So Sup Forums I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question but here it goes...

So Sup Forums I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question but here it goes, I've been stumped while trying to find a antagonist for my book, I always lose my patience while trying to do this because I tend to either fail to make them dark enough or make them stereotypical so I was wondering if you had any ideas to help me out?

what kind of book is it tho

Combine three random posts on Sup Forums

Kinda like a fantasy thing, generic stuff

>this

Okay I know exactly what you should do....

Fuck off to /lit/

/lit/ is a bunch of fags, I want something really evil, not some washed up bs

You have to share more of the narrative if you want help

The key to making a good 'dark' antagonist is to make them reasonable. The best stories aren't about good vs evil, but good vs good.

hmmm.. now that's something actually helpful, thx user

>fail to make them dark enough
antagonists don't have to be "dark" - they have to be percieved by your protagonist as being "bad" enough to ne defeated. They can be generic as fuck fantasy tropes if you want - necromancers or some shit - the real drama comes in their relationship to the protagonist and their characterization. Hell, I would argue that villains that "aren't dark enough" are the most interesting. WHY aren't the dark enough? Why are they still worth defeating?

I know nothing of what you're aiming at here but run some exercises. Make a few generic chaotic evil templates with no substance to get the blood flowing. What you're really looking for is an ideal that will challenge the protagonist and maybe even make them question their own standing on the scales of good and bad. Once you have that ideal do your best to be as descriptive as you can about every detail that may or may not seem important about this antagonist when they enter scenes. The detail/description will allow readers to mold their visions of how truly evil you want this antagonist to seem. A good relation for this would be how long and agonizing terrible events seem to a person who is experiencing them. That's how this antagonist's presence should feel. The aura of who this person is will carry you through the rest of their behavior.

Fuck off OP.

You claim to be a writer and act like you want advice, yet you can barely describe what you are writing beyond two or three words.

I hope you die of cancer.

TL;DR - I like cock but not as much as OP

Fags like this are just as bad as all the "summer" they blame the fall of this board on. lul
1/10 for getting me to reply

I have never once complained about "summer" people. But autistic garabage threads like this should result in permanent bans.

I hope you get cancer.

So on a board entitled random you chose a thread like this to harass instead of the numerous loli, furry, dick rate, and trap threads? Give us some exposition here man, what's your back story and what broke your stasis?

Threads like this are the worst.

With those other faggy threads, you know what you are getting.

However, threads like this present a good general concept - help me create an antagonist. Then OP lets everyone down by being completely unable to describe his story beyond a few vague words. Arrogantly expecting the random austistics here to either create the story for him too or respond with more vague drivel.

This thread is just like the Alien prequels.

Don't bash the giant blue guys! They're giant! And blue! That's all you need for a classic villain!

Nice loser "let's be friends now because I lost the argument" post

Die of cancer.

What motivates the antagonist?
What is his alignment? Lawful Evil? True Neutral? Chaotic Evil?
Is there a purpose to the things he does or is he just in it for the evulz?

Here's the thing though, since I can tell you've never taken any sort of writing class, all stories are the same as outlined by Aristotle. The genre of the book doesn't matter in the slightest because a protagonist and antagonist will fit into any one of them with ease. You're mad because you lack the understanding that someone genuinely interested in a thread like this in an ocean of dicks does have.

tl:dr ur dum dude

this guy can't even tell the difference between posters....
I'm not I am

Make them a total opposite from your protagonist

Don't make them a bad guy. Make them a good guy backed into a corner. They're forced to choose a dark path to save their own shit.

As an aspiring writer I got a tingle when I saw this thread going, but now I'm here I don't have a fucking clue what's going on

Has OP given some sort of clue to his character that I missed?

OP has given no information on his story or characters other than it is a fantasy setting and he needs an antagonist.

Seriously though the alien prequels are so badly written its amazing that Ridley Scott put his name to them.

I pisses me off that a crew sent to investigate alien life and the origins of mankind act like a bunch of teenagers from a horror movie, getting high, getting lost and interacting with ALIEN FUCKING LIFE FORMS like its a petting zoo.

