There hasn't been an actual classic across any genre in the last 10 years

Nothing held up, be truthful to yourself and realize this; a classic has no flaws whatsoever and any project in the last 10 years possess them. A further issue is the vacuum of excitement that mediocre or just simply 'good' and not excellent projects gain. There always has to be a huge project to capture peoples excitement with at the end of every year, and this has lead to much more blatant critic bait in every sense of the word. People who simply aren't as passionate about topics that they would like to be discussing them for clout and reverence.

Everything became the music version of 12 years a slave because these artists know that if the music spoke for itself nobody would give a shit and would judge it for what it is.

This isn't just a "social current issues invaded my music and i hate it" thread, it's the lack of passion that gets rewarded for things like that, that i find an issue. It's hilarious how natural this used to be done, Bowie and Prince and the likes had talent oozing out whilst sharing their views, everything today just feels like childplay in comparison yet is actually getting rewarded; this is why music is so easy to forget nowadays.

Other urls found in this thread:

mcraigculbertson.bandcamp.com/
mega.nz/#F!H0gUCarJ!7cgFe8d4pRPgI0bKdqlZDQ
youtube.com/watch?v=jfaW-yD7DoA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophical_burden_of_proof
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7Yn92lHurYNJ24Xur6MwRRvNR1pprem_
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>a classic has no flaws whatsoever
Stopped reading there.

>this is why music is so easy to forget nowadays.
Stopped reading there.

In b4 "but there was tons of bad music in the past it was just forgotten and only the good stuff was remembered xD"

How the fuck can anything be considered a classic less than 10 years after it's been released? Music, or anything really, needs some time to sink in before you can call it a classic.

This is true though.

benji

Whether you like it or not has no bearing on its classic status. I don't like TPAB or MBDTF for example but they will definitely go down as classics in the genre of hip-hop

>TPAB
>not GKMC
go home pitchfork drone

I don't care about Kendrick, TPAB is the one I see posted more often. They'll both probably be considered classics anyway

This album is 10/10 and deserves to be a classic, but sadly I don't think it will become one

It's sort of true, but factors such as the difficult nature of funding, recording, and distribution, plus highly profitable record labels gave music a level of quality control both on the mainstream and independent level, that has gone out the window. There is without a doubt more garbage being produced than ever on account of the barrier to entry being lower than ever.

This shitty argument also fallaciously assumes that only good music is remembered and only bad music is forgotten. There are an endless number of forgotten composers from the baroque era, indistinguishable from Bach and Händel, at least to the layman, if you take care to look into the music of the era (Franz Benda, Giovanni Platti, Johann David Heinechen, Johann Adolph Hasse, etc.).

in my heart it will always be a huge classic :-)

thats all that matters!

sounds like you're just getting old OP. bound to happen eventually.

If a classic has no flaws, there are no classics. Simple as. Everything is flawed to at least someone, and that to me makes art art. An album that's pure silence for half an hour is technically a perfect album, with no flaws. That doesn't make it good, it doesn't venture anywhere it just stays still. Any album that explores some sound whatsoever has flaws.

Kinda confused by this. P4k gave GKMC a higher rating than TPAB.

>An album that's pure silence for half an hour is technically a perfect album

have one on me

melodrama will be a classic screencap this

came out 10 years, 8 months ago.

checkmate

you daft cunt

Hint: maybe a classic does exist but you haven't heard it yet because it lacks promotion and indie hype.

>Hint: maybe a classic does exist but you haven't heard it yet because it lacks promotion and indie hype.
How is that supposed to help anyone?

How new are you?
It means you might have to look beyond what gets promoted and hyped up to find a classic.

>It means you might have to look beyond what gets promoted and hyped up to find a classic.
You're still talking hypotheticals. Name of these hidden gems.

Wrong, it can't be a classic if it didn't have a massive cultural impact.

lol what is Vu & nico

idiot

>idiot

>is an outstanding example of a particular style; something of lasting worth or with a timeless quality; of the first or highest quality, class, or rank – something that exemplifies its class. The word can be an adjective (a classic car) or a noun (a classic of English literature). It denotes a particular quality in art, architecture, literature, design, technology, or other cultural artifacts. In commerce, products are named 'classic' to denote a long-standing popular version or model, to distinguish it from a newer variety.
Exmillitary
Helplessness Blues
Good Kid M.A.A.D. City
To Be Kind
MBDTF
In Rainbows
Person Pitch
Sound of Silver
Untrue
Merriweather Post Pavilion

And I bet I'm missing some other greater examples

>Helplessness Blues
>Person Pitch
>Sound of Silver

Why dont you just post in r/indieheads?

>spoonfeed me
No, you'll be a drone your whole life if you let others decide the canon for you.

