Is it even possible to hate this album?

Is it even possible to hate this album?

If you like Thrash Metal, it's the zenith of the entire genre.

I really enjoy it, not only because it's the first metal album i've heard but because (imo) it's the best album Metallica ever released since now.

Ride the Lightning is way better

I know it's cliche to rag on the production have a love-hate relationship with the mixing. On the one hand, those buzzsaw guitars sound super edgy and dangerous and fit the tone of the album really well (theugh I hate the "happy face EQ" they inspired). The drums are super punchy; the bass drum has a great thump to it, and the snares are shrill and exhilirating.Lars actually sounds like a good drummer. Put on a good pair of headphones and it's an interesting mix.
But I still can't get over the bass. It's definitely there, you can hear it especially on the title track and on To Live Is To Die, but it lacks presence, and as a result the whole album suffers. There's no bottom end, no "thiccness" to carry the groove, so the guitars have to do the bass's job.

The actual songs themselves though? 11/10 fucking incredible.

I agree with this nigga. If the bass wasn't fucked I'd go so far as to say it's a perfect album. Hell, probably the pinnacle of thrash at that.

I was in high school when this came out, it was all you heard coming out of peoples car for a while. Stoners used to have parties just to headbang to this album.

This so much

why is lars allowed to live

I'm sure you would hate it if you were Jason Newstead.

It's one of my favorites, feel ya bruh

Not as good as st.anger

Remasters exist.

If you mean the brickwalled versions, then yes. Remasters exist. But better stick to the original

Master of Puppets is a much finer crafted album, comparatively.

Lars can only play a shitty skank beat and the songs drag on for too long
most of the riffs are chugs
Rust in Peace is better
Watchtower is better if you want old prog thrash
Vektor is better if you want new prog thrash
MoP has like 3 good songs man

>Watchtower is better if you want old prog thrash
>Vektor is better if you want new prog thrash
These, and I'd like to add that Heathen's Victims of Deception is literally "Metallica, but actually good": the album.

This is undoubtedly their peak. For as high as the peaks are in Rust in Peace or Among the Living are, I don't feel the in between songs are as memorable as, say, Shortest Straw or Eye of the Beholder. Songs like Blackened, Justice, One, To Live is to Die, and Dyer's Eve proved them to be the reigning champions of the genre.

Voivod beat this and every album ever made by this band in every way

AtL is probably the weakest of the old Belladonna era albums desu yo.

my nigger
also if you want muh gubmints lyrics and awesome drums and riffs check out Gammacide, they only have 1 LP
beware though, they have a terrible vocalist

That sweet, sweet bait.

It's not a bad album at all, just not on the same level of excellence as the other 3. Persistence of Time and Spreading the Disease are their best.

Thrash metal? More like trash metal lol

Got em

So, because a band steals Metallica's signature sound that makes them "actually good"?

Metallica never had an "original" sound to begin with (not that it even matters), what I mean is that Heathen played the same style of thrash but did it much better.

If Metallica's sound isn't original then where did they get their sound from?

see
sadly, they should've quit after 1991, they're just talentless hacks who have produced nothing of value since then

And I've seen them twice live, not gonna go see them third time. Shitty show with shitty drummer who cant keep a beat

Venom and other NWOBHM like everyone else at the time. No one really "invented" thrash metal though, Exodus, Overkill, Artillery and many others were playing thrash in their separate local scenes.

Awful mixing with non-existent bass.
Tracks overlong with no reason for riffs to be repeated as much as they are.
Hetfield's vocals only get more watered down from previous records as is the trend with the first five.
Ulrich's drumming has never been good and often makes parts that could've sounded even more powerful instead sound weak.

The true peak of thrash is either:

Coroner - Mental Vortex
Demolition Hammer - Epidemic Of Violence

Depending on what you like about thrash.