At least the crew in alien were just a bunch of blue collar space truckers, it makes some sense that their robot could screw them over.

But the Prometheus crew were so incompetent that its baffling.
>Hey Jeff, Billy Bob is back, and it looks like he's folded himself up like a bionicle, better open the fucking doors and let him in
>Here's a giant alien ship, I'm going to map it with drones and then STILL GET LOST

And the ending, christ, what were they thinking. The big blue guy just bashes everyone to death for no good reason. Thats like the wizard of OZ just dumping dorathy down a trap door before saying anything when she reaches the emerald city.

Nah, I'm pretty sure he abandoned thread about 8 replies in

Cancer, get it now.

No, OP wants a bunch of pretentious austistics to cum on his feet while he shits himself standing.

As an aspiring writer you should have realised op is either underage or retarded and bailed like did, i saw your comment scrolling the home page.

>its either not dark enough or too dark

Yep.

And because of how disappointing they were in regards to everyone's expectations, the films were even worse than an Adam Sandler movie in a way.

Thankfully not as bad as this thread.

Cop-out of the century. With this reply I am sustained. I can leave the thread knowing that I have come out victorious in our petty Internet squabble.

I'm going to suggest to OP that if this is his first trials at writing that he may need our help.

OP you should upload this story to Wattpadd and then come back with the link so we can read it and give you some actual help

To elaborate on what that user said.
Essentially, a good antagonist should be one who is doing what they are doing because they think it's the right thing to do.
Maybe it's because they think some other group are evil and need to be killed to save everyone. Maybe it's because they feel their group is being mistreated. Maybe they think that only they have the grit to help, or that their unique view is the one that will bring the most good.
A good antagonist is one the reader will understand, maybe sympathise with, their motives, just not their methods.

Every person is the hero of their own story.

Another thing is to avoid making making an antagonist act illogically.
It's fun to have cruel villains, but they shouldn't be actively undermining themselves by their actions.
Unless of course you want to portray them as an idiot, which is perfectly valid. A lot of real-world villains also made some incredibly stupid decisions.

All I've said is basic guidelines, don't think I think it should be followed as dogma, nor is it the only way to make an interesting villain. I'm sure there are hundreds of examples that fly against my advice and are still great.

Talk about cop outs.
>I won guise, I'm leaving because I announced myself winner of Internet argument. By saying that I don't care about leaving it makes me even more of a winner. Winning so much.

Yeah thats what I meant. You can also have insane villains in the same vein as stupid/reckless ones. But again, insane people are still people, they don't think/realize they're doing anything wrong necessarily. And even if they know what they're doing is wrong, they might believe that they hear the voice of god and it's all for some "higher purpose".

Hell, even if you go for a full blown psychopathic nihilist who's simply evil for the sake of being evil, there can still be a character in there. After all, choosing to reject the world and everything in it is still making a choice.

I'm the blue guy poster. I love you, user. We need more people who completely flip out for absolutely no reason!

Heterosexuality should be your antagonist. Write what you know.

Since when is OP heterosexual?

Holy shit dude, I never imagined to actually read a thought-out response to anything on this board.

>It shows up in all its splendor
>It claims it is an ancient being of incredible power
>It has judged humanity in its current state, and has found humanity on that thin line between good and evil
>It has cast down civilizations before and scattered the people of the world to allow them to try again
>This time is special.
>This is close, closer than humanity has ever been.
>Only one thing remains
>???

And actually it's a thing that was stripped of Its power and imprisoned here by other things. It can't grant wishes, win wars, bring riches, cure the sick, bring eternal youth, or any of the other myths It has spread about itself.

It has no right to judge humanity, and no power to enforce such a judgement. It has never been to the human realm before, and has no desire to stay.

All it needs is someone to let it free. So, it lies and waits.

Yoshikage Kira

It happens more often in the dead of the night, when the monster suits come off for a few moments

No, he's familiar with being in opposition to heterosexuality.

Shit. Male heterosexuality.

It's been a long day, I'm not bringing my 'A' game.

I got that, afterwards.

Write a protagonist who has been forced into doing bad things

this

Oh, good. Thanks for updating me.

your antagonist should be a chinease elevator or escalator. nightmare fuel.

