I really don't get the hate for this...

I really don't get the hate for this. I actually think it's one of the most inventive and experimental albums from a major rock band in a long time, at least an 8/10. I'm not surprised other people don't get it, though.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wBavrE3as4M
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>inventive and experimental albums
how so user?

Can someone point me towards where I can listen to the album, I hated the four singles but was told there's one or two good songs on the album

i hate it because it's not that good, and people like you who say it's experimental and inventive, when to me it's trite and boring trash, well that only makes me angrier.

There are a lot of song structures that are legitimately odd. Chemistry has been getting a lot of hate, but the way it mashes up dancehall with Zeppelin-style rock is really unusual, especially alongside the time changes. The way Infinite Content goes from being a punk song into a faux-country ballad was also really shocking the first time I heard it.

It's not so much that nothing on here has never been done before, but the genre scavenging and wild tempo/stylistic changes hasn't been done this effectively since Beck in the 90s on Midnite Vultures. That it manages to bounce between so many aesthetics while still being cohesive (at least to my ears) is really impressive. I also find the Everything Now sweet almost proggy in a way that feels unusual these days. It's not Achtung Baby or Kid A, but I can't think of any other band attempting something like this.

>inventive and experimental albums
>DUDE DISCO INDIE LMAO
youtube.com/watch?v=wBavrE3as4M

I could see how the lyrics could ruin it for you, but they really don't bother me. I'm not sure what kind of album Arcade Fire could conceivably make at this point without generating enormous backlash at least from the American hipster press. The British press has been much more positive so far. There's something about this band people just want to tear down.

>genre scavenging and wild tempo/stylistic changes hasn't been done this effectively since Beck in the 90s
what about archandroid?

Dude I get that mashing up disco and indie is hardly new at this point. I'm talking more about the songwriting risks and the other genre mixing they did on the album. I don't know any other bands making albums like this right now.

I haven't listened to that in a while, I'll give it another listen. Either way, it's not like nobody has done this; it just seems brave for a newly minted major label rock band. I'm just saying that at a time rock often feels bereft of ideas, it's nice to see a band try with the real risk of failure.

it's annoying that commercially successful bands that dress in jangly costumes or clothes that look like peter pan as a D.C. intern on an acid trip want to lecture me on consumer culture or the current state of society
they were always pretentious, but how their so far up their own asses they're risking disappearing from this corporeal dimension

There's nothing to get. It's just a bad album.

I don't know, I think given how poptimist music culture has gotten, as with Father John Misty, pretension feels almost refreshing. Most indie musicians go above and beyond to show how cool they are with Justin Bieber or whatever that's is nice to have at least one band that doesn't want to do that.

/damagecontrolgeneral/

> I actually think it's one of the most inventive and experimental albums from a major rock band in a long time, at least an 8/10
radiohead already did that on a moon shaped pool
try again buddy.

>as with Father John Misty, pretension feels almost refreshing
if you're good maybe, otherwise it's annoying and you look like an asshole, and let me tell you buddy, this ain't good.

is there a decent rip out now?

Eh, I think Sup Forums (and most of everyone else) are probably diving straight to conclusions after one listen, or at least speaking in absolutes courtesy of a knee-jerk reaction. I'd be interested to see how the album holds up over time or with repeated plays but I'm not holding my breath. I think it's definitely the weakest addition to their catalog, that it features some of their worst lyrics to date, and that it's the most shallow album compared to anything else they've written. But that being said, I don't absolutely hate it. I wasn't expecting a Funeral 2.0 or a logical sequel to Neon Bible. The singles indicated that this would be an infectious pop record and that's basically what it is. Something to put on and drive to vs. pensively listening to at home. I don't think there's a single moment on the album that requires a moment to breathe or reflect... it almost plays like a Greatest Hits album. It's a really weird notch in the band's belt and nowhere near AOTY, but I think a few more people could have fun with it if they let loose and accept that this isn't really the same band.

There was FLAC and 320 the moment it leaked...?

*loosen up

OP is unironically correct. If there was ever such a thing as a 'pleb filter', it's this, and Sup Forums are the plebs.

but i read reports that it's a shitty rip even though it has the right quality. like something was wrong with the mixing or whatever.

The original leak was ripped from vinyl. Most of the bass sounds blown out as shit (especially in Peter Pan).

Didn't know this, thank you. My one listen seemed fine but I also didn't strap on the quality cans. I'll revisit a new leak closer to release date.

You don't judge music in a vaccumn. Their past work has ranged from great to decent. If there was the debut of some pop band, it wouldn't bevthat bad. But it's not.

>it's an "an acclaimed artist suddenly decides to go for the disco sound and fails miserably" episode

seriously, when did this ever not backfire? only cases I can think of, where it worked, are Madonna and maybe Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

So you're tilting your perception of objective notes and songwriting, in the present, based off prior recordings? Got it.

Truuu

It's also just more in vogue now than its ever been. Daft Punk RAM also comes to mind.

>implying they failed miserably

Uh, yeah. That's kind of what you do. Contexlualize a release with an artist's past discography.

I don't hate it. It's their worst album though.

Post a link to the leak you faggots

controversial opinion: Signs of Life is good

anyone have a mega of the leak? archive doesnt have anything

I like it too.

I didn't like it at first but it's really grown on me. Creature Comfort is right on the border of abrasive and pop, it's great too.

