Hey /b

Hey /b
I'm thinking about starting martial arts, so which type would give me the highest advantage in a street fight? Also post experiences you had

Pic related

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wbOiiQpQRhw
youtube.com/watch?v=V8wxwqtRgSk
youtube.com/watch?v=0_POoeIds50
youtu.be/Gm0SyEqc7ns
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

BJJ and Boxing.

youtube.com/watch?v=wbOiiQpQRhw

Starts after he talks about firearms, about 1:10s

Boxing is the easiest martial art you can pick up. It is really fun and it doesn't hurt to learn how to punch so go with that

krav maga

chav style
youtube.com/watch?v=V8wxwqtRgSk

Wrestling in a street fight is not very practical in many situations. I'd personally just say boxing.

This
Start with boxing and then get some Sambo

I would say muay thai for the workout.

In a streetfight, it could work cause no one clinches or uses knees.

Like the jew user said, krav maga is pretty good, but mostly defensive.

Jeet kun do and wrestling. Kicked the shit out of someone with my right hand broke. Took him to the ground and he didnt stand a chance.

>I have studied martial arts most of my life and if you are going to pick one style, aside from just being a good all around wrestler, I would say Wing Chun is the best. A big reason that it is so effective is because it is the only martial art that is designed to allow a smaller person to defeat a larger one. Most other arts teach everything as if it is a one size fits all world but most of their techniques only work if your opponent is your size or smaller than you.

youtube.com/watch?v=0_POoeIds50

Combat sambo at that, which also gives you some good punching and kicking techniques

>Only reason I didn't say Jeet Kun Do is because it is pretty much impossible to find a legit Jeet Kun Do school anymore. Jeet Kun Do is based on Wing Chun though. Just buy Bruce Lee's books and you can teach yourself. I have put drunk guys flat on their backs with a single stright punch using what I learned from Bruce Lee's Tao of Jeet Kun Do book.

Street fighting in almost every situation isn't practical. He asked for the martial art that would give him the highest advantage in a street fight. That's BJJ, hands down.

Boxing isn't a martial art, but extremely valuable as a self-defense tool. The problem starts when the fight goes to the ground, which is something that happens often. If the boxer is on his back, he has no idea what to do. BJJ solves this dilemma.

I'd say kung fu if you are able to learn somewhere that isn't a fucking mcdojo

do whatever you want, but dont even think about karate man
no one shoud take karate serious

So is his book a guide to learn jeet kune do? I looked it up and wikipedia said its kinda like a philosophy book

Sure you did. LOL

BJJ is hands down the best form for sport fights but in a street fight there are a lot of things to consider. If someone else decides to step in you are fucked, if he is armed you are fucked; with a striking style you can keep your distance and make a run for it if you have to chance.
And don't take me wrong, I know bjj is very effective but I'm talking here about practicality and learning(first) how to take someone out with a few punches sure sounds more practical than rolling on the floor probably over some rocks and pieces of glass and offering your ass to any other likely attackers.

Been at it for more than 5 years. I'd suggest mixing up combat Sambo with better self-defense techniques.
If you're fighting in the streets, Sambo will make you king, but in the ring, a professional fighter can handle it

BJJ is not great for the "street". on the street, ppl have knives, and friends to kick your head in. - it's fine for unarmed 1-on-1 matches, with rules, like no biting, eye gouging, etc. but even then, one would be at a disadvantage without striking skills. - if you do BJJ, try an experiment, where you hide a marker in your gi, and next time you roll, pull it out, and start drawing shit all over your opponent. - see if you can "cut" his jugular, femoral artery, tendons, ligaments. - i don't fight for fun or machismo, i will always first try to avoid conflict, but if i cannot, i always have a knife and a gun. - too old for school yard shit.

this!

assume you're russian? - unfortunately it's not taught everywhere. often ppl are limited to what is available near them.

>if someone else decides to step in you are fucked
Probably fucked regardless of your training
>if he is armed you are fucked
Probably fucked regardless of your training
>striking style you can keep your distance
You're within an arms length, hardly keeping distance.

The best self-defense is getting the fuck out of the situation. I'm not saying pull guard once you start the fight but honestly, most fights hit the ground eventually. Most BJJ guys are 2 arm lengths away or clinching you. They will not stay in striking distance for long. When they clinch, they go for a take down. If they get an untrained person on the ground, that person is fucked.

I just see a lot of people mentioning a lot of shit (Krav, jeet kune do, karate, whatever else) that will end up giving them a false sense of security. I feel you and I see where you're coming from. Just one martial art or striking sport isn't enough.

Arnis; Kali; Eskrima

You're just expanding on my point there.

