Any bands similar to Godspeed or Swans...

Any bands similar to Godspeed or Swans? Pretty much just any albums that include large crescendos and a build up style song structure.

I want to listen to something large and epic.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kxikCYWX104
youtube.com/watch?v=j1HeIpHMC_o
youtube.com/watch?v=2qW41XeJDKA
youtube.com/watch?v=s_sZ3dt7YUQ
youtube.com/watch?v=n2EcnpVfBLE
youtube.com/watch?v=hZDstZ1-EAI
youtube.com/watch?v=bdSSGh7WbDA
youtube.com/watch?v=2feinkFlSnk
youtube.com/watch?v=5Jt3-fTc9Ys
youtube.com/watch?v=3tnFwxP5n2I
youtube.com/watch?v=qwT6Zj0YaaA
youtube.com/watch?v=GflC3xmtLTk
youtube.com/watch?v=WbZBWUlpzbI
youtube.com/watch?v=co5gy_2uOEY
youtube.com/watch?v=lRixMmJSaw8
youtube.com/watch?v=4tZamFKyPwM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

shellac
glenn branca
sonic youth

early mogwai

this but don't listen to any sonic youth past daydream nation

You'll enjoy this album:
youtube.com/watch?v=kxikCYWX104
Gonna look in my library for others.

Yep. You're probably looking for Post-Rock. Not all Post-Rock includes builds and crescendos, but its pretty common for the genre.

>I want to listen to something large and epic.
Try these two on for size and let me know what you think

youtube.com/watch?v=j1HeIpHMC_o
(And yes, this sounds like an electronic song, but 65dos is a pretty big Post-Rock band, and Tiger Girl is fucking amazing)

youtube.com/watch?v=2qW41XeJDKA

I'm pretty into the genre, so if you want more, ask

stravinsky and mingus

Klaus Schulze - Irrlicht
youtube.com/watch?v=s_sZ3dt7YUQ
Ambient journey into space, really chaotic and then a big come down. Glorious.
-Cyborg
youtube.com/watch?v=n2EcnpVfBLE
Bonus track off his Cyborg album re-release. Truly an epic song in all meanings.

Boris - Flood
youtube.com/watch?v=hZDstZ1-EAI
And that's all I got as far crescendos and shit.

This will destroy yous aight

They're more atmospheric than anything else. OP wants big builds, tension, then crescendos.

TWDY is very textural.

holy shit thanks user

No problem brother.
I cannot recommend this album enough. I think it's something you'd enjoy (if you're OP). Here's the ending of the album, which chronicles the Challenger Disaster. Fucking amazing stuff, because the whole album kind of builds to this point thematically.
youtube.com/watch?v=bdSSGh7WbDA

>mfw swans ripped off gy!be

i'm not op but i appreciate sharing some new music i haven't heard. will definitely check them out, i've already made a playlist for farewell poetry's hoping for the invisible to ignite

I fucking hate Reagan but hearing him talk about touching the face of God at the end of the album fucks me up

dude there's so much good stuff out there. listen to these recs!!!! you will love them

kairon; IRSE
youtube.com/watch?v=2feinkFlSnk

The Ascent of Everest - How Lonely Sits This City
youtube.com/watch?v=5Jt3-fTc9Ys

Yndi Halda - Enjoy Eternal Bliss
youtube.com/watch?v=3tnFwxP5n2I

Mooncake - Lagrange Points
youtube.com/watch?v=qwT6Zj0YaaA

Grails - Black Tar Prophecies
youtube.com/watch?v=GflC3xmtLTk

Everything Is Made In China - After Rock (from the album 4.)
youtube.com/watch?v=WbZBWUlpzbI

mooncake is very crescendocore but they are one of my all time favorites. i think they're russian?

a lot of people will say to listen to bands like mogwai, explosions in the sky, russian circles, mono, this will destroy you, god is an astronaut and all the others, and you definitely should! but i specifically picked some less popular bands because post rock is a wonderful genre with a surprising amount of variety. also be sure to check out a silver mt zion, which is the people from gy!be not making gy!be music. also i'll just spitball some other bands without links

caspian
joywantseternity
sky flying by
epic45
caspian
zbogom, adja
riding alone for thousands of miles
if these trees could talk
rachel's
balmorhea

I can vouch, this album is amazingly well done. I don't really care for third wave shit, but I'll listen to Departure Songs all day

Good, good. Farewell poetry is fantastic stuff. If you kinda like the symphonic stuff, maybe check out my boys Yndi Halda. Enjoy Eternal Bliss is killer.

