This garbage ass album has the same problem as The Epic in terms of how limited and repetitive the improvisations are...

This garbage ass album has the same problem as The Epic in terms of how limited and repetitive the improvisations are. Yet one gets droned as the GOAT jazz album by plebs and only the other one gets rightfully shit upon. Hypocrites, all of you.

should have been you instead of chester

>comparing Mingus to Washington
i'm not sure how to respond to this post. good bait though

>both simplify complex jazz rhythms into simplistic grooves
>both have a relatively large personnel list for jazz music which helps them have "more colorful orchestration"
>both have players that are extremely limited in their ability to express themselves on their respective instruments, often leading to repeats of various phrases and very little variety in melody/harmony/rhythm/timbre/dynamics/delivery
>both hyped a lot to be amazing, though people who know their jazz think both are overrated
>people who ultimately have no clue about jazz tend to like both of them

what is your favorite jazz album, then?

The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady

makes sense thank you

Ten Freedom Summers

The Epic also like 90 times longer than this

>music about nogs getting freedoms
explains it all really

you don't deserve to post in my board
back to r/music

WE

It's great because it has actual classical music influences rather than Mingus' piss poor attempts at "orchestration"

t. 89iq

Sure, their soloing skills aren't as rich as the masters out there, but you're comparing third-stream concept albums to traditional bop. They had different goals in mind.

Far East Suite, Skies Of America, Strings With Evan Parker, Ten Freedom Summers, In For A Penny In For A Pound are also all either some form of third stream or some kind of classical/jazz combo where all the players still end up being very tasteful in their playing.

Why is it a contest? Explain your philosophy on music and why everyone else should abide by it.

Personally I think it's a waste of time to compare artists that way. You're just spreading negativity and dividing people. Sure, you can compare things with respect, but to completely shit on other artists is ridiculous.

topical burn

One won't find this post on any other baby's first entry level artist's thread. Like say....Kamasi Washington....or Linkin Park.

HOLYSHIT TURBO PLEB EVERYONE STAND BACK WE HAVE A DEFCON 9 LEVEL PLEBERINO ON OUR HANDS GETTING ANYWHERE NEAR THIS PLEBBY OPINION WILL LITERALLY CAUSE JOHN MCCAIN LEVELS OF CANCER

Try arguing with stronger logic, user. You just make yourself look immature.

No need for logic to talk back to an entirely subjective statement. I already gave my observations on why I believe what I do about the album in that other thread.

Consider the following

Freedom is overrated though. The album reins back the excesses and overindulgence that result from soloists being given freedom. Composing the piece in advance results in more interesting interplay than a few improvising musicians can come up on the fly

If the improvising musicians suck ass like on TBSATSL, yeah sure. But actually good musicians don't need to worry about this.

I like TBSATSL, but it is objectively more reddit than Ten Freedom Summers

Why don't you fags listen to actual music (read: Western art music) instead?

Oh wait, you unironically think jazz is worth listening to, exposing yourselves as tasteless brainlets.

But I do. My other half of criticism on Mingus is literally based on how watered down his take on weaving arrangements is compared to the western art music that inspires him. I also listen to jazz as well. If you can't appreciate what jazz has done for performance through improvisation, then you might be an even bigger brainlet than these guys who think TBSATSL is good. "muh jazz is inferior to classical" is even more pointless considering the most dense stuff in jazz that has also been coming out recently is essentially western art music.

jazz is piss ugly nigger music epitomizing the american anti-culture, it no more becomes "art" because they make references to other grotesque post-war necromancers in their nonsensical nigger cacophonies