What is it about hip-hop that makes it age worse than every other genre?

What is it about hip-hop that makes it age worse than every other genre?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_equivalence
youtube.com/watch?v=HwDTfsR6Y3w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's nigger noise. It's loud, boisterous, and flashy but ultimately just nigger noise.

Destruction is a creative act for a nigger. It's why their music, their art, their entire culture celebrates violence and destruction.

>It's nigger noise
Why the racism?

fuck off back to Sup Forums

It evolves faster than any other genre and unapologetically grasps onto new trends.

It's still incredibly young and figuring itself out

Because niggers are subhuman beasts and our attempts to domesticate them have failed.

What is there to figure out? Its niggers talking over a beat

>it's a good genre, it's on its way to church, it's a genre on its way to college

It's nearly 40 years old. That's like calling rock music incredibly young in the 90's.

>It's nearly 40 years old. That's like calling rock music incredibly young in the 90's.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_equivalence

>False equivalence is a logical fallacy in which two opposing arguments appear to be logically equivalent when in fact they are not. This fallacy is categorized as a fallacy of inconsistency.[1]

early hip-hop still bangs tho idk what you talking about

It's meant to be disposable and ephemeral, like Snapchat.
I've had a theory that an important reason the tastemakers change up music all the time is creating generation gaps in taste and preventing solidarity between generations.
>reattaches tinfoil under cans

It also used to have a point. Other than Chuck D and MF DOOM, which rappers these days frequently rap about shit that matters? It's all just conspicuous consumption anymore, like unto pop-art. Bitches, blunts and forties.

>obvious shoop is obvious

walk into traffic, dumb fuck

(You)

It's produced faster, less thought out, simpler, and focuses on being relevant rather than timeless months/years pass and the track is garbage. At least in the case of mainstream rap/hip-hop

How is it a false equivalence? I'm saying hip hop is not a young genre.

>complaining about racism on 4chin

Because it evolves much faster than rock, making a lot of the other stuff poorly aged

what did you get so angry about?

Innovation in hip-hop is based on production techniques, and gimmicky production always ages like milk.

Feel bad for you guys...

You've really not listened to as many rappers as you think you have

Jesus Christ Raimi

>posted on Sup Forums

You claim that rap ages quickly, yet this album still sounds like it came from the future.

Because hip hop tends to lend itself to electronic music, which is largely influenced by whatever's popular at the moment. As trends come and go, hiphop instrumentals come and go as well, which causes the whole 'aging' thing. Rock music mostly doesn't seem to age (unless you're listening to shitty hair metal) because it has more or less remained the same throughout the decades.
Aging is a sign of progress.

Nice uninformed opinion. Bet you're real redpilled, eh? You know the truth, don't you. Everybody else is blind sheeple but not you

mass generalizations galore. this is only true of trap and mumble rap, which most people only listen to 'ironically,' anyway.

Hip hop has little to no musical merit so every hip hop album ages like milk

You must have very low reading comprehension. Hip-hop is as old now as rock was in the 90s, even older if you take into account that many people consider rock and rock and roll two different genres/movements.

>le reading comprehension meme
fuck off or get a better argument

He's right about what he's saying and I don't know why you have such a huge problem about it.

80's rock is still listenable
80's hiphop is mostly atrocious.

youtube.com/watch?v=HwDTfsR6Y3w

This for example its just awful.

It's pure industry garbage.

It's LITERALLY what it is.

Smile, Marshall!

This, hip-hop as a genre evolves/changes faster than any other genre of music. Rock music at the end of the day is still the same old guitar shit in comparison. Hip-hop on the other hand, is very diverse because any/every sound can be used to create its instrumentals. That way it can adapt whatever sound is hip at the moment (like it did with the EDM trend this decade and RnB in the decades past.) There's a night and day difference between Rakim/Young Thug yet a band like Radiohead, despite being "revolutionary", sounds a lot like the big bands of the 60s/70s like Beatles or Pink Floyd or Can.

lol ok

lmao

HAHAHAH what the actual fuck, do you even understand what you're typing.

>people taking this bait

Ill reply because I feel like I know what the fedora'd fallacy genius was getting at.

Hip -Hop may have been around for as long as rock had been in the 90's, but if you only look to the number of years the genres been around, you're kind of implying that both genres have had the same amount of artistic progression in that time, which is not necessarily true.

Not saying I agree with him, just throwing it out there.

All I'll bother saying to refute this is that you need to either listen to more rock and stop being totally ignorant of the genre, or stop baiting and fuck off.

this

what's the name of that one rap song that has that "BAIIIBY" (baby but the ba is really long) adlib?

Actually all hip hop sounds the same. I can't even tell if it's lil Wayne, future, rich homie Quan, young thug or tpain trying to make a comeback. I would understand if you said "all punk bands sound the same" or "all glam rock bands sound the same" but saying all rock sounds the same is stupid. Honestly, think about it, can you really put an album like "news of the world - queen" next to "banned in DC - badbrains????" Both are amazing works of art but they're not anywhere similar. Hip hop has been on life support since about 2010. It's on it's last leg.

