Why Does The U.K. Still Have These?

Seriously, what economic benefits do these islands bring? UK explain please i never learned much about these due to bad american education. well i at least know you probably got these during colonialism, but why keep them?

Other urls found in this thread:

redfernnaturalhistory.com/documentaries/uk-overseas-territories-series/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

why do you keep american samoa and marshall islands? guam too? also the ones tat used to be japanese

Two of their caribbean ones are close to getting independence. Anguilla and Montserrat. A few years away.

cayman islands are a tax haven

ascencion is used for miltary or something

gibraltar is holiday destination, well most of them are

land on cyprus is military

because we dont trust china, they are like the front lines if china or one of the other asain coutnry gets ballsy and tries to attack us. Our main goal when fighting a war is to keep it off of US ground. We dont like our people dying. But i wouldve assumed that but most of these islands arent even near th UK and arent reasonable to keep if its a matter of national security.

Spain so cucked they won't even take back Gibraltar.

isnt cyprus greek and turkish though, and isnt it poor as hell and very crime ridden?

exclusive economic zone is 200 miles radius which means that every single gas mine or oil mine found in that territory belong to UK.

that post was meant for you

If we didn't run them then some Ooga Booga country would

but most of them are in carribean which are surrounded by another island 50 miles away thats non-british and also oil drilling in carribean is very uncommon and isnt really done.

Yup. Remember that Argentina.

They are gonna need somewhere to resettle once operation "Allah never saw it coming" commences.

Most of them are tax havens

Cyprus is where elites in Russia and other former USSR offshore their stolen money before investing in london real estate etc

France has the largest EEZ out of all countries because of all their little islands

lol, but they are all very small and would problably only be able to hold like 5k people at most.

>everything is about money

Yep you're a burger alright. Fuck history, tradition, culture, blood, and whatnot. It's all money. Thats the only important thing. Who cares if Ahmed Mohammed is your prime minister? Hes rich!

force projection

Its about tax competition: The governments of the world can tell their people "oh lawdy if we dont make lesser taes for the rich people they will just leave to caymn islands or some other tax haven". But in reality they control these islands and could get rid of them easily. Its just another ripoff of the small man.

You never give away territory

>France has the largest EEZ
not yet i believe, but soon

eventually the oil will run out and they will start searching for those. Also they can make military bases there in the future.

The sun never sets on our empire

but all of the carribean countries are not threatening and also its too risky using those as bases, the communists spics are near by

for strategic military purpose.

Full of nigs and volcanoes. Best to get rid desu

Falklands are for pissing off the Argies
Ascension is for refuelling on the way to fighting the Argies
Gibraltar is for pissing off the Dagoes
Caribbean islands are for stashing our cash
Pitcairn is so that the sun never sets on the British Empire

but from what ive learned why not fuck the nigs over and just use the islands for eez and drill oil and shit?

Gibraltar to piss of Spain
Bermuda and most Caribbean Islands for tax havens
Montserrat for Volcano
Cyprus bases for overseas base
Falklands to piss of Argies and also oil
South Georgia for ice and rocks
Islands off West Africa for tax havens and good views
Indian Ocean Territory for more land to force natives off
Pitcairn because somebody has to have them

Pitcairn is also full of pedos

ascension island has the coolest name of all islands

because why the fuck not

Brits don't like letting the sun set

It's so we can tell Americans there's still an Empire
God save our gracious queen
Long live our noble queen
God save the queen
Send her victorious
Happy and glorious
Long to reign over us
God save the queen

It's true, today is another nice sunny day in the British colony of New Zealand.

You're not a colony, you're a Dominion it's a bit different

>tfw until 2004 our supreme court was in London

Don't forget that pitcairn has like a population of 50 people. They're so desperate that they'll let anyone move there.

Is there something wrong with the Pitcairn Islands besides shitty internet?

>Colonialism is bad

Why isn't there a free travel and citizen arrangement between all commonwealth citizens?

Any commonwealth citizen should be able to live/work in Australia, NZ, Canada, British Africa UK, India, All those Islands

>should be able to live live/work
I agree
>Africa, India
My shitposter senses are going off

If they claim Gibraltar then Morocco will claim the enclaves in North Africa.

I'd move to the Pitcairns, looks comfy

Strategic islands just in case Best Korea thinks they are superman and sends a bunch of nukes. Guam has a huge military base.

There's a documentary series that goes to all of the overseas territories.
Only had 500-1000 views per video despite travelling to all of these locations.
Type in
Redfern Natural History

plz don't make me cry user

Wrong.

Eez does not govern gas/oil.

It's continental shelf.

Regards,
Autist

redfernnaturalhistory.com/documentaries/uk-overseas-territories-series/

Thank you Australia, I will look at it. When you don't shitpost you make great contributions

We still have them because america is too afraid to try and take them. They know full well we would decimate their worthless and pathetic troops. Don't they train you Americans to run away? kek, it worked in Vietnam.

There there user, no tears now. Be strong.

Clearly islands are strategic for military and trade routes. They usually aren't much good for anything else.

They are like giant aircraft carriers that can not move, but also can not be sunk. Not seeing the value of having military launching points around the world is pretty dumb.

Says who? When did that bloody start?

I think he's bullshitting m8 - of any of them Bermuda is probably the closest since it has the biggest population.

People still can't live on half of Montserrat because of the eruption years ago

Wasn't like half the island evacuated? It's never getting it's independence

Malvinas, Georgias y Sandwich del sur Argentinas!

Yeah, it was a while ago and the place is still fucked up from it. They're stuck with us whether they like it or not :^)

My 7th great grandfather was hung by Whigs for being a loyalist to Britain. I can't judge a man that was much better than me. His grandson my 5th greatfather was a Confederate soldier and I actually know what he thought. My line is riddled by defeat.