Linguist here, AMA

Linguist here, AMA

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/NSFW_WITH_LOVE/comments/4iwm02/megan_rain_18_year_old_step_sister_fuck/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_Poland
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Are you a cunning linguistic?

Are you from michigan?

no
Do you mean cunning linguist?

>+20kreds to your account
>3 points to Hufflepuff!

bravo!

who is the girl on the pic OP?

which country are you from?

What languages do you speak?

KEKKKKKK

How much of it is drudgery? Do you get any memorable jobs?

What language has the hardest grammar to grasp (in regards to syntax usage) that is also a power in the U.N?

German girl that posted here once I can answer your qs with her pics/ dump her set

English
Kekistani
Chinese (Mandarin)
Polish

But its more common for linguists to speak only 1

so the pic in the original post is the same as in the post I am replying to right now? just thought the girl in the topmost pic looked familiar, but the face seems different in the second pic in this post i am replying to.

i studied linguistics, too. how does everybody ask what languages we speak? it'snot like we LEARN languages in linguistics, it's about dissecting and understanding how language works

Ok so a linguist told me, that if you want to learn a language, you have to learn from your native language. But I don't really have that option, since my native is not english, I want to learn some scandinavian and I don't want to pay shit. Is possible? What obstacles do I need to be really aware of? Slovardia here

Very little of it actually, the current job I have involves me travelling through SE Asia writing reports on minority languages. I did translation for a bit and that was nothing but drudgery

Depends on your native language and the language you;re trying to learn.

Of the permanent UN members Chinese is heavily syntax reliant

Yes they're both the same girl, just a different camera/ lighting

Also because people think linguistics = studying languages not studying how language works

No, that is just not true at all, you can use your second language to learn a third, in fact it helps you learn the second language better.

Scandanvian? Which language do you mean? But general advice, on a budget, would be learn the Target language to Elementary/ Pre Int through online resources/ library books having a few lessons etc then moving to the country getting a part time job and interacting with the people

Yeah, because it makes you think about both languages I guess. The person who told me this, is smart though. At first I was thinking Swedish, but I really REALLY dislike their "integration politics" and all the edgy leftist bullcrap, so I opted out for Norwegian, even though I'm not 100% sure yet. What do you think of Memrise and Duolingo and such? Yay or nay?

ergf

reddit.com/r/NSFW_WITH_LOVE/comments/4iwm02/megan_rain_18_year_old_step_sister_fuck/

Why did you study such an useless profession?

WHO IS THIS

You are an immature idiot, go awey

That sounds like a weird mix - why does a polack decide to learn chinese?

what do you think of the integration of Muslims (mainly Pakistani) in English speaking countries? do you think it'll go the way of Spain and the Moors, where we just interchange vocabularies? or with the world as connected as it is, and as many people learning languages faster and more easily than ever in history, do you think it's possible for this exchange anymore?

Not OP but memrise is great

No I'm serious, pls tell me why you would study something that's so fluid and regional.
I mean - the only real interesting thing is how did todays language evolve and that's mostly discovered and explained.

If you start with learning Danish, swedish or norwegian aren't too different. Denmark also has the most conservative immigration policy if you're worried about that.
Or learn Icelandic and try to become one of the sub 300k ppl living there.
Like 300k. On the whole island.

keyword there is mostly. there's still so much we don't know about the origins of many languages, the tree just keeps going. even more than that, it's some Linguists' jobs to document minority languages around the world to ensure they aren't lost.

Well, anything is better than nothing but they're not great so I wouldn't prioritize them. Anki is the best for memorizing things but its a bit of a grind.

If I were to guess the person who told you that probably means you shouldn't do instruction only in the language you want to study which was/is massively fashionable but it's faster to learn the grammar in a language you already know. Maybe they only speak 1 langauge and misspoke but I don't know.

I don't really know enough about Slovenian to give specific grammar advice for both but general advice would be keep at it and keep motivation high.

Got a job immediately after, well payed, interest etc.

I'm English but lots of Polish people learn Chinese because the Chinese government will pay you to move there and study it. Also alot of people like it

Because of how language moves now the internet has a bigger effect on our vocabularies, the efffects will probably stay regional and likely be minimal in regards to muslims although ghettoisation is changing accents.
The only thing I foresee really is everyone speaking English and integrating parts of their accent into the Non native English they speak.

My grillfriend has a PhD in linguistics. She does not use linguistics for her profession, do you?

A lot of the documentation is actually so they get lost. The motivations depend on the government/organisations you work for

The internet is an amazing thing, and I'm sure that, at some point, the way we talk online could be considered its own dialect of English (even its own language if it lasts that long.)
also it's pretty obvious that English is the latest Lingua Franca, but what do you think the next one's gonna be? can we even tell at this point?

>I'm English
That just raises even more questions - don't get me wrong, i appreciate that people learn languages and stuff, but why polish? I would have learned russian instead because to me russian and polish are pretty alike with the difference that you can speak russian in poland, but not polish in russia.

What are your thoughts on the dangers of voice recognition and computer speech?