>BJJ is not great for the "street"
Correct. Getting away or pulling a firearm is great for it. But, again, I'm just answering OP's question: What martial art would give him the advantage in a street fight. Clearly, he isn't concerning himself with the possibility of friends jumping in, weapons, etc.

>Probably fucked regardless of your training

Stopped reading after this. You know nothing about survivability and martial arts

If you're average size or bigger, then anything that teaches you to keep your feet, give and take blows and gives you a workout is good. If you're small, then you want to learn something that will make you more effective despite your size. Something that teaches you how to use knees and elbows.

For advantage in a street fight you need a practical striking style and a grappling style.

Striking is to teach you how to block, throwing a punch, spacing/awareness and movement. Boxing, MT and WC schools are easy to find and cover this.

The grappling is to cover the eventual ground and upclose area that usually occur in a street fight. It not about focusing on a particular clinch/throw/break but knowing something to do in that situation and being comfortable when there.
Judo, BJJ and wrestling schools are easy to find.

Street fights are sloppy and unpredictable. Being able to throw a solid punch Or countering a wide swing with a throw are what you need to learn along with the experience to stay calm.

>Probably fucked regardless of your training
100% fucked if you only know a wrestling style. With striking you are still at a huge disadvantage for sure but you can still have a chance
>You're within an arm length, hardly keeping your distance
Still more of a distance than hugging you opponent and being on your feet makes it much easier to get away if you can than being on your back
Plus I said you should learn how to strike >(first)<
You can't really call yourself a complete fighter if you only know one or the other.
>false sense of security
Literally any form of fighting can give you that, this includes bjj

If you think that someone with a few years of some martial art or boxing can 100% defend themselves vs multiple attackers, you're a complete water head.

weapons, especially improved ones are good to know

Been fighting all my life. All these mcdojo fags saying grappling arts aren't effective on the street are fucking liars. I've been in nearly a dozen street fights and all but two ended up on the ground. Do yourself a favor and sign up at a local MMA gym that has competitive fighters. Too many traditional martial arts schools are just mcdojos, and at an MMA school you'll get a good blend of boxing, Muay Thai, wrestling and BJJ. Some places even throw in some karate and judo, the least worthless of the eastern martial arts that fill in some niches well. You'll be good to go wherever the fight goes, whatever situation you're in. Don't listen to the Bruce Lee fags OP do yourself a favor

This guy fucking knows.
I'm this guy btw:

Boxing and kick boxing are essential. Jiu Jitzu (not brazilian) for armed opponents.

If it is a street fight you will die if you try to grapple. You need to be able to disarm weapons and strike at full length to stay defensive and mobile.

Your mind seems to be too geared towards sport fighting.
Friends jumping in and weapons are all possibilities of street fights and real life situations so we should be advising him on that as well.

Basically the same art nowadays, not bad to study if you EDC a knife and/or collapsible baton

>Boxing isn't a martial art
Look at this fucking moron.

Lol mcdojo fags everywhere in this thread. Fuckin weaboos

Sure you did buddy.
Anyways, nobody here said grappling isn't effective, we are saying that it shouldn't be the only style you focus on.

>grapple unruly opponent
>winning
>guy walks up behind you and stomps your skull into the ground

Yeah grappling in a street fight sounds great.

>weaboos
So bjj fags then? that art is literally taken from a Japanese one

Your problem is you don't know what martial art means.

>various sports or skills, mainly of Japanese origin, that originated as forms of self-defense or attack

American boxing is a martial art that focuses on striking with the fists. If you can't strike effectively you are just a guy flinging his arms around.

lol so you don't think years of training can prepare you against 2-3 untrained faggots? You have literally no idea what you're talking about.

>least worthless of eastern martial arts
Literally every style you mentioned has an easter background, Muay Thai is straight up easter.

Holy shit you are too stupid to be in this thread fuck off.

BJJ and Muay Thai. One of the better combos imho

BJJ is great but unless you can be sure you are only fighting one person you should NEVER go to the ground.

BJJ and traditional Jiu Jitsu differ drastically. Mainly BJJ focuses on the ground grapple while Jiu Jitzu's grapples are often throws.

eastern*

>BJJ master
>Trained for 3 months
>Some loudmouth at the bar getting rough
>Time to be a hero
>Grapple him to the floor
>He pulls out a knife and stabs me repeatedly in the sides
>His buddy stomps on my neck
>Die

At least I was hardcore though rite?

