I'm eighteen years old, and I am genuinely interested in literature, philosophy, and "muh feels"...

I'm eighteen years old, and I am genuinely interested in literature, philosophy, and "muh feels". I cannot relate to my family and friends, and I don't understand Southern social norms (hatred of homosexuals, drug use, Trump cult). My anxiety skyrockets when I look around at all of the people who are content with obesity and ignorance; it makes me anxious because I think "this is my meaningless life—this is my future".

I swear this is not b8; I feel miserable in my environment. Does anybody else feel this way? Stories?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_principle
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect
youtube.com/watch?v=k9LgYzrtgx0&index=71&list=LLgR82b8EE9LBtQE_1q4cZoA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

20 and i feel the same. People fucking suck.
Get out of the south, find somewhere you enjoy to go to college

Listen to this user. It may not be school but build self confidence and then try to look for a passion. This later will turn to a goal which will give you (hopefully) satisfaction.

Stop being a fucking fag. Pull that marijuana out of your arm and come worship at the alter of the worlds hero, Mr. Trump.

You're a smart guy who see the shortcomings of the environment you live in. Move to cozy cities in middle europe and build a new life.

Thanks. It's good to know I'm not the only one. The bad thing is I'm staying in Georgia for college. Hopefully I'll meet better people. I really don't know.

You're only doing this so you can hopefully find a QT outside of everyone you already know.
You're not genuinely interested in anything but sex. Just like me and everyone else.
>Stop being such an utter wank

Get the fuck out of the south ya dingus, go to New England or California.

I'm srsly contemplating moving to Spain or Switzerland. Live in ga and America is looking less appealing.

>Hatred of drug use
>Tweakers littered everywhere in the South
I don't understand

Hmmmm. How did you deduce this?
I fantasize about moving to either Europe or a state near the Pacific Ocean. My French is mediocre, but with immersion I could improve a lot. Anyone have stories about moving away from the South to Europe?

So is everybody at 18. Either shape up or ship out faggot.

I reccommend Belgium, sweden, netherlands, france (small coast cities, fuck paris and fuck non whites) you have to live in white areas

im not too racist thats just how it is they drag areas down

OP, what you're likely experiencing are multiple and confounding effects of the Paretto principle, the bell curve of IQ, and the Dunning-Kruger effect, among several others.

Briefly: you're likely on the outer edge of the bell curve of IQ, to the right. See pic related. You're smarter than everyone around you. Trouble is, the people around you don't see it this way. See Dunning-Kruger effect. Simply stated: Dumb people think they're smart, and smart people don't realize how smart they really are. Add another layer to this mess called the Pareto principle (commonly known as the 80/20 rule), wherein 20% of the people do 80% of the work. Going forward in life you'll thank me for telling you this up front now. Most people are stupid, lazy fucks; but what's worse is that they just don't know it.

Welcome to real life.

You're welcome.

Sources:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_principle
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

>white adults (cum. %)
Lel

Don't move to France. French are faggots. Come to Italy. I lived here as a migrant from eastern Europe for 7 yrs now . it's sunny, people are nice and food is good. BTW I live in Lombardy. Come here and avoid the USA

You must be the change that you would like to see in the world. Your life is your own, and it will become exactly what you deserve, so you should deserve that it becomes excellent, and then make it so.

Feel the same, for years now.
Guess im just a fcking snowflake who think hes special and shit.

You'd benefit from some Camus and Maybe some Emerson and Thoreau. You're in Identity Despair, a common side effect of Existential Crisis. The Existential movement of philosophy was invented to tackle the meaning of existence in a post-God world and the Transcendentalists reimagined the meaning of God in a scientific world. They're great places to start. Bojack Horseman is largely built on the various existential paradigms proposed by people like Heidegger, Camus, Nietzsche, and Sartre. Sagan and DeGrasse Tyson's philosophy is largely built on a non-deistic interpretation of Transcendentalism. It's also worth exploring some of the absurdist art, an extension of Camus, and Abstract Expressionism from the Avant Garde like Polluck and Schoenberg, where the borders between chaos and order are explored as a commentary on the nature of the human condition. It's also worth investigating the nature of the human condition as it relates to other animals. Game theory is great to understand, as is the work of people like Goodall and Attenborough, who illuminate our similarity and general nature through the amazing feats of nature that time, differential development, and cumulative evolution can produce and where that places is in the bigger picture.

There is always more to learn, even if you know it all. You can always find depth and refinement. Learning empathy and understanding why something is why it is and not just splitting things into good and evil can add a layer of richness and amusement to life that makes it much more interesting and worth exploring.

