Suicide Squad: Studio Killkino

inquisitr.com/3418986/suicide-squad-flops-dc-warner-bros/

>Suicide Squad is a flop. As has become the pattern for DC and Warner Bros., global earnings are being used to cover the damage. According to Variety,Suicide Squad earned $58.7 million abroad, enough to top the foreign box office. At home, it pushed earnings to over $222.9 million — and suffered a 67 percent second-week slide.

>Although it will barely hold onto the top spot for a second week domestically,Suicide Squad is in trouble. By the same token, so is the entire DC Extended Universe. As Forbes writer Scott Mendelson notes, the movie continues a disturbing pattern of Warner Bros. movies failing to demonstrate strong legs — even when released against what should be much weaker films.

>Even as critics and non-DC fans come together to admit that Suicide Squad was a mess, DC apologists have united with their version of “kill the umpire!” between declarations of a massive cinema conspiracy and the desire to invalidate the millennia-old profession of critiquing the arts. In a way, DC’s dedicated fans and Warner Bros. have a point — as long as the fans are happy, then nothing else matters.

Everyone knows it was a flop, but how big of a flop?

By my calculations it's made $640 million, with a "projected" (bullshit) budget of $175 million. That means it had $465 million.

It almost definitely went massively over budget, so it's real budget was closer to $250 million, and we know reshoots basically made them remake the movie. So that's already at a LOSS of 35 million dollars. Add to that the marketing and the fact that studios only see half the BO anyway, and you've got this piece of shit sitting at a $650 million dollars in the red.

Plus they paid for a huge amount of toy tie ins, cds, clothes, and the interest for loans, and it's sitting at over a billion dollars LOST.

I honestly can't think of a bigger flop. This is honestly enough of a disaster that it's likely to kill DC completely.

Other urls found in this thread:

bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-09-01/hollywood-s-summertime-bombs-got-a-lot-more-disastrous-this-year
youtube.com/watch?v=Y14dDzGPFbs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Meme accounting thread.
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-09-01/hollywood-s-summertime-bombs-got-a-lot-more-disastrous-this-year

bump

>warner has half of the top 10

interesting

Jesus christ...this level of meme accounting...you faggots are insane.

That said its hilarious how this movie success exposed all of you as the retards you are.

>eclarations of a massive cinema conspiracy and the desire to invalidate the millennia-old profession of critiquing the arts
>trying to ridicule this idea while AT THE SAME TIME talking exactly like a salty shill

So Ghostbuster didn't bomb but SS did right?

Warner tends to release big tentpoles that do well enough and a bunch of smaller niche and art films that may hit big and don't cost much if they don't. Compared to Disney, who essentially operates on an "only blockbusters" model, where bombs can eat up on the profits of successful movies.

>Kubo flopped
;_;

>Disney has two of the biggest hits, but three of the biggest bombs
>Warner has 5 of the biggest hits, but 1 of the biggest bombs

>if a movie doesn't break every box office record it's a flop -Sup Forums

It probably made more for WB than BvS. Neither were flops. Underperformed, perhaps. Little doubt the made money with both films.

>Kubo
>Universal
>over 80M in losses
>production budget 60M
>marketing budget 0M

What kind of memery is this? That movie was gorgeous

geez I'm not a dc fan but this has to be the most retarded math I have ever seen, you know the biggest flops ever have lost 200 million and this movie is nowhere near that at most they lose like 50-80 million if that

>BvS

It underperformed because they expected the 1B magic number and because it hurt the brand, but it made mad cash an probable broke even by the second week

>“These calculations are seriously flawed,” the studio said in an e-mail. “The loss estimate for ‘Ghostbusters’ is wildly off the mark and does not factor in numerous revenue streams we are anticipating across the lifespan of the film.”

LOL Sony still in damage control. Muh toys and dvd sales!

...anyone going to point out the article is a month old?

How didn't independance day2 flop harder

>you'll never be this upset that GirlBusters got BTFO by Suicide Squad

Hahaha
Trump 2016

Yeah, Disney is having a good year with the two biggest movies crossing $1bil each. But they have some really costly mistakes. Warners is having a good year too, with their DC films doing well overall and their smaller stuff also doing well. They'll do even better in a couple of months after Fantastic Beasts releases. Tarzan, which was looking like a complete bomb prior to release, actually did reasonably for the company and won't be much of a loss and they may actually make some money out of it in the end. Universal is basically completely in the black only because of Secret Life of Pets this year.

>Marketing budget 0M.
That's not what all these TV commercials I see for it say.

Paramount on suicide watch

>make a movie about female ghosbusters
>market the living shit out of it to girls and minorities
>meh reactions from both
>it flops HARD baby

>based DC makes a movie about a half naked slut and Will Smith talking gangsta shit
>girls and minorities love it
>makes MAD bank

The good guys won guys

I think losses don't mean dick to Disney. A lot of these production budgets are to substudios they own part/all of. Like stealing from your own store. You're only really out the non-markup cost.

