Just turned 18 a few days ago. Any advice about life? Lets be serious here

just turned 18 a few days ago. Any advice about life? Lets be serious here...

> going to college to be a chemical engineer
>trying to find a job

stop coming to Sup Forums if it hasn't already it will suck you into a place you dont want to be

College is a trap designed to get you stuck in debt.

I turned 18 in March and graduating at the end of October and honestly I'm gonna take a gap year and travel.

im thinking about going to the military reserves to help pay for college

Have a feeling we will see Op in one of the 'things you shouldn't post' threads real soon

they say travel when you're young but how do you do that? My parents probably wont allow that shit to happen

IIt's never too early to start investing your money and saving as much as life allows. One day you'll need that cash and it'll come in handy to have.

Save up money while you're living with your parents

ive been doing that for years

>College advice
Treat college like it's a full-time job. For every hour of class, expect two hours of homework and lab.

>Life advice
Everybody loves the sound of their own name. Make a conscious effort to learn and remember names of people you meet.

>Sex advice
???

Take knowledge over $$$

Don't get into credit cards, they catch up eventually

Realize you are just a few days old in your adventure of the real world, so be accepting of change of perspective.

Don't make 5 year plans because your priorities will change half way through it.

Wear a rubber, don't have accidental children.

Don't get hooked on drugs, or gambling

Love those around you because they might not always be there.

And trust your instincts.

Real advice, I am 33 married and have my first kid on the way and life is fucking amazing. I didnt go to college because I came from a poor family and it just wasnt a option. Joined the Army did 8 yrs. Got out and went into Helmets to hardhats and became a union carpenter. Took my carpentry skills and started creating custom arcade cabinets. Now I work from home and build and play arcades for a living. Last year i made about 150k, wife is a RN and made 90k. So moral of the story is join the fucking military and take advantage of everything they give you, even if its only for 3 years, Thos 3 years will give your life a real chance and not just chasing your dreams while your student loans chase you.

gtfo newfag

make me

as someone in their mid 20s, here are tips I have learned

>spend no time worrying about what others are doing. social media will subconsiously spam you with bullshit and often people will compare themselves to your friends' fake personas they are trying to advertise.
>babies, buying houses, fuck all of that. you need to travel, start your professional career, and experience bucket list items if possible at a young age
>your well rounded more experienced person will dominate those fools getting married directly after high school
>save ur money at home. make sure you put it into a high yield savings, and highly consider inputting some of that into a roth ira when you have built up enough cash.
>learn how to budget if you need to
>travel to other countries. europe if youre an amerifag
>concentrate on your studies, regardless of how trash the whole college system is, get that fucking bachelors, nigger.
>progress in your career at a fast rate.
>if youre at your current job for any more than 2 years at your age, and you havent been getting 5% raises every year. SHOP.
>dont get tied down to a single relationship unless you are 100% benefitting from it and it is allowing you to do the things you want to do such as travel
>did i mention travel?

all i can think of off the top of my head so far.

Don't go into the pharmaceutical industry unless you like New Jersey. Have you been to Scotch Plains? You can't even buy a comic book without being carded. I'm 36. Why am I being carded for a comic book?

Fuck. New Jersey culture.

36 and buys comics, yet its jersey thats fucked

Not op but other graduate don't come on here much. I have 11k saved, investments that are doing well and retail job I have been working at for 2 years a six months.
What should I do with savings? Travel like said? I like saving money it's fun and all want to have 20,000 by the time I am 20.

Have you read Alan Moores Province? You're going to judge something you haven't read?

Providence. Autocorrect

dont go to for profit schools and dont take out student loans. Community college is a good choice.

im going to a community college for 2 years then will transfer to a university for the last 2 years

Go to the dentist at least one a year.

Assume that everyone that enters your life will leave it

I'm not saying don't love

But you should love yourself cause if you have a strong foundation no one can nock down the house

underrated

>you cannot, and SHOULD NOT trust everyone; even if it's their job to help you, don't expect them to
>those 'friends' you had in high school will likely be out of your life in 10 years, as will most of your family *unless* you are of some use to them
>major STEM
>in the real world, no one really gives a fuck if you're gay except religious/right-wing fanatics
>if you can't be somewhere on-time, don't even bother showing up
>don't fuck with credit cards
>marriage is a sham institution created to benefit women and society
can't really think of much else

