It's just blues rock (majority of the album except some horn and vocal parts are strictly generic blues scale stuff)...

It's just blues rock (majority of the album except some horn and vocal parts are strictly generic blues scale stuff) with more erratic rhythms. Not the spectacular deconstruction of rock music everyone makes it out to be.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-FhhB9teHqU
youtube.com/watch?v=Od0_LRNlE5A
youtube.com/watch?v=7UjvdZm-Tu8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

and?

i hate anything blues related

It's not a genius album, just a fun one with a unique sound and humour

Do you only listen to classical, then?

avoiding rock music until 1976 is enough

It did more for rock music than people give it credit for, it basically showed that in rock music you can experiment

What came out in that year that changed rock music?

He invented so many genres in this album. Can you name them all?

the post punk revolution of 1977-1978

youtube.com/watch?v=-FhhB9teHqU

youtube.com/watch?v=Od0_LRNlE5A

True, although to be fair I think you're underestimating just how much of "the rock sound" comes from the rhythmic material, particularly back then. Sure it's nothing mindblowing in a world with Yowie and Orthrelm but it's remembered as an important musical landmark for a reason.

Fair enough, I'm not the biggest fan of the original sound of Rock music from the 60's, but I think there's still some great rock music that escapes the clichés before those years, mainly krautrock

oh yeah definitely, velvet underground are probably the best.
also some prog like soft machine's third and kind crimson's red is good.
but the stuff like doors/led zeppelin/hendrix is unlistenable for me, even television's marquee moon is problematic for me.

>I share my board with people like this

>problematic

Do you have an allergic reaction to blues-influenced music or something?

>omg i share a board with people that are not a carbon copy of myself, moooooom help me

Don't like Led Zeppelin either but The Doors are great imo, I guess that sound just isn't for you.
>I share my board with Elvis Presley fans

Elvis was fucking awesome in the 50's.

elvis was a swindle

who cares it fucking grooves

>who's The Mothers Of Invention
>who's The Shaggs
>who's The Beatles
>who's The Velvet Underground
>who's Pink Floyd
>who's Red Krayola
I'll tell you who they are: artists who already proved experimentation can be done before TMR came out. They all didn't stick to same old blues scale stuff either.
Math rock. That's it.
Marquee Moon isn't even that bluesy, and had several listeners surprised at its lack of blues influence at time of release. But maybe that's your point since it is still bit more bluesy than the really weird shit to come from post punk. Also Henry Cow wasn't about bluesy shit either.

>Red Krayola
My nigga

lol wtf not even scaruffi had the courage of saying a similar thing.
rock music was "experimenting" since at last 1966

>inb4 because he stole music from da negroes

youtube.com/watch?v=7UjvdZm-Tu8

Not him but he did, and that isn't the problem, the problem is that he made it worse, stripping it of what made R&B and Rock'N'Roll so great and watering it down to make it more accessible to teenage girls

1. Rock and Roll was already a multi-ethnic genre before Elvis ever entered a studio. Bill Haley's Crazy Man, Crazy was released in 1953 and saw chart success in the 1954.
2. That's only partially true, and only really true after Elvis had already left Sun Records and left his impact.

Rock 'n' roll barely existed before Elvis. There was the occasional song which could be classified as such, but it wasn't regarded as a genre. Rock in the first half of the 50's was like punk in the first half of the 70's. A lot of Elvis' stuff was watered-down, but songs like "Hound Dog" and "Jailhouse Rock" are some of the wildest of the time.

I can tell what kind of rock fan you are and that's because I'm somewhat similar. I found it quite easy to get into rock music like early Sonic Youth when I was 10, but I couldn't at all get into someone like Jimi Hendrix until I was around 17. It's still hard for me to get into blues-influenced 60s and 70s Hard Rock ("dadrock"), but I've been able to warm up to it a little now. I like Jimi Hendrix now, but I don't think I'll ever think he's THAT great. The same can be said for The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, The Doors, etc.

Also, I absolutely love Television's Marquee Moon, but I know what you mean. I still don't consider it perfect, because of the ever so slight blues-influenced guitar work. That's my only gripe with Marquee Moon.

You mentioned The Velvet Underground as being great and I'm just curious. Do you like The Velvet Underground's "Run, Run, Run"? It for sure has some Blues Rock influence. That one and "I'm Waiting For The Man" make me scratch my head as to why their self-titled is praised so much. They're not even close to the greatness of songs like "The Black Angel's Death Song".

Here. That's just wrong. I wouldn't call Elvis's stuff watered down but there were many songs that were wilder. Listen to Tutti Frutti again and tell me either of the songs you mentioned were some of the wildest of their day with a straight face.

I stand by my statement. Elvis only had a couple songs where he really let loose, but they're up there with Little Richard and the Johnny Burnette Trio and what have you.

t. own about 1000 CDs of 50's and early 60's rock 'n' roll

I still hold that they're nowhere near as wild as the ones you mentioned. Compared to Johnny Cash, sure, they were on fire, but they weren't as out there as others.