Electric Blue on the other hand is like being raped in your earholes. When will this Regine can sing meme end? In small doses like Sprawl II it's ok, but that song. jesus christ

predict pitchfork score

The synths are actually pretty good in that song kinda reminds me of the reflector album, the vocals are horrible though

Put Your Money On Me sounds like their most genuine song since Wake Up probably. It might be in the major grand piano chords but there is something about the vocal delivery there. Soty.

this desu

p4k made them big in the first place (like Broken Social Scene), It will get the token 8.2-8.4 BNM because they don't want to pan them.

I hear Chemistry is the worst thing Arcade Fire has ever done. Is that true?

The soundtrack they made for "her" is amazing, I was hoping the new album would sound like that

Official HOT TAKES.

1. Disco was a mistake. However, if they continued to death with that Baroque Pop aesthetic, they'd be out of the game by now.

2. It's a very disappointing album. However, because it's Arcade Fire, that feeling of familiarity glosses it a little. If this was released by some literal-who band, I wouldn't listen to it twice.

3. The concept and promotional campaign is better than the actual music.

4. Regine is a terrible vocalist, the mixing just makes it intolerable. Electric Blue is horrendous.

5. The grandoise feeling of an Arcade Fire album is sort of lacking here. The other Arcade Fire albums felt like watching a film, this felt like a collection of songs.

6. Lyrics somehow got even worse than Reflektor.

7. The title track is really really good. If all the songs were of this standard, it would have been a great LP.

8. Put Your Money On Me sounds like fucking ABBA, is massively overrated. Signs of Life, which got shit on by absolutely everyone, is massively underrated.

9. Chemistry is the worst Arcade Fire song. Even worse than Modern Man. Even worse that I Give You Power. Hilariously bad.

10. Arcade Fire are still one of the best live acts in music today.

Worse than I give you power?

Dear god

>Even worse than Modern Man

the fuck? that song is generally regarded as one of the best tracks on the suburbs

YOU AND ME WE GOT CHEMISTRY

BABY YOU AND ME

WE GOT CHEMISTRY

YOU AND ME

BABY

CHEMISTRY

CHEMISTRY

Yeah that's why the yeah yeah yeahs are so popular today. Right?

At least Broken Social Scene never rested on their laurels or make a nu-disco travesty.

I wonder is there any memebers in the band who arnt happy with this direction would be interesting to know

when they released it's blitz they were really popular and it was regarded their best album by a lot of people and publications. they probably fell off because they always take so long between albums and mosquito was kind of meh. But who says the same won't happen to AF?
win seems like the billy corgan type so i don't think anyone can change the direction

13 tracks, 4 are fillers, 4 are horrendous, 3 are really good, 2 are meh

>it was regarded their best album by a lot of people and publications
What? When people thinks yyys they think fever to tell (maps in particular), their s/t ep and is is.

How'd you hear it all, on YouTube?

It's one of the best songs, don't really get the hate for it. Chemistry, Peter Pan and both of Infinite Content are legitimately bad, though.

did you miss when heads will roll was literally a mainstream radio hit?

Pls post a link

320 rar I found on reddit

Peter Pan sounds like some cheap Age of Adz knockoff, Chemistry is just disgusting from beginning to end, Good God Damn recycles a Reflektor guitar riff that it wasn't even good in the first place and I can't stand Regine's voice in Electric Blue

I can't even imagine how bad electric blue sounds live

These aren't "HOT TAKES". These are a collection of observations and opinions that many on this board will already agree with.

Peter Pan and Chemistry really bring the album to a full stop halfway through. Remove those 2 songs and the album is way better.

Also remove Infinite Content and the intro/outro.
Oh, wait, now you've got a 20 min EP.

There is no fucking way this album gets BNM. 8.2-8.4 sounds reasonable though.

There was interviews were they said they had too many songs written for this album and had to decide what to leave out

peter pan through infinite content is the worst 4 song stretch on any album this year.

Agreed. Great track vocals are so harsh sounding.

That's the only good song on the album, though.

you know a band has nothing left to say when they start using "la la la" and "na na na" instead of actual lyrics

>wake up

This will be the first Arcade Fire LP to not get best new album from Pitchfork. It will get a 7.2 only because the reviewer will be too kind to go any lower.

Then the songs that they left out must be horrifying, if somehow Chemistry/Infinite Content are better than them.

Yeah I was thinking that, I've heard chemisty live on YouTube and it sounds Garbage

I hope so.

is this their king of limbs?

I don't think so, only because Everything Now is a popular single and they just signed with a major label. It might be their King of Limbs in the sense that the album is more popular with "normal" people than people who regularly read music criticism. The Radiohead songs from TKOL killed way more than I expected when I saw them live last year.

what they tried to do in this album of montreal already did better with hissing fauna and skeletal lamping

The FLAC was ~320kbps quality, but it was just mixed low. As in, too quiet. Give each track the right amount of gain to reach close to 0.0dB and everything sounds fantastic.

Arcade Fire have always sounded like try-hards to me, but I *loved* alot of this album! Least favorites were strangely symmetric on the album: the weak-ass 1-2 punches of "Everything Now" w/ "Signs of Life" in the beginning, and "Put Your Money on Me" w/ "We Don't Deserve Love" at the end (The latter was decent but *way* too long).