Boss is a 7 foot tall asthmatic cyborg

> Boss is a 7 foot tall asthmatic cyborg
> Who has a laser sword that can cut through anything
> And can crush peoples' throats with his mind
> Motti knows all this because these Jedi people were running around blowing up droid armies single handed when he was young
> Makes fun of the guy's religion to his face

For the record: If you did this in real life, where you're at a meeting and your boss says "We're hitting our sales targets" and you say "EARNIN' MORE SHEKELS, MR. GOLDSTEIN? I BET YOU LIKE THAT YOU FUCKING JEW." the least that would happen is you'd get fired. If your boss had a laser sword and sounded like James Earl Jones, he'd probably stab you, too.

Look at this smarmy fuck.

Maybe he was having a bad day?

Maybe he comes from the deep south part of the galaxy. They're all Baptists down there and don't get exposed to many sith lords.

>Boss

That's the first mistake. As written, Vader is just a goon in Star Wars. He's like a high ranking SS officer tasked with something specific: retrieve the stolen data tapes. Take note of now NO ONE in the first film makes mention of his size, or armor. Motti totally out ranks him. He has nothing to fear from some punk like Vader.

>> Who has a laser sword that can cut through anything

Again, that's prequels onwards. Light Sabers in the originals are just as good as regular swords. They just spark off most things, cut others. Not the invincible swords that we see later.

> And can crush peoples' throats with his mind

Nigga didn't know that.

> Motti knows all this because these Jedi people were running around blowing up droid armies single handed when he was young

Again, prequels induced plot holes. The first film STRONGLY implies that Jedi went away a long, long time ago.

>That's the first mistake. As written, Vader is just a goon in Star Wars. He's like a high ranking SS officer tasked with something specific: retrieve the stolen data tapes. Take note of now NO ONE in the first film makes mention of his size, or armor. Motti totally out ranks him. He has nothing to fear from some punk like Vader.

This is all that needs to be said. A general doesn't care that a soldier can beat him up in a fight.

>Again, prequels induced plot holes. The first film STRONGLY implies that Jedi went away a long, long time ago.
It's not unlikely he never saw a Jedi. There were about 10,000 jedi in a galaxy of 100,000,000,000,000 people. Most never saw a jedi in their lives

Darth Vader's authority in the Empire was very vague at first. He was basically viewed as a hit man for the Emperor by many of the top-ranking officials in that government. Even in this scene (among others) Vader's will is undermined by Tarkin, who he seems to answer to. Basically Darth was Sheev's bitch and nothing more. This seems to change following the destruction of the first Death Star, however. You can see why Motti would mock Vader because he has no established, concrete authority over him.

But I joke about shit with my boss all the time. He's a cool nigga that likes to fuck around.

>It makes sense if I forget about literally all the other star wars movies

The problem is that you are aware of the meta errors the prequels create. The only logical way to look at the original trilogy is in a vacuum separate from the prequels, but good luck explaining that to the eight year olds in Sup Forums

Why were the prequels so terrible?

He insulted him a little bit

They weren't, go back to binge watching plinkett like a good little 14 year old

>The first film STRONGLY implies that Jedi went away a long, long time ago.
no, Luke's age shows that it didn't happen that long ago

t.14 year old

no u

>today told my boss one day i'd be CEO, but he'd be dribbling in a wheelchair at that time
>he laughs like an idiot

gotta get the timing right though

>They weren't
Oh the delusion

REEEEEEEEEEEE

not delusion, I just watched episode 2 today and it was good. Sorry you little pissbaby

>That's the first mistake. As written, Vader is just a goon in Star Wars.

No, he's second in command after the Emperor. ESB and RotJ made that clear.

