ITT: Albums you have a huge hatred for

I hate everything what this album is and represents.

Bowie completely sold out on this album. The music is uninteresting and insulting, he just pandered to the lowest common denominator at the time and conforms to popular music standards. It was purely to make money and Bowie himself admitted that, and he also said that it fucked with his integrity as an artist. The success of the album lead him to create more commercial products that are also completely terrible or perhaps worse than this album in terms of the music. But this was a turning point.

I think Bowie is one of the most talented people of all time, he could make any type of music, play any instrument, he had talent as a singer (with insane vocal range), could act, could paint, etc.. The fact that he had a streak from Station to Station to Scary Monsters and ended that with Lets Dance is just disappointing. He went from Low and Heroes to Lets Dance in a span of 6 years. Imagine if he never sold out and continued making music based off of his creativity. I don't know what the potential could have been, but Lets Dance completely ruined and tainted what was good of Bowie

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=l9fQTQ6z324
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Just because you can make the quirkiest music doesn't mean you actually should.

Bowie never made a really good album. He had one or two great ideas per record and all tracks on the record are a variation on similar themes. When it worked, the best two to three tracks on the record were God-tier while the rest were decent to serviceable. This is true of every single record except for Low and that's only because of Brian Eno. Let's Dance is an outlier in that it does not follow this formula. The only two good tracks here are the two big singles and the rest just isn't very good at all.

>All tracks on the record are a variation on similar themes

yeah that's called a cohesive record, headass

Kys, and I am completely honest when I'm saying that

I should have said 'really great album' to make my point better. Anyway I stand by this and I'm a huge Bowie fan. I just don't kid myself that he has any 10/10 albums. He has a shit ton of 11/10 songs though. This is not a bad thing. In fact it's great because he did it differently than what everyone else was up to.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=l9fQTQ6z324

These times were... something else

Low is a pleb album, im just gonna say it

Modern Love makes me teary

See I disagree with that, and I think being thematically consistent is actually a good thing. While that may be true for a lot of his albums in which he had a couple songs that were really good and the rest were okay, I think albums like Ziggy Stardust, Aladdin Sane, Diamond Dogs, Heroes, Lodger, Blackstar, etc... are really solid albums with a couple to a very few bad songs. While Station to Station and Low are 10/10s for me because every song is fantastic on those albums. With the Brian Eno thing, Bowie and Eno co-created the ambient tracks and Berlin era songs. Sure Eno may have been more involved with the main elements of the song, Bowie still added elements and composed to the context of the album and what he wanted

Agreed OP

Anyone who defends this pandering trash is broken in the head

Anything by slint. Fuck that shitty band.

Look, I don't with anything you said about the album, but do you think Bowie's career would have continued without this album?
I'm legitimately asking this.

>It was purely to make money and Bowie himself admitted that
Not true
"at the time, Let's Dance was not mainstream. It was virtually a new kind of hybrid, using blues-rock guitar against a dance format. There wasn't anything else that really quite sounded like that at the time. So it only seems commercial in hindsight because it sold so many [copies]. It was great in its way, but it put me in a real corner in that it fucked with my integrity."

yeah I think he, Iggy pop and tony visconti just made some thing that they wanted to try...wasn't Iggy pop's album 'The Idiot' ridiculed by critics too?

>title references "Fuck Art, Let's Dance"
>Produced by Nile Rodgers
>not mainstream

Yeah "Shake It" is such a lyrical experimental masterpiece; "yeah I made a pop record with blues guitar so it's original"

Shake it, shake it, what's my line
Ah, shake it baby
Ah, shake it shake it
I duck and I sway, what's my line
I shoot at a full moon, what's my line
So what's my line, shake it shake it baby
Shake it, shake it
Shake it, baby
Shake, shake it
Shake it baby
Shake it, shake it

>confused underage: the post

What do you mean?

Kind of agree but have a huge soft spot for Modern Love. One of my go too songs for belting out while I'm driving down the motorway. But yeah Bowie fell off hard.

It was a birthday present, and she bought it because the only band she knew I liked was the Velvet Underground

how dare you

Modern love is a fun pop song I enjoy

Modern Love is 10/10

Any post Obscured by Clouds Pink Floyd

>he doesn't want to put on his red shoes and dance the blues

gay

fuck you, OP, this is a fantastic album

Everything Memphis-Rap related.

Agree, Lets Dance is my most hated Bowie Song. But Modern Love and China Girl are great so its not all bad.

Let's Dance [EMI America, 1983]

Anyone who wants Dave's $17 million fling to flop doesn't understand how little good motives have to do with good rock and roll. Rodgers & Bowie are a rich combo in the ways that count as well as the ways that don't, and this stays up throughout, though it's perfunctory professional surface does make one wonder whether Bowie-the-thespian really cares much about pop music these days. "Modern Love" is the only interesting new song, the remakes are pleasantly pointless, and rarely has such a lithe rhythm player been harnessed to such a flat groove. Which don't mean the world won't dance to it. B

>using blues-rock guitar against a dance format.
Isn't that exactly what the Stones' Miss You is?

>A pop star sold out by making a pop album
top kek children actually think this way

Yeah I think he had this album figured out pretty good.

A lot of 70s artists churned out lazy pop music during the 80s to try and stay relevant, especially most prog bands.

>Sold out
>Their most challenging album
And what's wrong with humor in music? Not to mention that they're competent musicians on top of that.