Maybe they'll make a decent Star Trek movie then.

More like make a decent mission impossible 6 and more shit transformers movies

>A lot of these production budgets are to substudios they own part/all of.
Same with Warners and any company really. Most studios are really good at shielding themselves from loss.

>MAD bank

Whoa. Settle down there, brother. While the OPs numbers are fucked, he's not wrong that it didn't make that much money. Reshoots and marketing add into the 175M.

It made money, but probably less than BvS.

>Paramount 2016
>Star Trek
>TMNT
>10 Cloverfield Lane
>Zoolander 2
>Ben Hur
>Jack Reacher

>dat paramount

Time for another Transformers flick bois!

they really are

Agreed.

I'd tentatively call it a commercial success, but its not a "blockbuster" or anything. Considering how negatively its been received by a lot of fans and critics its worth less as part of the brand as well.

All those flops and only clover and reacher Were/are gonna be hits

Reshoots are accounted in advance in the production budget, all big movies have reshoots after doing audience tests. Also if we're counting that we should take product placement deals and bluray sales too (BvS was the top seller for months)

Isn't it next year?

Reshoots are accounted for in production when it's done in production. Audience testing is done while principle photography is rolling.

If production wraps and they have to get everyone back and redo shit, it's more money. That's what happened with SS. Product placement is accounted for in production as well.

its ok
travis use to be a rapper

youtube.com/watch?v=Y14dDzGPFbs

>Considering how negatively its been received by a lot of fans
...not very?

>Kubo and Star Trek two of the biggest losers
>only fucking movies I thoroughly enjoyed this whole fucking summer

I don't get it. Both got raving reviews too. Is the public pants on head retarded?

>Is the public pants on head retarded?

Civil War is one of the highest grossing movies.

I'd say "yes."

I'm glad to see this movie was a success considering how everyone is saying not to see it.

They definitely sacked a couple dozen kikes at Paramount over Ben-Hur and Star Trek.

>Discounted toys that nobody wants
>Implying anyone wants to pick it up for home video aside from....Tumblr (?)

Disney has bigger problems with the coming demise of cable TV.

OH MY GOD, LOOK AT THOSE LOSSES.

LOOK AT THE TOP OF HIS BAR

It's not fair

Yeah, biggest disappointment to me. I don't give a fuck about mega blockbusters with inflated budgets failing but you could tell that movie had a shitload of talent put into it in the animation alone.

>Kubo flopped
>Star Trek Beyond flopped

Fuck this gay earth

I CAN'T STAND IT
I KNOW YOU PLANNED IT

It was pretty shit.

Disney makes most of the superhero money with merchandising.

That said, something like 50% of their profits come from ESPN.

to be fair the Ecto-Minis were pretty nice.

I have 15 of the sexy mannequin girls

>First trailer comes out
>Beastie Boys blaring for no reason, trailer cut to look like Fast & Furious in space
>Movie comes out
>It's the best Trek film since 1991 and the Beastie Boys part was genuinely well done

Seriously, fuck whoever was in charge of cutting that first trailer.

So no TMNT3? I actually had fun with TMNT2. It's a fun movie if you embrace how campy and over the top it right is from the main concept (still, the Nickelodeon show is miles better both in design and writing)

It's not even out until Friday where I live.

Doesn't matter, The father of the guy that runs Laika is a multi-billionaire thanks to Nike. Laika can make their movies labors of love without having to worry about making a profit.

Star Trek 2 was so bad no one wanted part 3

I'll probably watch it when it's on Netflix

I'm gonna sound like a shill but you're desperate at this point, OP

>dat Ben Hur

What the FUCK did they expect with that? Nobody wanted a remake of a classic like that. It's like trying to remake Gone With the Wind, 10 Commandments, or fucking Spartacus.

>yfw within the next 10 years Hollywood will have tried and failed to remake all of them.
They MIGHT succeed with Sparticus, but I doubt it.

That makes no sense though. Again, it got great reviews and apparently people really liked it since it exceeded it's budget by quite a bit in revenue.

Too late with Spartacus. The television adaptation is far better than anything they could produce and more fleshed out.

Don't get me wrong. They'll fucking try it but it's too late.

>they're not covered in cum

Oh and adding insult to injury they fucking release it first weeks of August. Right when everyone is planning for school and shit. That with nearly zero advertisement. Guess they saw what was coming and planned for taxes to cover the cost and maybe to make a buck off of it through Redbox/Netflix/Amazon.

a movie has to make back three times its cost to BREAK EVEN

this is because they dont get every cent you pay at the box office for a ticket, they get something like 40% of the North American box office and 2/3 of the Foreign box office, distribution and marketing, and other such things. Plus Hollywood accounting.

You're forgetting the fees they put out for distributing their movies on television and now the growing digital subscription market.

Even a dud like Ben Hur will eventually break even. It's just years down the line in it's case.

Only the biggest bombs of bombs get that distinction. Like M. Night's Last Airbender or The Lone Ranger. Shit you don't see anywhere because they're that bad.