>episode 2 today and it was good
Look, I see you're trying real hard today, but fuck off.

keep baiting me, I'm not biting. It was a great movie. I loved it. I already watched it like 10 times on VHS, today I saw it on Blu Ray. Sorry I didn't hate it like lardass Mike from RLM, but I'm not an edgy contraction. Most people love the prequels :)

Jedi were the stuff of legends even when they actually existed. Most people never saw one, as they kept themselves and their practices largely secret. The galaxy in Star Wars is a huge place with many more backwoods planets than civilized "core worlds." We mostly see the dealings of high ranking government and aristocracy who are largely educated on the existence and purpose of the Jedi, and that skews the average viewer's perception of how Jedi were actually viewed by most people on a galactic scale.

Correction - he became second in command somewhere during the timeskip. He answered to Tarkin before.

>everybody who disagrees with me only does it because of some dumb youtube video

>They're all Baptists down there and don't get exposed to many sith lords
The concept of "The Sith" was actually never mentioned in the original trilogy; Vader was considered a fallen jedi and the Emperor was never implied to have any relation to jedi at all

He could still be Sheev's right-hand man and still be assigned to the Death Star to assist Tarkin, who had actual command of the station.

No, he only listened to Tarkin because the Death Star was under Tarking's command.

Let me explain this to you autists
Have you heard of Buddhism ? Yes, probably. It's an ancient religion. Some Buddhists are totally devoted to it, but most are extremely casual, having limited understanding of it's deepest principles, and ignoring most of it's moral precepts when they are unpleasant or inconvenient to follow (celibacy, renunciation, vegetarianism).

Are you a Buddhist, or do you know anyone who (actually) is ? Likely not, but you know something about it, even if it is a misconception. You know it exists and people believe in it, but you probably don't. Even in China and Japan, people don't always say "I'm a Buddhist" because they consider "being a Buddhist" to be total dedication, in other words, a monk.

Lucas had very little plan for the plot of the full trilogy when he made ANH thus many things change during the course of the series. Vader was never supposed to be Luke's father or the second in command of a galactic empire. There are glaring inconsistencies throughout the series, you don't need to try and explain them within the context of the story

Have you ever heard of Shaolin monks ? Most of you have, but few have ever met or seen one in the flesh. They really exist, though. Some have claimed, and some people believe, that their religious discipline allows them to perform supernatural feats, including, but not limited to: incredible fighting ability, superhuman endurance and senses, killing with one finger or even without touching, and levitation. There are many movies and stories about this. But most people, even if they are Buddhists, don't believe this. Someone who does, even if they were a monk, would be considered a little wacky, especially by ordinary joes, like say a handsome, devil may care drug runner or a smug and condescending millitary officer.

If all buddhists in the world officially commanded armies in the largest war in the recent history, it would be a valid analogy. But it's not, and Lucas is a hack.

So imagine Colin Powell is getting ready to invade Iraq, and for some reason he has this monk hanging around him. No one really knows why this monk is hanging around, but he's Cheney's right hand man, and has some mysterious history with him so has to be treated respectfully. While the Joint Chiefs Of Staff are discussing invasion plans, the monk says "all your weapons of war are insignificant compared to shaolin kung fu" So general Petraues is like "ok, MR Miyagi, but grownups are talking"

And then the monk hadoukens him.

That's what happens in that scene.

>Watch this atheist's rhetoric get DESTROYED by humble asthmatic religious man

Kek, best analogy

>mfw people think ancient means something long dead

It's unclear. He calls it an ancient religion, and people like Han are dismissive of it, so the organized jedi order was probably long gone or people would've remembered that shit. Maybe people like obi wan were part of some underground chapter. At the very least they wouldn't be involved in the fucking government of the galaxy.

We may never know how stuff would've played out if Lucas fucking watched his own fucking movies before slapping together a script.

this deserves a screencap

There are literally hundreds of trillions of people in the galaxy and thousands of planets. There are 10,000 jedi max in the galaxy in the prequels. Of course most people have never seen them. And from Episode V onward Lucas already had planned the story of the prequels and a sequel trilogy

>That's what happens in that scene.
Yeah except with the prequels, they all know that Mortal Kombat happened literally 20 years ago and Earthrealm ended up being conquered by the Outworld.

since midichlorians live in the blood, how much power did vader lose when he lost his legs and arm?
how much did luke lose when his hand got cut off?

