Is this actually fun to play?

Is this actually fun to play?
I heard a lot of people say they really enjoyed it. I feel like it could be fun, but get a little boring as most board games do.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=j_fGKY44DaI&list=PLjZRIC6PMEFku-_jr2Pe4db4DCuyjVKSl
dnd.wizards.com
kickstarter.com/projects/dwarvenforge/dungeon-of-doom-handcrafted-game-terrain-by-dwarve
twitter.com/AnonBabble

get Baulder's Gate 2 or Neverwinter Nights. if you can stand playing them you might be able to give D&D a shot

same thing just D&D takes longer

Its a lot different than a normal board game, but I guess it depends on who you play with and how many people. Really fun if your DM is creative

Make sure you have a good group of people playing, that you're all on the same page about things (for the most part)

I'm my groups DM, have about 9 players, all friends from school and university. I think it's the best hobby in the world but I'll admit my bias

Know though, D&D isn't the only RPGsgame in the world, it's a good fantasy engine, but shop around and look up other systems. D&D is the staple of RPGs (and for VERY good reason) but by no means is it the only game you should be playing or looking at

Got to have an imagination. Which I lack. I usually just pretend I'm gimli from the Lord of the rings movies when I get forced to play

It's not really a board game. It's more an excuse for improv storytelling and comedic dicking around with dice.

That said? If your DM and players are good peeps, you'll have fun. I've met the best friends I've ever had playing this damn game and others like it.

For the record, if you're new to RPGs:
>D&D 5th Edition
>FATE Core
>Paranoia
>Fiasco
>Aye, Dark Overlord

Any of these are good for newbs. Fiasco and Aye, Dark Overlord are single-session RPG-lites that are good for getting a body used to quick improv roleplaying. If you have more questions, ask /tg/.

Make them figure out 2nd edition THACO system. Then they'll never want to play again! Unless they are playing an elven archer.... then it's just ez mode.

holy fuck 9 players
sounds like a migraine and a half

It's not boring at all. And even if it does start to feel that way, there's tons of supplemental material to use to keep things fresh. A good DM is a must.

I would start on 5e to learn the basics and its pretty streamlined, but I prefer and play 3.5 with my group as it allows for more customization.

watch an acquistions inc PAX show. You won't get the character references but you'll see what gameplay is like and the potential for cool shit. Granted it's the best DM in the world

I saw something on twitch today and it seem pretty cool. I had no idea about the story but it seemed fun

Can you creat your own stories and stuff or how does that work?

Fun.

Yes, the DM can create a story from scratch. As a beginner I would recommend using a "module" which basically is an outline of a campaign. Lost Mines of Phandelver is a good place to start, it comes with the Starters' kit, along with dice and a small version of the player handbook

youtube.com/watch?v=j_fGKY44DaI&list=PLjZRIC6PMEFku-_jr2Pe4db4DCuyjVKSl
these guys are very entertaining I would recommend it

Dude...D&D is more social storytelling event than playing a game.
Yes you have input into the story.
But the DM is the Storyteller...and ultimately..umpire...referee..anf judge of weither you live or die in the story.
SOMETIMES THESE STORIES TAKE A FUCKING WEEKEND TO COMPLETE
You don't play all the time...you play for a few hours...go do some other shit (used to do frisbee in the park while blayzin a cone)
Then you go back to the story...probably with a few beers and blunt or 2
Had many a FUCKIN AWESOME weekend playing this game.

Sir, D&D is Based! I play just about every week. You do need a good group and DM/GM. Takes imagination for sure. If you want rotate DM duties and campaigns so nobody gets burned out and everyone gets a chance to play. World of Darkness is also fun. Try Pathfinder too. Good luck OP. Also play a BARBARIAN!!!

Cool seems interesting. is it a good idea to find like a club of people to play with? Or are they going to be super into it?

Haha sounds like a good time

Well being super into it can be fun. If you're looking for more of a laid back time I would recommend finding a couple of friends. It'll take a while to get used to the rules, but the DM can feel free to make rulings as they will while you figure it out. It would be a good idea to find at least one person who has played before to help you go along

I game with a group that games 3-4 nights a week. D&D is fun but you might want to try dungeon world to wet your feet. if you like gaming for sure try exalted and mage by white wolf.

It depends entirely on who you are playing with. A lousy DM or meta players can ruin the whole game.

