Are these the most technically impressive pieces of music of the 20th century for classical, electronic, jazz, rock...

Are these the most technically impressive pieces of music of the 20th century for classical, electronic, jazz, rock, and folk?

all great albums, but no

>Guys, is my taste great or what, please tell me it is

>no TMR

>rite of spring
yes
>kontakte
no
>black saint
objectively yes
>itcock
no, lmao
>fare foreward
maybe

why does everybody meme that shitty fahey album so much, his 60s and late 50s stuff is way better

no
no
yes
no
no

Replace Le Sacre Du Printemps with Bach Cantatas Complete Box Set (the Bach Cantata Pilgrimage one)

Kontakte is exactly where it needs to be. Some pleb will mention a Varese or Oliveros piece that did nowhere near as much as Kontakte did or they'll be an even bigger pleb and mention Autechre. But it's Kontakte.

Replace Black Saint with Ascension.

Replace ITCOTCK with either Lick My Decals Off, Close To The Edge, The Modern Dance, or Altars Of Madness depending on what you appreciate most about rock music.

Depending on what can be considered folk, FFV can be replaced by Shahen-Shah or Fly, Fly My Sadness. Otherwise it's fine.

Because it's not? His early stuff is way too close to generic old school blues stuff. The stuff right before FFV has some cool ideas in them, but there's always some kind of filler or another. FFV and the original release of America are his most cohesive works by far where you exclusively see his particular style of playing.

>The Modern Dance
Isn't that just Post Punk?

Yeah. I thought he meant rock music overall, so post-punk as well? Not to mention that Pere Ubu's whole "avant-garage rock" label they often put on themselves makes more sense than post-punk.

Besides, The Modern Dance isn't the only "non-rock" record there. I also have Altars Of Madness that is death metal. Again, that one really depends on what you appreciate the most about rock music. Lick My Decals Off is Beefheart's tightest record, and does the best job of his signature deconstruction style. Close To The Edge has some of the most straightforwardly sophisticated playing in rock music. The Modern Dance has a lot of experimentation on it with jazz/electronic bits, polyphony, etc. while keeping the energy of rock music. Altars Of Madness maintains intricate hooks and very high visceral intensity.

this is some spectacularly shit taste

It's not a matter of taste, but what's good.

>Bach
>20th century

Bach is every century, little one

you talkin about PDQ?

Then replace with Monteverdi Choir's non pilgrimage Cantata recordings which were all done in the 20th century.

>jsb
>not eternal
"nein"

mozart stole bach's lifeforce to keep himself alive
it was a pr stunt to make the requiem popular

Kontakte is electronic but it is also classical so you basically have two classical pieces

Black Saint for jazz, yes

King Crimson, fuck no, should be either TMR, Faust s/t, or Twin Infinitives

John Fahey isn't folk lmao

>inb4 I'm taking the b8

>all these people saying yes for Black Saint
Why are so few people here well versed in jazz if at all? It's no different from The Epic in its repetitive, limited as fuck playing except it doesn't feel as awful since it's not three hours long.

>no
>maybe
>no
>no
>maybe

>It's no different from The Epic in its repetitive, limited as fuck playing

you don't know jack shit about jazz. way to completely out yourself.

>technically impressive

what the fuck

disqualified from being human

You sound like you have no idea what you're talking about.

It is though. Phrases constantly repeated, with the playing nowhere as adventurous as other jazz stuff. There's a reason Downbeat didn't give it a 5/5 when it came out. Or that one of the comments given about it is "one of the greatest achievements in orchestration by any composer in jazz history." which is hilarious because jazz was never about orchestration and classical music has done it much better, too.

You're probably "Davis, Coltrane, Mingus, Coleman, a lot of free jazz, the list goes on..." kind of jazz fan. A person who can't discern what the players are actually playing.

I like you jazzguy, you can come over to my house and fuck my sister

>There's a reason Downbeat didn't give it a 5/5 when it came out.

so you let critics give you your opinions? that's cool

>dude Source didn't give It Take A Nation 5 mics when it came out so it totally isn't a classic

*It Takes A Nation

anyways the whole "you need to be a musician to understand [insert genre here]" meme has been debunked countless times and all you are is an elitist snob

>so you let critics give you your opinions? that's cool
Nope, because it's one of the first things people mention, so I thought I would get it out of the way.

Also ITAN isn't worth a 5/5 either. Look how terribly it has aged. It's a 4/5 at best until somebody mixes everything better.

Black Saint isn't even Mingus best.

>generic old school blues stuff
You mean his best stuff?

>anyways the whole "you need to be a musician to understand [insert genre here]" meme has been debunked countless times and all you are is an elitist snob
You don't have to be a musician to discern melody, harmony, rhythm, changes in timbre/delivery/dynamics/etc. So even a non-musician can eventually hear the lack of interesting playing on TBSATSL.

Nah, his worst stuff that isn't that Christmas shit. I can go down the street to hear some dude playing basic chords on his acoustic, too.