Eh, others have pointed out that there are trillions of sentient beings in the galaxy, and millions if not billions of inhabited planets. The films focus on a handful of characters, largely representing a single species, and the fighting that we see occurs on a paltry scattering of planets. There are probably Americans that don't realize the Korean War and Vietnam were two different conflicts. Most sentient beings in the universe probably have almost no experience and even less factual knowledge of the Jedi and the events depicted, and are probably scientifically incapable of giving less of a shit.There are probably planets that found out the Empire was even a thing like 5 years before ANH

>There are probably Americans that don't realize the Korean War and Vietnam were two different conflicts.
Yeah but they're probably not in fucking Powell's war room.

Best analogy

They would at the very least have heard of them. I've never seen Obama, but I'm pretty sure he exists.

I will tell my children about you user.

The people in that room are not likely to be the type that habitually question the foundation of their education and moral and political beliefs, which in the case of the Imperial officers was "The Empire is Awesome, The Emperor is all powerful and wise, and Jedi were terrorists and charlatans"

It really doesnt matter what he knew or didnt know. The man was one of the top military leaders in the galaxy, he was arrogant about the Death Star. Then Vader the guy who just failed his job, claims some abstract thing only he is connected is more powerful than their ultimate weapon. So he insulted Vader for failing and bringing up some weird abstract thing during a military council, Vader force chokes him unexpectedly. He knew Vader could hurt him in a thousand ways, he just never expected it. The other people dont react like they just witnessed something unheard of, they are just surprised it was being done and to see the force in action for the first time.

Based user.

>As written, Vader is just a goon in Star Wars.

Maybe in Episode 4. But starting in Episode 5, he's clearly the Emperor's second-in-command. You don't give orders to admirals and murder them on a whim unless you're somebody really high up.

These men are in their 40s. They were grown men before the Empire even existed. In fact there were almost certainly junior officers in the army of the Republic WHICH THE JEDI WERE GENERALS OF.

>He knew Vader could hurt him in a thousand ways, he just never expected it.

It's like when a real-life general treats a special ops soldier like shit. In the back of his head, he knows the guy could kill him in seconds, but he expects his rank to protect him.

But these men almost certainly served in the Clone Wars, which only happened 20 years ago. So odds are that they've seen the Jedi in action. Unless the Jedi were only assigned to lead clones or something.

Tbf, it's completely possible that these guys only served on ships and in a support capacity while the clones and Jed did the actual fighting on the front lines. So some of the more skeptical among them (like the guy in this scene) might have believed that these stories about the Jedi having magic powers were just myths.

Yeah, I'm sure there weren't any holovids or anything of any battle ever, right?

Include me in the screencap guyz XD

It's like saying only a few dozen guys were actually on the planes that dropped the nukes on Japan, so it totally makes sense for military officers not to believe in the existence of nuclear weapons.

Pretty sure they're all stored in the penis, seeing as only men can use the force

>implying anything after the original trilogy counts

And yet in the prequels some random uneducated, 6 year old slave on a backwater planet was able to identify a lightsaber

But how does Vader get away by killing a general?

Lol, jealous faggot.

It's a completely different scale, though. We're talking about an army of literally billions of soldiers, in a galaxy of trillions of people, with a few thousand Jedi at most. And nobody is saying that they don't believe the Jedi exist, just that they don't have magical powers. Think of them like the ninja in feudal japan, who were rumored to have magic powers even though nowadays we know that's bullshit.

>so it totally makes sense for military officers not to believe in the existence of nuclear weapons

For what it's worth, a number of high-ranking military officers were convinced that the atomic bombs wouldn't even detonate until the day the first one was actually dropped.

Luke says that Leia can use the force in Episode VI, though. She just hasn't been taught how to yet.

