A fucking coin toss decides their championship match

>a fucking coin toss decides their championship match

So does blowing a 25 point lead.

True, it had nothing to do with putting up 31 unanswered points

The team with the least amount of privilege should get the ball on the opponents 20.

It's the only way to address systemic and historic racism.

the only way to really settle it is to fly tom brady in and blindfold him and spin him around and have him throw footballs until one lands in a bucket on either side of the 50

Would be better than the current system.

Play some defense

Yeah, the patriots should have been forced to as well.

go to >> 74117843

Of only there were some way for the falcons to score points during regulation.

no, they shouldn't have. there's no overtime system where teams get a chance for a 'revenge score' anywhere and it's because that's a stupid and horrible idea and you are a stupid and horrible person for supporting it.

They did, holding Atlanta to 7 points for the entire half

>baseball

Seriously, you can't be this dumb. Oh wait, maybe you can be.

>implying it wasn't already decided months ago when the script was submitted

lol, except in baseball and probably soccer. i'm drunk, the pats just won #5 dude.

i still think give up touchdown = lose game is absolutely fair in overtime play.

Eh I've always disagreed with it but there have been plenty of times when I've seen a team defend the lost toss successfully.

A championship team should be able to defend it

Are you retarded?

They did, in the first half when they lost their coin toss

>there's no overtime system where teams get a chance for a 'revenge score' anywhere

What is college football?

Those are definitely synonymous kek

Why do so many Americans defend this shit? Is this board full of paid NFL shills?

a meme watched by southerners

At least they know how to do overtime correctly.

It makes. no. sense.

I didn't give a shit who won last night, but people justifying an overtime rule like that makes me rage.

It's like extra innings in baseball but if you hit a homerun in the top of the 10th, the game is over, other team doesn't get to bat.

Exactly.

the thing is with baseball is that the home team is guaranteed the last at-bats anyway; the 'overtime' rules basically kick in during regulation play (that time being the bottom of the ninth).

the equivalent would be: the away team gets another attempt at scoring runs if the home team scores. and that is stupid as hell.

>college football

their system guarantees a possession in a sport where that's never really a thing; a team could always onside kick instead of kick it away in OT, right?

with some arcade memery in OT?

WHy not just play a game of Horse with the kickers to decide it, or have a passing contest

you have 4 fucking quarters to win the game, if you lose the coin flip AND you're defense can't prevent a touchdown that's too fucking bad

Technically, this is the first OT in Superb Owl history, so there's not that many precedents. The ref did explain that they would play until there was a winner, which implied that field goals were not a guaranteed win, which was the case for a LONG time.

There had to be a winner and it came down to executed their plays better than the opposing team. If Atlanta was a championship team, their defense would have shown it, granted, they were about as beat as a Tuesday morning stripper.

The Failcons had opportunities to seal the victory but they didn't. They had also forced the Pats to 3 and out 3 consecutive times. They gave away the same penalty 3 consecutive times. They gave the Patriots 3 consecutive first downs. I just wrote 3 consecutive sentences containing the number 3 and the word consecutive.

Yeah, and NE didn't win in those 4 quarters. Why do they get the advantage of being the only team on offense in the overtime? Because of some dumb luck?

Begone paid NFL shill.

>script game months in advance
>plan for dallas to lose to the fucking packers

good one faggot

Except in NFL defense can get turn overs, or even score and win the game

If you can't stop a team from marching 75 yards with almost no trouble, you don't deserve to win. This is a fact so don't bother replying.

>Yeah, and NE didn't win in those 4 quarters.

let's not kid ourselves. if the game ended in a tie the headlines would certainly read 'new england wins 28-28'.

>Why do they get the advantage of being the only team on offense in the overtime?

ask the falcons. the only reason there was even an extra round played was because they could never seal the deal.

NE didn't have to prove it that way. Why should Atlanta be the only one to?

Are you all so fucking new that you don't remember it used to only take a FG to win? I'm not saying it's perfect now, but it's definitely better than that shit.