Kill yourself

Op I concur with military option, got me a degree but don't use it. I love what I do in the military and have seen the world twice over in my 16 year career. Tried the big business animal pharma career, it fucking blows harder than Jodi on your girl while you're in training. If you want a fam then wait til you are out of debt with more than plenty in reserve. Don't get caught up in the mil life if you aren't a lifer. Don't get caught up in all the shit you see on soc media either if you don't want to struggle. Never measure yourself against a ruler that has been scaled by anons that have nothing to contribute to your life. Surround yourself with a core of good peeps, they become harder to find the later in life. Never be afraid to accept a challenge because you will never achieve anything without adversity in life. Never accept what anyone tells you for what it's worth. Always have knowledge on your side. My big bro taught me something early on in life, speak softly but carry a huge fucking stick. There's a reason that people succeed and sail in life, and that is never giving into those around you. Take advantage of what they can offer and parlay that into something beneficial to you. If you can bring up those you have chosen to be around you because they were there before you made it and will be there after, if you chose wisely to surround yourself with good peeps. Never forget that you have an obligation to make your community better than you found it, trust me this is a big one. If you walk out of the tunnel thinking you have made it, you haven't there is always another hurdle in life ready to put you back in place. Walk humbly because you never know when you will need the help of anyone else. You will make it just don't forget where you came from, it may take a while but life will constantly change and that change will make you who you want to be or some shitbag that no one likes. Take every opportunity to look at what you have accomplished and give thanks.

>don't fuck with credit cards
THis is the most retarded shit I've ever heard. Credit cards are extremely useful and 100% worth it IF AND ONLY IF you can be responsible with it. Anyone who tells you not to bother with one is irresponsible with money and should not be trusted.

I think by "don't fuck with them" he meant don't be irresponsible with them.

I think.

>>if you can't be somewhere on-time, don't even bother showing up
nah. I'm late to everything because my mind is fucked for time. just have the decency to be apologetic, and not one of the dimwits that blames everything they can think of

> >marriage is a sham institution created to benefit women and society
I mean, true, but it also benefits your kids. I regret marrying the woman I did, but not getting married. I was going to be supporting the kids either way.

I agree with all of them except the credit card thing.

Build credit discipline; don't just write them off completely.

Get a card with benefits you'll utilize. Build credit. It's important for your personal success if you care about the capitalist landmark of property ownership.

Hell, have a credit card and just let it sit in your wallet for the simple fact that a rental car will be two times the cost (at least in the US) when using a debt card due to the requirement of a security deposit.

Another person in this thread said "don't get into credit cards" so I can only assume that this is advice the youngsters are passing around. You should get a credit card, and you should use it responsibly. Don't spend more than you have without a REALLY FUCKING GOOD reason. Always pay the entire debt off every month unless you have a good fucking reason. Keep track of every cent you spend so you can contest fraudulent charges if they ever come up. It'll build your credit which you need if you ever want to settle down. If you're not a tard, credit cards are great.

>I mean, true, but it also benefits your kids.

Research doesn't support this point of view. Companionship and partnered households are beneficial for raising kids; there isn't substantial proof that marriage is a part of that.

Gap year has been proven to increase GPA and reduce drop out rate

I mean whatsaid. Better go with Debit instead.

>bein' late
You've *got* to get that under control. You can lose a lot of opportunities (like jobs and such) for showing up late too many times, not to mention other important things.
>marriage
Also in 10 years, you'll notice so many of your former friends married and/or with kids. It'll be hilarious, unless you are also married and/or with kids.

Yeah, but what happens if your wallet gets stolen? You'd have to go through the arduous task of getting it frozen, then finding the perp, undoing whatever damage was done, etc. Unless you have a chain wallet like e, it's more of a hassle than it's worth.

All modern cards allow for deactivation of the card via phone app.

I'd be more worried about the ID and cash you just lost.

>Yeah, but what happens if your wallet gets stolen? You'd have to go through the arduous task of getting it frozen, then finding the perp, undoing whatever damage was done, etc. Unless you have a chain wallet like e, it's more of a hassle than it's worth.

"Why build credit when it's so tough to keep my wallet from being stolen?"

Well, I guess you're right.

If getting your wallet stolen is that frequent an occurrence you probably should get that in check first.

Once you figure out the zipper on your rubber pants and got that wallet thing handled, then maybe think about building credit.

South Jersey isn't as bad

Not a frequent occurrence for me...or one at all. Still, I don't know where OP is coming from/living, so it could be. Especially being under the age of 24 makes him more likely to be a victim of a crime like that.

honestly i REALLY need advice on:

traveling (step by step guide and some life changing experiences)

social (friends/dating)
where to meet new people and all that kind of stuff

money
im responsible so i wont fuck around with credit cards hell im might NOT get credit cards

honestly if you get a credit card and literally only buy, say, gas with it and you can build some credit its a good thing

Fair enough. I associate those things with married households because of the legal rights it generates to marry. I suppose many of those rights exist outside of marriage now ( via permanent partner language ) from rewording everything to support gays while the republicans were busy shitting on them.

Here, OP.

Only if you are poor, faggot

Don't get married! Please! It will seem great at first but they next thing you know, you can never do anything you wanna do. Your only space is a garage or shed. The house is always hers too decorate & shit. And all of your money will end up going towards dumb shit like pretty picture frames or tons of make-up that will never be worn. I wish u the best of luck

lol I'm getting married on friday. looking forward to it too.

Or you could choose not to be cucked and make her your slave, like in the old good times!

Doing this too. Wonder if that's a good move or not, but at least it will save me money.