Just ranting here but how can anyone actually believe in God?

Just ranting here but how can anyone actually believe in God?

Because honestly God is such an illogical concept all together
How any rational adult/teenager with critical thinking skills can even possibly believe something so stupid and irrational is beyond me

Other urls found in this thread:

web.mnstate.edu/gracyk/courses/web publishing
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Faith

If you don't believe then why you give a fuck?
Go and do something else than talk about this stupid shit

It actually seems illogical to me to accept the world without God. There's a thought experiment that I believe came from the ancient Arabian world that deals with cause and effect. The conclusion that is drawn is that thete has to be a "prime mover", or an original cause to start the cause-effect chain. Even just on a philosophical level, God is the only reasonable answer to me. I'm also studying biology/biochemistry/anatomy right now, and I just can't imagine the incredibly long string of one-in-a-million chances that lead to a single cell, let alone a mammal. I just don't buy it. What about God seems illogical to you?

Pretty cringy to even care this much OP.

As a former reddit-tier hardcore atheist (now very agnostic), here is some of the most convincing evidence that there is some kind of benevolent force in the universe (call it god or whatever).

>you have a conscience
>beer (and weed) are proof that god exist and loves you (popular saying)
>the infinitesimally small chance laws of the physical universe be set up to allow life to form out of chance molecular combinations, randomly getting more complex to create modern cells
>the physical characteristics of earth are extremely good for life
>Trump beat Hillary

If you humor some of these ideas, it seems like the universe came together in a way that provides people with ways to enjoy your time, alive, on Earth.

Now the afterlife? I don't know how anyone could believe in that.

>I don't know how anyone could believe in that
Faith

Kill yourself if you're so faithful then you glorious, heavenbound faggot

You're just bad at seeing all the possibilities. Don't look at just the possibilities of God that you've been taught. Think outside the God box.

Edgy

It's easier to believe in an intelligent being that created a beautiful, organized Universe than to believe this Universe just popped into being for no reason. God makes more sense than a random Creation. In fact, a random Creation occurring sounds pretty stupid.

Thanks man. From a Sup Forumsrowsing user

Np fam

Paradigms son.
Now start questioning the one we live in.

But easier yet to believe that it is simply impossible to ever know, do your best to be a good person to others, and just leave it at that.

This

Religion was invented in a time when humans didn't have any concept of science. So, in an attempt to make heads or tails of the world around us, we came up with gods and goddesses, spirituality, and stuff like that. In fact it was perfectly logical back then. Religions established the foundation upon which society and order are built upon.
When the Enlightenment dawned on us, we began to see the world for what it really was, so fewer people practiced religion. However, some people still practice their religions today because it provides comfort. I mean, a benevolent God who punishes the wicked and rewards the righteous, who vows to protect you and gives you a place of pure bliss to go to when you die? Sounds a whole lot better than just nothing.
Christianity in particular has provided American society with a core set of morals too. You know, killing people is bad, rape is bad, stealing is bad, etc. In a way, religion is important even today, even though I personally don't practice it.

>How any rational adult/teenager with critical thinking skills can even possibly believe something so stupid and irrational is beyond me
WOW
ive never seen it from that angle before

But how do you explain that sopping anus snack?

If you are looking so hard to find God, maybe he already found you user.

About the afterlife, if you have smoked dmt, (the chemical in your brain that gets released at death), you would understand how ppl believe in an afterlife.

>How any rational adult/teenager with critical thinking skills can even possibly believe something so stupid and irrational is beyond me

That's because you don't really understand the concept. Not everything fits into nice, neat logical boxes.

This. Even when I grew out of needing a daddy in the sky, it was a hard habit to break. I'd been brainwashed into belief since I was little, and stuff like that tends to linger.

>He*
Sorry

Same, it really sticks with you. They do a good job of imprinting it into your brain

Dubs replying to dubs checked.

And I'm sure you don't believe ANYTHING that's illogical. Existence itself is illogical. Everything you see hear feel and experience is nothing more than electrical signals in you brain. If no one else existed to confirm your existence you'd have no actual proof of ANYTHING.

You must be a blast at holiday dinners with the family.

>Even when I grew out of needing a daddy in the sky, it was a hard habit to break.

Okay, here's a question for ya both. You say you don't "need" a daddy in the sky.

If one were available, though, would you -want- one?

random image bump

Maybe, but i know this "daddy in the sky"doesnt exist, so its irrelevant

Well, humans are naturally irrational creatures. A rational thought would be that an irrational being would/could hold irrational beliefs. And no one human is completely rational. Beliefs can be funny things.

Depends on the sky dad. If the stereotypical sky dad really did exist, I think I could even still go on to say "no". Give me mechanical sky daddy instead.

>it was a hard habit to break
Why did you try to break the habit user?
Example.
Faith: "I'm gonna have a great weekend"
Atheism: "nothings gonna happen, its gonna be shit"
Even if you're right, you don't gain anything, except a sense of being right, which you won't get to enjoy because as you would put it, you're dead. Nothing. Right?
Religion is an ideology.

