/prod/ - Music Production General

Previous thread is dying Needs More Reverb Edition

Get in here and post your shitty music! OP will be here all night giving feedback. Remember to listen to other anons' clyps and give constructive criticism, faggot.

NO SOUNDCLOUDS, YOU WILL BE BERATED.
This is a place for collaborative improvement, not self-advertising.

>Production Resources:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff
pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

>/prod/ wiki - still looking for contributors
mu-sic-production.wikia.com

/prod/ IRC is up!
To join, you can go to rizon.net/chat
Choose a nick, put #/prod/ as channel. Enter!
Or you can get a lightweight desktop client here hexchat.github.io/downloads.html

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/uwqbssrw
discord.gg/yshtCn
clyp.it/pf0yz32i
55chan.org/mu/src/1500865108136.ogg
clyp.it/x20gm0jb
clyp.it/g13uzxe0
clyp.it/xndsqf5b
clyp.it/glv0tjb4
soundcloud.com/ra-santana-3
youtube.com/watch?v=LUl5XfmRIOo&feature=youtu.be
clyp.it/tsrpwlvy
clyp.it/fc0pyvky
jeesusperkele.bandcamp.com/album/shit-rock-demo-666
clyp.it/jo0rqsk4
clyp.it/ozfi1yd1
clyp.it/lmoo3wvt
youtube.com/watch?v=oFgir1SuFUM
instaud.io/17wY
youtube.com/watch?v=wfutKZijcbU
clyp.it/zeul5pkf
clyp.it/wdffyoq5
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

first attempt at a real track, be harsh.
the only description i can give it in terms of genre is
>spookhouse
and
>logicdefaultlibrarycore

critique songwriting, suggest mixing/automation/arrangement ideas pls
it's repetitive i know.

clyp.it/uwqbssrw

Discord: discord.gg/yshtCn

bump

Feedback?
clyp.it/pf0yz32i

u treid

is this sounding ok lads

Isn't mastering literally just making things louder?

uploaded on clyp in case someone thinks .ogg is a virus format
clyp.it/x20gm0jb

i think its making things nice and perfect

>clyp.it/uwqbssrw
Pretty good stuff, I don't like the kick but that might just my preference.Also I would turn down the hats and drums and probably add some reverb to the hats maybe use a looser sounding hihat.I also really like the arp and don't think it plays a big enough part in the trak. If this is your first attempt at a track I am quite impressed though.

>clyp.it/pf0yz32i
I dislike the beat the kick and clap/snare and would probably revise. The chords synth is not good, it sounds like it should be a sin wave and maybe at sub bass freq. The melodies also aren't nice on the ear. I am guessing you have just started making songs and in that case it's basically the same as what everyone makes when they start and it's too hard to really give feedback when you are at this level.

If anyone could provide feedback on my clyp it would be greatly appreciated. I am still really new to production so there might be glaring mistakes. Also I am sort of stuck on what to add next because i feel as if it is building to something so any suggestions would be nice.

clyp.it/g13uzxe0

What are good albums to train the ear and maybe chop some samples?

quickly recorded this demo today. is this idea worth pursuing further?

quickly recorded this demo today. is this idea worth pursuing further?

clyp.it/xndsqf5b

>clyp.it/x20gm0jb
30 years to late friendo :^)

I want to learn the fundamentals of modern hip hop percussion. Where do I start?
The more academic of a source the better

anyone actually doing this is hopes of blowing up?

Personally, I wanna blow up and fuck hot bitches for doing shit I love. I wanna make undeniably good music. Shit so good it might kill you.

I can't be the only one who does it for the glory.

he wants to take a univeristy class on hiphop tum da tum da roflmao

So the outlets in my recording area are ungrounded and I think this may be the primary source of most of the noise and ground loops I've been dealing with recently. What do?

>the glory
Absolutely disgusting

so you're telling me you want no recognition for your work? Absolutely none. You'd be completely content with nobody ever saying your shit's dope or even checking it out when you try to show it off?

what's wrong with that, scrub? I'd prefer to rely on something professional and concise rather than scrolling through youtube tutorials from "beatmasterbossnigga" playing with his shit in FL studio. you should too.

