What do they see in this

>Actor Robert Duvall called it "maybe the best movie I've seen in 25 years".[38][39]

>Director Quentin Tarantino said, "I think it's a masterpiece. It was perhaps the best film of that year. I think it was the best artistic film of that year."[40]

>Martin Scorsese, writing about the film, called it "a vision," adding, "Many pictures today don't go into troubling areas like this, the importance of violence in the perpetuation of what's known as civilization. I admire Apocalypto for its frankness, but also for the power and artistry of the filmmaking."[41]

>In 2013, director Spike Lee put the film on his list of all-time essential films.[42]

>Richard Roeper and guest critic Aisha Tyler on the television show Ebert & Roeper gave it "two thumbs up" rating.[31]

just saw it, seemed meh to me

what isn't there to like about it?

It breaks the noble savage myth, and shows a non-Western culture in all of its true savagery. It doesn't fit the current narrative that all evil flows from White men and Western culture.

okay and?

It relies on a genuine, sincere, true prophecy that comes to be in some incredibly absurd ways and features a ridiculous birth scene. Honestly the ending is pretty good but the story itself after the first half grows to be very stupid and ruins the movie

>non-Western
What?

The guy getting his face ripped off by the panther is one of the most metal things I've ever seen.

The ending says otherwise.

The movie literally ends with a shot of the white men arriving, the actual "Apocalypto" of the title.

Western is code for white

Are you really saying the ending promoted some sort of "hurr EVIL WHITE MEN" theme? The arrival of the Spanish was literally their apocalypse, it was the end of their world.

The Spanish were the "evil white men" being promoted in the context of the story.

Have you been drinking?

I thought it was flat out retarded.

The last act was just the Ewoks scene from RotJ except with Mayans instead of the Empire.

And the Spaniards showing up at the end, six hundred years too early, was just cringeworthy.

Everyone knows that the aztecs practiced human sacrifice, retard. No one had any illusions going into the movie that it was going to be a disney tale.

The Spanish aren't even white, to boot.

This thread is gonna be about that poster who clearly didn't pay any fucking attention.

They're Maya in the movie, not Aztecs

Why do you guys have to make everything a weird race thing?

literally the same thing, tumblr

>People thinking the movie has any anti white shit at all when Mel "Are you a jew?" Gibson was directing

Yeah just like the Greeks and Romans were totally the same thing, retarded American.

And Mayans did not make sacrifices on the scale depicted.

Right. The white Spaniards showing up at the end was cosmic justice. It's a good thing that the whites conquered the New World and wiped out all those awful savages.

Almost...

You could interpret the village being massacred and human sacrifices taken by the Mayans as an apocalypse, foreshadowing what would occur after the conquistadors land.

Did the maya practice human sacrifice? I recall it was only aztecs doing that shit. They have a different pantheon of gods.

Yea the end of savagery and the beginning of God's grace

actually the eclipse in the film coincides with the arrival of columbus' 4th voyage or something like that, that's actually historically accurate

Because most of the people on this board are idiots looking for some agenda that isn't there.
I've only ever seen Sup Forums be right about one thing, and that was that stupid Ghostbusters remake.

Yes, but not on that scale. I can't think of anyone who sacrificed as many as the Aztec. Human sacrifice was pretty common in just about every old civilization, though.

Sup Forums always gets restless around this time of the day and starts smearing its diarrhea on other boards.

Aztecs and Mayans.. Hmmm.. Does Mel know the difference between the two?

Do you think that Spike Lee hates black people because he had the black characters destroy Sal's pizzeria at the end of Do the Right Thing?

And he could've ended that however he wanted, that was fiction not history.

this movie is obviously about a "weird race thing"

don't blame us

>white Spaniards
>White
>Spaniard
>white
>Spain
>white

Not sure what you're trying to imply here. Is it that you think the spanish are white?

nice meme, mind if I use it? I've got some children to scare

>us
lmao

No, it's not.

The Mayan civilization collapsed around 900 AD.

There were still Mayans kicking around in the 16th century, and there are still today. But they weren't building cities or pyramids as shown in the film, they were like the tribe they raid at the beginning of the film.

Some how Gibson found a way to make a movie even less historically accurate than Braveheart or The Patriot.

>Screenwriter and co-producer Farhad Safinia first met Mel Gibson while working as an assistant during the post-production of The Passion of the Christ. Eventually, Gibson and Safinia found time to discuss "their mutual love of movies and what excites them about moviemaking".[3]

>You will never bro out with Mel Gibson so hard that he asks you to help him make his next movie

>Do you think that Spike Lee hates black people

yes, and everyone else for that matter

No, but I do believe that Mel Gibson is a white supremacist.