There was no army of the republic till the second or third prequel, and it was all over in, ten years tops. According to the same retarded prequels, most of the army at that point consisted of clones, who it may be presumed are mostly strangers to independent thought, as that was kind of the whole point. Even if one of those clones rose to the rank of general and got plactic surgery to not look like Jango Fett, he'd still likely be pretty disdainful of the Jedi, since if he interacted with them at all, he participated in killing one, so probably thinks their not so tough after all. Furthermore, the Jedi we see in action are some of the most powerful Jedi to ever live. Most were much less powerful. So I guess you have a point if Motti was a clone, became a general, had surgery, and just happened to be in Yoda's squad.

Why when sheev says "ORDER 66", the clones say "Yes my Lord".
I thought order 66 was just an order to kill the jedy.

What about Leia being able to sense Luke when he's hanging under Cloud City and when he survives the Death Star explosion?

>So I guess you have a point if Motti was a clone, became a general, had surgery, and just happened to be in Yoda's squad.

The very highest ranking officers in the Republic army were all non-clones. The clones were just cannon fodder. That's where the likes of Motti and Tarkin served during the war, and why the Empire is so staggeringly incompetent compared to the Republic.

Holy shit, mind blown.

Two ways to look at it:

1. "My lord" is a way to refer to the Chancellor in the Star Wars universe

2. Order 66 also includes recognition of the Chancellor as Emperor

You think they didn't have news or tv?

LOL. What if Vader was Italian, and when this dude was mouthing off he was all

>Don't get fresh, Motti

Vader: "Forza Juve"

>not "Watch it, Motti"

tsk tsk

>Empire is so staggeringly incompetent compared to the Republic.

Empire
staggeringly incompetent
compared to the Republic.

If you didn't watch the movies, why argue about them? One of the main points of the prequels was that the Empire was able to rise in the first place due to the incompetence of the Republic.

But Jedi actually could levitate

He's gonna murder you user

Or at least knee cap you so you can watch while he plays basketball

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Dark Side, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on the Empire, and I have over 300 confirmed jedi kills. I am trained in force choke and I’m the top sith in the entire Empire forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Galaxy, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Death Star? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of drones across the Empire and your location is being traced right now so you better prepare for the stormtroopers, maggot. The stormtroopers that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the Death Star and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the galaxy, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

I'm talking about the military specifically. Look at the Republic's military in the movies (and in the EU if you're a faggot with no life). The clones are organized, smart, they can actually hit whatever they're aiming at, win despite being absurdly outnumbered, and have superheroes leading them into battle. The Empire's military routinely gets embarrassed despite insane numerical/technological superiority, their soldiers can't hit the broadside of a barn, and their flagship gets solo'd by the space equivalent of a rowboat.

Huh?

>It's a retirement moon!

Just realized that my original point might have been unclear. I meant that the Empire was incompetent because they no longer had the same number of clones to work with. They had to rely on random citizens, presumably conscripts.

>implying that Vader wouldn't be a Lazio fan

>even though nowadays we know that's bullshit.
get out. denial of glorious nippon.

And they have leadership like Captain "Give up the plans in 1 minute" Phasma.

She probably lead the elite legion on Endor

He's the emperor's butt buddy

I enjoyed this edition

Vader is a personal agent of the Emperor, he can go wherever he wants and do whatever he wants.

Well yeah, Leia looks like a tranny so of course she would be able to use the force just a little bit

Her reward for being the manliest chick in the galaxy

Ok, were veering off the subject at hand though, which is whether or not it was reasonable for an Imperial Military Officer to be skeptical of the force, or even beyond that skepticism, whether or not he reasonably might have expected to treat Vader with smug disdain and not be assaulted.

t. faggot

>whether or not he reasonably might have expected to treat Vader with smug disdain and not be assaulted

I think he would. Going off of the EU stuff out there, it seems like Vader didn't have an official rank in between Episodes III and IV. He's just known as an ex-Jedi who works for the Emperor. So the officers on the Death Star, who are almost certainly really high up, could reasonably expect to treat him like shit and get away with it because they have a rank while he's just a glorified assassin/spec ops soldier.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. So if you're the guy I was arguing with, we've reached consensus, yay for us !

Hah

You're a homo