Kerbal Space Program thread

Kerbal Space Program thread
pic related, my Mun base so far

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!92pSlLJK!Y1jA9_u3pKipdU0BbsCNEsn2cvFeLM6TOFCiTb0Veho
mods.curse.com/ksp-mods/kerbal/220221-mechjeb
forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/90246-the-comprehensive-kerbal-archive-network-ckan-package-manager-v1180-19-june-2016/
forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/154922-ckan-the-comprehensive-kerbal-archive-network-v1223-mahia/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Get on my level.

Got this thing into a Duna orbit using a Xenon engine from the Near Future mod

Is the full version worth the money?

If you are a fan of space travel, absolutely.

Speaking of Duna

God I love the visuals in this game.

I still haven't experimented with space planes. any tips?

>tfw you've never made it out of orbit

Perfect symmetry is important, try to get the center of lift and center of mass around the same spot. Try to keep fuel tanks near the center of mass. Practice with a two stage rocket boosted spaceplane, and go as minimalist as you possibly can. Will upload pics of a couple of my more successful ones.

Barely any kessler syndrome here. What's it like for you guys?

It's just that $40 seems kinda steep for something thst has no storyline/plot.

I clean up my debris and build minimalist eco friendly rockets with returnable boosters.

What do you use once you get out of the atmosphere and can't rely on air intake?

Hi Elon Musk

Lol

Use the Rapier engine, it's convertable. Or drop your air breathing engines and switch to a regular LF rocket.

I'd look at it more as a simulator than a game. You'll spend so much time trying to achieve your own goals that you'll forget that there is no plot.

>utorrent
>pirate bay

so something like this

I'm proud of how many things you fucked up on that rocket, literally no part of it is functional.

made a few adjustments

How do i into this game?
I've tried to play it countlyess times over the years and i end up putting together some random parts that dont work,and flying 100ft

so far so good

look up a dude on youtube named Scott Manley. He has the best tutorials around. watch his stuff and you'll be building working shit fast

uh oh

looks like Corley is going to be alright though

And done.

How he fuck do you get geosync?

One of my mods is making my cockpit flash colors and I don't know which.Also have a huge amount of fuel left, which is nice.

You look up the altitude that you need to be above kerbin to be synched up, you put a ship there in a perfectly circular orbit. Or get Mechjeb and do that.

About to send this behemoth into orbit as the start of my station

Try it and if you like buy it
1.3 mega.nz/#!92pSlLJK!Y1jA9_u3pKipdU0BbsCNEsn2cvFeLM6TOFCiTb0Veho
password if needed is PCGames-Download.NET

Godspeed. Remember the support struts.
Look up CKAN, it's a decent mod manager.

good picture to show how small we kerbals truly are

that's one sleek fucking plane my dude

Why not

Lol

It's gone through a lot of iterations. Also here's a sputnik.

someone make a soyuz

alright, time to start bringing more shit up

Oops

heres my awesome space plane

Too big.

Fugg :DDD

Close_enough.jpg

jeb probably would've survived even without the chutes

What the big solar panels?

forgot image

some wide shots

Radiators for cooling down the nuclear reactor. Thing gets hot

dank

nvm the other wide images are too big filesize. thats all i got.

40? I got it for MAX 20... Probably cheaper...

I have like 50h on my steam account but I didn't even reached mun.
I think I don't have enough patience and time to reach something in this game.
feels fucking bad.

Once I was able to lift off with a teacup I made.

Its something I guess

what are you struggling with?

I keep failing to follow the maneuver nodes somehow or I'm bad at setting them up. No idea.

look up a mod called MechJeb. It will make things so much easier. It's one of the most popular mods. There is also a mod manager called CKAN that simplifies everything

Is this only for pc? I've seen this played and I need it badly. Jebediah Kermin is the best. He got stranded on the Mun but we did eventually get him back. I want to build a space colony.

