How is it fair that a coin toss literally decides a game in overtime?

How is it fair that a coin toss literally decides a game in overtime?

>literally

Didn't they used to give the other team a set of 4 downs to try to reply?

Giving up 75 yards in under 2min doesn't decide the game? It's the Falcons fault they lost.

rules are rules bitch. cry more

Sore loser.

Has a coin toss EVER metaphorically won a game? or rather, has a coin toss NEVER LITERALLY won a game? shut the fuck up.

did you even watch the game?
Falcons gave away a fuckton of 1st downs in penalties,they only lasted that long because Brady couldnt throw a pass.
they blew it from the beginning.

All you Failcons had to do was run it twice and kick a field goal. But no, you decide to throw it three times and get a holding call. I've never seen a team want to win a game less than the Failcons tonight.

Coin flip my ass.

The Falcons fucked themselves by letting a touchdown happen in OT. It becomes sudden death rule (i.e. auto win) if the coin winner scores a touchdown.

Why are established rules both teams agree upon regardless of probability enforced?

haha wut?

If both teams were neck and neck the entire game, you would be upset too.

Sure, falcons threw the game and in a way deserved to lose the coin toss to boot, doesn't make it any less retarded though

Waaaaaaaaa bitch when it doesn't go your way pussy boy cuck

No, the old rules were the team that started with the ball only had to get a field goal. The "huge" (read: 1%) improvement they made was that they have to get a touchdown

don't watch handegg can someone explain to me the coin toss thing?

>Defense isn't half the game too

PROTIP: SPORTS are dumb

At least it's not as bad as penalty kicks in the world cup

In overtime they flip a coin to determine who has ball first. If the team that won the toss gets a touchdown before turning it over to the other team once then they auto-win.

yeah is kinda dumb, but whats even dumber is losing a 28-3 lead in 13 minutes.

Should have done that 2 points thingy until one team has 10 points.

Failcons deserves their loss, but that's still a semen slurping sport
>a coin

overtime isn't about guaranteeing a fair outcome. It's just about ending the game so they can air 24 as scheduled. Besides by the time you get to overtime, the defenses on both teams are pretty much shot. And you saw it in this game. So if they didn't make it sudden death, you'd end up with every OT going the full 15 minutes and honestly it's just not worth it.

but for all you know if the offense got it back they could have gotten 80+ yards in

thats what we're arguing is pretty stupid honestly. hopefully itll be changed to both teams get a shot at offense in the future rather than "we won cointoss we now have a 75% chance of winning :^)"

It's about defense and offense though not just one..

bring back the XFL scramble,so much better

I don't get why they don't just play out the "quarter" and who ever has more points at the end wins. Probably because NFL viewers have tiny attention spans and can't sit around the extra 15 minutes.

The coin didn't cause the Failcons to loose an eighteen point lead at the half. They did that themselves.

Why didn't they just have a fifth quarter or something?

Is the coin toss really the best way to end the most important game you guys play all year, just seemed strange as an outsider looking.

Every team should have an equal amount of possessions. There should be no sudden death, and touchdowns should not end the game. The only thing that should guarantee a loss is a safety since the kickoff team scored and gets possession.

>g-guys the coin toss is fair!

Get the fuck outta here faggots.
If the falcons had won the toss and then scored, everyone currently defending OT rules would bitch about them

That's fine for the playoffs.

Because both teams agreed to those rules

Because every play there's the risk of a career ending injury

Wouldn't be surprised if the rules get changed after this, we drawed a Grand Final a few years ago and we had a rule that dictated the game had to be replayed. Wouldn't be surprised if the rules for this changed aswell, it seems such a weird end to what was a great game.

There's a risk of getting an injury in every aspect of life, so what's your point. Tom Brady could step outside his front door tomorrow and get hit by a drunk driver. What should he do? not leave his house?

>Thinking the NFL wouldn't jump at the chance to pump out 30 more minutes of commercials .

>WAHH NOT FAIR

Don't wanna lose then don't get scored on lol

Well there's a difference between a 0.0001% chance and a 1% chance

a coin toss doesn't decide a game, you're supposed to win in regulation

ya know, especially when you're leading 21-3 at half time

Golden point is how the retards settle there sports games

28-3
it's even worse

Where are you getting these figures

google senpai

If it was a regular season game no one would care, but this was the SUPERB OWL. The other guys should at least get a their own chance to go back the other way, it' should irrelevant that failcons choked a way massive lead before heading into overtime, overtime should have at least a modicum of predictability and not have a large deciding factor in the result of a big game come down to the toss a coin. Surely the NFL could come up with a better way to finish a game, I'm not advocating for something dumb like penalties but surely there is another solution.

Honestly the best solution is my make it a skills competition. Like have each kicker make a 20 yard field goal, then a 25 yard field goal, then 30 etc.

Would make for a way more exciting finish since kicking is always the most exciting part of a game I think.

I think 4 minutes each way would be best, penalties and the like can be just as much of a dumb meme as a coin toss. Yuroballers will defend it aswell.

CFL uses a shoot out. Basically start at a 35, and go to try to score, all other rules the same. other team has to match or surpass. and so on until there's a winner.

Makes sure a team can with with both its offense and its defense. (have to score points to win it, but your defense can intercept to stop the other teams play).

at least they improved it.

just needing to get a field goal is retarded.

This is way better

Yeah that's how it is in college too. People are retarded and argue "but muh football stats" when all they have to do is count those tds as a sort of 2 pt conversion stat

>Failcons think they would have had a chance if they got the ball instead
>Implying their offense was even able to score in the 4th quarter

atleast they still play american football to decide the game, unlike wogball with penalties

Irrelevant
The OT started and the game was 28-28, or 0-0

>game wouldnt have even needed overtime if gostkowski made the first PAT

>two 10 minute halves, each with a kickoff
>no sudden death
>two timeouts and one additional challenge per team
>challenges roll over from regulation
>three possession mercy rule
>in the postseason, additional overtimes only add ten more minutes at a time

There I fixed overtime.

it didn't even spin

In the end it seems like a kicking competition would be the best way to go. Especially for a sport like handegg that needs a fair tiebreaker the most.

Two 5 minute halves should be enough I think, given how long they stretch out due to all those commercials.