Can someone help me with this math?

Can someone help me with this math?
If stats say 1 in 100 women are raped but 88% of rapes aren't reported (so 12% of rapes account for 1% of the population), how do I find the "real" number of victims? I'm thinking you just use 12/100=1/x and cross multiply, this would mean 8.33% of women are raped per year. I want my math to be right before I tell this guy how much of an idiot he is for claiming 88% of rapes are unreported AND that 20% of women get raped

Other urls found in this thread:

ucr.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2016/preliminary-semiannual-uniform-crime-report-januaryjune-2016
youtube.com/watch?v=YiPsnGybQt4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Well first you have an issue with context.
Does 1% of women are raped account for the supposed under reporting of rape or not?

The problem with this is the use of the word "victim". 80% of bitches like it and fantasize about it. Only 2-3% of women are raped and wish they weren't, and half of those have mixed feelings.

Are you trying to factor in how many false rapes are reported?

You also need to figure out what this guy means by 'rape'. There was one highly discredited study done at like 2 universities where they came up with 1 in 5 women were 'sexually assaulted' but they defined sexual assault as a guy going in for a kiss when the recipient wasn't feeling it, or being asked out by someone the respondent didn't consider to be in their league.
That's the only 20% rape number I've heard. (1 in 5 = 20% for those following along at home).

For simplicity we will just say the 1% is only reported, since there's no way this guy will accept anything lower.

Honestly the 1% is even buffed up an extra 50% from the real number in order to account for unreported, but 33% unreported is less than 88% unreported. This is why I used quotes on real in the OP

Any unreported rape is anecdotal evidence at best. It's like trying to guess how many innocent men are in jail, or how many illegal aliens there are in the US.
There are ways to estimate these things but any serious pundit would put a huge asterisk next to assumptions about the numbers.

88/12*1

no, I'm looking for the total number of rapes, when I know what % are unreported (88% aren't reported) and know the number of victims for reported (1 in 100 for reported rapes which only account for 12% of all rapes).

I think it's irrelevant at this point. He claimed 88% of rapes are unreported, and that 20% of women in total are raped. But I don't see the total being 20% when 12% of rapes (the reported ones) account for 1 in100 or 1% for simplicity. I want to prove it to him though, or else it will be just ignored by all.

You're looking for the total number or rapes. If you're wanting to factor in the un-reported rapes, but not the falsely accused rapes, your outcome will be wrong.

You either need to stick to reported rapes / 100 women, or factor in both.

Well, your math is correct, but tactically I'd urge you to make him prove his numbers. Your case is always stronger when your opponent is on the defensive and for anyone who's known more than 10 women who haven't been raped his numbers are suspect.

Obviously but let's pretend we know how many are unreported, in this case 88%. Now if we know that the reported ones avaerage out to 1% of women being raped, how do I find the total? Think of it as 12% of coin seen on the ground are left alone and 88% are picked up, we know that 1% of people both saw the coin and left it alone (this is the 12%) how do we find out how many people interacted with the coin, knowing that most people didn't even notice it.
If that makes sense or helps.

that's what I did in the OP, I just did it in a way that includes reported and unreported.

I'm not trying to find the REAL number, I'm looking for the "real" number just to show this person that their numbers don't match and hopefully get him and others that see the comment to start actually thinking.
So in this case we are pretending all reported and, known through surveys though not reported, rapes are true.

thank you, I just wanted to double check my math so I didn't look like a complete moron.
As for the advice, I might try but there's no way to make him answer and as we know people can be all too willingly to overlook things when facts don't add up with their world view, especially if it's just a comment on a random post.

You're lacking some data points still.

Here just use this data:
ucr.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2016/preliminary-semiannual-uniform-crime-report-januaryjune-2016

Thanks everyone, at least I know I have gone completely stupid with math, but I just reread his comment. He said "88% of rapes are unreported and 1 in 5 women will be raped in their lifetime" So I have no idea how, or if it's even possible, to compare these numbers and see if they add up.
As for the thread, do as you will or let it die, though if anyone smarter than me knows, the knowledge would be appreciated.

its bull shit
ive bet hundreds of women in my life maybe over a thousand
i have only raped like 10

how do you know 88% of rapes aren't reported if they aren't reported?

Tell him his math is bad because it was derived by dividing the number of rapes times life expectancy by the number of women.

In fact many women who are raped are raped more than once. Call it bad luck, bad judgment, or gang rape, but his numbers are still bad.

youtube.com/watch?v=YiPsnGybQt4

Honestly I didn't even read the whole post, you can call him a retard based on the numbers you have don't add up to 20%, or call him the most prolific rapist of all time if he specifically has kowledge that 11.66% more women are being raped than the statistic suggests

You can't account for unreported rapes as that is the same as accounting for an unknown number.

You can only account for the reported ones and account for the false reports, if it wasn't reported then it wasn't deemed by the "victim" to be rape and thus not being rape.

it's wrong. women suck at math.

google image search;
rapes unreported tmblr
pick first image, go to webpage; explanation provided.
Can't sent link because Sup Forums reading that as spam for some reason.

kids need to learn math

so you know that x(.12) = (1/100)
so you want x
so you apply algebra and get x = (1/100)/(.12)

Logic checks indicate that this should be right for what you want because dividing by .12 yields a larger number.

Now let me tell you why you're retarded.

Put simply, you have no idea how 1/100 was calculated. 1/100 could already take unreported rapes into account and you could be raising the number for no reason, however there is an even greater reason that you are being stupid.

HOW THE FUCK DO WE KNOW THAT 88% OF RAPES AREN'T REPORTED!?!?! Think about it. Did they find 12 women who said they were raped and then ask them who reported it? If that's what happened then the sample size is absolute garbage. Did someone just read a study overview and make up the 88% figure? That sounds dumb, but I've seen that happen with studies before. The most recent example of this that I've seen is dog owners claiming pure breeds don't have troublesome medical problems - spoiler alert, the study most often quoted as "proving this" confirms that pure breeds do actually have very specific medical issues.

You're approaching this problem like it's a simple word problem on a test. It isn't. It's a complicated political quagmire with tricky statistics.

This doesn't even mention grouping the women by geographical location and socioeconomic status to see how that effects trends and rates.

The usual claim is that surveys (that are anonymous and therefore can't be followed up on) are sent out and more women claim to have been raped than crime stats indicate, they may also specify that they never reported it

>kids need to learn math
Then proceed to give me math that provides the exact same answer as the math I provided in OP.
The original number, which was ~1:350 a year provided by pew research, did not include unreported rapes. Though you are right I have no clue because I never looked up the report, I was simple in a comment thread started by someone else that brought this number saying it came from government crime stats from 2000-2016 across 14 countries. He used the 1:100, and later revealed the real number and how he had already bolstered it for unreported.
The 88% unreported is what the other guy was claiming, so I was just indulging him to show that even accounting for this number he gave out of nowhere it didn't add up with other claims. The usual claim is that surveys (that are anonymous and therefore can't be followed up on) are sent out and more women claim to have been raped than crime stats indicate, they may also specify that they never reported it.

Because you're a jerk and weren't even correct in your jerkness, no pic for you