Why are OPs on Sup Forums just the fucking worst?

sauce?

obviously photoshop

>Hip-Hop is on it's last leg

I believe this is unfortunately untrue. The current generation of young people are able to connect with recent hip-hop being made in the same way that people in the 60's connected with Dylan and his protest music and Nirvana in the early 90's. Hip-Hop has replaced rock, in the way that it is in the cultural forefront in america at the moment, and wont go anywhere until something completely new comes to divert the attention and start a new musical movement.

What makes hiphop is the art of rhyme. These rhymes tend to be heavy linked to slang and cultural references. Things like money cars and clothes, which change every spring. What you do see though is the changing of rhyme scheme to make for a different sound, but the subject matter is always the same.

>implying the slim shady and marshall mathers LPs aren't fucking GOAT tier to this day

this
The Eminem Show is fucking epic as well

>ITT: degenerates who think mumbling douchebags are hip-hop artists

Wait though, why did you post a cartoon? Post an actual picture of the people on the right.

>hip-hop
>never really went past 4/4 sampled beats with rhymes

>rock
>post-rock, math-rock and a gazillion of genres doing a myriad of rhythms, time signatures; drew extensively on world music, classical, other artforms, electronic music, literally all kind of timbral mark up has been explored, and so on...

The "progress" on hip-hop is mostly just production minutiae that turn trendy, inflate and are absorved by more mainstream acts, dies down with the advent of a new gimmick. Musically speaking, the genre has been largely stagnant since its inception

it sucks

Accurate when you don't know shit about hip-hop

Also accurate when you know shit about hip-hop. The true musical voices on hip-hop are very few and far betwee

kek, there are so many underground and unknown artists that are far better than all the Kanyes and Kendricks out there. But sure m8, hop-hip is reduced to tends, gimmicks, and a few voices.. sure..

I like old hip hop. There is plenty of unlistenable shit in every genre from the past including hip hop though

>rock music more or less has remained the same over the years
Lmao yeah because imagine dragons sounds just like Zappa dude.

The only hip hop I like is the REALLY old shit, back in the Sugar Hill days when all the songs were seven minutes long and the lyrics were just "Look how cool I am".

>imagine dragons
>rock
are you insane

Imagine Dragons are indie, not rock.

>DUDE just compare two artists who couldn't be more different and that will be your argument LMAO

>there are so many underground and unknown artists that are far better than all the Kanyes and Kendricks out there.
lol

whenever you pressure someone making this claim to give examples they always give the most laughably bad ones like Tech N9ne or something

There was a time when people would say that same thing about rock or jazz

>What makes hiphop is the art of rhyme.
This.

Hip-hop takes lyricism much further than rock ever has.

Imagine Dragons are pop trash what the fuck are you on about

>indie
not a genre
when people talk about indie they're referring either to indie ROCK or indie folk

not him, but that's the point being made? diversity in rock music

Come on Hip hop was still in its infancy in the 80's. Rock was there for at least 30 years. And it's the 90's hip hop that are still listenable because they brought huge advances in terms of flow, lyrical ability, charismatic mcs, and huge advances in terms of production.

t. butthurt rockist

>trust nobody, not even yourself

not a fan of Tech N9ne desu
talking more about thinks like
>Swollen Members
>Foreign Beggars
>John Robinson
>Chill Bump
>Yelawolf
>Verb T
>Shahmen

inb4 "I dont know them so they're bad"

those are all bringing something new to the table and avoid the bitch-niggaz-dope-gangsta tropes.. not looking to start a debate here, but I also thought hip-hop was all the same before I started looking for quality stuff

Both bands work with a similar timbre set of guitars, bass, and drumset. They also work almost exclusively within pentatonic scale/their "shapes on guitar". Sounds need to exist exclusively in terms of chords and melodies. Now you'll be like "b-but Zappa shows how versatile rock music is cuz muh Brain Police" but that's not even rock it mystique concrete. Zappa's most well known moments are rarely even rock at all; rather it's usually some sorta early electronic, doo wop, or jazz fusion. That makes the comparison ever weaker.

No it doesn't. The difference between DJ Kool Herc, Nas, Death Grips, and Young Thug are miles apart. Rock music will always be limited due to being guitar/drumset music that's almost always limited to pentatonic stuff with some variation from more experimental bands. Hip hop doesn't have theoretical limitations due to its ability to incorporate literally any sound it wants to be the overall sound.

>Hip hop doesn't have theoretical limitations
are you actually retarded?

adding to that list:
>Kool Keith
>Grems
>Atmosphere
>Greydon Square

Hip hop has a FAR wider timbre set than rock music ever did despite being much younger. Hip hop's has times it goes outside 4/4 as well, but it doesn't matter because even in 4/4 it offers far more rhythmic variety thus rhythmic interplay than rock ever did.

Also
>actual classical ever in rock music
This only shows how ignorant you are about music. Don't even bring up prog or Henry Cow because you'll only further embarrass yourself.