Found MechJeb.
mods.curse.com/ksp-mods/kerbal/220221-mechjeb
It looks pretty complicated but I'll check it out when I have some time for a session of KSP. Thank you.
But I can't find the CKAN thing...

it has a windows and linux build
it also has an xbox build in development

There you go. It downloads mods for you, so you don't have to fuck with the files yourself.
forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/90246-the-comprehensive-kerbal-archive-network-ckan-package-manager-v1180-19-june-2016/

Link i sent you was an old one. Here is current thread.
forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/154922-ckan-the-comprehensive-kerbal-archive-network-v1223-mahia/

Here is what the Mech Jeb GUI looks like. The top right is the menu, and the top left is the mode that you will mostly be using. It's super easy to use once you understand the terminology. I just googled words I didn't know.

>I just googled words I didn't know.
i feel u boro

Well thank you very much for those hints. I saved the links so I can read through all this when I have some time for KSP.

>Happy space flights everone.
>I need some sleep now.

As someone who has over 500 hours masturbating to kerbals, I have some advice. Don't do planes. They suck. Also, make sure that you have your solar panels facing the sun for things in orbit. I cant tell you how many satellites I have lost due to this.

Rip fucking hundreds of satellites after warping

Bill had to rub one out before we left

The most useful thing I have ever found for KSP is this: make it so your second stage engine is on the same level as your first stage, run fuel lines from first stage tanks to second stage, set off both stages at once. Massive weight reduction, no fuel loss for second stage and overall extremely effective. When first stage runs out of fuel detach it and keep second stage burning.
Also yeah, transatmospheric planes have a bad habit of deciding they are capsules reentering and yawing violently around backwards at 2km/s. SSTO is a technical challenge, not a viable form of doing anything but tourism contracts and even that can be done cheaper and better with disposable rockets.
It's SO satisfying to get one into orbit though, holy shit. Doubly so if you can make a powered or gliding landing.
I like to put radioisotope generators on all my satellites just so they don't lose power ever, OR cheap low grade panels such that they can't all be in shadow at once, like my sputnik up there.

Thats probably connected living space (cls) set up the toolbar and you will be able to move kerbals around a spaceship into other crew modules.

Turns out it was a temperature indicator that was cycling between modes since the cockpit overheated during launch. Disabled it for the last screenshot.

Also I've been playing Kerbals since early access, and landed on the mun before there were landing gear. AMA.

most important things I learned to gitgud
>less is more
more fuel needs more fuel to move it which in turn needs more fuel to move that
if you don't need something, don't include it
and use the minimum number of engines and amount of fuel possible to complete the mission

>burn 180degrees from what you want to change
want to make your low point higher, burn at your high point
only exception is inclination, and that is 90degrees from what you want to change

>gravity turns are your friend
google it
do it

been doing this ever since i discovered it a few days into playing. the best thing i've learned so far

Any other ideas for general stability for rockets?
Usually my checklist includes general cone shape, 3 or 4 delta winglets at bottom, LOTS of struts, batteries and reaction wheels, and SAS.

I discovered the Hohmann transfer orbit from this game, I am really smug about finding it. Shit's cash.

build them like darts
heavy weight in the front
fins in back

Symmetry, I like triagonal radial symmetry. If you use orange tanks put at least three winglets on the ass end.
Batteries are generally a waste of weight except on your space stages.
Put your struts where they take compressive or tensile force, not twisting or at funky angles and you will need fewer of them.
Always use more parachutes than you think you need.
Always double check your staging order and engine activation order.

General procedure for launch:
Tilt it slightly eastward at launch, before air resistance gets bad. Ideally you want to be at around a 45 degree angle by the time you hit 15-20k in altitude, burn until your apoapsis hits 70+k, coast up and do a hard burn parallel to the ground ~30 seconds before you hit it (increase both values for heavy or underpowered rockets), until you have orbit. You are now halfway to anywhere.