/Jazz/

Sunday Jazz chill zone, what are you listening to on this fine Sunday and what do you think about it

Let's make /Jazz/ great again

>Sup Forums jazz guides and charts
imgur.com/a/7k7Sw

>releases, reviews and news
pastebin.com/RXP80z0f

>music downloads
archive.org/details/davidwnivenjazz

>historical resources
mega.nz/#F!fNdmVR7B!9a5sgVwyqqC3i3j9ooJGLg (jazz books)
mega.nz/#F!vZUVwQAR!nye_-wRwFbm-0Q3DYivQBg (Collection of Blue Note liner notes)
mega.nz/#F!ncdz0CpY!7RKQ_SY6OI77NcKS64t4UA (Collection of 1960’s Down Beat Scans)

>jazz theory and playing resources
mega.nz/#F!WcEEmbIJ!YGcPWrZAx4K9Jf4TVnsb_w

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yunieR9wnkg
youtube.com/watch?v=uPW9LfGUpe4
soundcloud.com/networkmusicensemble/chardonnay
youtube.com/watch?v=FTvlaJ0fqDY
rateyourmusic.com/collection/jazzthreadguy/strm_relyear,ss.rd/2017
youtube.com/watch?v=YTF4zh5xMbE
youtube.com/watch?v=0wgA9L5TN5M
youtu.be/ZcYwaFMLUR4
open.spotify.com/artist/6cxx0cktWwhTwJ1lqZ5bDf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Listening to music that was played on The Weather Channel 20+ years ago

youtube.com/watch?v=yunieR9wnkg

AESTHETIC

youtube.com/watch?v=uPW9LfGUpe4

I can't get to that video from proxies from germany, france, canada, or the us. Soulseek and youtube turns out nothing on "Network Music Ensemble - Chardonnay", so does google, duckduckgo, startpage and unbubble. Where the fuck can I hear this weather jazz?

you can find that song on spotify and deezer... also myspace if you look really really hard.

soundcloud.com/networkmusicensemble/chardonnay

Nice guitar trio album from this year; check it out

I can't believe this is not so known. youtube.com/watch?v=FTvlaJ0fqDY

great album

not listening to jazz now, but the last great jazz thing i heard was pic related

Anybody want to rec me some good jazz releases from this year?

Miguel Zenon - Tipico
David Binney- The Time Verses
Verneri Pohjola - Pekka
Kirk Knuffke - Cherryco
Jon Irabagon, John Hegre & Nils Are Dronen - Axis
Olli Hirvonen - New Helsinki
Tomasz Stanko New York Quartet - December Avenue
Mostly Other People Do The Kiling - Loafer's Hollow

JTG's list is pretty good
rateyourmusic.com/collection/jazzthreadguy/strm_relyear,ss.rd/2017

but I'd also add Ambrose Akinmusire- A Rift in the Decorum and I think JTG was too harsh on the Mats Gustafsson/Craig Taborn collab

help me i love l. ron hubbard now

Seconding the Akinmusire, it's dope. So much feeling in the playing. I think he really gains from the more stripped-down, straight-ahead format compared to his studio albums which feel a bit overdone to me.

kys

Why are jazz fans so enamored with mental illness?

serious jazz fans often aren't really as enamored with Sun Ra as the rock fans tend to be. he wrote some crazy music and some of it is pretty good but a lot isn't that good.

>serious jazz fans
fuck off elitist

go away

he's right though, sun ra only made a handful of good songs

Matthias Müller - solo trombone
Splitter Orchestra/Felix Kubin - Shine on you crazy diagram
Thollem & Mazurek - Blind curves and box canyons
The Necks - Unfold
The Alice Coltrane Luaka Bop comp
Nate Woodley - Complete syllables music
Ilan Volkov - 16.2.17
Fred Lonberg-Holm - Cabin, cemetery, forest
Colin Stetson - All this I do for glory
Andrew Smiley - Dispersal
Malaby, Maneri, Levin - New artifacts
Jaimie Branch - Fly or die
Toxic - This is beautiful because we are beautiful people
Lean Left - I forgot to breathe
Will Guthrie - People pleaser
Jerman, Barnes - Karst
Monas - Freedom
Ben Bennett, Michael Foster - In it