Because of the things he says IRL, not just interpretations of his films.

You must be British. Or worse, Australian.

Hurrrr
They did practice human sacrifice.
>but not on that scale

The film is at the tale end of the Mayan civilization, they're desperate as fuck.

It is one of the greatest films ever made. It pays tribute to civilizations of old while highlighting they were just as ruthless, and more so in some respects, than we are today. It has men who are willing to fight for the greater good, as well as their families. It shows us that despite all our advances we are still subject to nature's wrath like panthers, snakes, storms, and disease. It is gorgeous in its portrayal of the twilight of the Mayans, and the arrival of the Spanish is an amazing fucking scene.

That's not it at all. The movie is about the prophecy of the world coming to an end. The spanish arriving at the end show it is the beginning of a new age, while also showing how fucked up it all was at the end.

It isn't supposed to be fucking historically accurate.

NO ONE IN THE GOD DAMN MOVIE IS EVER IDENTIFIED BY THEIR TRIBE OR CIVILIZATION.

All Gibson did was use native actors and actresses, what a fucking travesty that must be. For all we know the guys who show up on the shore are somehow Americans. It's a work of fiction, not a period piece.

If you ask random people, nearly all will believe native Americans (as in the continents, not the country), were living in peace and harmony with Nature. No war, no strife, hunting buffalo and never wasting a gram, peacefully growing maize, blah, blah, blah.

The collapse occurred in the Mayan low lands in Most of Guatemala and Central America, but their whole high land civilization survived, they did build several new cities and still lived in urban centers with temples by the 16 century. In fact Spaniards took more than 2 centuries to conquer the Mayans in their cities after the Aztec defeat.
The most glaring error Gibson make is the number and brutality of the sacrifices he depict, whole squads dedicated to capture thousands of people would be more in line with Aztecs.

Gibson literally went through painstaking detail hiring Mayan speaking actors and recreating Mayan art, sport, and culture. His huge big premise for the film revolves around the noted Mayan astronomical ability to predict eclipses, and in his words, use that to oppress their people. Not supposed to be historically accurate my ass. They fucking sold this movie on being historically accurate. Just like Nolan did with selling Interstellar as scientific.

I doubt that very much.

>The film is at the tale end of the Mayan civilization, they're desperate as fuck

What about? This is never stated in the movie.

what do they see in this

its kino, and its debatably one of the top 10 movies of the 21st century.

elegant mix of a lot of soft/visceral elements, beautifully shot, intelligent pacing, strong performances.. i don't see how you can ""objectively"" give this less than a 8.5/10. its a 9 for me.

That doesn't make it a fucking period piece, just accurate in execution. Are you arguing that Interstellar is a period piece? Because I know you aren't.

Try it with your friends.
Don't mention Incas, Aztecs, etc., just ask what they think the native culture was like before the Conquistadors.
95% that you get the 'living peacefully in harmony with nature' bullshit.

Failing crops, infighting, drought, ritual sacrifice to appease the gods, etc. etc.

Apocalypto is about their biggest fear which was that the world (or rather their world) was coming to an end, and the fulfillment of that prophecy by the spanish conquerors.

Literally go fuck yourself

American here. We're trained as kids to think of Native Americans as bloodthirsty killers and rapists.

Disease, famine, failing crops, drought, the ritual sacrifices, etc.

Look how much good discussion this film is triggering

Just proves hows it's a masterpiece

If you're talking about the Mayan collapse it occurred 6 centuries before the period movie tries to depict. Definitely there wasn't any prophecy about the world end for at least another 5 centuries (2012?). There wasn't any crop failure or drought. Mayans were actually expanding during that period and since nothing of that is stated this seems like a glaring error or at least dismal execution.

ARGO FUCK YOURSELF

Look up every negative review for this on RT and it boils down to "MUH EBIL WITE MEN" and "MUH NOBEL SABAGE" trash. It's a fucking perfect movie.

And that's saying a lot when you consider that the narrative, ultimately, is pointless.

Consider the following:

>Jaguar Paw spends the entire movie protecting his family
>Finally reunites with them after killing Zero Wolf
>Movie ends on Spanish arriving
>Spanish ultimately will kill Jaguar Paw and his entire family within a few years time at most

>Mayans were actually expanding during that period
What caused their collapse then?

American here. No we aren't.
We are taught that they were peaceful treehugging hippies until we massacred them. Notice how Indians aren't the bad guys in Westerns for the last 40 years?

No one knows, maybe drought maybe invasions but it occurred the 8-9th century and only in the lower part of the Mayan territory.