Probably a good idea, I don't want to get over run with stuff I don't understand, for just starting out

I have made many friends...in many different professions while playing this game. Like I said...it is more social storytelling event...you get blayzed...sit around telling an intricate story...that you as a listener have intup into (using die rolls...ect)
I still play now and I am 47 yrs old

We'll, there's no end if you have a good DM.
I've been playing for a long, long time now.
Often thought about why I have played for decades now this game.
Comes down to friends and storytelling.
It's a chance to be creative with my people, have fun, and spend time with them having fun - it's personal interactions with a shared story you all are creating rather than a computer game or other activity.
Just appeals to me.

Not OP, but how are you supposed to make dungeons? I mean space, are you supposed to draw a map? I know you must make it before playing, but I donĀ“t get it.

The DM will usually do that...so he has a template to go by when runnin you thru the story....you as the player..part of a player group create your own map (usually on graph paper...easier on the estimates of room size...ect)
then after the session/game is over...it really is kinda fun to compare the players map with the one the DM made before the game...have had many a laugh at the inconsistancies in maps after the game

you can do it completely verbally. It helps to have a map, drawn on a grid, as you only get so much movement in a turn when in combat. You can find pre-made dungeons, as well as generators online.

It's fun, but you gotta know people that already play for it to BE fun

yes it's a lot of fun but you need to get a good group of people to play with or it will suck, and that's why it'll probably suck because finding 3-4 people you can have fun hanging out with for a few hours a couple of times a week is basically impossible.

Dungeons can be anything.
I've been in a library with shifting rooms that you had to find the right pattern to get the rooms to shift into in order to free yourselves from the dungeon.
I've been inside a giant hollowed out tree, the remnants of a deserted, undead filled town who's borders were a deadly fog and the town itself wanted to kill you, a space fairing vessel bound for the phlogiston between worlds, a humble baker's home who's basement held a rampaging calizone golem he and his wife accidently created, a darkened carnival taken over by vicious evil fey hellbent on killing every human who came to their idea of fun.
Dungeons aren't just underground lairs - they can be whatever you want to make.

AS the DM, I usually grab pre-made Dungeons from other games, usually classic Final Fantasy games or something

Exactly...the story is what you make it as the DM...the fun par to me is being the palyer experiencing the story....
But the story is only as good as the storyteller (DM)

i've never played it, heard its fun. i find Neverwinter is better overall since it has a visual aspect. Neverwinter is a free PC game that is based on D&D.

You're all so fuckin pathetic and then wonder why you aren't getting pussy

>implying
I have a fiancee that I live with and I play 3 times a week

Fiancgay more like it dweeble

What you can never try new stuff out in your life?

>dweeb
You're on Sup Forums at midnight, what's your excuse?

Your mom doesn't seem to mind giving it up to my broadsword.

My current gf is the one who introduced me to it with her gaming group.
Got laid tonight. What's your excuse for being a loser?

it's really fun if you have a good group of people to play with, and a good dungeon master

I've been playing for about a year and a half

It's great; would like to try a different RP though other than fantasy, but it's a pretty god damn fun game

Here's one of my sessions... awesome stuff sir.

Serious question time - anyone had a member of their gaming friends die?
Not their character, I mean your friend, the player.
Lost a good friend and party member 5 years ago this past February. We all took it pretty hard because it was out of fucking left field - routine surgery and he never wakes up. Had a massive heart attack on the table, was declared brain dead 4 days later. Life support was stopped on the 5 day after we had all come and said our goodbyes to our brother and family member.
Group fell apart after that. Losing Ray really hit us hard. We kinda drifted away, because he was pretty much the linchpin for us. His death had so much influence and reprocussions for all of us.
Man I miss him.

A game of d&d is only as good as the dungeon master.

My long time gm in college took a shotgun sandwich after we graduated. Was having issues at home he didn't talk about and between that and developing alcoholism, I guess he decided it was too much.

He was kinda my hook into that group of friends so I fell out with them soon after. I miss him still, best gm I've ever played with.

Play temple of elemental evil, that game is really similar to 3.5 d&d if you want to play 3.5 (3.5 is guchi as hell)

No one yet, but it has to happen eventually.

Sounds like a friend on mine. Same exit too - home problems including insider trading charges looming. Use to game with him on weekends, after he passed, lost contact with everyone for the most part.