>No, you'll be a drone your whole life if you let others decide the canon for you.
I'm not asking you to decide canon for me, I'm asking you what these hypothetical classics are since you're having trouble naming them.

check out this classic plunderphonics

mcraigculbertson.bandcamp.com/

>Why dont you just post in r/indieheads?
I'm not the one who thinks those three pitchforkcore flavor of the week albums are classics.

Richard Dawson - Peasant
mega.nz/#F!H0gUCarJ!7cgFe8d4pRPgI0bKdqlZDQ
Here's one.

Replace Helplessness Blues with Crack-Up and we have a deal

>all released over 6 years ago
>still talked about today
>"flavour of the week"
reannley mad m,e ththhingngk;kk

>Richard Dawson - Peasant
You're baiting right?
youtube.com/watch?v=jfaW-yD7DoA

If an album can have something this plain on it and be a classic, then sure I guess there's thousands of classic albums in the last 10 years

>plain
Not hearing it, raise me a classic or explain

He's fucking with you because you keep begging to be spoonfed, you autist

>raise me a classic
Are you confused? The whole point of this thread is that there are no modern (~10 year) classics.

>He's fucking with you because you keep begging to be spoonfed, you autist
When did I ask to be spoonfed?

What was the last classic album?

Hybrid Theory and Meteora will stand the test of time.

The barrier to entry is having a big circle of friends and access to moving them. God forbid label owners and concert promotions do their jobs, so the artist is relied on to do the job of songwriter, performer, producer, graphic artist, concert promoter, web designer, distribute and social media wizard who's go the scoop.

If you don't have the financial or human capital to delegate all of these tasks yourself, you don't even have a point of entry.

The fact remains that all of the canonic rock stars from yesteryear (the so-called golden age of the recording industry) were rudimentary in ability at best, their songs almost completely reliant on context (as opposed to universally appealing musical ideas and lyrical themes) and the music not even fun to dance to.

not him/her but this is my vote

epic epic epic oh my god im literally screaming *laughing face with tears emoji*

what the fuck

I'm not joking but ok.

sorry but your post is wrong

2 WORDS

IN

RAINBOWS

Those two didn't even stand the years they came out in.

another example

and another

hi resident advisor

if this isnt a classic i dont know what the fuck is

Sound of Silver is one with the biggest potencial to become a classic there, and Helplessness Blues is one of the best prog folk albums in decades, you're a fucking pleb

>tfw people think they know what people in the future will like
lel

>Helplessness Blues
>prog folk
Can you at least pretend to know what you're talking about?

12 years

Dude, Where's Your Argument?

>Dude, Where's Your Argument?
Burden of proof is on you. In what world is Fleet Foxes 'prog folk'?

H-has it really been this long user?

omfg you're comment was lit asf user im dead

>assuming I'm the person you're responding to
helloooooo reddit

It doesn't matter if you're the person I'm replying to, burden of proof still isn't on me.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophical_burden_of_proof

And no one pays any attention to the new sea of garbage (depending on your definition of garbage). None of the thousands of trash wannabe producers and struggle rappers will ever come close to being relevant, and even the most popular soundcloud fuckboys like X and lil pump will be forgotten in a year at most.

And if the overall quality of the music industry is so important to you, why not get involved yourself? Make music if you can, market for really good artists that you want to hear more of, etc.

a big yes to both of these.

This. OP will forever be a faggot.

Ok. So things are considered classics due to the passage of time and how their quality trancends time. Classics are based on how influential they are to artists around that time as well.

whew im glad i have a sense of harmony

In hiphop My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. Kendrick TPAB is contrived shit due to the societal atmosphere. Literal fucking meme shit it's so bad.

In rock Swans - To be Kind/The Seer/The Glowing Man

In pop Carly Rae Jepsen - EMOTION, Jai Pauls leaked album, Animal collective

In indie Cloud Nothings Attack on Memory and whatever else fills this shit genre

In country sturgil and jason isbell. Anything Jason Isbell has done this decade is great. Doesn't get enough exposure.

Cool opinion

>thinks indie is a genre and then mentions a punk album

>thinks indie isn't a genre
??

Anyway here's the only classic modern punk album.

its ok
high is better but maybe not punk
viet cong is a stone cold classic though

>high
What's that?

VU&Nico did have a massive cultural impact eventually.

>dumb frogposter
>screenshot from Instagram

royal headache record
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7Yn92lHurYNJ24Xur6MwRRvNR1pprem_

>>dumb frogposter

As much as you may not care for it, this has become a classic due to it's meme status.

i tend to think all of indie is just indie rock. Which is why i listed Cloud Nothings. And i think you listed said Veit Cong. Which another great album

gad damnit TPAB was shit

what is the last album you consider to be a classic

>There
Stopped reading there.

i saw them a few weeks ago at a tiny club. they were working their own merch booth. a very small crowd stayed after and they talked to everybody.

its sad that they aren't a bigger deal.

>There hasn't been an actual classic across any genre in the last 10 years.

i really think this will be remembered as a classic