ITT: Intolerance's 100th anniversary

ITT: Intolerance's 100th anniversary

D.W. Griffith's Intolerance is completing 100 years this very day.

>yfw from now on (well, since last year desu) lots of classic movies will be regularly completing 100 years

Picture: look how fucking gory this movie was. The Babylon battle is probably more intense than Game of Thrones.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SoaF8_dlqQA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What is your favorite story?

Babylonian, Modern, French or Judean?

Also, nudity.

This IS Game of Thrones made 100 years earlier.

So, nobody in Sup Forums cares about film history or the delicious butts of vintage actresses?

This isn't capeshit.

You're probably right. Shame though.

Modern. The French segments were pretty cool but weren't given enough time.

It's on TCM right now

That's what I think about the French segment too. I wish it had more scenes to it.

I really enjoy the epic feel of the Babylonian segment. It's so fucking huge.

Mountain Girl is such a waifu.

I thought Sup Forums would like a movie with rape, pillage and massacre.

Never hear of it. I didn't know there were movies with such running time back in the days.
youtube.com/watch?v=SoaF8_dlqQA

All I remember is the Babylon stuff

>films you love will be 100 yo in your lifetime
fucking hell,thanks anão

I only watch superhero movies but don't worry, I'm absolutely furious about them.

D.W. Griffith was one of the first directors to make such full-length movies. The Birth of a Nation (1915) and Intolerance (1916) were masterpieces of his era and they influenced practically the ENTIRE Hollywood and European cinemas. They were quite epic, too, kind of like the Titanic or The Lord of the Rings of their time.

The Birth of a Nation was racist, though, glorifying the Ku Klux Klan and attracting controversy even at that time, so he made Intolerance to be like an answer to the criticism.

Intolerance is way better than Birth of a Nation anyway.

Thanks for the link

Exactly what I was thinking, fellow anão.

There aren't many classic movies released between 1915 and 1919 and the few of them are practically all Griffith's (The Birth of a Nation, Intolerance and Broken Blossoms), but from 2020 ahead there will be a ton of movies celebrating their 100th anniversaries.

It's coming up for films like nosferatu, metropolis and even Frankenstein. That's amazing to me.

Broken Blossoms was my favorite of the three.

Yeah, Broken Blossoms in 2019, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari in 2020, The Kid in 2021, Nosferatu in 2022...

>watching movies made before 1940

1940 was such a pain in the ass decade, especially in Hollywood. A ton of shitty movies with a lot of Code censorship bullshit.

1920s were God-tier. Creative freedom, artistic wonder, amazing achievements, one of the best decades in film.

This shot is so kino desu.

>feels good

a good 15 years until Frankenstein though

This fucking thread made me look up the oldest films on letterboxd and watch them.

Which ones did you watch?