It's so fucking perfect, especially in the context of the album, how the whole thing is about epic, yet failed moments in human history. Really sums up the spirit of the album with "We got our asses kicked, but we'll be back out there another day"

GREAT list. Ascent of Everest is fantastic. If I Could Move Mountains fucking RULES

>kairon; IRSE
I'm having trouble seeing these lads as Post-Rock, because to me they've always been Shoegaze. Either way, good album worth checking out.

>Yndi Halda
One of my all time favorites. Wayyyy underrated. I liken them to a happy version of Godspeed.

>Mooncake
Good album as well. Short Stories From the Methuselah Tree is the best song on that album

>Grails
HO SHIT you got some taste going on in here. Grails is nice, especially Black Tar Prophecies. Also a big fan of Burning Off The Impurities. Makes me feel like I should be stoned in a Tibetan Monastery

My man

kairon; IRSE just gave me the same goosebumps that i got from listening to GY!BE for the first time. the layers and textures in a wall of sound that you can pick out and listen to are just incredible. it helps that that album is mixed exceptionally well for what it is. Idk if you've ever seen GYBE live but it felt the same way, like i was perceiving every sound at once. thanks for the compliments. i used to run a post-rock blog in the heyday of music blogs. RIP

Eh, maybe I'm just looking at Post-Rock from a narrow perspective, I could maybe see them as Post-Rock. To me the genre's always been about: Taking a traditional rock setup, but doing creative and interesting things with your music and sound. That includes textures, techniques, structure, etc.

>He's seen GY!BE live
God damn you lucky son of a bitch. I've heard of people not blinking during their entire set they're so good.

Mono fits the bill youtube.com/watch?v=co5gy_2uOEY

it was at the pitchfork music festival like 6 years ago. We smoked a good sized joint and camped out for hours to be like 30 feet away from the stage. It was actually almost spiritual. I was breathing with the music. I wouldn't call kairon; IRSE post rock for what its worth, i just get that same magic feel. I agree with you on your take on the genre. I think tortoise is a great example of taking the rock formula and turning it into a new thing entirely. Talk talk is on that list too

more like
>nothing past Washing Machine

>I think tortoise is a great example of taking the rock formula and turning it into a new thing entirely. Talk talk is on that list too
All fantastic bands that are quintessentially Post-Rock. But they're not as crescendo-y as I think OP wants

youtube.com/watch?v=lRixMmJSaw8

great thread, lads.

>no Labradford
>no Magnog
>no other Kranky acts

F-

do make say think is amazing.

the OP specifically said he wanted the quiet loud quiet loud formula you fag. you aren't cool for knowing about critically lauded bands on Sup Forums

GYBE was a kranky act

Hey guys OP here. Thanks for all the recommendations. It means a lot. I hope I'll be able to get to all of them.

fragments of an empire is pretty cool

in particular their albums "unspoken EP" (which i think is their best)
and "i've left the house with light clothes only, now i'll never be warm again"

you may also like The Evpatoria Report. they sound a little more generic tho imo

Feedbacker by Boris is possibly the best thing I can think of that's similar in style

these all have the lower, more thoughtful and reflective parts with explosive crescendos that are pretty neat

yndi halda eternal bliss

not out jet but sounds like yur thing
youtube.com/watch?v=4tZamFKyPwM

get your shit godspeed 'crescendocore" away from my swans and sonic youth turd face