>these anons that are too afraid to question their NFL overlord

Yeah, such a flawless league. wew lad

Better now, but still bad.

>If you score the winning touchdown with 0:00 seconds left in regular time, the other team doesn't get a chance to reply
>I you scare the winning touchdown 0:01 second into OT the other team should get a chance to reply
Nah

This is serious grasping. Trying an onside kick with OT rules like that would be way too risky.

There's a reason why the Pats chose to return the ball when they won the coin toss. There's a reason why basically EVERY team chooses to return in OT. Because the team that returns the ball has the best chance to win the game.

I like you

>you have 4 fucking quarters

New England didn't have the lead in the game for a single second in regulation.

First scenario had 60 minutes of possession changes with plenty of opportunities for both.

Second one was decided by flipping a coin.

>patriots defense stops atlanta for 5 straight posessions
>falcons let pats score on 5 straight posessions

>coin toss

Whoops.

It's not the best system but it certainly wasn't the biggest factor in the game.

>you don't deserve to win

This isn't an argument, this is just your feels.

>being this retarded

Atlanta definitely choked it away.

However, you are defending the coin toss influence of the rules?

Second scenario was decided by a shitty team with a shitty defense that couldn't get it's shit together in a clutch moment.

Why not just play a 15 minute quarter and whomever leads after that wins? I don't give a fuck about fitness or injury. Cry me a river.

it's spitballing, not grasping, and it's still right: possession is never guaranteed. *that* is why an overtime rule where each team is guaranteed a possession doesn't belong in professional football: it's never a thing in the game normally.

because the other team got lucky by winning a minigame coin toss.

No, it was decided by a coin flip.

the defense had just as many chances as the offense to end the game with a touchdown too, you know. a pick six or a fumble recovered for a TD would have sealed it.

it's fair. you're just a crybaby.

>where each team is guaranteed a possession doesn't belong in professsional footbal; it's never a thing in the game normally

What is a punt after a touchdown is scored? Of course possession is guaranteed throughout the game, what on earth are you talking about. These arguments are shit and easily knocked down.

i want to add: what would stop a team from onside kicking it after scoring a TD in OT, anyway? wouldn't that be the best possible play: onside kick and the recovery wins it? you only have to prevent the TD after that point.

>What is a punt after a touchdown is scored?

are you drunk too? that's called a kickoff dude, DYEWTS?

>defense had just as many chances

Of course, defenses score just as many points as offenses do. Totally fair.

>you're just a crybaby

About what? I'm not even an NFL fan, just pointing out how terrible the rule is.

>DYEWTS

>average points scored by offenses : 24.7
>average points scored by defenses: 2.5
yeah, they had an equal chance

Shhhhhh, don't use logic with the NFL fanboys. Might hurt their brain.

Because the other team were superior and able to complete their plays.
A coin toss isn't an automatic touchdown. If Atlanta were deserved winners they would have stopped the drive and got the ball back.
They had plenty of chances in the 4th quarter to put the game to rest.

This nigga gets it. The defense can score in football, but not baseball or basketball. The random chance of a coin toss deciding possession is inherent to the game, both in regulation and overtime. The rest of you are literally arguing for free socialized overtime for both teams.
>b-but muh Parity(TM)!!!

NE proved it for the whole 4th quarter and half of the 3rd. You think it's easy to come back from a 25 point deficit in the super bowl against the #1 offense?

Why didn't the rules allow the falcons to kick a field goal in the fourth quarter to win the game?

>They had plenty of chances in the 4th quarter to put the game to rest.

Irrelevant to the discussion on how dumb the OT rules are.

NE didn't win in regulation. Don't care if they come back from 50 down.

Are we awarding the championship by style points now? Probably fairer than a flip of the coin, to be frank.

It's entirely relevant because the falcons failure to close the game led to their defeat in overtime.

If their coaching wasn't such shit, it never goes to overtime in the first place.

>haha Atlanta had their chance in regulation so they don't get one in OT xd

top kek

They had their chance in OT
All they had to do was hold NE to a FG or force them to punt

Regulation play has nothing to do with how the OT rules make no sense.

