/noiserock/: this is the third or fourth one

Get in here boys.

>What is noiserock?
An umbrella term for a section of post-hardcore music defined by having certain abrasive unmusical qualities; like squealing saxophones, odd time signatures, dissonance, or just lots of noisey feedback / effects.

>Where do I start?
Big Black - Atomizer
No Trend - Too Many Humans
The Jesus Lizard - Down

These exemplify the three main sounds found in noiserock.

>Now what?
Stick around.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Tn-hvdvZurY&t=66s
youtube.com/watch?v=LkV55oLGZtY&t=66s
youtube.com/watch?v=j3f1TPVEiVc
youtube.com/watch?v=D1yRQmwrIVA
youtube.com/watch?v=0wgA9L5TN5M
youtube.com/watch?v=qmA7nzR20rU
youtube.com/watch?v=AWEpzs_Birk
youtube.com/watch?v=RRq7MPcn3RU
youtube.com/watch?v=lvykduwiNCs
m.youtube.com/watch?v=SX_VQ8Hw6tA
m.youtube.com/watch?v=gPQIMA6H6F8
youtube.com/watch?v=kYaOotIWxu0
youtube.com/watch?v=4376wGPphBU
m.youtube.com/watch?v=St7fNZxeYVs
m.youtube.com/watch?v=KfrK-BlQtos
youtube.com/watch?v=viqOIqGLLgI
youtube.com/watch?v=U6f9BV-8yAw
youtube.com/watch?v=HCxodRXo74c
youtube.com/watch?v=14diWj2hzIg
youtube.com/watch?v=k8eIXTJKrlU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Starting topic: What's the best contemporary noise-rock act around?

Cump

bump

Hands down the White Suns, they are untouchable in terms of conisitency and complexity. Saw them live in LA, and they blew my FUCKING mind

Where do I find people to make my noisy krauty tribal post-punk band?

Blue Daisies - Wilt is still better than 90% of noise rock amd is the intercession between The Birthday Party and Cop Shoot Cop

Also fuck you if you don't worship Brainiac

How should we know?

GNOD according to squigly

Anyone got some stuff that's more depressive rather than just purely angry?

You can try this band, Swivel Stick. They were a punk band band from Florida that also had a flair for the experimental. Think of them sorta like the Husker Du of the 90s. They only released one album, but had a second album in the works. The music was generally depressive stuff. Shame that second album never came out, it was looking to be pretty rad.

Album they released:
youtube.com/watch?v=Tn-hvdvZurY&t=66s
Album unreleased:
youtube.com/watch?v=LkV55oLGZtY&t=66s

So I starting by listening to Swans - Filth, and Big Black, and then quite a bit of noise rock. I need more really abrasive bands beyond entry level. Recs?

>Where do I start?
Add this:
youtube.com/watch?v=j3f1TPVEiVc
You in Southern California? Can hit me up man.

youtube.com/watch?v=D1yRQmwrIVA
youtube.com/watch?v=0wgA9L5TN5M
youtube.com/watch?v=qmA7nzR20rU

What part of So Cal you in? Im not that guy, but Im nearby Long Beach

Hello, I'm new.
Anything else similar to Public Strain?
>already heard their first album

I'm in Long Beach. zecchelovek is my Skype.

Wait fuck sorry that's my old one, lysosometon is my current.

Alright, attemoting to add you

have you heard the guitarist/singer's other project?
youtube.com/watch?v=AWEpzs_Birk

I've heard Preoccupations but not this. I'll check it out, thanks

>post-hardcore music

What the fuck
So, Les Rallizes Denudes, Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr, Boredoms, The Gordons, Loop and others aren't noise rock just because they aren't post-hardcore? lol what

evening boys, chartnigga reporting in

whatcha got chart nigga

still listening to alot of stuff, i have like 80/90 albums i have to listen to lmao.
so far ive fallen in love with afrirampo, figured that atomizer>SAF, boris are incredible and boredoms are a trance. also swans early stuff > their newer and revival stuff

Pop Tatari has the most cathartic song of all time, fucking incredible. This is really the height of noise rock for me:
youtube.com/watch?v=RRq7MPcn3RU
Skip to 4:30 for y'all impatient fools.

christ bro thats insane, when everything came in after that brush my (?) 8 that was intense, definetly not my kind of music but i absolutely love that part and the more ambient bits like around the 8 minute mark

this is my favorite album

Those are post-punk at least

And they are noise rock
Calm your tits

LRD, Dinosaur Jr, Boredoms and Loop are not post punk

I'm not going to argue with you, call it what you want

I agree, that definition is terrible, I can't stand post-hardcore influenced crap, most of the stuff I like about noise rock I think came from post-punk, industrial or free improv.

