This album is dated, redundant, and easily the most overrated prog of all time

This album is dated, redundant, and easily the most overrated prog of all time

:O

it is the definition of prog faggot. go back to kendrick general.

all dad rock is dated, that's why we hate it.

I love prog, it it's my favorite genre, but I can't stand this album.

>most overrated prog of all time
But that's not DSOTM

>dated

Are you 13?

upvoted desu

Saying you love prog and hate KC just makes me think you listen to shitty modern prog and metal wankery. Which isn't something to be proud of.

>using the term overrated

Feeding the troll I understand, you want to make an scandal by attacking one of the core bands of Sup Forums.

Well nice try, keep up the good work.

>redundant
That's a new one, elaborate

This guy gets it.

The GOAT prog album is probably Fragile/CTTE, Selling England By The Pound, WYWH/Animals, or possibly something by ELP or Rush.

ITCOTCK is a great program album, but it's far from the greatest, and is mostly famous because it was one of the first prog albums (which is even BS in and of itself because Pet Sounds, Sgt. Pepper's, MMT, and Tommy are all arguably the first prog albums and are all objectively superior to ITCOTCK), so it's only a "great" prog album in the same way that Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols is a great punk album.

It is honestly very underwhelming if you listen to it now after listening to the modern progression of progressive music

Lol. It shits all over WYWH and Animals.

ITCOTCK opens with one of the greatest riffs ever and explodes into this crazy jazz fusion interlude and is followed by four more brilliant songs. It has this majestic sound and immersive instrumentation that takes each song beyond anything most prog bands can even dream of making.

Why do people consider pink floyd prog? If anything they are psychedelic rock. They dont really play in odd time signatures besides money and some stuff off piper at the gates of dawn

t. Punkfag

"Prog" doesn't just mean odd time signatures and lyrics about fairies, it's about being at the forefront of technology.

Apples to oranges, bro. WYWH and Animals both start and finish soft, with subdued intros/outros bookending the best material in the middle of them.

ITCOTCK has its standout tracks at the beginning and the end, with softer material in the middle. If we're judging albums by how they're arranged, Fragile, CTTE, and Selling England are all much better comparisons. Tarkus, too.

Piper isn't prog, but shit like Shine on you Crazy Diamond and Echos are proggy as fuck.

Fragile is such an incredible album and it's honestly one of the best albums for getting into prog because unlike things like Close to the Edge it's got more than two tracks in a single side. Don't get me wrong, that isn't bad, but definitely a bit of an uphill battle.

what's your favorite prog album?

It's not recorded well. The lyrics are cringe-tier. The performances are slightly-above-par. Its best moments are drowned underneath a cacophony of preconceptions. King Crimson was self-admittedly a live band in this iteration and the albums to come are better.

King Crimson has this noticeable problem where the strongest song-driven tracks are always ballads and they have a hard time hitting home with the 'bangers'.

I'm fine with you thinking that because Red is the true GOAT.

It is pretty boring honestly.

21st Century Schizoid Man has just three (admittedly very cool) riffs throughout its seven and a half minute length, along with a jazzy jam that's really not all that jazzy nor even classical inspired considering how it doesn't really develop at all, playing essentially the same phrase except that one bit.

I Talk To The Wind has a pair of very simple flute solos that, while they develop more than the jazz bit on the first track, stays on just a few chords. Those solos are in no way prog, just typical handful of chords to solo over type rock music. The chorus is kinda the epitome of how the record tries to sound interesting but isn't really because while it has interesting A chord variations, but it's just a variation on the I IV I IV V IV type progression you hear is basic ass rock n roll.

Epitaph is by far the simplest track on the record since it's just I , IV, V, vi, and vii chords like most pop music through most of the track. Don't remember the instrumental wank part's chords.

Moonchild is an abomination, because while I respect the whole proto-ambient thing here, it just has too many long spaces of jack shit happening on it.

In The Court Of The Crimson King has some interesting progressions on it, but is also marred by also ultimately being intro/verse/chorus/verse/chorus/instrumental progression of all non-Moonchild tracks on this album.

In the end it just sounds like a colorful pop album with a couple chords not common in pop instead of a true progressive rock album. It's essentially prog for prog fans that can't into actual progressive rock. King Crimson made far more sophisticated stuff on Larks and Red (in the case of Red, much heavier, too.) I understand that it's one of if the first album of its type, but that also means that it didn't refine/go as far with the style of music as others after it.

Childhood is thinking CTTE is the best Yes album. Adulthood is realizing Fragile is far superior.

Only Aqualung comes close when it comes to using softer interludes to emphasize the harder tracks and vice versa.

Listening to Fragile honestly feels like taking a walk down your favorite path or town high street.

Now that I think of it, Aqualung/Thick As a Brick should be added to my list of possible GOAT prog albums.

It's a one and done album. Great on the first few listens but loses its replay value pretty quickly.

>using this gif

minutes to midnight