What is your favourite whiskey? Mine is Ardbeg 10 year old...

What is your favourite whiskey? Mine is Ardbeg 10 year old. I really want to try some new peaty Scotches so if anybody can suggest any under €100, I'd appreciate it

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chill_filtering
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Good choice old bean. Try laphroig

Spelling Scotch whisky with an "e".
What a connoisseur.

This.

Also, pic related.

U jelly fag?

Ardbeg is fucking disgusting. It's way too petey.

I always have a bottle of Origin in the cabinet.

Lagavulin, Laphroaig.

Pretty much any islay is good.

lord calvert

Holy shit!! How much was that?

Highland park 12 yr or Einar
Lagavullin
Oban 14

My bad, good sir

I tried Laphroaig 10 and the quarter cask and Laphroaig 10 is definitely one to remember. Very powerful whisky!!

I buy about 2 dozen of their special releases every year. I think it worked out to be about $100 dollarydoos per bottle

Yea, they do a nice drop. It makes me cry when I see tryhard faggots mixing it with coke though.

Laphroaig 10 yrs.
People with taste still exist.

Tbh, anybody who mixes an Islay whisky with anything other than a teaspoon of water, doesn't deserve to be drinking said whisky

This, fucking this!
You wanna mix your shit? Then get some vodka, that shit exists for that.
Leave whisky alone.

Laphroaig and Lagavullin

shit whisky, tastes only smoke, nothing else

Basically everything from Islay.

You do that with J&B or Red Label when you want to get shitfaced cheap and quick, not to enjoy a good whisky. Sometimes you just want to get your shit wrecked, though.

That's why people buy it, though. Peated whisky is like black coffee; it's van acquired taste that isn't for everyone.

this or Highland Park

What else you want to drink while sitting by the fire in the moonlight? If the smoke taste is too much then try pic related. Smoke is milder but still the drink itself is very smooth.

No way is it that expensive. Here in the UK that shit is half the price.

I've never actually tried Ardmore but heard nothing but good reviews of it. Gonna put this down on my wishlist, for sure! Thanks

>non chill filtered
what did they mean by this?

Nice

Lagavulin is the unbeatable peater.
Laphroaig 15yo comes damn close.

Springbank is sublime beauty. If you really
dig the zesty mineral side of your Ardbeg go
there next. Unbelievable.

Best unpeated whisky IMHO - Glendronach 15
the "revival" version and Bruichladdich 10yo.

I know. We get taxed to shit in Australia.

Not sure

I ordered Highland Park Harald and Highland Park Fire Edition and some other Whiskys some days ago, but I haven't tasted yet.

Without googling, I think it's a process where they chill the whisky to the point where ice crystals start to form. Then they filter those crystals out. It's to make it clear and not cloudy.

I think Ardmore (Or bould be Aberlour) is the only non-chill filtered whisky as standard.

But, y'know... google/wiki.

Really like the 10 yo and quarter. QA and PX cask s were nice deviation from the normal taste. Avoid Select cask.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chill_filtering

Thanks a lot for the suggestions man. Springbank is another one that nearly ever gets a negative review! Gonna write everyone's suggestions down

bingo
"Since this process is believed to sometimes affect the taste of the whisky, for example by removing peat particles that contribute to the 'smokiness' of the flavour, some distilleries pride themselves on not using this process. Non-chill-filtered whisky is often advertised as being more 'natural,' 'authentic,' or 'old-fashioned.' For example, the Aberlour Distillery's distinctively flavoured A'bunadh whisky, Laphroaig's Quarter Cask bottles, and all of Springbank distillery's whiskies are not chill-filtered, and are advertised as such."

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chill_filtering
weird how they consider it "old fashioned" yet have an 18 step process removing a bunch of things that so-called "natural" whiskey would have.

Do know much about it myself, but i do know that my parents drink mainly ardbeg and talisker. So im assuming that talisker is somewhat in a similar taste categorie. I do believe that its also a bit cheaper.

It's the modern world we live in. People have a preconception of what something should look like, and won't buy it if it isn't.

The head on beer used to be made by carbon gasses caught in the imperfections in the glass and would bubble.

Nowadays, glass is so perfectly made, there are no imperfections. But we want a head on our beer. So they add it at on purpose at the time of pouring.

Can Soup otherwise known as Canadian Superior because I am a man of fine taste.

Talisker is very peaty. It's too much for me, but I know people who love it.

not jelly

yeah i don't care for head. (jokes ensue)

crazy how people would want to pay more for less content.

Sweet mother of god... you're teasing me here

Nigga likes his whisky peaty.

Yeah and the good thing about Talisker is that my local store sells it and it's fairly reasonably priced, too so I might buy it soon on the next pay day

What does peaty mean?

i liek jak danels

How's Cardeas?

>assuming they aren't all empty

It's like a smoky/ashy taste. I can't really compare it to anything but if you can imagine what wet ash would taste like mixed with salt/brine and some smoke– that's what peaty tastes like

Nice, ever drink them?

Again, withouot googling it. I think it't when they use dried peat to dry out the barley. This makes the taste very smooth, but also very smokey.

Some people like it. Some people don't. Personally I'm not a fan. I usually drink Isle of Jura Origin or Aberfeldy.

This one or the 12y Hibiki.

Super smooth so even beginners can enjoy it but great tast for experts too.