Yeah he's right though. Go to New York and ask some jazz musicians what they think about Sun Ra and most of them will probably respond with disinterested shrugs

Id say its more like what i call a bad batting average, the guy made a few great albums but the majority of them are not spectacular. Still a great artist though, i would say herbies batting average can be not so great sometimes too but hes still fucking herbie ya know? Most free jazz guys in my community dig those few records a lot but we arent out of our damn minds for him like with trane or cecil taylor.

Bump

what's that ECM jazz meme? i don't understand it

It's not a meme, it's a record label that releases music, not exclusively jazz, even. The records they do release, however, are kind of an answer to the shit that is free jazz.
At least, that's what I know.
And they're covers are sick.

What's the most complex and intricate stuff to ever come out of jazz?

I just recently started to dip my toes in Jazz, mainly because of the show Louie that brought to life the chill city vibes, the music just puts me in such a good somber mood. It lifts me up but not too much since i'm naturally a glass half empty person.

I don't know if it's the MOST intricate but both Steve Coleman and Miles Okazaki have recorded some pretty complex, intricate stuff in the past 10 years or so. Some of it probably too intricate.

have you seen taxi driver, or at least listened to the soundtrack? get the feeling you'd enjoy it

bump for ya

Should orchestration and arrangements matter in jazz?

Yes

Depends. With solos, duos, trios and quartets I don't think it makes a big difference. But as the arrangement gets larger, the more they matter. Jazz has a far more...individualist feel to its playing with the whole "soloists taking the lead" thing, and that aspect of it only gets harder to balance with larger arrangements.

Links to the top three or at least some direction? They're awful hard to find.

this is great, thanks user

Has anyone actually been through all of Anthony Braxton's 9 Compositions (Iridium)? What did you think?

I guess I'm one of the few "serious jazz fans" that loves his shit. You're still a fag

Yep, loved it.

This looks nice

Thread dying, quick
what's your favorite 4-note jazz chord?

I can't decide between M7sus2 and m7b5

m6 or mMaj7

>implying the neckbeard playing Kind of Blue in his basement in order to feel cultured is no different to the crazy esoteric hermit who sits at a piano 24/7 trying to find a harmonic progression or melodic phrase he's never heard before

good ol' versatile m7

seconding the minor 7th
can be breathtaking if placed just right in a progression
major 7th is pretty, but a bit too pretty

yeah major 7th is much too bluesy for me, i don't use it often

Favorite female jazz musicians?

Either Maj7b5 or Maj7#5

The M7b5 is so versatile. You can play like 5 different root notes under it and you get a nice different sound from each.

As for the M7#5 I like to voice it to emphasize the dissonance with the minor 2nd at the bottom of the chord. So for a BbM7#5 it'd be A Bb D F#. It also emphasizes the D triad in the chord so you can do cool arpeggio patterns on that and it sounds pretty hip. It's a nice way to add tension to an otherwise boring M7 chord.

Mary Lou Williams
Toshiko Akiyoshi
Marian McPartland
Carla Bley
Geri Allen
Maria Schneider
Roberta Piket
Ingrid Jensen
Mary Halvorson

A disproportionate number of them play piano for some reason

what do you guys think of this?

I think that's a really good record

Anyone got links to Chick Corea - Light as a Feather and Pat Metheny - The Way Up? Other stuff by them is appreciated too.

Esperanza Spalding

Shows how much you know about jazz

Yeah thats great.

Erh-, I'm not good with names.

Anyone here, who attended the North Sea Jazz festival in Amsterdam? Big line-up, some big names, a lot of unknowns, but seemed to be cool.

bump
listening to this metheny group record and am just kind of getting pissed off. not sure what I enjoy about music anymore.