>most of the stuff I like about noise rock I think came from post-punk, industrial or free improv.
Can you namedrop some bands?

I don't think there's an album without vocals that expresses pure anger better than Machine Gun.

i'm sorry if that came out as pretentious, that was not the intent, i just don't like post-hardcore

but anyway it's the usual stuff everybody here likes too, swans, sonic youth, dna, mars, ramleh (the rockier side of them), skullflower, boris, a place to bury strangers, big black (yeah i know, but never felt them to be 'post-hardcore', the drums remind me of industrial rock), fushitsusha, distorted pony, brainbombs

What don't you dig about post-hardcore? And thanks for that list.

I'm in East LA, play guitar and have a few songs/noises. My Skype is:
[email protected]

>post-hardcore
i tried listening to the jesus lizard thinking it would be the harshest shit but it came down to sounding like heavy rock music with slightly weird vocals, emphasis on riffs instead of white noise and distortion, same thing goes for shellac, too technical (no wonder people classify it as math rock too)

also it might have something to the fact that i dislike hardcore punk as well

>i tried listening to the jesus lizard thinking it would be the harshest shit
>emphasis on riffs instead of white noise and distortion
There's the problem man. Gotta temper your expectations. Check this:
youtube.com/watch?v=lvykduwiNCs
Otherwise I understand your grievances.

Ruins is the only noise rock band looking at imo

thank you friend, i'll listen to the whole thing later, it's late as fuck here
so far the second track is nice, the first one the vocals were too angsty, i don't think that's noise rock still though

Besides the band that's about to be formed, what other noisy krauty tribal post-punk bands are there?

>shellac
>too technical
I love Shellac to death but they are the furthest thing from technical. Sure precise and tight, but it's very simple music. For their "noise rock" tracks

m.youtube.com/watch?v=SX_VQ8Hw6tA

m.youtube.com/watch?v=gPQIMA6H6F8
I'll admit Crow is a initially a patience tester, but after a while it became my favorite Albini song

youtube.com/watch?v=kYaOotIWxu0
Maybe?

youtube.com/watch?v=4376wGPphBU

do all the recording yourself and hire people for live shit with the warning that they probably won't like what they're playing

Ok just discovered this local band from 90's omaha called Ritual Device. Think Jesus Lizard just less dissonance, but more emphasis on sludgy bass lines

m.youtube.com/watch?v=St7fNZxeYVs (Live recording, check out the first song!)

(Studio album)
m.youtube.com/watch?v=KfrK-BlQtos

youtube.com/watch?v=viqOIqGLLgI

Really abrasive you say?
Check out:
Arab On Radar (last two LPs)
US Maple
DNA
John Zorn - Locus Solus
Melt Banana

yeah, op has no fucking clue on what they're talking about. a lot of noise rock comes from no wave, post punk or psych

Holy shit, im listening to Hideous Sun Demon in the background while im drawing, and holy shit this is really good, i prefer it over lightning bolt, this is some good shit boys, thanks for reccing it to me!
and the goslings bro

Pretty sure they're talking about Boredoms
youtube.com/watch?v=U6f9BV-8yAw

laddio bolocko

: )

Pretty good opening track on the studio album, just the production is a little lackluster

I shit you not it was recorded by David Wm Sims in Albini's house in 92 or 93. But I agree, very unprofessional and flat sounding.

im still listening and its only impressing me more and more, an incredible LP, definitely underrated. not to mention theyre from my home country as well. fuck im gonna have to buy the vinyl just to support them that bit more

The most underrated noise rock album ever.
youtube.com/watch?v=HCxodRXo74c

daughters

>Where do I start?
>Big Black - Atomizer
>No Trend - Too Many Humans
>The Jesus Lizard - Down

>These exemplify the three main sounds found in noiserock.

pretty cancerous post op not gonna lie

sonic youth and dinosaur jr aren't fucking noise rock get that bullshit out of here

>Doesn't posit alternatives

with a statement as autistic as
>These exemplify the three main sounds found in noiserock.
why should i even bother?