A young child locates alien technology beyond his comprehension. It looks pretty damn cool, so the kid plays with it all day.

That evening, on the news, a cataclysm has affected someplace thousands of miles away. The government believes it was unnatural, and announces their intention to locate those responsible and destroy them.

The kid is completely unaware of the great harm he has caused, and goes back out to play with his new toy.

He has to have a white parrot sitting on his left shoulder.
This defeats most stereotypes.

Serling-esque

spoiler:
The white parrot is the true brains of the operation.

Final scene:
After the Big Bad is killed and his lair starts to collapse, the heroes take the parrot out with them, and symbolically set the white parrot free, believing their troubles are over.

I suppose it is. Although, in a break from Serling, I saw it going beyond that. Like, the kid plays with it and learns various features, then tells his friend. The neighbor kid, who is kind of a bully, forces the kid to show him.

They all go out to the field only to find some G-men and police taking it. The bully grabs the Cool Thing and... hilarity ensues.

Surgery to replace skin, fingers, muscle tissue, and even whole eyes exists, but has the down side of you gradually becoming more and more machine, save for the brain.

This doesn't make you *like* a machine, but rather begins to replace your body with machine parts that function as well as, if not better than organic parts. the early adopters of this treatment are nearly completely machine. Possessing strength and fatigue resistance as well as heightened senses, these trans-humans excel in their respective fields. Free from the ravages of illness and aging, as well as being extremely resistant to injury, over time they become members of an elite social class. With a the wisdom of 200+ years and the wealth and influence that can only be acquired by someone that can work tirelessly and needs no sustenance, the social elite become the ruling Elite.

However, a rumor arises: It has always been said that even the most transformed person still has an organic brain. But, according to rumor, this is not true. The Elite are, in fact, machines. They've always been machines, and this is their way of controlling humanity.

He's black and steals other blacks' bikes

duh nuh nuh nuh nuh Blackman!

hey OP send me a link to what u have so far

also what type of antagonist are u looking for
a world-class threat or just some bad guy who just happened to be on the enemy team

There is a fungus that causes people near to each other to seek direct physical connection.

All affected in the area immediately remove their clothing, find some open space, and embrace each other before dying. Their flesh rapidly dries out as the fungus grows from them to form more fruiting bodies to release yet more spores...

>I'm not sure if this is the correct place
so lerkmoar fgt pls

fgt = fight
fag = faggot

A great beast lies in the woods nearby, preying on the inhabitants of a small village. The beast is fast and strong, but not especially intelligent. Still, it is quite dangerous, so the town gathers funds to hires some heroes to defeat it.

The heroes arrive with some fanfare, and plant to strike out at dawn. They will find the beast, defeat it, and return with its body as a trophy.

However... that night, they stayed up late, drinking. Boasts were made, some plausible, some less so. As the hour grew late and the drinks flowed, the situation began to escalate...

Okay, what you need to do is think of who your protagonist is. There are four paths you can go. An antagonist that is a more successful version of the protagonist, one that is a less successful version, someone the opposite of the protagonist and highly powerful, or a gray-area antagonist.

his father was killed when he was young because he wasnt powerful enough and now all he craves is power, magical, physical, but most of all political.

OP, keep in mind not every story needs a "villain" to have an antagonist.

Assuming you are going for a character and not a natural disaster or antagonizing force, there are really two great types of villains:

The "hero" - Look at Handsome Jack from Borderlands 2, Torol Sadeas from The Way of Kings, Hive from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Magneto from X-Men. These men truly believe in the core of their being that they are doing what is right. These antagonists are fun to explore because the more noble and just you make them, the more provoking your story becomes. Make them flawed, but don't fall into the trap of making their arguments or beliefs easy to poke holes in. It makes the characters entirely less believable.

The monster - Joffrey Baratheon. Voldemort. Darth Vader. Most incarnations of the Joker. These characters are fun because they are absolutely irredeemable (though it's fun to tease that they could turn around before betraying the hero yet again). These characters need to get what's coming to them for the audience to feel satisfied. Don't be afraid to really lean into it and go over the top with these ones. That's their entire purpose, and half-assing it just makes a limp villain.