Yo were you at fighter practice today?

IVE BEEN A DM FOR 4 YEARS NOW....ITS SHIT DONT PLAY IT

DMs make the game, if it's shit it's because you're shit.
Just sayin'

me and my friends been wanting to play this for a long time but don't know where to start can you give me a link.

I honestly think good players can make a shitty campaign good. I can say that because I ran a game and I'm not much of a DM but the RP was so good that it was fun

Nah, if board games are boring to you, don't even try.
D&D was initially a battle game with figures and stuff, but with single heroes instead of armies. Now it's a bit more like a mix of theatre, children plays, spontaneous storytelling and extremely complicated board game.
Also, it's not a game you play alone. You need at least one other guy to the team (three would be the best) and one more to be the Dungeon Master (storyteller) to lead the game. DM must be a good one, otherwise it's all just pointless. And since you don't play board games, I suppose you don't know anyone who could do that.
Trust me. I've been playing RPG's since 12 years.

Worst TPK time
2nd edition - was playing a wildmage.
We were in one of the original Ravenloft modules, and our DM wasn't pulling punches.
We were beat mostly to hell, and I was almost out of spells.
But, I had a wand of wonder. One of the little tricks my wildmage learned was I could spend a charge off the wand and use it to power a spell.
Well, a horde of zombies with some ghouls were approaching, and shit was getting thin.
Pulled out the wand, burned a charge, and launched a fireball.
And I had a wild surge. Target and caster have the spell effect go off at their locations.
Boom - more damage for everyone, and I nearly kill myself. Big potion of healing in the next round, after that use the wand again to do another fireball.
Surge fucking again. Target affected by spell, after which it rebounds in a random direction.
The party move away from my ass with the last surge to a little building for cover - guess who got hit again.
Yup, right through one of the cottage windows, and no one got saving throws.
Ended up killing all but 1 party member with that one - luckily, the cleric survived.
Figured what the hell, burned a 3rd wand charge - and surged again.
This time the fireball became a free willed, maximum HD fire elemental who's touch did the fireball's full damage, no save.
He came charging right at me and the cleric, and had double our movement speed.
We got fucked hard thanks to me.
Zombies didn't even get to kill anyone.

Your local gaming store, and dnd.wizards.com

I prefer Dungeon Crawler Classic over it due to the fact of unlimited creativity, because there's only two rules : What your game master says goes, and have fun. Characters are made entirely at random, then the characters that survive the first quest are turned to level 1, and move on with classes and better weapons, abilities, and stats.

Better than me
Was playing AD&D and it's my 1st campaign, we had another player show up every now and then due to his schedule and we incorporated it into the story.
he was playing a 'Templar' as he put it, and was going around killing people who misused magic.
My character was an Idiot as I was RPing myself
The Templar Turned my character into a girl,,, thinking as a female she wont misuse magic, but I didn't change personality. so he out right murdered me, by physically killing me, poisoning my food, and clothes so that my skin would peel off and my would boil, and internal organs would melt

It was super fun

Never tried but could be fun with the right crowd

I've never met a group that didn't homebrew their games, so unlimited creativity is not an exclusive to DCC.

/thread

9 players? Can you even do that? I DMed for 8 players once, and the only way it worked was because 4 of them were flaky and so we seldom had more than 6 at a time. I hope that's the case in your game, too. Especially if you've got a few strong personalities at the table, hogging most of the RPing.

I also feel that the simplicity of it is very fun, and you start with 4 randomly generated characters, then funnel down to only a few, then build onto them, allowing for you to grow close and fond of your character.

My next character would have been an assassin.
His ass would have been mine.

Man, I recently started a homebrew 5e campaign after convincing my friends to try it. They all love it now. I enjoy being the DM too, despite having never played; it's actually a great time.

One of my players remarked after our latest session, "I never thought I could be so stressed out and have so much fun over papers and dice."

I love it and my players love it, but it may not be for everyone. Use the free resources, try it out, and if you like it, great! If not, that's fine too. I can see where it's not everyone's cup of tea.

