Sup Forums. I found something odd today, I went to go on some garage sales today...

Sup Forums. I found something odd today, I went to go on some garage sales today, and i found an old Norelco cassette tape. Nothing strange about that, but the cassette itself was produced through the years of 1968-1970 and this cassette contains a conversation in morse code. This is just a thought but, what if the cassette contained information about the Watergate scandal. No i not talking about the reel-to-reel tapes Nixon owned, but I am talking about some sort of other orders or plans for agents to follow? Is that possible? What was so important that Morse Code was involved. This side the cassette is also titled, "No No"

Other urls found in this thread:

arrl.org/licensing-education-training
hamradiolicenseexam.com/study.jsp
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Sorry for my bad grammar. I am a little tired.

just upload it to r/morsecode or something

>fire mixtape

Reddit? Really?

bumping for interest.

Are you sure it's morse code and not data for loading in old "basic" games

Definitely Morse Code. There are two different tone "conversing" back and forth.

Does it look like a computer cassette? No.

The jump from having a potentially interesting cassette tape to it being part of the watergate scandal is a pretty big one tbh.

You're right. But it's my only theory here. I live near a large military base, and that's what is really making me think this.

Morse code's used by amateur (HAM) radio folks all the time and often they record it for later translation/.

Data cassettes were exactly the same as analog audio cassettes

Let me collect this: You live near a military base (which could be anywhere in the world). You found a recordable cassette tape which was available in any drug store or convenience store from the late 70s through the late 90s and you think there is missing watergate information on it. I just want to make sure I understand you correctly.

Well, the cassette is about 10 years older than before basic games started. I actually own some cassettes with games on it, it sounds completely different.

I found an late 1960s cassette to be exact. I found it at a garage sale. The garage was full of weird shit. I'll go into detail. There was a gas mask, There was a reel to reel recorder, a CRT set, that tape, etc. The base is 10 or so miles away from that location. The tape contains a conversation in morse code.

These are both my comments OP.
My point was that one can not tell the difference by looking at them. I was not saying it is a data cassette. As I said before it probably is Morse code but probably just a common chat between amateur radio enthusiast/

Fair enough. Do we have anyone who can work out the morse code?

Bring the tape to your local Ham Radio club they will be able to tell you what it is about. I've never met a Ham club full of assholes.

That would be very nice.

My mom had an old Norelco cassette recorder in the 1960s for college classes. That's what the cassettes looked like. Nothing unusual. There were also C60s (60 min) and C90s (you know) that were blue and red if I recall.

This is a good idea. Give a link if you submit a post before 404

>local Ham Radio club

Yeah, sure. We don't have anything in this town except bars and tobacco stores.

>it turns out the morse code literally says "no no"

>Inb4 Morse code leads to rickroll

I might do that, I don't know but i can try

Post on /x/

What is your zipcode I'll find the closet ham and fucking DX him myself if I have to.

This isn't bullshit. I am serious about this.

You won't have to worry about that. I am sure my veteran neighbor might know how to handle this.

I believe you, I've found weird ass shit at garage sales, but it would be hilarious if it was a link to Rick Astley

> decodes morse on cassette

> HEY DO YOU LIKE THE BEE GEES
> YEAH THEY ARE PRETTY COOL
> I LIKE THEM TOO
> HAVE YOU HEARD THE BAY CITY ROLLERS
> YEAH THEY ARE FAB

etc etc for 90 minutes

Just upload the bloody audio

Another bump for an actually interesting thread.

He might even be a ham, rural area have lots of them. I suck at CW ~5five word per minute or I'd ask you upload it.

Okay, that would be fucking hilarious.

That would be quite a trick

I will tomarrow. It's 30 minutes of that shit.

NAOW!!!

Unrelated but what is some decent budget starter gear to get into ham radio?

At the very least record some of the audio, if the first couple of minutes is, "Ay baby let me get yo cellular address so I ca-"we can assume it's not important

Here is what I'll think i will do. I will record the audio to the computer, upload it to Youtube with the title "Norelco Cassette Morse Audio." I will then make another thread once it has uploaded. This will most likely be at 3 for me. I have Eastern time.

Do you already have you technician license? Also what do you want to do with it? Mobile(car/back pack ect) or stationary.

arrl.org/licensing-education-training
Is a good place to start if you don't have your license yet. I used hamradiolicenseexam.com/study.jsp to study all the way up to my extra class.

It looks like someone was trying to duplicate the Norelco logo. The "N"s are stylized similarly.

'No' is also an abbreviation for the word "number" that was still in common use at the time.

Yes, Im an oldfag.

It looks normal to me.

Oh wait, i see what you mean.

>hamradiolicenseexam.com/study.jsp
Not OP but thanks for the info.

Recently obtained a Yasue 950D and would like to use it/

Looking at it now it looks like it's supposed to be "No NO" to differentiate them

I wonder why it was called that.

>Yasue 950D
You'll want to get your general class then it's got pretty use for those on the Technician class. Still can get some use out of it on the 6,10,40 bands.

Bump

As someone from that time I can attest - Morse code was a common hobby back then. I think you have to be somewhat proficient at it to get a HAM license ... anyways - there is nothing too mysterious about finding something in Morse from that era.

Back then it was required for the license.

RX Morse works pretty well for translation.

I bet there is an phone APP for translating Morse. Shit - SIRI might even know it.