You're a pseud of the highest caliber. Try and be objective at least once

Rock music is infinitely more diverse than hip hop. Even though hip-hop is beat-based music, rock still manages to display more rhythmic variation. Like I said before, rock has assimilated basically ANYTHING from anywhere and did it in a creative, syncretic way. Hip-hop's incorporation of new timbres is always shallow because they lie inconspicuously in the very same 4/4 unimaginative structure.

>actual classical ever in rock music
Ever heard of Glenn Branca? First wave post-rock?

It doesn't though. Really just only needs something slightly resembling a breakbeat or a rap over it as long as it doesn't just do something that's been exactly done before.

Hip hop is perhaps THE single most constrained music genre there is. It almost never ever go past the same beats, tempo, harmonic structure (when there's even any discernible harmonic content lmao), lyrical structure, phrasing...it's just so utterly limited I can't believe this isn't bait. Sampling weird sounds on top of a simple beat doesn't mean breaking the mold, big guy. Even then, sampling has already been explored to greater extents by artists outside of hip hop many decades ago.

Are Future and DJ Esco gay? Future mentions him a bit too often in songs and they're a bit too touchy to be close friends IMO

dude... rappers can go over literally anything, from complete silence to heavy dubstep mixed with classical piano and star wars sfx

Holy shit you're fucking stupid, like every pretentious rock fan ever.

>more rhythmic variation
Nope. Sure the back beat is often in 4/4, but it achieves rhythmic variation in rhythmic interplay between that, the MC, and various other parts. This is not something that rock has at all, and was only explored in jazz before that.
>rock assimilated
No, it took surface level crap from other genres. Like, this was literally the argument for King Crimson back in the day because it's not really classical influence, it's just pop structure with an extentded instrumental sections that neither develop like classical nor improvise like jazz while keeping to rock music's shallow progressions.
>always same 4/4 structure
Not true because the genre's not always in 4/4, but also not true because it has been willing to work with everything that can be used in a variety of ways, giving it the ability to create atmospheres rock can't feasibly make. Sure in the end it may not be as melodically or harmonically "intricate" as rock, but rock even in prog forms had been very basic in that realm meanwhile hip hop understands what it's good at and focuses on that.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, so I'll reply anyway
Read any basic textbook on poetry or songwriting and you'll realize most rappers barely scratch the surface of lyricism

Oh I didn't even see the bottom part.
>Branca
I posted the giant share of almost his entire discography. But that guy was nowhere near classical until he dropped rock entirely.
>First wave
>classical
It has more similarities to jazz, but even then the structures are much simpler with the instrumental parts not at the intricacy of actual jazz.

Now you're just being ignorant considering I have the examples of Kool Herc, Nas, Death Grips, and Young Thug who are all wildly different from each other in style, sound, and rhythm.

>m-mug harmonic structure
You wouldn't be listening to rock music if you really gave a fuck. Rock music focuses on melody/harmony only to be inferior to much better classical/jazz in that realm. Hip hop understands it's specialization in percussive rhythmic interplay and does it really well.

Oh and
>b-but muh Negativland did sampling better
No they didn't. Sampling pre hip hop was basic as fuck until guys like Bomb Squad, De La Soul, and Beastie Boys starting surgically cutting them apart into ways never done before.

Did I just see someone giving some credit to the Beastie Boys? FINALLY

Hip hop has ZERO melodic content, ZERO harmonic content and still lags behind rock music concerning rhythm - no, it almost never goes beyond 4/4 simple meter, it almost never employs polyrhythms or other "interplay". You sound very musically illiterate by affirming that
Hip hop's playground is only timbre, and even there they're light years behind. Like I said, their so called progress are only the latest shiny production tool, almost never real, substantial usage of far out timbral content. Rock music had perpassed basically anything timbre-wise by the 90s.

>Now you're just being ignorant considering I have the examples of Kool Herc, Nas, Death Grips, and Young Thug who are all wildly different from each other in style, sound, and rhythm.
>style, sound and rhythm
Their rhythm is the same as all hip-hop. What do you mean by style? All the shit that influenced Death Grips and Nas was already explored a billion times by rock acts.

And no, I'm not a fucking rockist. In fact, I barely listen to rock music nowadays. Your posts are so musically illiterate I just felt compelled to argue

John Oswald, the dozens of names in the avant-garde tradition, dub pioneers...they all excelled in sampling before hip-hop was even a thing; the only barrier between them and the sound you hear nowadays is technological. Hip-hop did literally nothing new music-wise. Educate yourself.

That's because Dr. Dres production is impeccable.

>Hip hop understands it's specialization in percussive rhythmic interplay
Hip hop's rhythmic content is primitive at best. Electronic music artists have way more interesting things to say regarding rhythm

kek
So in that regard, no music genre ever did nothing new because there was always proto-sub-genres somewhere developing elements of it. Got it.

Wrong, learn to read
Hip-hop music is mostly created by amateur musicians with no formal education (so is rock, if we are talking about absolute majorities, but rock happened to entice a few virtuosos or people that understand composition). It's no surprise its musical content is very primitive...it's music that's simple to create, play live and disseminate. People like simple music