I don't get it

I don't get it.
Is it because I'm not gay or is it because I'm stupid?

no

i like it, but its not for everyone

also that drug dealer kid is pretentious as fuck and i spent the whole movie hoping he would get arrested and murdered in prison

movies women think they understand but don't

This
This movie is dadkino

It's a movie about how people think have a common misconception that getting old sucks. But then Lester becomes extremely happy when Mena Suvari tells him that his daughter "thinks she's in love". He realized how great he had it right before he died.

he's my favorite character and i'm just like him i hate you....fffffffffuuuuuuuuuu......

isn't it just about wanting to fug underaged girls?

What's beautiful about a plastic bag?
Why is military man's wife insane?
He seemed like a cunt but why would that make her crazy?
How did the writer know what it's like just before you die?
Why did Kevin Spacey mock me by saying "You probably have no idea what I'm talking about, but don't worry - you will some day."
Why did Kevin Spacey's wife want to kill him for something she herself did?
Why is everyone a stereotype? - Bitch teenager, unsatisfied housewife, homophobic army guy.
Why did the psycho drug dealer suddenly become an LGBT advocate when his dad threw him out even though he said he hated fags earlier to placate him?
What was the point of military man's wife? She did nothing.
What's the deal with the roses?

She's 18.
Fucking a HS senior is still weird AF though.

oh yeah and one more thing - Why did the psycho smile looking at Lester's corpse?

Yeah Yeah there's beauty in everything but it was really weird. What's the message?
Death is beautiful? Am I supposed to smile the next time I see a corpse?

>What's beautiful about a plastic bag?
nothing
the kid was demonstrating his ability to appreciate/enjoy the basic things in life, and appreciate every moment of everything
hes a pretentious fucker
>Why is military man's wife insane?
>He seemed like a cunt but why would that make her crazy?
i don't think it matters
her insanity was just to show how fucked up the pretentious kid's homelife is
>How did the writer know what it's like just before you die?
magic
>Why did Kevin Spacey mock me by saying "You probably have no idea what I'm talking about, but don't worry - you will some day."
because he hates you
>Why did Kevin Spacey's wife want to kill him for something she herself did?
>Why is everyone a stereotype? - Bitch teenager, unsatisfied housewife, homophobic army guy.
something about conformism and societal roles probably?
>Why did the psycho drug dealer suddenly become an LGBT advocate when his dad threw him out even though he said he hated fags earlier to placate him?
to piss off his dad
>What was the point of military man's wife? She did nothing.
see earlier answer
>What's the deal with the roses?
they symbolize romance/lust/growth and new awakenings

So this movie only makes sense if you're an English major

It is about appreciating what life had to offer.

The Emo kid could see the beauty in the bag swaying in the wind. Lester couldn't see it until he was dead, that is why he says "You probably have no idea what I'm talking about, but don't worry - you will some day."

The fact that Lester died so suddenly only serves to hyphenate the fact that you should appreciate what you have, because in a moment it could be gone.

i wouldnt say that

youre right that the movie is bumpy and pretentious in a lot of ways

but i think the overall message is that we all struggle with the roles society has built for us/the roles we've fallen into, and that our modern lives require us to repress most of our innermost desires
the movie shows the characters trying (and failing) to cope with their roles in life

its not uniquely groundbreaking, but i liked it

Dude this is a movie that 16 year olds get hooked on. It's not some cryptic puzzle.

>I don't get it.

all things in time

well Kevin Spacey stole the show unsurprisingly. I kind of liked how he came out of his depressing shell and told his cunt of a wife to watch her place.
It's won SO many awards.
SO many.
I had to see it.

Kevin Spacey's performance was great
It really does elevate the movie

It is not supposed to make sense.

It was just Oscar-bait plot/characters/setting, and then an amazing OST which is the only thing holding the movie together.

Mute the movie at any scene and it just turns to cringe-worthy shit.

>What's beautiful about a plastic bag?
Verisimilitude I guess
>Why is military man's wife insane?
>He seemed like a cunt but why would that make her crazy?
She was probably whittled down by Chris Cooper's shouting.
>How did the writer know what it's like just before you die?
I don't recall that coming up in the movie.
>Why did Kevin Spacey mock me by saying "You probably have no idea what I'm talking about, but don't worry - you will some day."
He's trying to impart wisdom on the young adults watching that life gets harder when you're old but it's worth living.
>Why did Kevin Spacey's wife want to kill him for something she herself did?
Mental breakdown
>Why is everyone a stereotype? - Bitch teenager, unsatisfied housewife, homophobic army guy.
The characters work for me because they are so outlandish and stereotypical. The movie was originally meant to be a courtroom stage drama centered around Lester's murder. The theatrical tone of the characters crossed over.
>Why did the psycho drug dealer suddenly become an LGBT advocate when his dad threw him out even though he said he hated fags earlier to placate him?
He just wanted to get kicked out of the house and piss off his dad at the same time. It worked.
>What was the point of military man's wife? She did nothing.
She's the worst character but I think adds to the dark humor of the movie during her few scenes. I especially love when they're watching TV.
>What's the deal with the roses?
Roses symbolize new beginnings. The movie is about Lester having a midlife crisis that kills him.

>I don't recall that coming up in the movie.
Kevin Spacey's voiceover "You know they say the second before you die your whole life flashes before your eyes. Well they're wrong. It's not a second, it's much more than that. Like an ocean of time."

I'm not gay and I get it. So you must be stupid.

>"You know they say the second before you die your whole life flashes before your eyes. Well they're wrong. It's not a second, it's much more than that. Like an ocean of time."
Oh come on that's just a platitude which has been repeated for decades in other media.

>I'm not gay and I get it
t. Military Man