>not sure what I enjoy about music anymore.
I had this feeling recently, too. Although, according to lastfm, I was putting in 2d of listening every week, a lot of it seemed like sifting through shit (though most of it was new metal recs), anyways sharethreads and some newer jazz records kept me going, along with some classics of all genres.

What are your favorite jazz album covers?

STOP LETTING THE THREAD DIE!!

kek. I miss this meme

Why is my cover different?

sorry wrong photocopy

What were you guys' thoughts on this? Curious. At first I was meh because the way it starts off is like typical goofy stuff with not much actually going on, but it actually does a lot of cool stuff as it goes on.

How do you think it compares to his other compositions?

I liked it and wanted more.

Wait, never mind. I meant that for his 2012 Planet MicroJam.
On a side note, I was somewhat upset to discover King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Flying Microtonal Banana wasn't microtonal at all.

I haven't listened to a lot of Fiuczynski's stuff but that's usually kind of how I feel about it. He does a lot of tasteless bullshit but then a couple cool things that make me think if he would just stick to that stuff he could make some really amazing music.

Records for when gf of year and a half breaks up with you?

Dancing In Your Head

youtube.com/watch?v=YTF4zh5xMbE

Where can I find some noise jazz?

I really loved Merzbow's Strange City and love this as well
youtube.com/watch?v=0wgA9L5TN5M

Listen to Ornette Coleman's Free Jazz: A Collective Improvisation if you haven't already.

Otherwise in terms of what you actually want, there's Hijokaidan's 蔵六の奇病

cringe

>Hijokaidan's 蔵六の奇病
amazing.

More?

Also do you know what albums Merzbow sampled for the Sun Ra collab? Or do you know some noisy Run Ra albums?

Probably something by Braxton

Check out Otomo Yoshihide's jazz stuff

Any recs?

Any Western artists or do the Japs have this genre on lock?

what am in for mu?

bland, messy hard bop/post-bop

So I decided to chill on the more contemporary jazz stuff I have otherwise been listening to, and decided to jam some Armstrong Hot Five stuff. Do any of you know how popular exactly any of that stuff was at that time period? It was still made when jazz was strictly popular music, right? I am wondering because I was honestly expecting super simple stuff, but even old ass Armstrong's stuff in many ways still manages to have more complexity than even progressive rock/experimental rock.

>people shitting on sun ra
Maybe /jazz/ would better appreciate his piano work in a trio setting

youtu.be/ZcYwaFMLUR4

>Best
Flamenco Sketches

>Runner Up
Blue in Green

>Worst
Freddie Freeloader

>Overrated
So What

>Underrated
Blue in Green

P decent record, first track is stellar, rest not as much in my opinion. Still good though

Bought a used CD of Keith Jarrett's Koln Concert yesterday. The best album I've heard in a while, just incredible. I feel like I've been living under a rock.

Any recs on what else to listen to, or thoughts on the album?

Who else /Casiopea/ here?

>not live in Roma '77
come on now

also anyone who shits on Ra has never heard On Jupiter or Lanquidity

Andrew Hill's solo piano albums on Arista are good
should probably get into solo classical piano too--Debussy, Beethoven Bagatelles, Ravel, etc

>pic
haha thanks

why do this?

It's fun and might be interesting to see what people agree or disagree on, especially since /jazz/ tends to talk too much about whole albums it's fun to look more at individual tracks.

Do you guys like Big Band? Any favorites?

open.spotify.com/artist/6cxx0cktWwhTwJ1lqZ5bDf

Are there any great recent jazz vocalists?

pls respond

Keith Jarrett is great
Listen to Changeless and Arbour Zena

Youtube have been recommending them to me for weeks and I've finally listened yesterday, downloading discography atm
Such a vibrant and chill sound, great stuff

You can listen to Müller and the Splitter Orchestra on bandcamp for free; you have to buy the Thollem/Mazurek CD. Müller is part of Splitter Orchestra, a free improvisation group featuring Mike Majkowski, Axel Dörnor, and other big names in improv; their best is provably their collab with George Lewis from last year, which is available on Spotify