I played once, my friend and I were 1st time players, playing with some of the people in his dorm and the DM got pissed at us, packed up all his shit and left because we weren't taking it serious enough because we kept asking stuff like "well what if we don't go down that trail but just sit here instead"

That's what I did haha

Pregen characters are meh. I'd rather have the freedom of designing my own from scratch.
Speaking of, this is for everyone - if you have an android device, like tablet or phone, look for 5th edition character sheet by Walter Kammerer. He also makes one for 3.5.
It's fucking awesome, and it's free or you can spend a few bucks and get all the perks plus ad free.
It's also for iOS, I just prefer the android version.
Makes generating a character a snap.

The group makes the game. Most of the negativity surrounding DnD is based off of the fat neckbeard fags playing. They don't have any social skills in real life so they live out their perverse fantasies around a table where they feed off each other. I'm lucky in that I found a group of normal people that enjoy playing. I GM 5 players in Pathfinder, running through the Kingmaker Adventure Path. Of the 6 of us, 4 of us are married, me and another guy have kids. All 6 of us have jobs and live by ourselves. And we all have other friends and social activities we enjoy. Pathfinder (DnD 3.75 lol) is a twice a month thing that we do for 6 hours at a time over beer and pizza.

Our games to this day are filled with movie references and joking. Some peeps just got the autisms.

I mean, were you antagonistic about it? Cause it's kinda a dick move to completely ignore all the plot hooks the DM sets up for you so you can have a circle jerk in the middle of a generic road or whatever. Sure, it's the DM's job to create a compelling story, but the players have to generate characters that will allow themselves to be pulled into the story. It's a cooperative game, not the DM vs. the Players.

Man... this thread is gonna 404 soon.

Bump for /tg/ goodness

Sup Forums ~ out /tg/ing /tg/ without trying.

I agree completely. I work hard to set up a good, open world for my players to explore and give them options. I don't confine them to choosing only those options, but if they just decided to go to the middle of the city, set off some magic nuke thing just for fun, and then gtfo, I would be pissed.

There has to be some understanding of the world, as well as expectations of both the DM's world and the players' goals.

I mean, that's the nature of Sup Forums - Random
It can out preform the more niche boards at times
Like that's what's there for Unless it's still secretly Sup Forums - Anime/Random

Pffff just play WOW, sooo much better. Better community too

WTF
Watches at 0 $?

>implying real friends are worse than internet friends

>better community
What are you smoking and where can I get some?

ITT basement dwellers and neckbears.
*tips fedora the fuck out of this bread*
/thread

That's fucking amazing

Crackaduntookthebait.jpg

If you're playing with good people, you'll have a good time. The rules can be kind of a pain in the ass if you're not into that kinda shit.

>nigger

Sometimes the story the DM wants to tell is just awful.
Their character is the main character, living out their power fantasies - makes the game not fun.
Ideally you'd all talk about the lack of excitement and reasons why.
If you got a dick DM, then it's more fun to fuck with them.

Checked!

Ok, but in WoW you are still confined to strict limits due to it being a computer game. No matter how numerous, it is still a limit of what you can do and what you can explore in the world.

D&D is limited to what your DM can imagine as well as what you as players can imagine. Also, the rules are jello. All of the core rulebooks are suggestions. You don't like it? Change it. Can't do that with WoW.

You're here too - where do you think you are?

Thanks.
Every interior is furnished as well.

What ever bro, I hacked the client and have a duel class Tauren pally/rogue.
Get on my.level pleb

That's a fuckton of dosh for that.

Damn, man. That's cool. I wish I could spoil my players like that. Maybe someday when we have enough money.

The entire group chips in on Kickstarters and other costs, spread out like that its not too bad:

This is the last one we put money into:
kickstarter.com/projects/dwarvenforge/dungeon-of-doom-handcrafted-game-terrain-by-dwarve

Been playing since 81. I'm an old-fag, old-fags have dough.

The weirder part is that our group tends to be majority women, not men (usually have us beat by just 1 player mind you).

D&D, Pathfinder, whatever system you play, is honestly one of the most fun, rewarding things I've done. I think it's important to find some people to whom you're already close, or to whom you could grow closer. Friendship in these games, or at least some level of camaraderie, is really important, as it lets you explore these stories, and the characters who facilitate them, in greater depth. Once you've gotten to the point that you're comfortable enough to scream at a real life friend whilst in character, you're gettin' in there.

I'm honestly amazed to see so many people still playing D&D and here on Sup Forums of all places. Kudos to you fine young lads for keeping the game alive!

5th ed is really awesome