This are the top 10 albums of all time according to Sputnikmusic...

This are the top 10 albums of all time according to Sputnikmusic, a rival or rateyourmusic (the scores are based on the ratings of the userbase)

Is it better or worse than the Rym list?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wrbKvxGgFfg
youtube.com/watch?v=66FFScgTOcQ
youtube.com/watch?v=jQde8CqNCLE
youtube.com/watch?v=cgRsYkKb1eI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Here is the rym top 10

>hip hop
>top 5
nope

why the hell is Wish You Were Here so popular? It's not even the best Pink Floyd album.

They are all good albums. It's weird to think that different websites and their users would pick different albums. Although I think all those albums are rated high on both places. Does RYM and Sputnikmusic attract different users?

Jazz and no meme computer on top 10 makes it the better site. Also their reviews are actually counted on metacritic.

for you

this is much more varied, i feel as though they must have a more varied userbase

rym list is better. but sputnik gets credit for having some black artists in their. rym is really lacking in that regard.

I like how they randomly throw in a classical piece to try and seem cultured.

its a list of the highest rated albums of the entire community. you think they collectively decided to rate that up in ordered to have a "more cultured" top 10?

>goes to a record store once

I concur.

Beethoven's 9th is a classic, everyone has already heard it, it's like the Dark Side of the Moon of classical
I don't see anything wrong with it being on the list.

they is a complete database of people you dumb retard

I think it shows how casual Sputnik users are when it comes to classical, like they feel obligated to rate that particular piece high. In reality, the whole list should be filled with classical

sputnik wins simply for having Beethoven's 9th

>no three cheers for sweet revenge
Get these fucking pleb lists out of here

this post is really retarded, sputnik isnt a fucking hivemind you homo

>In reality, the whole list should be filled with classical
this

No women in the top ten, c'mon thats bullshit.

The 7th is much better desu

I like everything on there except for Nas. I can get behind this.

>beatles arent automatically number 1

Well they're certainly less plebby than RYM

>dude black people lmao!

Way worse, which I didnt know was possible

Sputnik one by far for being more varied and not full of RYM's indie rock circle jerk.

The only woman who's made albums that might qualify for a top 10 list is Nico.

Before I listen to a new Artist I check if their albums are rated >=3.8 to make sure I am not listening to some pleb shit.

Am I pleb?

Well Sputnikmusic has much simpler rating algorithm that is not weighted and doesn't take number of votes

Used to do that years ago before I got more into the specific genres/artists I like to listen to. Jazz (and sorta classical, too I guess?) artist Henry Threadgill's album from last year has a 3.3 average, and black metal band Blasphemy's record Fallen Angel Of Doom has a 3.8 average. I personally think they are both much better than that, but that's because I know my way around both genres enough to know that now. Sputnik will do some really plebby stuff like have Death's Symbolic be the highest rated death metal album ever, which is fine in that people not exposed to a variety of the genre will for sure think that way. So yeah doing that can only take you so far.

It does though. That's why you aren't albums with a small handful of votes that might be a 4.6 or above.

which album by a woman should be top 10 then?

Frankly they're both mediocre, it's the usual canon stuff.
Rym is slightly better thanks to VU, radiohead, loveless and pet sounds.
Having any hip hop and metal in a top10 is a huuuuuuuge mistake.

there might be a certain minimum to get into the chart
Compare RYm where almost all top albums have 10K votes while on Sputnik it varies from 400 to 5000

"No"

Yeah, but RYM's system eventually becomes a popularity contest of a sort.
>m-muh indie rock
Fuck off. The pretentious narrowmindedness of the indie rock community is what caused music on the internet to become such an elitist shithole.

>>m-muh indie rock
The absolute state of your reading comprehension.

>VU
>Radiohead
>Loveless
Are you kidding me?

b-but what about bjork user
i'll triggered hard

Not indie rock
Not indie rock
Not indie rock

Sputnikmusic is like amalgamation of P4K and RYM with less pretentious user base

Also there are lots of metalheads

damn you're dumb

>thinks indie rock is just the stuff from the 2000s
Nope, I am very clearly talking about everything that comes within it's chain of sound/style. That includes overrated crap like TVU&N, The Queen Is Dead, Doolittle, Loveless, OKC, etc.

you clearly have mental problems, don't talk to me ever again.
nothing wrong with enjoying indie music by the way.

Democracy is to make the plebiens feel empowered this list is bad but that's to be expected

>Expose how Radiohead is overrated
>get shat on by reddit
Sup Forums-males OUT!

>>thinks indie rock is just the stuff from the 2000s
Who said anything about the 2000s?
>it's chain of sound style
I'll throw you a bone, you can't describe this because indie rock is a marketing term.

