Christopher Hitchens Was Shaky in His Atheism, New Book Suggests

nytimes.com/2016/05/14/us/christopher-hitchens-was-shaky-in-his-atheism-new-book-suggests.html?_r=0

What did they mean by this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=q4cPe_YS8i8
youtube.com/watch?v=lBgaEYV2BaY
youtube.com/watch?v=zxTJnjLkbk8
youtube.com/watch?v=E9TMwfkDwIY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

BUMP

That's what happens when your brother is Morality Man.

He was also probably getting sick of the proto-SJWs.

everybody who is doing atheism right is shaky in his atheism. you should easily be able to convert an atheist if you have demonstrable evidence.

>The Jews’ God (late in life, Mr. Hitchens learned his mother, and thus he, was Jewish)

I swear, this happens everytime.

Probably shit himself after the cancer diagnosis, like all atheists facing death.

Its the edgy ass new age atheist that are turning him off.

He's realizing they follow him, without reasoning, all because he has you tube videos of him doing debates and beating regular christians in debates. They don't even question what he says anymore, they just accept it.

He doesn't know how to be god to these people, and he's realizing that he can't be.

Well of course. That's the whole fucking point. If we had some proof of a higher being or God, even a real smidgen, then we would accept it. Atheists are only atheists because they can't find proof.

I'd consider that reaction to be entirely normal, regardless of faith (or lack thereof). Hoping for an afterlife/god isn't an indication that it exists.

Hitchens was a nihilist. He was a depressed alcoholic couldn't "Rationalize" his way out of drinking himself to death

he's dead bro

of course, he was a jew and a literal faggot

Wow how interesting!!! The media is telling us what dead REALLY thought!!

Why don't you go back and read what Hitchens wrote about the matter instead of some speculation in the jew york times?

not only atheists can't find proof.

what a pathetic liar
what a cunt, trying to make money with dead people

youtube.com/watch?v=q4cPe_YS8i8

thank god for that

>late in life, Mr. Hitchens learned his mother, and thus he, was Jewish
which is a lie, he knew that from an early age, he wrote this in one of his books... like "my mom is a jew, so i guess this makes me one too (despite the fact that he had 0 jewish influence, etc.) but i don't give a damn about that insane middle eastern desert cult"

and again:
youtube.com/watch?v=lBgaEYV2BaY from minute 8 on

converting people on their death bed to atheism whole crowd goes wild , we deserve islam and we deserve to get slaughtered by them

That's one of the stupidest thing ever written.

10/10.

Only retads would expect "proof", which is a concept used to deal with material things in a practical way, of something beyond the material.

Everyone should study hypothesis testing to really understand how meaningless "proof" is.

... hence why it's called "faith"

hey look, the vultures are at it again. did not expect anything better from god-botherers, but still ...

This is only news to people who think that atheism is actually a religion. Redneck inbred trailer trash autistic people that live in trailer parks think this.

Atheism itself is not a religion, although I do think that what atheism has become bears all the hallmarks of a religion. But things change, that's just the way things are.

Who wouldn't want to have a bit of Jesus in their life?

>that pic
>middle eastern pedophile takes little european boy out for a ''''''walk'''''''

KEK

Biggest butthurt post of the day goes to this leaf

Thank you for contributing to this board in such a thoughtful way, trailer trash christburger.

Atheism talks and walks like a religion. They just replaced the deity worship with the government. This is why atheists are mostly left leaning.

I would have been shaky too if I had been spanked as hard as he was in a debate with William Lane Craig.

>Redneck inbred trailer trash autistic people that live in trailer parks think this.
that was such a well thought out and insightful comment, maplenigger

i think you confused atheism with liberalism.

Why have faith?

He wasn't shaky in his belief at all.

According to Andrew Sullivan, who was a good friend of his, his last words were "Capitalism...downfall".

Atheists treat liberals as their flocks.

(checked)
Statheism is very much a thing though.
youtube.com/watch?v=zxTJnjLkbk8

Fear of the unknown and the slightest chance of spending an eternity in torment are enough to make most people shaky in their beliefs.

Larry Alex Taunton is basically the late Hitchens own analogous Lady Hope (Darwins fictional lady that converted Darwin on his deathbed).