I would settle for playing shows where people actually paid to see me play

Thoughts on my demo?
Considering making an actual song of it. Not sure if this resonates at all with people.
>lo-fi
>slowcore?
>me singing

Thoughts on my demo?
Considering making an actual song of it. Not sure if this resonates at all with people.
>lo-fi
>slowcore?
>me singing

clyp.it/xndsqf5b

>Paying actual money to learn how to make something as basic as hip hop

Boo-tsn-ca-tsn-Boo-tsn-ca-tsn

That's not what I said. Receiving praise and having others appreciate your work as a bonus of the music making process is different than making music for the sole objective of getting your dick wet and becoming famous instead of doing it for the love of making music

>Paying actual money
never said that, scrub.
>something as basic as hip hop
that's not how it works, son. anyone can make hip hop, but i want the tools to be able to make it very well and then be able subvert those fundamentals.
why is this so hard for you to get behind? be helpful or stop replying

i never said i was doing it solely for getting famous. If my music would make a lot of buzz, but it was overall ass, I wouldn't release it. Why can't you do it for both?

pretty good dude its just kind of repetitive, i can see it being a song id listen to though

clyp.it/glv0tjb4

what do you guys think of this i just 'finished' it last night, going for the groovy summer vibe

i dig it

mastering is the process of making sure the music sounds good across most audio devices
google

the thing is, pretty much everyone in hip hop figured it out for themselves

and they're unique because they bring their own naive ideas to the table rather than studiously adopting someone else's formula

youtube.com/watch?v=LUl5XfmRIOo&feature=youtu.be

fuck what the other guy said im trying to get famous STAT

The important part is making the music in the first place. If you enjoy getting attention for it, that's nice. But if you're not already contented slaving away in the middle of the night with no expectation of anyone ever listening to it, your priorities are fucked and you're just going to end up frustrated.

kinda dissonant and repetitive, drums need to be mixed properly. main lead is a little too wet. kinda sounds like muzak

decent, nice sampling
syncopation or variations of the chords would be good

vocals need to be louder/better, feel like the strummed guitar is resonating too much. chords sound sort of dissonant. it's alright. repetitive. i get your going for a lo-fi kinda thing, maybe if it was more wet it be a little better.

can i get some feedback plz
clyp.it/tsrpwlvy

wanting to learn fundamentals =/= wanting to follow them religiously. learning more and with more depth is never a bad thing. in fact, it's very arrogant to assume that you have something to bring to the table without a good deal of work, much of which involves studying music.

why are you so irked by this? did i strike a nerve? is your production 'unique' yet lacking in mastery and rigor?

>kinda sounds like muzak
dude fuck you for pointing that out now i cant unhear it

cleaned up a demo to create something that was intentionally flawed. does it work?
>duster - stratosphere-core

clyp.it/fc0pyvky

x-post

I enrolled in a half year course of /bleep/ production, starting in three weeks.

How far will I realistically get with no prior experience in that time? The teachers are supposed to be really good at what they are teaching and I do have some understanding of how bleeps are made up.

I just want to make a house banger...

I take too long to make shit, and even after all the effort I still don't like it.

How do I fix this? It's really ruining my enjoyment in music making.

TO BE HONEST

you gotta get like me, its the only way

now listen

give me one reason why I would click that link

/r/ in-depth review of this masterpiece:

jeesusperkele.bandcamp.com/album/shit-rock-demo-666

>(reddit)

i'm tempted to see if your music is as cringey as your posting style, but that would mean giving you the attention you're so obviously after so i'm not gonna do it

Should I?
I want to get back to field recordings and this seems to be a good option in that price range. So any of you guys have made any experience with this or other portable recording devices?

Id be lying to you if I said anything ever so click it

you should click it and shit on your own chest

I'm new to recording and would like tips on removing noise.

You want to make noise, not remove it.