>Trump beat Hillary

That's not the question. IF one were available, lets say it's the warm and fluffy god played by George Burns in "Oh God" just for fun, would you want to follow His teachings?

I'm honestly not sure. A lot of things were simpler when I could thank god or blame the devil, but it turns out the world just isn't that simple and most of the big questions can be answered now without recourse to the supernatural. Certainly enough of them, imo, to show that god is not a necessary prerequisite for the existence of the earth, or us on it.

I'm just grateful we get to experience life. Imagine that before we were born we were not existing. We get to live a little while. And then we won't exist again. It's nuts. I'd like to see space and what the universe is ultimately made up of. But I can and no living thing on eart will ever know.

I for one enjoy the thought of it being nothing. I get to enjoy that for as long as I am a something, and that is beautiful.

Oh look another edgelord atheist from libtard cesspool reddit

Zoroastrianism came before Christianity.

Alright well that's great.
I enjoy the thought of it being something else.

>don't believe in an afterlife

Energy cannot be created or destroyed just changed from one form to another.
We are energy.

Also some atheists tend to believe science is the be all end all. Which is like a type of religion. Science is just hypothesis of what everything is. Some of it "laws" which are true. But to assume science I'll accurate is asinine

Yeah, you're right. I can't make myself believe again though. To answer I suppose yes. My sister was diagnosed with leukemia last week and it would be nice to have someone to blame, and someone to ask for help. It just not real as far as I can tell.

Does pure energy into consciousness? Or does energy into matter into consciousness?

Okay, Imma lay some truth on ya'll that you probably haven't heard from other "Christians"

Forget all that Old Testament shit. That was a history lesson and a prophecy, that's all.

These are the Rules to live by if you wanna get into God's Grace.

1) Love God with all of your heart, mind, body and soul.

2) Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

3) Do these in Jesus' name

4) Profit

5) Tell people about it.

That's all there is to it.

No no, science is a method of discovery, not a body of thought. When people apply blind faith to science, they make it something else.

A religion.

in your way of putting it
its a morale boosting time waster

If there simply "has" to be a prime mover, then who moved or created the prime mover?

You're repeating St Thomas Aquinas arguments for god. After reading them, one can't help but wonder who he was trying to convince of the existence of god - was it himself or someone else?

web.mnstate.edu/gracyk/courses/web publishing /aquinasfiveways_argumentanalysis.htm

These are terrible arguments for the existence of god and do not withstand the slightest scrutiny

Why do these retard kids think they're profound and hyper intelligent for being an atheist and yet rattle on as though the Judeo-Christian deity is the only possible superhuman entity

>this Universe just popped into being for no reason.

Religion exists merely in the pursuit of teleology. All things do not have a reason for being.

This

In my study of the Bible, one theme is repeated over and over again. Faith is the power source.

Move mountains, heal the sick, raise the dead. All of it done by Faith. Jesus says it again and again, "Your Faith has done it" There was even one event when He didn't mean to use the power, but by a woman's faith, it was exercised anyway. She thought she would be healed if she just touched His robes. When she did, Jesus stopped and said, "Who touched me? I felt the power go out of me..."

In another story a General comes to Jesus seeking healing for a valued slave. Jesus is ready to go see the slave Himself, but the General says, "I am am man who gives commands and knows that they will be followed, if you say 'He will be healed' then I know he will be" Jesus is surprised at this man's faith and says to him "Your Faith has healed him this very moment."

So maybe you can muster a little for your sister? Couldn't hurt to ask, right?

No. If im a good enough person in general i dont need to follow santas rules.

I ca not fathom the idea that there is a greater consciousness than myself. As such , the idea of God is illogical.

The arrogance...

>So maybe you can muster a little for your sister?
Faith can't be manufactured, you should know that. Hope can be manufactured out of desperation and often is, but faith is something you either have or don't

God is not real, but there is always the possibility of a higher power, whether it be a god, gods, or some incomprehensible force that may point to the origin of this universe.

This.
Hope turns into Faith imo

Believing is seeing? I'm not even slightly convinced. And if I'm wrong and a god does exist, and I chose ( or happened to be born into) the right way of communicating with it, I think a being would prefer honest disbelief based on the evidence to a selfish, disingenuous belief.

Lmao are you retarded? Strawman to the max

You're saying that if you had absolute proof that such a being existed, you'd decide NOT to do what it says? Even knowing the eternal consequences? That's so far past edgy and just plain retarded

*a being like that

Effort counts. Believe me.

No fuckwit nothing creates the prime mover that's why it is prime. You're too stupid to play with abstract thought so just leave it to people without FAS

>God is not real, but there is always the possibility of a higher power, whether it be a god
Kek.
>there is no God
>there's a possibility of a God

>Believe me
Have faith you mean..?
Checked.

I think he was differentiating between God and god, which is something more people actually need to learn

I simply believe in god. I wholeheartedly think that god is beyond human comprehension, and to think we're smart enough to claim its illogical for him to exist is... well, dumb. And extremely arrogant. If you haven't had an experience with God, and if you haven't felt His guidance during your life, no one can convince you that he does exist. Simply because we haven't found a way to prove him on a scientific, logical level that many of my peers would need to believe. It's just one of those things you have to discover for yourself to begin understanding it. Have an open mind and you will see his will.

