Are the stand up bits in Seinfeld intentionally bad?

Are the stand up bits in Seinfeld intentionally bad?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/4Aa2K_firtI
vulture.com/2015/06/seinfeld-is-modern-comedys-biggest-influence.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I find some of them pretty funny. Jerry is a "safe" comedian and doesn't talk about edgy bullshit

What's up with sneakers?

The one in the beginning is supposed to set up the episode, and the one at the end is supposed to explain why the episode was funny.

Comfiest show.

Not any worse than the bulk of the show

>im 12 and what is this?

My dream is to find a girlfriend that can appreciate Seinfeld the way I do.

Yes

youtu.be/4Aa2K_firtI

Yup, just like the rest of the show

A nice litmus test for finding out if someone was born after 1998 is to show them one of the god-tier Seinfeld episodes.

If they constantly bitch and ask "how is this funny?", you'll know they have good taste, and you can then assume they aren't old as dirt,

Comedy ages like milk.

Nice twist, completely subverted my expectations. I totally agree with you and I'm not being ironic about it or anything. 8/10

No, that was humor for the 90s Yuppie.

Consider your available suicide options my man

Seinfeld is only funny if you identify with his and David's insecurities and ways of thinking. If you don't, what's the point of watching it?

Maybe in the first season when the show was literally adapting his standup (part of the reason the pilot is the absolute worst episode is that its literally constant scenes of Jerry' standup followed by sitcom scenes just reenacting said standup, which is what the show would have been had it not tested so poorly with audiences) but after that they just wrote the show normally and found standup bits of his that connected to the episode somehow either through broad themes or a tangential connection to a line of dialogue.

>someone born after 1998
why are you hanging out with underage kids and judging their taste user?

>If you don't, what's the point of watching it?
You left it on TBS, are surfing the web and are too lazy to change the channel

>its only funny if you display these unusual characteristics
>most popular sitcom of all time
huh its almost like what you said is completely retarded

Can you not tell whether they are old as dirt given the fact you're watching an episode of a tv show with them?

Reading comprehension.

>why are you hanging out with un
this right here is why seinfeld has hate threads. a lot of people on Sup Forums are children and teenagers like this guy who never saw seinfeld during its original run in the 90s. so they couldnt see the influence of the comedy or how it was unique for the time period. They only see how humor has evolved since then so seinfeld is boring to them. Theyve also grown up on capeshit so clever writing is alien and confusing to them

>Sorry Donkey Kong, you're just not a draw anymore.

inb4 Chucks Fuck and Suck

>so they couldnt see the influence of the comedy or how it was unique for the time period.
I'll give you a chance. Elaborate.

The stand up segments were good in the 2 part episodes because they were more tied in with plot.

Season 3 was the worst with the random sounds. And to their credit they dropped it before it got too stale.

I comprehended it fine. You said its only funny to people who identify with jerry or larry davids personality quirks. But its the most popular sitcom of all time, loved by many people who do not share those personality quirks. Your statement was stupid and incorrect

i elaborated my cum on your moms titties while we watched the kenny rogers roasters episode pretty goat tbdesu

That's about as funny as Seinfeld.

Thanks.

>what's the deal with phone books?

>they're not phones, and they're crappy books!

Tripfag

vulture.com/2015/06/seinfeld-is-modern-comedys-biggest-influence.html
This article I googled agrees with my arbitrary statement

>What's with red lights? Do they make them last so long intentionally? Are they trying to pull a prank on the citisens? "Let's see how long the drivers will wait until one of them snaps and murders everyone in the vicinity".

One aspect of the comedy in seinfeld that was so popular is that it was the first mainstream show that focused on "authenticity" in the dialogue and situations. It was supposed to mirror the day to day irritants and mundaneness of life. like the first bit of the first episode, the conversation about the buttons on the shirt. society saw that and thought "wow thats like the conversations I have with my friends! So authentic and real!" Of course larry and jerry are way more ocd and autistic than the average person, but they showcased so many events and real life absurdities throughout the show that everyone at some point would relate to something

Basically, Seinfeld was for people of the early 90s what Friends was to us. The latter wouldn't exist without the former.

Talking about a button on a shirt is really fucking absurd, isn't it?

But Friends is shit too. What's your point?

I've got one like that and yeah it's pretty good.

>what's the deal with airline food?

>it's not an airline, and it's crappy food!

nice turn around there, you got me

lol whoa that's a whole lot of arrogant posturing and presumption. I was born in 81. I saw seinfeld during its original run and today or back then, it was not as funny and not as groundbreaking as people try to make it out to be. It gets hyped because it became super popular in its time and only because its brand of comedy appealed to a growing segment of the population in that time, the young urban professional and exactly like your rant, people latched onto it to try to act like it was some symbol of their new age high brow taste, shoulder pads and all. Its nothing special, pretty much dry observational humor with absurd moments and narcissistic characters. It's mildly amusing and good tv to have on in the background, that is all. If you want Larry David without network tv restraints, watch Curb Your Enthusiasm. If you want actually funny 90s sitcom, watch Married with Children.

no? who said it was?

Well I also said "irritants and mundaneness" I would index the button talk under mundanes. But seriously, what kind of fucking weirdo doesnt like seinfeld?

The vast majority of critics and people dont agree with you so it doesnt matter. Most consider seinfeld a watershed moment in tv comedy

>all those words to say seinfeld is funny but overrated
daring opinion. Its not the funniest show ever but it was groundbreaking writing at the time. And yes curb is the next level of that

>Seinfeld makes me laugh