I don't get it

I don't get it.

Other urls found in this thread:

vimeo.com/119867163
youtube.com/watch?v=z790cSvbRQo
youtube.com/watch?v=nOYVpQhMZYE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

its a shit movie

but since it has same director and actor from Drive the fanboys think its Drive 2 or some shit. its a gay movie though so is Drive

dude neon lmao

>needing a movie to have a Hallmark-card-certified "message" to be able to enjoy it
Form your own meaning, this isn't a Spielberg flick

Wanna fight?

his hands were dirty

He killed his real father, he still has unresolved father issues so he wants to kill his god. He tries and fails so they both settle for the evil mother and his metaphorical arms.

This nonsense is so inorganic to any sense of globetrotter restlessness or anything explicitly or metaphorically to do with British or American colonialism that it just feels derivative. That Kubrickian scene in Drive of dead-eyed strippers watching an assault gets extended here in a more elaborate whorehouse sequence where catatonic hookers bear mute witness to instances of police corruption. Refn’s tableau of organdy-gowned call-girls listening to pop while watching violence in a bouquet-bedecked whorehouse is the ultimate David Lynch parody.

Gosling and Refn have art ambitions–a strange sense of fun. But how can film culture progress with fantasies like this? There’s no shock or outrage left. Refn relies upon a level of menace (unerotic, non-provocative) that precludes caring about or responding to violence, vulnerability, mortality. This is cinema for unsophisticated viewers who don’t already know Bunuel’s eye-slashing, Altman’s Coke bottle assault or Shakespeare/Julie Taymor’s Titus. Children of Kubrick, Friedkin, Lynch and Tarantino, they remain infantile about movies.

people who have notepad files of movie review/opinion pasta should kill themselves

Style over Substance > all

refn's interior tracking shots through hallways are particularly instructive on how effectively using space has less to do with, well, just using it, and more with connecting spaces and imbuing them with concepts, moods and conflict. even worse, refn's arrogant confidence in his ability leads to endless moving camera moments that fail to convey anything. With nearly no dialogue aside from kristin scott thomas' laughable, vulgar exclamation her character is neither the intimidating source of oedipal desire nor the comic relief it seems refn was intending her to be. the film’s trashy setting and even trashier attitude is, I suppose, an attempt at digging into something gritty and dark and exploiting it for effect. instead, refn's pretension to transcend this trashiness is an exposing failure. the over-calculated visual ideas (embarrassingly, actors repeatedly walk to the center of the frame, in slow motion no less, and turn their head toward the camera), the dark sense of humour buried beneath the film's layers of self-seriousness, the lack of dynamism either within or between images, all add up to a film that is less than the sum of its already paltry parts

absolute garbage. LOOK AT ME MOMMY I MAKE A DAVID LYNCH MOVIE
NOTTTTT

There's a reason why capitalization is a thing, Jamal.

how gay your life must be how gay your life must be

He literally said what it was about. A man and his struggle against god.

>implying making a david lynch movie is a good thing and to be striven for

Does this help user

i didn't get it either
another shitty film Sup Forums baited me into watching

pleb

Bodybuilder scene was GOAT

still better than semon demon

I torrented and because of that I'm not sure if the Thai was intentionally unsubbed.

I liked that this guy was the hero. Gosling and his cronies are the villains. Effectively, were seeing the movie through the eyes of henchemen as their crime syndicate is dismantled by a supercop.

Forgot pic

he was such a fucking cuck in that movie i regret watching it
he got everyone around him killed and he lost his hand like a little bitch

I watched only god forgives enemy and lost highway

only god forgives was shit. its all style and artistically and autiscially meh. its ok to zone out to but it no meat, no kin

I think Refn's movies are meant to be more 'visceral experience' works of art and not so much narrative-based cinema. Which is why it's all ambience and not story driven.

TAKE A LOOK AT THESE HANDS

its a story about a man who is repressed sexually and due to choices hes made as well as those made to him must deal with a situation involving the mother who sexually abused him and the god he felt abandoned him

TAKE IT OOOOOOOOOOOOOFF

Movies don't need meat

believe me im not a plot fag but refn is a shit director, theres nothing to care about

to expand its moreso his characters fucking suck monkey dick, he might as well actually just use mannequins

What's the one on the right?

OGF>Val Ris/Drive>Neon D>FearX>Bronson

Pusher trilogy and bleeder are fun, low budgeted college-tier narratives.

Fear x is the only refn film i haven't watched. Should i do it tonight lads?

if only god forgives is his best and i agree its better than drive, then refn is a shitty director

And his Gucci ad?

vimeo.com/119867163

It's not very good, even if you get it.

It looks great though.

Yes definitely

He makes whatever he wants regardless of the critical backlash over the years, unconventional narratives that usually lack clearly laid out exposition/resolution. He's not for everybody, just like Lynch isn't for everybody.

disgusting. it all makes sense, hes a hack who should be making commericals

What is there not to get? It's a really straight forward movie that is intended to be visually appealing.

Even if you like it, don't pretend it's really straight forward.

It is though. There's nothing deep about it.

thats why its aggravating

You need to relax

I personally like it for that reason. That's what the man likes to make. His movies aren't hard to understand, but the way they are presented make people look for more. I guess that is why people don't like what he makes sometimes. It gives off the impression of something with more meaning.

I'm not saying it's deep, it's just not straight forward. Most people will think:
>Why is the cop invincible??
>Why is his mom acting that way??
>What's up with the hands motif??
>wtf I thought this movie was going to be Bloodsport + A Better Tomorrow + Drive

>LITERAL SCENES IN AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT LANGUAGE WITHOUT SUBS AND NO CONTEXT OR A DECENT HANDFUL OF CLOSEUPS IS STRAIGHTFORWARD

So I'm on GMT +1 here.
Let me get this straight.
In the morning Sup Forums hates OGF but in the evening no?

Who posts now? Americans?

its 540am in america eastern time zone so not americans

that's because cinema is a visual medium and refn it's a good director.
If you arent an ADHD millenial and actually pay attention to the movie, you'll get it trough only visuals.
Most of those scenes were just there to portray GOD relationship with parenthood and his tribe (the other cops) and to get how he felt about those you actually dont need any dialogues

>Why is the cop invincible?

He's the action hero. We're in HIS movie. Like how Bruce Willis or Jackie Chan are invincible in their movies.

I'm in the Southern Hemisphere

It's deliberate. You're not meant to understand them. We're fish out of water.

Here you go, OP.

youtube.com/watch?v=z790cSvbRQo

youtube.com/watch?v=nOYVpQhMZYE

Required viewing for all Refn fans and people in this thread.

You know that have no impacts whatsoever on your time, right?

Santa Sangre

I just meant I'm not in America as per 's comment

oh. For some reason I always postpone watching more from Jodo and I didn't know.
Thank user.