Ah ye, i do definitly understand what you mean if i imagine the taste of my parents whisky choices. Apparently they like peaty whiskies then. I guess i quite do so aswell, allthough im not really familiar with the others tastes.

Man, I'm always blown away at how good Japanese whisky is.

Last one I tried was pic related and it's fucking lovely.

The Ardbeg and the Cairdeas is something i want to spare for a special moment. Maybe the first Scotch with my son along with a good cuban cigar?

The Laphroaig Cask Strenght really good.

Pic is my collection. Ardbeg is great. Personal favourite is Talisker. Has the perfect amount of peat for me. I love the 10 for it's high quality with a low price tag. The 25 is something else though.

D'oh!

Ardbeg is super smoky. So you've got to have a very developed sense for the taste already or be a addicted smoker.

this made my fucking day

What's that square one on the bottom shelf? Is it Japanese? And 50% or something?

If it's what I think it is, I've tried it and it's fucking crazy.

Wasn't Talisker the one that has a salty after taste?

Can anyone of you please explain to me (someone who doesnt know much about alcohol) why it is that expensive stuff always tastes so much smoother/softer than cheap stuff?

What a collection!! Hard to believe that Talisker is your favourite even though you've tried all of that! Just goes to show that cheap doesn't always mean bad

In what way is the 25 different when it comes to taste? MY parents love talisker 10 so ive been thinking about maybe buying the 25 for them sometimes, but im wondering if its worth it.

>Ardbeg

Strong-arm, is that you?

At a guess, I would say quality (cost) of ingredients. The length of time it takes to make, and the length of time in the barrel.

All these add up, so you pay more for it.

Cheap shit is shat out, so they sell a lot for a little amount.

Had this awhile back and I don't like rum but the bit of spice from the barrel at the end was pretty nice

Square one is the Nikka from the barrel. Indeed Japanese. It certainly has a kick to it yeah. Definitely one that I personally prefer with a drop of water. Great whisky though

I visited a lot of distilleries when I was in Scotland. Loved it, but I will say I'm still a bourbon man when it comes to everyday drinking.

Talisker is famous for its (sea)salty taste yeah.

It means that there is an amount of peat taste in it; which is used to fuel the fires to stop the fermentation (creation of sugars that will turn into alcohol) of wet grains. Peat is soil, that consists of layers of dried vegetation, earth, sheep droppings of hundreds and thousands of years.

>everyday drinking
It's called alcoholism you fucking hobo

Hey guys
whats a good babbys first whisky recommended to someone who doesnt care for whisky but wanna learn?

Thats a beautiful bottle

Laphroaig 15y is my favorite and go to whisky. However I tried some japanese whisky about month ago on a trip and was surprized to find out that it was really good one, not as smoky as Laphroaig, but still quite smoky. I did ask the name of it from the bartender but I completely forgot the name, would anyone here have any ideas what it might be? What I can remember is that according to the barkeep it was on the same price range as Lagavulin 10y.

This, for Scotch

Cheap definitely doesn't mean bad. Nor does age indicate quality or are single malts always better than blended whiskys. A lot of it is just personal taste. I'm sure some people find Talisker undrinkable. All in all, it's a whisky that is fantastic for its price range and one that I refill as soon as the bottle empties (which is often)

This for bourbon

O M F G

I mean, i always have around ten bottles open at the same time, but this i far better than the average Whiskybar!

Congratulation!

I've been wary of this brand because I didn't think japanese whisky would be good but I've seen a few people get it and was thinking of trying it

You're going to get everyone's personal choice now.

My advice is to go to a bar that is known for it's whisky, and try a few. Ask them for peaty and non-peaty and see which you prefer.

But why I'm here, I'd say Auchentoshan. Cos it's very nice (you can actually taste vanilla in it) and not too expensive.

Oh, and it's non-peaty.

you are a man of class. I have around 100 bottles, about 80 of them open.

Bushmills is my shit, have you had black? Ive been thinking of trying out the red

lousy sex with your mom drives men drink. But you knew that already.

Just got their small batch bourbon as an anniversary gift and I love it, probably the best bourbon I've had other than Elijah craig small batch

My collection

The 25 is... subtle. Really no other way to describe it. It lacks a lot of the smokiness and salt of younger bottlings. It's still present but instead of the peppery taste of the 10 it's far sweeter and softer. I'd heartily reccommend it but make sure you haven't had any other whiskys before this one. You'll find it difficult to pick up much if you do.

Well damn... THAT is a true collection. Totally not jealous...

Thank you I will try this one.

Money is of no consequence I am a huge admirer of people pouring their soul into any kind of craft in any field. I dont mind paying a bit extra for it.

And the picture is even outdated already... (taken a year ago) Added some more very nice bottles in the mean time.

But one of the main things they love about the 10 is the smokiness and the salty taste. Would the 25 still be a good choice then? Or might the 10 just be better?

Went to Japan last autumn and my friend asked me to buy Hakushu 12 yo for him. Thought I should buy some for me as well. There was only one bottle for sale near my hotel and tried to hunt for another but could not find one. Had to settle for regular non-aged Yamazaki which was pretty decent. Still waiting for my friend to open that bottle so I could get a taste.

Tfw when m dad would have made the ardbeg you're drinking.

I did tour guiding there for a bit too

Of course I do, who didn't grow up with an abusive drunk for a dad.