Larry Alex Taunton is also a Christian, so obviously he hears what he want to hear. Lying for Christ isn't a sin after all. :^)

It's an assertion that says "this immaterial being is our intelligent creator and has power over everything"

If that being has power over everything (including matter) and is intelligent, communication with such a being should be achievable in a tangible, materialistic sense. We have not once witnessed a sound, force or intelligent response to efforts to communicate with a divine being/creator in all of human history. No hard evidence for any sort of "miracles" taking place ever.

>Evidence is retarded
>Make-believe is better

Wew lad

>man spends a significant portion of his career literally outright saying that he doesn't believe God exists and if he does, he's an asshole
>man who has a clear bias writes totally unfalsifiable claims about said man indicating he was in fact religious
>mfw people take this seriously

The problem is once you've consigned yourself ideologically to casting out the immaterial you eventually come to the point where you realize things like individuality, the concept of self, civilization, justice, mercy, and all sorts of things that you value are also immaterial, and you find yourself in a very sticky situation.

Which is why atheists get so butthurt when theists rightfully call then out for having no basis for their morality.

whenever a popular figure who is an atheist dies the Christians like to go "ohh he came around eventually".

Wait till Bill Nye and Dawkins die, they'll do it then too. Religion is a cancer.

If you're one of those atheists who claims to be moral clearly you believe "make-believe" is better too, and are in no position to cast stones.

You can have a basis for morality without authoritarian origin. As a species, not being complete assholes is beneficial and makes us feel good. No God needed to tell us such, it's already within us.
Haven't heard a single theist agree with this yet, but perhaps you'd like to be the first.
An implication is, however, that what's the use of the bible if we already got morality programmed in us?

It's not gonna get any better soon.

Likely bullshit. People say all manner of bullshit of people after they die.

>Only retads would expect "proof", which is a concept used to deal with material things in a practical way, of something beyond the material.

You've just set up something called an unfalsifiable claim. You've constructed your argument in such a way that there is no way to falsify it. What you've said doesn't mean anything, it's just a had wavy out of having to actually confront the conversation.

>Everyone should study hypothesis testing to really understand how meaningless "proof" is.

Also a non-argument, explain exactly how hypothesis testing makes proof meaningless. What is deficient about it?

The basis for an atheists morality is literally exactly the same as the basis for religious morality - culture.

>I base my morality upon my faith!
Which you only have via the society you were born in. If you lived in some godless society, do you really believe you'd be the sole inhabitant to spontaneously develop faith in god? No, you owe every last drop of your faith and hence your morality to your community, in the exact same manner as an atheist.

This argument is so flimsy it makes you seem retarded.
>If you can think of an abstract concept it exists
>I can think of God so he exists
>Therefore any fucking thing I can think of exists
>Proof? What proof?

When your bro is based Morality Man it's pretty hard to be Immoral

No he wasn't, they say there are no atheists in fox holes but Hitchens was in a fox hole and never once prayed, a very great loss. Would love to hear what he would be saying about ISIS.

Morality is a social construct derived from evolutionary factors conducive to optimal survival and procreation. There is no objective morality.

> The basis for an atheists morality is literally exactly the same as the basis for religious morality - culture.
And atheism destroys culture.

I don't remember making that argument....

>And atheism destroys culture.

This is some premium bait.

k bud

When you get close to death you can "see" the abyss. If you're near death long enough you start "seeing" other things. It's terrifying, and painful to see the abyss, but with gods there is no abyss and the pain from fear is gone.
You'll feel that pain too, one day. Hopefully you don't let your stubbornness keep you from finding your way.

>morality is a social construct
Exactly!
and we've all seen just how much respect "social constructs" get in modern atheistic society!

You implied that ideas like hope and justice are immaterial and exist so therefore an immaterial God should exist

As a species being a complete asshole is ALSO beneficial and also feels good.
Natural instinct shifts with the wind and is a poor basis for morality.

Yes, some people are pathetic cowards and will grasp on to literally any slight shred of hope no matter what utterly disgusting history and practice is attached to it, I agree completely.

>Natural instinct shifts with the wind and is a poor basis for morality.
Just like the pope.

This.

You look at the state of societies that have succumbed to atheism and honestly disagree?