>What is Ron Howard's The Missing?

is he /our guy/

Maybe because they weren't the ones invading and killing women and children for gold. That doesn't mean anyone thinks any human group is 100% peaceful. Although some were, like the Indians Colombus encountered in his first voyage.

Hollywood hasn't made any Westerns in the last 40 years. Westerns were the capeshit of their era.

>We are taught that they were peaceful treehugging hippies until we massacred them.
Is a middle ground ever possible when discussing this topic?

Schoolchildren are definitely taught about scalping.

>what is Bone Tomahawk

>We are taught that they were peaceful treehugging hippies until we massacred them

I sure as hell wasn't and i'm also american you fucking idiot.

Mutants.

>Gibson literally went through painstaking detail hiring Mayan speaking actors and recreating Mayan art, sport, and culture. His huge big premise for the film revolves around the noted Mayan astronomical ability to predict eclipses, and in his words, use that to oppress their people. Not supposed to be historically accurate my ass.

Immersiveness =/= Historical accuracy.

>noble savage myth

The myth itself is that they were ''savages''.

Anybody who has studied their history will tell you how they actually weren't.

May examples come to mind. They were disgusted of the spaniards, not because of their physique or their skin, but because of their smell and their lack of table manners. Them, being used to baths and cleaning themselves.

Their cities, and their empire (because you probably also think they lived in huts and didn't have a sense of economy, market, territory) impressed Cortez to a point he compared their capital to their Spanish cities. What else was he amazed of? The fact that they had their own sewage system, something the spaniards didn't seem to understand.

Sure, they partake in human sacrifice (among other ritualistic and far more brutal festivities) but you gotta understand that this wasn't seen as ''evil'' in their eyes. It is said most of the captured warriors were proud to be sacrificed as it was their alternative to get a place in what they believed was the afterlife.

The Spaniards didn't conquer anything. They used the internal unrest against the Aztecs. But that alone didn't conquer Mexico either. Small pox did. Hadn't been for that, Spanish conquest would had have to wait a little bit longer.

>Maybe because they weren't the ones invading and killing women and children for gold.

Not for gold. For any other reason, fuck yes.

ugh

get off their dick faggot

But that deafeats the point doesn't it? We were talking explicitly about Aztecs, everyone knows Aztecs were bloodthirsty. Just saying native americans is too ambiguous and general, and does not prove anything.

he's right though you ahistorical dingus.

kys yourself idiot

>Need a shower? Bad table manners? EVIL!
>Mass human sacrifice? Not really bad, we can ignore that.

The Movie is a cautionary tale about a relatively advanced civilization that collapses under the weight of it's own decadence and depravity, leaving it at the mercy of proud and uncompromising conquerors.

Mel basically called the rag-head invasion of Europe.

Nice strawman fag

The irony is that the main characters are "saved" by the white men at the end, when in reality they were all about to get their shit fucked up even worse.

Completely missing the point fag.

ebin

>Nice summary fag.
Thanks, dude.

>summary

Kek, whatever you say

>you just now realize that all the "Aztecs" bullying and murdering smaller tribes were meant to be Mayan in the film

Jesus fucking Christ Mel...

Why is Hollywood so dumb about history?

ITT: history cunts ruining movie conversations. Sod off, you miserable cunts.

yeeaahhh man they were totally like with the stars and stuff dude

As a spic I thought it was neat that someone made a movie about my """ancestors""" I've been to various pyramid sites around South America and it's just neat to be able to connect to something that might have genetically been connected to a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away

I really like Mel Giibson and his Jew hating ways.

>The Spanish didn't conquer anything

You're right. Cortez did because he developed a God complex and took advantage of native unrest because the Aztecs were absolute cunts to local tribes.

The Spanish government wanted nothing to do with Cortez once he started going full retard and even sent a governor from the Caribbean to stop him.

Once Cortez and his army of tens of thousands of angry non-Aztecs brought down Tenochtitlan the Spanish government said "Fuck fine whatever."

Small pox devastated the native population, but Cortez took Tenchotitlan before it had a chance to have a far reaching effect.

that's not at all what he said you mental midget

faggots ITT aside this is a near perfect film 8/10

the most horrifying face of all time

Bone Tomahawk bro

>posts himself

>Robert Duvall
>Tarantino
>Scorsese
>Spike Lee
>Oh and fucking Richard literally who Roeper and guest critic and literally irrelevant bitch Aisha Tyler

this.

Furthermore, human sacrifice was prevalent in most if not all agrarian based economies.

>Human sacrifice? A-Okay, not savagery in the slightest
>Enslaving their neighbours to sacrifice them and take their gold? A-Okay
>Spainards being stinky due to travelling over the ocean in great sea faring vessels and bringing over horses? Such evil savagery