Honestly Wrestling to defend takedowns and Boxing because all fights start on the feet

>Jiu Jitzu's grapples are often throws

and chokes and holds

Someone with common sense and knowing how to throw a punch can defend themselves against multiple people, assuming those people aren't as skilled. Stamina and confidence also go a long ways, if you think for a second "oh fuck, there's too many people, what do I do?!?!?!" you're fucked. Go at it and show them you couldn't give less of a shit that there are a few guys, more guys usually means they don't know how to fight.

Quantity =/= quantity.

Coming from someone who was jumped by 12 guys and taken 10+ years of TaeKwonDo (yeah yeah it's more of a sport), it isn't difficult at all to defend yourself against groups of people if you have good stamina and don't allow anyone behind you.

I've got to agree there. MMA has proven that you need to be capable at all levels. I've bounced at bars for the last six years as well, I will say that while boxing is what benefitted me most in the street (especially against multiple opponents) wrestling was most effective at the bar. Being able to lock up and control a troublemaker without destroying him is super useful in that setting

I took up the martial art of firearm kwan do about a year ago, no one fucks with me. Martial arts do don't shit against large groups and people who are armed. Have the ultimate defense and stop waisting time in a gym. Get a physical job of you wanna stay fit. I'm a mechanic, never have to work out.

OP here
I guess im gonna go with boxing, pretty much all the time i was involved in a conflict the other party had multiple friends, so i guess being on the ground bjj-style wouldnt really turn out pretty.
But what about punching? I heard that you can hurt yourself really bad if you punche bare-knuckled, are strikes with the palm actually better?

Definitely mixed martial arts.
Try all martial arts, see if they would be practical irl by testing them.

Look for the ones that have the most efficient movement routes (if a move takes 32 milliseconds because you have to spin, instead of 2 milliseconds. Then choose the 2 millisecond option). Also look for the ones that require the least amount of time to disarm or cripple your foe, so that in an emergency you can have an opening to escape should they corner you. Remember: the goal of martial arts is to temporarily cripple someone or disarm them in extreme situations.

School shooters for example. If you hear gun shots down the hall you see if the path is clear. If it is not clear, then you hide around the corner of a door with an object so that if the shooter should come through you can bludgeon them on the head and disarm them. Once they are disarmed and restrained, you take their gun from them and escape.

The lesson to learn is that the goal of a conflict is to resolve it as soon as possible and get on with your life, only using it in situations where there are no other options. Not to look cool, but to survive.

(pic is test. Yes i am a fur fag, yes i like anime too. no i am not a furry, nor am i a weeaboo. I am stupid, but i'm not retarded.

>Wrestling and boxing
>Eastern
God damn the weaboo autism runs deep in this thread.

Extended grappling is a street fight is stupid. It also gives the perception that you are the bad guy which invites outside interference.

A toss, knee to the plexus or groin or even an elbow to the chin or temple are quick to gain advantage.

Dealing with multiple attackers is usually never covered in martial arts schools. Self defense/urban combat schools cover this and it takes a long time to get to the point where you can be effective in the situation. Weapons are the same way.

Bruce Lee was the "original" MMA fighter and JKD is a mindset. Do not go to a school for JKD without first learning how to fight and fighting for a while. However it will teach you about concepts like the flow of a fight, how to react and respond to an opponent with a focus on counter/preemptive striking.

>>best is the get a gun
>>offensive arts are inferior
>>to defensive arts
>>krav maga for life

Open palm is useful but if youre not trained to use them just go with a fist, its more natural

There is a huge overlap. The main distinction between the two is that JJ has a good deal of throws and disarms while BJJ focuses on the ground grapples.

Obviously this is an oversimplification because both schools are full disciplines but it helps with differentiation

This is a good call bro. Boxing will teach you to hit fast and with power while staying light on your feet. If and when you pick up a second martial art choose wrestling so you can stay on your feet if they grapple

Listen to Bas

youtu.be/Gm0SyEqc7ns

MMA training is the most practical. There is no argument to this, it just is.

Source required when stating opinions as facts

>I know nothing on history of martial arts
Go sit on a corner and shut the fuck up

That's all well and good. But where was the grapple in that?

Over half this thread are fat american MMA fans that see their favorite totally not gay sweaty man grapple the bad sweaty totally not gay guy so they think BJJ is the beginning and end of all martial arts.

Because it's an obvious point dipshit he's saying that learning to fight at all ranges with all tools at your disposal is the best way to go

I mean sure, since "MMA" encompasses literally everything. Which combination of arts in particular are you referring to?

Lol oh do tell me how it all comes from some monk from India who later went to the Shaolin temple that's so interesting user

It doesnt really matter. It can take years to get it to a functional level just pick ome that appeals to you and roll aith it

MMA means mixed martial arts. It isn't a single style. He was saying the most practical approach is to explore multiple styles because there isn't 1 perfect style.