Possession is never guaranteed, you fucking leaf. You can fumble and lose possession on punt return, a kick return, and at virtually any point in the game.

Then you should be able to fumble the coin toss :^)

How well you perform during regulation influences whether or not OT rules are needed.

It's not "style points."

It is literally "stopping the opposing offense over and over again while scoring the ball over and over again".

That's WINNING FOOTBALL.

New England could have fumbled the ball at any time and lost possession. They didn't. They scored and Atlanta's defense couldn't stop them for shit.

NE didn't outperform Atlanta in regulation. They were tied in points. One gets the advantage of being on offense based on a luck game. Great rules.

We should have to see if NE's defense can stop Atlanta then.

Oh, sorry, the coin gets to decide who gets the major advantage in OT. My bad.

i'm just pointing out scenarios that make the system inherently fair, because while TDs by defense are certainly more rare they do exist. and the defense had just as many attempts to make plays on the ball as the offense did.

is it reasonable to expect a TD from the defense to win it? not really. but they could've done literally anything else apart from 'crumble up and die' and that's what they did and that's why they lost. it has nothing to do with the coin flip, it has everything to do with letting brady fucking shred you with the game on the line.

if the opposite had happened none of you would even be whining about it: if atlanta had won the toss and won the game. people will simply always find something to bitch about :\

>it has nothing to do with the coin flip

Not really. I don't give a shit who wins. Just think it's hilarious a coin flip has such an influence on a championship match.

Even more humorous is how vehemently you guys defend it.

NE's defense stopped Atlanta over and over again through the last 17+ minutes of gametime.

...and ended up tied

They got the advantage based on a coin flip.

>NE didn't outperform Atlanta in regulation. They were tied in points.

i'm all for being a stat nerd but you're acting like the patriots didn't absolutely turn it on and shut down the falcons when it really counted. stop being such a fucking fanboy.

>major advantage in OT

all the falcons had to do was force a field goal if they wanted another shot at the ball. they forced four new england punts in regulation (and the pats scored four touchdowns) so there you go. the numbers say there really wasn't an advantage, but crybaby on.

math says you're wrong

The coin flip is part of the game. Offense and defense both matter in football, so stop pretending that only offense counts.

Deal with it.

So we should disregard everything in the first half, because you say so? Right then.

Fact is the ended up tied after four quarters.

If the Falcons decided to play defense and force a punt, all they would've needed was a FG. They didn't, and they lost, fair and square

Discuss

a coin flip is fair and square?

They didn't even need to force a punt. All they had to do was hold New England to a field goal, and they would've gotten the ball right back.

They couldn't do it, so they lost.

i'm not saying disregard anything. for as bad as they looked, the patriots did their job in damage control in the early goings and kept the game 'within reach'. huge air quotes lol.

Yes, a coin flip is fair. Both teams had an equal chance of winning the coin flip.

Why do you seem so triggered by any element of random chance? Lots of those in life that you can't hide from.

>We knew this was a possible outcome beforehand but are only bitching about it after it happened

Where have I heard this before

i want to point out that the pats lost the first coin flip (picking heads both times).

if they had won both times people would be claiming a fix.

No you fucking idiot, it wasn't. I seem to recall the Pats marching down the field and punching the ball into the endzone. If you can't stop a TD drive in OT, you deserve to lose

>Just think it's hilarious a coin flip has such an influence on a championship match.

It doesn't. You think the team that wins the toss wins every game?

>a coin flip is fair and square?

Yes. Defense matters in case you didn't get the memo

You know, after three hours of game, it is physically harder for defences than for offences. I don't know if you have already played football in your life but while the offence has just maybe a receiver and the QB a bit hurt, the defenders were on the hunt all game long, running and running way more than the attackers.

Blame the Atlanta offense. They couldn't control the clock. It's not a coin flip's fault that Atlanta thought they key to winning was 4-play drives on offense.

Don't blame the coin flip. Blame the Falcons putting themselves in a situation to need overtime in the first place.

>pregame coin toss matters