They do and as long as you're not retarded you can conclude god has to exist even if that has no practical meaning

There is an interesting argument in the Book of Romans about this. What of the people who never heard of Jesus? Who never had The Law, as it was called then.

According to Paul, these people who never were given the Law (OT Law) yet followed it naturally (Weren't shitty to each other among other things) were a Law unto themselves.

The people in danger, according to Paul, were the people who KNEW BETTER, and were shitty people anyway.

There's a possibility that your mom had sex with a goat. Do you believe your mom has sex with goats?

>What is so illogical about a higher dimensional being?
>What is so illogical about our energy being transferred into something else?
>What is so illogical about the parts of our brains that are independent of anyone's control but our own existing outside of death?

Do you have any sort of argument or are you just back from reading /r/atheism?

You mean the capital letter? Yeah, I noticed the difference fam.

Let's say I also didn't do what the being says, even if there was incontrovertible proof that it existed. Why not? I could just not do what it says, and live, then die, then burn in hell, and that's it. Honestly, that's a waste of being if every single one of us did exactly what it said to do.

Come on. Living, breathing, thinking agents. Just flapping around and narrowly avoiding death. You wouldn't even mess around, just once?

Just once?

Just that one time?

Really?

Nothing creates the prime mover thats why its prime you dipshit. If something created it then the creator would be the prime mover. Thats why it has to be supernatural=god.

If you don't believe in a god. Then why does it matter?

She's not muslim, so no.

Well, for most is because they are scared of whats gonna happen when they die or that someone will always love them. I believe in God because it's a beautiful thought to think we are all predestined to a life and some things are just too perfect to be a coincidence. Yes there are times where I become skeptical, but I'm sure everyone has been there. Just do what you do and remember that the bible is a book of morals and life lessons, and the more pushed opinions on lifestyle (such as masturbation is a sin, all other religions are inferior, etc..) are all subjective to the members of that particular sect.

Lol why would our consciousness exist when our brains are destroyed? Just lol at our "energy" being transfered.
There might be a higher dimensional being, but there's no evidence for one, so I don't believe in it

I'm right here guys, why do you have to argue about my existence?

You do realise that what you're saying here is the exact thing the church teaches lmao, the whole point of an "absent" deity is to promote free will rather than have a world of automatons - Biblically speaking, that's what the angels are

As was said earlier, Faith begins with Hope. Just the act of genuinely asking God for help is an act of Faith.

As is said here , Sometimes believing IS seeing. Is it Logical? Nope. If it were it wouldn't be Faith, it would be knowledge. Faith is the power source, I'm convinced of this from my studies. Even a little, less than a mustard seed, will help.

Tell me your sister's first name, nothing more, and I will say a prayer for her, for you.

>such as masturbation is a sin
This reminds me of something, atheists mention the:
>no pork
>no wank
>no seafood
But it maybe was said so we might feel slightly guilty about wanking and eating bacon/lobster 24/7, to stop us doing it so often.

>As was said earlier, Faith begins with Hope
Actually I said the complete opposite, you then quoted me and said "I agree, but-" and then missed the point fantastically

I don't think that means what you think it means kiddo. Fact is stating with absolute certainty that it's not possible for a being that you don't understand to exist is arrogant.

Here is the god delusion manifest and the answer to OPs question

Okay, so, what's retarded and edgy about not doing what the being says, then? What's wrong? That's what the churches teach, right?

I don't get it. Let me be a free actor- I'm up front about it. I know what I did. I'll pay for it. But, don't deny me the ability to do wrong. That's the "free will" schtick, and it makes more sense to conclude that being the rigid automaton is more retarded. Probably even more edgy, what with compelling others with the powers that be.

Cool pic please upload any other transparent images you have if you feel like it. Using that one as a discord emoji.

I was referring to And checked...

Slightly guilty? You'll literally burn in hell for all eternity for it

>remember that the bible is a book of morals
Not read the old testament then? I'm much more moral than the bible, and I don't need the threat of punishment or promise of reward to make me that way.

Take it easy pal I think he just got the words in the wrong order

Well one could make the point that the energy we are would only be reconstituted into the ground/flora/fauna/dirt/worms when we are buried, or into the air if we are cremated.

^ above conjecture validates a very, very crude idea of an afterlife/reincarnation. But usually when people think of afterlife/reincarnation, they think of a constant (a soul) that is maintained both in this life and the afterlife. Which is kinda hard to prove.

Yes, that would be some of the 7 deadly sins. Gluttony and greed. Moderation is key to a nice lifestyle

Your morality is the result of thousands of years of living in a cultured and religious society.

Kek, don't take it as strict rules, just loose guidelines maybe. And btw you think you're the first group of smartasses that troll? Im pretty sure some people shitposted into the bible, their is a lot of strange/random story's in it, but many good lessons and ways to go about life

Ugh, time is doing terrible things to me....

Fun chat, fellas. Check out Romans, starting about Chapter 7. Great argument for God.