Is this noise rock? Also melt banana?

>Still not positing alternatives

christ, her character was god fucking awful in TD

yeah. both are pretty heavy on the grindcore

That's more like prog, not noisy. GREAT album though.

Just for clarification, could The Pop Group's Y be considered noise rock?

Can you link some prog as abrasive sounding as that? Genuine question, not a snipe or snark.

Of course, have you not heard of brutal prog?
youtube.com/watch?v=14diWj2hzIg

I guess it's more noisejazz than noiserock but can I get some recs that sound like this?
youtube.com/watch?v=k8eIXTJKrlU
Masayuki Takayanagi - Mass Hysterism in Another Situation

I'M A PLANE
I'M A PLAAAAAAAAANE

Yeah that's pretty much noisy free-improv.

Intradasting. At around 6:10 what stops this from being called noise rock?

Well you're just picking out a moment. Overall this record is brutal prog. But The Flying Luttenbachers have changed around a lot, some of their records are definitely closer to noise rock (like The Void), but they're part of a more brutal prog aesthetic, like Yowie, Ruins, etc..

I thought Ruins was zeuhl? Do you know of any noise-zeuhl?

>Well you're just picking out a moment
Yes, and Mosaic is filled with tons of moments of noise rock. The ending of Suite Circle, the climax of Martzmer, the intro of Suite Circle, Emer's beginning and ending, it goes on. I will concede and say it's not ENTIRELY noise rock, but it most DEFINITELY has noise rock in it as a prime element, along with free-jazz, and this brutal prog.

This is what all noise rock bands should aim for, unapologetic and cathartic music with over-the-top lyrics, poorly recorded. Not that Albini trash.

The vocals aren't nearly as visceral as something from Boredoms. I'd love it if more bands aped these kinds of sounds:

Yes it has elements of various things, but really, genre is obsolete. The Luttenbachers are definitely brutal prog, Weasel even coined the term. So you know, if labels make you feel safe and comfortable, by all means lump things in little boxes for your mental health. It's all just music to me, no need to confine and limit things, that just leads to reducing creative possibilities, which is never good.

Ruins are zeuhl but started out noisier. Lightning Bolt are another bass and drums duo that remind me of them but are definitely more noise rock. If you care.

Lol get off my dick ya jerk. You're the one who started this conversation by interjecting Mosaic is more like prog. Then when I point out the moments in the album that are indicative of noise you double back and go "genre is obsolete" while coming at me with this bullshit:
>So you know, if labels make you feel safe and comfortable, by all means lump things in little boxes for your mental health
Fuck off you jerk. Can't even stick to your guns or have a normal conversation. Funny thing is I agree with you about genre labeling. I posted Mosaic because it's relevant to the topic of the thread, or didn't you notice?

Who's that drummer in the OP pic? I can count on one hand the number of true lefty drummers I've met in my life, they're really interesting to me.

>This is what all noise rock bands should aim for
Than it would sound boring

Then*

That is a pic of twin stumps.

BIG

What's wrong with Albini?

YOU SICK FUCK
YOU HAVR LIPSTICK
ON
YOUR
DICK

Besides Oxbow, White Suns and Metz any other noise rock records from 2017 to look out for?

FOR TEN DOLLARS
YOUR ASS IS MIIINE

Love that record.

Literally what albini does, but with exceptional recording quality

i prefer urge to kill desu

at the handbag factory? lmao i was there

>playing the same guitar riff over and over while yelling about rape is better than Albinicore
high level contrarianism

GNOD desu

y'all keep talking about noise rock yet you're forgetting early Swans.

It is better

girl band is pretty fire. they need to release another record

Cop and Young God EP are the only stuff worth checking out from that era of theirs