Do any anons have experience running radio stations, or have experience dealing with the FCC?

Do any anons have experience running radio stations, or have experience dealing with the FCC?

I'm currently high as fuck and I bought a FM transmitter (pic related) which can go up to 7 watts, apparently.

If I were to broadcast SSTV images, or music on an unused frequency, would the FCC come after me? I live in a small rural town in the middle of the US, so I'm not exactly hurting anyone. I just want to have a dedicated The Beatles station to jam out to with my friends in the car, or on the work radio.

I thought it might be fun to have you guys roll to see what SSTV imagines might be broadcast too, lmao

Do you think the FCC will really care if I run my own underground station like 3 Dog?

Other urls found in this thread:

transition.fcc.gov/eb/sed/ulo.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

7 watts, have fun broadcasting across your bedroom.

yeah, they actually give a fuck about this, especially if you cause interference for someone with a license. You could probably get away with it for a while if you broadcast on HAM frequencies with a dummy callsign.

nah 7 watts will go a couple miles. Maybe even 10 if it is in a good place.

Seriously? even in a small town? I wasn't planning on broadcasting on anyone else's wavelength.

What would the FCC even do?

They very much give a fuck. There's an infographic out there somewhere with all of the FCC arrests because of this kind of thing.

Also to this guy
7W sounds like not a lot, but with decent position and a decent antenna, this will get you several miles.

It's legal as long as you don't broadcast past like 100 feet.

Dont do it bro. Its easy as fuck to backtrace the signal.

Somebody with a directional antenna who is bored will find you in a few hours.

They will literally drive to a place on a map point the antenna at a heading till they get the peak signal and draw a line, they do this in half a dozen locations and where the lines intersect on the map is roughly where you are broadcasting from.

I'd love to see the infographic, if you can find it.

It's easy as fuck for an organization like the FCC, or anyone with the right equipment, to track the location of the transmission.

here are some people who though this was a good idea
transition.fcc.gov/eb/sed/ulo.html

if the FCC get's complaints from local stations, they'll send someone out with a signal finding equipment and you are looking at a five figure fine.

How hard is it to get a legal FCC license for just fucking around? I mean, I used to take HAM radio tests and shit when I was in the scouts, do I had to apply? What's the cost like?

I just wanna do radio stuff for fun

If you want to fuck around with radio, just get your HAM license. It isn't hard and it is pretty cheap. Getting a commercial FCC license is a huge pain. That said, you are restricted to certain frequencies as a HAM so you won't be broadcasting anything that you can tune into with your car stereo.

>you cause interference for someone with a license.
this
this is the biggest thing.
You're in a protected spectrum, and you're operating without a license.

>What would the FCC even do
Fines, and take your shit.

>transition.fcc.gov/eb/sed/ulo.html
this

>If you want to fuck around with radio, just get your HAM license
this.
It's cheap as fuck. Pick up a $30 baofeng and fuck around to your heart's content. Or homebrew some HF shit and run a few hundred watts up a wire.

Spectrum/frequency coordination is a thing, because without it and some enforcement, it'd be an absolute shitshow and the airwaves would probably be dominated by cellular and commercial interests.

Pic extremely fucking related.

Well lads, you've talked me out of inebriated purchase

thanks for actually giving solid advice, I don't wanna get fucked in the ass by the FCC

The most they can do is call the police, unless they wanna resize a pirate radio station hosts asshole.

Radio is a small industry.
People with that sort of equipment know other people.
People like regional FC's, who know enforcement agents.

1200 watt exciter again completely related.

Those dont broadcast very far, like maybe to the end of your driveway. You arent gonna be the city pirate underground radio station hero, playing gay ass djent and shit to impress chicks

Jesus christ, how much do you guys spend on this junk?

> FCC will really care

Yup. They don't fuck around.

> It's cheap as fuck. Pick up a $30 baofeng and fuck around to your heart's content.

+1 for baofeng. We use them in the bush in Africa.

>Like 3 dog
hehe

$10,000 when the FCC busts you and yes, there are faggots that get off on locating pirate radio operators for fun.

(((they))) take this shit very, very seriously.

put a show on the interweb like everybody else, fgt

I don't want a radio show, I just want something to listen to on the radio which isn't country

buy an ipod like every other faggot.

>this junk
heh... sure

damn user is this something you got at work?

I already own a phone, computer, and Mp3 player. And my car had an aux input. There is not legitimate reason for me wanting to own one of these. I just thought it seemed like something fun to dick around with, and it was hella cheap on Amazon.

Didn't think it'd actually violate any major laws, thank fuck I asked you guys.

If you get into CB's, dont fuck around and talk shit, those fuckers will triangulate and find you. Me and my brother learned that shit the hard way.

>1996
>me and brother at friend's house
>friend's dad had one of those 6 wheeled atv things in the garage
>had CB in it
>get on
>flip through dial and hear two guys talking
>"Breaker breaker, EAT SHIT YOU FUCKING FAGGOTS"
>they talk shit back
>one guy went by the handle "Night Rider"
>asked night rider if he sucked dicks often
>he laughs and keeps talking
>after a while he says "Your signal is great, are you on XXXXXXX st?"
>FUCK
>we are on XXXXXXX st
>get out of the garage and go into the living room all lights off and peeking out the window
>see a dark colored el camino with a great big antenna and "NIGHT RIDER" in the back window keep creeping by on the street
>see another car with him with a big antenna
>they drove up and down the street for 10 and then left
>didnt fuck with the CB after that

Engineering contractor. I make shit work.

If you wanna get into radio, take a course at your local college, most have classes for getting into broadcasting. It sounds like it would be fun

There's apps like TuneIn where you can listen to stations in other countries. You can sort them by genre. There are police scanner apps too that are fun