The only thing on this list that could objectively be in the running for a title like "most technically impressive piece of the 20th century" is Rite of Spring, but there are so many other 20th century pieces that are just as hard if not moreso. The others are just albums you saw posted on Sup Forums a lot so you thought they must be the best, there are so many far more technically demanding albums out there, at least for jazz

>lack of interesting playing on TBSATSL

that's just objectively wrong

unless you can show me a better jazz album that came out before it

waow you do not understand

What about the most technically impressive pieces from those genres in the 21st century?

One album per artist:

Kind Of Blue
A Love Supreme
The Shape Of Jazz To Come
Mingus Ah Um
Freefall
Spiritual Unity
Gongs East!
Time Out
Duke Ellington's Blanton-Webster recordings
City Of Glass (this one did experimental big band stuff long before Mingus as well)
the list truly goes on

The funniest shit is how you guys say TBSATSL is objectively the best when objectively it's among the simplest, least detailed jazz record of its time.

>classical
Brian Ferneyhough's String Quartet No. 5
>electronic
Autechre - elseq 1-5
>jazz
Henry Threadgill - In For A Penny In For A Pound
>rock
Radiohead - Kid A

or

Encenathrakh - s/t

depending on your definition of technical
>folk
Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me

>Kid A
>21st century

Can you objectively prove that Black Saint isn't interesting?

I don't think you understand. Black Saint is Scaruffi's favorite jazz album and is probably the jazz album with the highest score on rym. Of course it's the best, you must just have a shit opinion

This isn't half bad.
Although i fucking hate Time Out. Could never stand that album.

Then the choice would be Encenathrakh as that came out in 2015 for you.

>>electronic
>Autechre - elseq 1-5

lmao

you're a fool to thing autechre comes close to stocky

I knew that already buddy

what the fuck? I've heard literally all of that shit, I thought you were some ultra patrician who knew incredible jazz nobody ever talks about? some of my favorites of all time are lesser known than that, Black Saint isn't even my favorite Mingus album lmao

It lacks the intricacy in playing that the listed records from before have. This can be measured by looking at the variety in the metrics I mentioned before, where TBSATSL comes out short. Jazz since that time period has been all about improvisations. The album fails at offering an improvisational experience that is objectively higher in engagement than its peers. Otherwise the record's often known for its orchestration, but there can be an objectively higher variety of arrangements that can be found on a record like City Of Glass (which also did it first btw it came out 12 years before TBSATSL), and by just attempting to do it one can realize that the orchestration on something like say...Miles Davis' Kind Of Blue with it's manipulation of negative space is much tougher to do and more creative considering musical trends of the time than what TBSATSL had done which had been done many times in the realm of classical.

oh my GOD why do you have to invade every thread and make like three threads at the same time

Miles davis repeated phrases and you dont care about that?

Black Saint has improvisation and from its live feel + composition it becomes much more soulful than many classical pieces. Plus, many jazz musicians composed, such as Duke Ellington and Ornette Coleman

Not every album needs a 5/5 upon release

It engaged me plenty, although I was a big pleb when I listened to it first. Your opinion is noted.

>say Black Saint is bad because of the focus on composition rather than improvisation

>post Duke Ellington, one of the most famous jazz COMPOSERS to prove him wrong

Post an example from the 21st century, then.
>inb4 the newer wave of Musique concrete like Graham Lambkin
Nope, they greatly simplified the works of the likes of Stockhausen and Varese.
>Onkyo guys
Nope, considering how long development takes in this kind of music it's far simpler than elseq.
>lowercase stuff like Jakob Ullman
See Onkyo
Never said that. It's just that Autechre tops it this century.

>Nope, they greatly simplified the works of the likes of Stockhausen and Varese.

and then Autechre reduced it to fucking club music

>Miles davis repeated phrases and you dont care about that?
Only as a modal foundation for the improvisers to go ham on top.
Blanton Webster recordings are named after two players who played with Ellington who had unique playstyles that brought a kind of diversity not there in any of the players on TBSATSL.

Have you listened to elseq? It sounds nothing like club music and is far more technical than any 21st century work of electronic music in the classical/"art" music sphere. Even more so considering the process behind making it.

>Have you listened to elseq?

yes it's my #2 for 2016

>is far more technical than any 21st century work of electronic music in the classical/"art" music sphere.

that's just straight up bullshit and you are insanely ignorant if you think that. and yes I know how it was made.

You still haven't offered any alternatives and only just posted "lmao" which is just a waste of both of our time.

I'm not sharing my patrician taste with you

Oh, so you don't know shit and are just here to troll. Gotcha.

one day you will understand my friend

>>rock
>Radiohead - Kid A
>or
>Encenathrakh - s/t
>depending on your definition of technical
Explain further.

Well, the other guy's right and Kid A technically isn't part of 21st century. But, my initial intention was that so the thread says technically impressive, right? Kid A has a ridiculous amount and variety of production work done on it. It's why each track on it is different from the one before it. This is technical due to the studio work involved to put it all together. Encenathrakh is a technical black metal band that doesn't repeat riffs and plays very melodically/rhythmically intricate riffs that are quite unorthodox/esoteric as well in their formation. Thus they are more structurally and performance based technical.

I just wanted a Kid A explanation, which I can accept even though I don't think that what OP and/or you were going for. Thanks anyway, user.

Because it's Scaruffi-core. I like it but I agree he has much better albums