I don't necessarily disagree with you there. I've considered going to church just to be around people who value community and instill proper values in women but ultimately it would be living a lie. Likewise it'd be hard to lie to anyone else's face about believing in God even if I felt it was in some ways for the greater good (and in others not).

>As a species being a complete asshole is ALSO beneficial and also feels good.
Sure, but how beneficial is it really in the long run to alienate yourself?

>Natural instinct shifts with the wind and is a poor basis for morality.
Give an example, I do not know what you're referring to.

HEH. HEH. HEH.

How's Europe doing?

Are you enjoying that Big Muslim Cock? :^)

I used to think that way too.
Pride is pointless when Death gets sick walking behind you. Maybe an intelligent atheist such as yourself would understand this.

>Natural instinct shifts with the wind

no. it doesn't. its pretty constant. thats why its called "instinct." and not "thought"

>no argument
>another tripfag

Reminder

youtube.com/watch?v=E9TMwfkDwIY

He is using logic to describe how humans cling to things to feel better about their own mortality, you are talking about how humans feel when death approaches. You both have good points.

>What did they mean by this?

It means he secretly believed, and that we're going to get to see Hitch again in Heaven.

>"you can't get an 'ought' from an atheistic 'is'" is no argument
L A M O
A
M
O

Explain sacred geometry and how god made everything then. I literally red pilled myself on religion by construction a long rational way for everything to work. A lot of people know about these things these days and not only the freemasons (sacred geometry).

But like there others have said here. Atheists will always ask "wheres the proof" unable to hear or comprehend how retarded that sounds.

Yeah, I figured that if Christians can endlessly insult atheists on here and claim, atheists are arrogant, I can give it right back to them.

Everyone is arrogant, Christians on here are just on an arrogant highhorse as usual.

No I did not.
I said that once you start throwing away ideas simply because they are immaterial and cannot be falsified you will inevitably find yourself in the situation where you must also throw away concepts like morality and the self if you wish to be consistent in your epistemology.

The same way you reject holding onto God because of "feels", you should reject holding onto other metaphysical concepts .

Just because something is difficult or impossible to refute doesn't mean it's right.

>You look at the state of societies that have succumbed to atheism and honestly disagree?

m8, my country is something like 70% atheist, and every single department store is still closed on Sundays, because of a bullshit cultural norm our country, and we still celebrate things that are part of our culture even though we are mostly non-religious.

So stop shitposting.

Yeah but Christians are right and atheists are wrong. I think that should be what you take away from this debate

Please point to the post where you proved god's existence.

Aren't you getting cucked by """"""""migrants"""""""", Norway?

I don't care what you think 2bh, keep your thoughts to yourself

>states that succumbed to atheism
lets see
Czech Republic
Estonia
Denmark

..nice places

>Countries that succumbed to theism

Saudi Arabia
India
Brazil

....ewww no thanks

Awww, he's still human after all.

>CDU is leading the charge in destroying europe
>christian democratic union
>bundespresident: priest
>cancelor: daughter of a priest
hurr durr atheism is bad
ha, no

>Aren't you getting cucked by """"""""migrants"""""""", Norway?

Nah, we have pic related.

Please give me a single "ought" you can derive from your hedonistic naturalistic "is"'s.
Also please point point to the post where you prove you're not a brain in a vat.

I'll. Wait~

you can't find that which doesn't exist

Leftists and christian cucks are trying to cuck us.

Your argument is that in recent times things havent turned bad enough to be said to be proof of a culture in decline? Christianity was an important part of our culture for 800 years. The jews corrupted that and VERY recently atheism had a surge. Literally our parents failed us. Nowadays we debate on how to change our society to a 3rd world multicultural shit hole. The fact that you dont see whats going on at this point Ola... it makes me sad.

That's not an answer to the question I posed.

I'll have to assume that you cannot speak English and I will thus terminate this conversation with you forthwith.

Cant believe i was an atheist at some point kek

what a faggot i was

The right brother died

>The jews corrupted that

I'm pretty sure I'm an atheist of my own personal volition m8, and not because of Jews.

Since you can't even prove your sensory experience corresponds to real objects, I feel no burden whatsoever to "prove" to you something I take as an axiomatic belief - sorry~
Now tell me more about oughts. Tell me moooore~

>namefag
>shitty image in place of argument
>pretentious
Yep, everything checks out.

>saw trip
>didnt read