Hope that helps.

copypaste your protagonist but make him more ruthless in the way he works towards his positive ideals. Use a lot of v, th and o in his name

>antagonist is future version of protagonist trying to prepare his past self for what's ahead in an attempt to prevent himself from becoming the antagonist.

Just as the protagonist begins to understand, the antagonist is suddenly struck down from behind by... another future version of the protagonist, one that desires the events ahead to come to pass...

Would make a good movie

I like that

Why does it need to have an antagonist?
This is pretty common wisdom in all creative endevours, never ever put in something that the story doesn't need, so if it doesn't need one, abandon the idea, and if it does need one, find a human explanation (one that feels reasonable and convincing) for why the character is doing whatever it is they're doing.
Antagonists being edgelords stopped being cool before TV's had color. Make them understandable. Relatable. Human.

self-antagonism

Crippling self-doubt, anxiety, and depression?

Or more of a Two-face kinda split personality?

Dogs are taking over the world. They have been quietly working at it for a while, but few people know. How can they? These dogs have taken on the appearance of humans.

They have been moving into various positions of influence throughout society to consolidate their power, BUT

Any person that holds a banana up to their head can see through their illusions and resist their lies. It is important to do so, and soon, but how can our heroine convince others to do so?

THE TRUTH ABOUT CATS

This is a movie that you should not watch with cats around.

Start with a decent character, and give them reasons to do things your hero will want to stop them from doing. You can't have your villain be completely evil, and just be doing it for the lols. He'll never be taken seriously by the audience unless you can manage to make him come off as truly unhinged.

Instead, start with a halfway decent guy, and examine what caused him to fall to darkness. What are his motivations? Money? Power? Why does he want these? Is he trying to protect something? Does he have a higher cause? What if he's really a hero that's gone too far one too many times? A sympathetic villain that does absolutely hideous things gets at people.

Also, get /lit/ fam. They're probably better help then we will be.

Around the US and a few photogenic parts of the UK and Canada, more and more Nicholas cage posters are appearing. When taken down, there is nothing out of the ordinary about them. Yet, again and again, they appear on wall of occupied rooms where the attention of everyone has been distracted, and there is a way someone could have placed it on the wall.

A bare room with one exit and occupants staring at that exit will not experience this anomaly. Likewise, a room where the occupants are looking at all walls will not experience any such thing.

However, in a well traveled room with multiple occupants, if there is a door or window that a person could pass through to place such a poster on the wall, AND all attention is distracted away long enough, there just might be another Nicholas Cage poster on the wall.

Meanwhile, no one, not even his family or agent, has seen Nicholas Cage since these poster placings have been occurring. It is assumed that it is him, until the police find his badly decayed remains outside of a small dairy farm near Hoboken.

ID, appearance, DNA, and dental records confirm it: This was Nicholas Cage, and he has been dead for some time.

But the very next day, a Nick Cage poster appears in the police department headquarters with letters covered in blood:

DEATH CANNOT STOP ME

Now, a long time Cage fan that hated The Rock, Con Air, and The Wicker Man must confront spectres from his past.

Sounds like the plot of the movie Predestination. Highly reccomend a watch.

Danyn is a loser. He's smart but stutters, almost in shape but clumsy, sort of good looking but poorly groomed. He is in stark contrast to his brother, Daniel, who has the same build and grades, but is well liked and quite popular.

Daniel is able to get a decent paying summer job with a new crew doing road work. Danyn is barely able to get a volunteer job updating the local library's page. Danyn needs to prove himself before the end of the summer, or he's off to military school, so the page MUST be updated.

But what's this? Just before the deadline, the internet for the whole neighborhood cuts out! How could this happen?! I mean, sure, there's road work going on nearby, but... wait... WAIT

Is the jealousy that everyone is sure exists in the right direction?

MOSQUITO SEASON

Parker Bradley is an ordinary college student, with an ordinary (loser) social life.

One day, while shooting a video for his (unpopular) vlog, things begin to get weird.

Really weird.