Yes heavily I've been a translator, a teacher, a lecturer and now I write reports about "minority" langauges.
Where did your gf do her PhD and what did she specialize in where does she lvie and what does she do now?

We can tell, it's going to stay English (but maybe not in its current form)due to money resources and infastructure, they'd have to be something like a world war to change it completely

You cant really Russian in Poland, who told you that? Only really the very old or educated speak "some" russian and alot resent it

Also Russian and Polish are very different culturally, pragmatically and linguistically. Learnt it because I have many Polish friends.

>You cant really Russian in Poland, who told you that?
Don't beat me with a stick for referencing wikipedia.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_Poland
>Languages of Poland
>English (33%) [2]
>Russian (26%) [no source...]
I would have guessed it would have been higher though. I just made a guess because some people i know learned russian while they were occupied by the soviets.

I know very little about it, Care to outline some of the dangers?

how did you get your current job? I've been wanting to get into linguistics work or a while, but I never know what to look for.
also, which do you think was more influential: Moors in Spain or the English/French fuck-fest?

Didn't mean to be so blunt. 26% Yeah that is strangely high especially with no source. Yeah Wikipedia isn't great for many things.

Friends and connections also publishing good papers and attending conferences. I'm pretty biased here but I'd say England/ France especially as the languages ran in parallel for the aristocracy and the commoners resulting in 2 different words for most foods etc. If you're interested I recommend Crystals book the Encylopedia of English. Also I know little about the Moors

As for wanting to get into linguistics, what exactly do you want to do?

I don't entirely understand her/your field. She studis copuler contraction. I don't want to disclose where she studied. She is doing market research at the moment.

I would agree with you for the English/French.
I want to do basically what you do. going to different places with minority languages/endangered languages and documenting them so they don't fall to the wayside. I like the idea of immortalising that part of a culture. as long as the language doesn't die, the people won't. (in an idealistic sense, at least)

Some companies have been developing software that they hope will be able to recreate peoples voices. So they input a bunch of sentences spoken by an individual and through machine learning it'll splice and dice everything and ideally you can just type a text out and you wouldn't recognize real from fake.

Adobe just did a demo of their software. This kind of software is still in its infancy in terms of ease of use but they are capable of doing some pretty crazy manipulations which is the scary part.

The technology is useful though for people who can't speak and use those speech machines instead. People can donate their voice so that a person can have a voice that most resembles their own.

Anyways, look into it, it's interesting from a linguistic and philosophical point of vieww

How did human migration differentiate languages into what they are now? Why aren't we all speaking the same monkey language we left Africa with? Why are there countries that speak different languages despite communicating with each other for, like, thousands of years? Like the Germans and the French

Manipulation of voice? There's no danger to it unless you have a voice recognition passcode. And if you haven't switched to biometrics by now, your shit doesn't deserve to be secure.

Unfortunately most of the money is based on removing minority languages and cultures see China So it requires alot of networking and meeting the right people to get into language preservation. The only thing I can recommend is get your PhD somewhere top 100 Unis (minimum preferable top 20) network and join conferences etc God speed to you

You can see some of it in reverse now, we need words like computer and laptop but not Chine and Dene to differentiate steep and flat wooded areas, complie this over time with small groups moving and making small stylistic choices over time and you get different languages

Cheers user, will do.

Can't really help there too much, but your Uni will decide the contacts you have and your grades attitude and research prospects will decide how they will help you into fields and different areas

Alright, genuinely curious here. What is your opinion on the word "whom" and its continual decline into oblivion?

Man, for a linguist, use some commas and stuff, it's easier to decipher that way. How do you know I'm from Slovenia? I wrote Slovardia. Could be Slovakia. Imma check Anki near future too

If it was very useful it would be kept, its basically just a holdover from when people were trying to be like latin and mark who does what to whom more similarly to latin.

So I don't mind if it stays or dies

Hahaha I get that lot, yeah I tend to write as I speak so it's not perfect. I was just guessing I've never heard the word Slovadia

Source?

I'm kinda sad to hear that from a linguist. Cause I think it's a remarkably important piece of English grammar.

Yeah I agree,but I also like pugs but they wouldn't survive in the wild. If you like whom, use it and try to spread its use

How old are you, op? I'm a linguist and I work as an independent simultaneous interpreter. It's good but I've been thinking about doing something else as well. I'm 25 now.

I just haven't written any scientific papers since I got my Masters degree.

I'd recommend you start writing, it gets easier the more you do. Also they can take more than a year before thy're even accepted, 2 if you have to do lots and lots of revisions

I don't even know what to write about, honestly. But I can tell you that simultaneous interpretation is fucking amazing. Such an adrenalin rush.

Though I turned out to be more of a hands-on expert than a thinker who can make up a scientific paper.

Yeah I loved doing interpreting work too, could never get stable reliable work though. Well if you enjoy it keep doing it

By your post history, Ill assume you're a tits guy?

would you?

Not OP but Id certainly would if that count for something. Anymore pics?

yup,what want to see user

Any nudes? Love her body figure

Like full frontal nudes.

Where from user?

Still lurking user?

is there a link to the set?