>tfw a regular poster on sputnik in the early 2010s and now the forum is dead

What do people have against these lists? They're based partially on popularity, of course they're never going to have Ground-Zero or AMM or Harry Partch or whatever in the top 10
For what it is, I think the RYM list is pretty damn good and a helpful resource
I mean, what other published list has Talk Talk, Fishmans, DJ Shadow, Death, and Pharoah Sanders in the top 200?

at least neither of these lists are rollingstone's top 10, how fucking awful
>wish you were here
>jimi hendrix experience
>the beatles
>megadeth
awful list
nas is an Eh pick for the best of all time but nof offensively terrible
>ok computer
>loveless
>kid a
>beatles
good but not the greatest of all time
>dsotm
>tvu&n
>pet sounds
>itcotck
all respectable picks

>megadeath
>top 1000

>hipster trash triggered by being called out for the pretentious losers they are
Must hurt that nobody cares about indie stuff anymore outside the RYM circlejerk and r/indieheads. Might wanna go there instead of here.
Rock based music focused on "textures/atmosphere" rather than anything particularly focusing on songwriting and high energy. Textures usually create a darker more melancholic atmosphere with very simplistic playing behind it. Of course, OKC would appear to not exactly fit this due to the amount of production work put into it, but behind the production work and certain chord choices, that record, everything Radiohead has ever done bar Kid A/Amnesiac fits perfectly. When people call out crap like this for being the simplistic junk it is, it's always some sorta pretentious "b-but muh atmosphere it's sssssoooo sophisticated." Nah, fuck off.

>>>RYM
>>>r/indieheads

stop with this indie backlashhh
AHHHHHHHHH
wtf happened to this board????

>le ebin meal maymay

>megadeath is bad
>how dare you insult metal? Meme! Meme!

>Rock based music focused on "textures/atmosphere" rather than anything particularly focusing on songwriting and high energy.

it looks like you completely missed the post punk and "alternative" revolution of the 70s and 80s.

major label releases

The last time people actually cared for the music was maybe two years ago, and it's nothing like the 2009 heyday.

Because post-punk wasn't centered just on textures/atmosphere. Though the one that was entirely based on that (Joy Division) is, unsurprisingly the largest influence on indie rock.

>textures
>atmosphere
>playing
>production work
>chord choices
Buzzword upon buzzword. You seem to not like this music for being simplistic so chart out what makes it bad, surely you know something about theory.
REM and Television had much more of an influence than JD.

>Buzzword upon buzzword.
You have no clue what buzzword means. The phrases I used aren't trendy words, but words used by people in the realm of music for decades now.
>You seem to not like this music for being simplistic
Why would anyone want to listen to music with no depth to it? It makes for an objectively inferior listening experience. The fact that some of this stuff was and still is considered the GOAT shows how hard people got brainwashed or were never observant music listeners to begin with.
>REM and Television had much more of an influence than JD.
Psssshhhhhh no they didn't. Post-punk revival certainly wasn't based around them. Nor were every indie band's approach to sadboy shit.

You are the worst guy

dumb thread

if you took mingus, coltrane, nas, beethoven, and added TVU from that RYM chart you'd have some surprisingly good contenders for *a* top 10 list.

>words used by people in the realm of music for decades now.
They're as good as trendy words when you don't unpack them at all.
>Why would anyone want to listen to music with no depth to it?
Simplicity and depth aren't mutually exclusive at all. This seems like a bigger bias I can't really steer you from but if you could control what the RYM top 10 could look like, what would it have?
>Post-punk revival certainly wasn't based around them. Nor were every indie band's approach to sadboy shit.
The latter owes as much to the Smiths and the Cure as JD, who most post-punk revival apart from the National and Interpol don't sound very similar to.

3/10
5/10

Sputnik wins for Charles Mingus alone

>pink floyd, miles davis, nas, john coltrane, the beatles all on the list
doesn't have the best album by any of them

>They're as good as trendy words when you don't unpack them at all.
No they aren't. You used buzzwords the wrong way, and those are descriptors that anyone that knows music should be able to understand. But then, I wouldn't be surprised if an indiefag has no fucking clue.
>Simplicity and depth aren't mutually exclusive at all.
Except they are though. ex. many indie rock albums have unique atmospheres, but once you try to go beyond that, there's nothing else but simple chord progressions.
>This seems like a bigger bias I can't really steer you from but if you could control what the RYM top 10 could look like, what would it have?
Then it would just be my top 10 then, right? But I would just want some actual diversity signifying that there's a more open minded music audience that knows music very well.
>The latter owes as much to the Smiths and the Cure as JD
Nah, JD at least is more popular than The Cure, and The Smiths are nowhere near as straightforwardly depressing.
>who most post-punk revival apart from the National and Interpol don't sound very similar to.
National, Strokes, Killers, and Interpol all had very obvious JD influences even covering JD songs. Sure their later stuff doesn't sound as much like JD, but that's more of them becoming closer to mainstream rock than anything connected to post punk.

Where are you from where you think JD is more popular than the Cure?

>National, Strokes, Killers, and Interpol all had very obvious JD

lol this nigga is pathetic

Huh, I am actually surprised. The better band is fortunately more popular. That being said, JD was earlier, and their influence is for sure more widespread. Even The Cure's lyrical style wasn't as straight up sadboy as JD's (see Lovesong)
>doesn't believe this
youtube.com/watch?v=wrbKvxGgFfg
youtube.com/watch?v=66FFScgTOcQ
youtube.com/watch?v=jQde8CqNCLE
youtube.com/watch?v=cgRsYkKb1eI

stop samefagging crazyaga everyone knows its you
you just make yourself look autistic

normie

>no Piper at the gates
>no OK Computer
>no ITCOTCK
>Illmatic and 36 Chambers in the top 10

I mean they're both good albums, but certainly not the best of all time

Shit list.

Lots. But Katy Perry and Taylor Swift, for starters.