It's been proven many times over the years that a fighter with more options to attack and defend with will win a fight against someone with less. Don't be a retard and think anime gook fu or krav maga faggotry will save you in a fight. Cardio and being physically strong is a much better option. MMA training provides with you more techniques that work in a street fight than any single martial art while also making you physically strong.

MMA doesn't train in multiple opponents or with weapons so has some major flaws in the street.

So much this never listen to weaboos when your life could be on the line someday

If you want to scrap with someone, muay thai and BJJ. If you want to fight for your life with maximum brutality, arm breaking, throat crushing, krav maga

It's not perfect by any means, no martial art is, but for getting the most bang for your buck an MMA gym can't be beat

You have never trained in a martial art or a fighting system in your life.

Practiced a blend of Kung Fu, BJJ, and straight up Jiu Jitsu for over 6 years. Would totally recomend practicing multiple styles, I also trained in only multiple attackers for some time. The tips I can offer for being on wrong end of 2 or more people is always take a hostage, never go in the middle, and never go to the ground. A good way to tell if you are getting scammed at a martial arts school is if you are ranking up very quickly and if you are a black belt in like 5 years then you are getting scammed.

Watch out guys this guy has his black belt in five animal Shaolin he knows what he talking about

If you're in a situation where there are multiple opponents with weapons than you refer to your cardio training which there is a great deal of in MMA training and you run. Do you think you're in a movie?

The problem with any bare knuckle fighting is that the face is pointy. The forehead is a natural helmet The chin is a spike and teeth are the fucking worst to hit head on.

You would want to aim for the throat, the side of the jaw, and the temples. With the proper setup these are easy targets. Practice makes perfect.

Dempsey era boxers focused on body shots for a reason. And your going to be street fighting. Do not pidgeon hole yourself into a style. Do not place rules on yourself for a fight.

Step on ankles, heel to the knee from the front or the side. Knock them down and kick/stop the head.

I actually have a black belt in BJJ under Cesar Gracie but ok. Whatever makes you feel better.

You do know the modern western world can't be said to be more than 500 years old right? and the indigenous population of the americas never developed a notable fighting styles.

Most martial arts come from the east which means everywhere that isn't north or south america.

You can't always run bro. Sometimes you have to stay and fight/defend yourself or someone who can't run with you? Surely you've considered this when arguing about street effectiveness.
No, not a movie, just seen enough to know that If you think you're fighting 1 on 1 you're gonna end up badly hurt.

Never said they all came from the east but the ones you mentioned do. There are depictions of boxing in paintings from Asia and the middle east centuries before the Greek even decided to pick it up. Do your research, nigger

lmao bjj in a street fight yeah right

Fucking LOL. You went right to the top hahaha Your ego is so big you awarded yourself a blackbelt in your own fantasies.

well i think you are serious about it.

I suggest you to train Ninjutsu (budo-taijutsu) on a Bujinkan school dojo. This is the only martial art left on the world, anything else are just sports

Dipshit Europe counts as the west too. Boxing and wrestling come from Greece. You know, that place they call the cradle of western civilization?

In 33 years I've never fought anyone outside of competition. Like where are you going that a scenario where you are attacked by bandits while traveling on foot with a crippled companion?

>krav maga won't help in a street fight
> Israeli special forces train in Krav Maga because it is great exercise

> Krav Maga specifically trains to deal with multiple opponents, how to defend and avoid knife and blunt weapon attacks krav maga has a huge emphasis on awareness anticipating potential threats and brutal strikes to end an encounter and escape regardless of the amount of attackers

> def not going to help in a street fight and I base all of this on an obvious complete lack of knowledge.

Mfw

sure but do you want to choose a fighting style based on a semantic technicality?

Fighting arts are fighting arts even if they were designed as sport.

Oh honey... Plz quit Kung fu

Any martial art can be great, and defeat any other martial art, some are just harder to learn than others.

Drunken boxing for instance, is great and effective, but its also a highly acrobatic style that is hard to get used to past an intermediate level.

Go with something simple and practical, once you can get that to a usable level move on to another style.

You are arguing a fantasy with a stranger on the Internet or a guy who has trained in BJJ for 16 years came into a martial arts thread on Sup Forums either way, makes no real difference, just relax.

Welcome to the 21st century. The west is the America's. The rest is east.

>Drunk guys
>flat on their backs with a single straight punch

Any moron can do that.

Jew trickery comes in many forms, stay vigilant.

>what are children
>what are old people
>what are family members
>what are drunk friends
You'll look real tough sprinting away and leaving someone behind. You awareness of fighting suggests you've never fought a day in your fucking life.