Welcome to the club. This is (or at least was) 60% of the people on this site. You can either: >Get used to feeling like an alien.
>Use the knowledge that you have for something you like.
>Kill yourself.

Buddy, go to college or grad school. People are still largely assholes but at least there you have a chance of being rewarded for being intelligent/focused. Just pick a subject you like to work with. You might not end up making much money, depending on your discipline, or you might make a lot, but it's better than being fucking miserable. It's like when you use a high horsepower engine to run a lawnmower, you just end up fucking up the mower and the engine. Use your brain-engine for something it can work on. At the very least, you'll have an opportunity to work at or near your capacity, that feels better.

Because I am a fucking commie, I'd also say, then go home and try to use your new powers to improve the stupid lives of your neighbors...but that's just me. Try to use your brain for good instead of evil, if you buy that duality. Above all, don't let them take you down.

OP here. I was expecting to be inundated with replies such as "lol fucking smug bastard; you're not special". The truth is, while I am smarter than average, the main source of my dissatisfaction is that so many people around me have a parochial mindset and aren't curious enough to explore new ideas and activities.

Anyway, the amount of supportive replies really surprised me. You guys gave me a little bit of hope—I mean it. Thank you.

Look into art too not just literature. Good movies, good fashion, good paintings, sculptures music etc. For me it's very satisfying to understand fashion and movies as artforms.

Read Degeneration. It's free on Google books.

This is bullshit. Dreams on

Do you have kik? Im 24 from aus and would like to talk.

its not any better in the north. Northeasterners are literally the worst. Its basically the south without the accent. The only reasonable place to live, sadly is places of higher education. IF you're a gay lover, move to san fransico. if you're a fascist, move to new york city. If you're sympathetic to BLM, go to phuladelphia.

Rural living has its benefits, but its often combined with close mindedness, and a general ignorance. Living in a populated urban area, you'll be surrounded by people that will demonize you for not thinking differently from them if you dont accept every little thing that they do.

I strongly suggest moving to an area with a large christian population. They are not only understanding, but also accepting, and accommodating to different ways of thinking and living. They may push the Bible and Jesus on you, but whats so wrong with loving your neighbor and treating people as you'd like to be treated? Isnt that what you're looking for?

I took the seclusion option. Just fuck it all and write alone and away from society.
talk to these folks here

wow just wow

It's natural. I've feeling that like since I was 17. Now I'm a 25 lonely guy but I enjoy reading, music and learnign philosophy. Also enjoy traveling but I don't have fb, so it's magic to meet people and never see or contact them again, I'm kinda an old school guy...

same man. I love the adventure of meeting new people and talking with them, and just vanishing. its exciting to meet really bizarre and strange folks.

Ahem...
Fuck off faggit. No one is special!

Except me. I'm special, that's why you should listen when I call you names.

We can make a group, I guess

OP here. I don't have Kik, but I guess I'm not opposed to making one for a group; could be cool.

Oh man, I do not have a cell phone right now but we should find another way to connect

You sound like a libfag hippie.

Dude, get stoned, listen to this, and either read D&D lore or viking mythology, you will not regret.
youtube.com/watch?v=k9LgYzrtgx0&index=71&list=LLgR82b8EE9LBtQE_1q4cZoA

Compensation by Emmerson is pretty good. The absurdist movement on the other hand reminds me of some teenage gaggle.
OP stop complaining and focusing on only the bad. They chose their future, choose yours. When you stop worrying about everything everyone else chose you can focus on what you need to do. If you can't get your head out of others asses, suffocation is inevitable.

haha I'm into backpacker travelling and yess you definitely will meet rare stuff

Its okay opie, definitely not just you who feels this way.
I can barely relate to my family either, and in terms of "southern norms" its great that you've not fallen for trump or the criminalisation of gays, wear that like a badge of honour, it proves youre sensible.
Follow your interests of literature and philosophy, continue to enlighten yourself and there is no way you will end up fat, stupid and obese like the rest of our southern counterparts.
The fact it makes you anxious seeing what you could become is a good thing, it means you are never going to end up that way.
Besides youre still very young and to me it sounds like you're a smart guy with his head in the right place.
I think you'll be fine OP.
In a few years time you'll be able to move somewhere of your choosing and start a life for yourself. Just a few more years :)
Take care OP, rooting for you all the way.

The Wish
>Language is, indeed, magic
>I wish to be happy
>And I am

interesting. have any other articles about similar topics?