There's this bzzzt thing though, I can play my way around it as it is practically imperceptible but it's existence still annoys me.

Whats the best instrumental sample you guys use? Like piano, brass, strings, etc

clyp.it/jo0rqsk4

looking for feedback on this track i recorded yesterday

I still use a ten year old Roland piano soundfont that I have to heavily edit with effects to sound natural.

>heavily edit with effects to sound natural
how do you do that? What are your tips for making these things sound more real?

Why doesn't /prod/ have an official Discord? IRC is fucking ded

Try downloading izotope rx for the denoiser and hum remover. These aren't perfect, so you might have to eq for the loss of the trouble frequencies.

Sounds like you might have a ground loop problem. Make sure your stuff is connected to a grounded outlet, try to make sure everything has isolated power (avoid daisy chains), avoid having too many devices connected to a single power strip, and always use balanced cables.

You may not be able to completely get rid of the noise, and if that's the case, get a good signal to noise ratio

Basically reverb, sometimes delay and/or chorus. Also, you can then add tiny manual volume differences to each note if you are one of those people who do not use an input device. But it does take practice to make it sound more natural.

on what instrument are you getting a buzz? is it live input like guitar or what?

I'll try those, thanks.

Yeah guitar. Also on a cheap mic I got, but it's probably cause it's a shit mic. The hum isn't loud enough to be perceptible on a finished track but it's annoying to have when just dicking around.

I'm not the guy you're replying to, but I have some advice. It's hard to find academic or even comprehensive material on the Internet regarding the fundamentals of any musical genre. Your best bet is to play the numbers and watch/read as many tutorials as possible from as many different artists as possible, then figure out for yourself the elements that they all utilise.
Then use what you've learned to create a bog-standard hip-hop drum beat, evaluate and analyse it, then start breaking the rules.

your vocals are too weak, imo. i'd recommend recording again, and put your belly into it this time. or if you're going to use very fine vocals, you going to have to be super accurate with your pitch and rhythm.
the guitar is too loud, and the recording itself isn't very clear. the bass notes seem to collide with the top notes. try placing the mic further away; or if you're recording through a rig, turn the gain down.

could be the mic. sounds like an issue from the line or the amp. working with guitar, buzzing and humming is going to be a common issue. play around with the EQ and find a free noise gate or hum remover like above poster suggested. even though you cant hear it in the finished track doesnt mean not its back there fucking with the sound.

I noticed that if I have my pickups facing toward my recording interface, I will get a buzz that is louder than if I turned my guitar away from everything and played. Having too high of gain might cause a hum too.

i dunno man, fuck around with shit and keep it up

the only advice i can give you is get a better mic and better room to record in (expensive), or record your guitar parts directly into the DAW (less expensive). logically speaking, this should give you more clarity and reduce background noise to near zero (?) but i don't have any recording experience myself so take my word with a grain of salt.

it's mixed generally well, i like the pads and drums. guitar needs a little more body, but that's just my preference. the bass is perfect imo.
my main gripe is that it's a repetitive. the main guitar part is nice and simple, but it shouldn't be used as a lead imo. try adding another guitar element comprising of a non-repetitive solo-type lead. and maybe some soft electronic keyboard chords? just throwing ideas around here

pretty good user, reminds me of XXYYXX. i love the transitions and the way it builds up to the second part.
but man, the drums are all over the place. i like the sound of them but the programming is hectic and takes too much attention away from the rest of the track. the hats and snare are fine, but try simplifying the rides and kick. these two elements should just give your track a good steady pulse, not dominate it.
also the bridge in the middle is good but it needs a more clear-cut chord progression and resolution. the dissonance is nice and expressive but if it doesn't resolve then it just leaves the listener hanging.

>It's hard to find academic or even comprehensive material on the Internet
That's because all contemporary music are just offshoots of music of the past, which there are a lot of material for. All you really have to learn is the actual genre sounds. Song structure is usually always 32 bar blues or verse-chorus structure.The only thing you have to learn is the nuances of the "sound" e.g. the samples they use, the vst's they use, the embellishments they use, the harmonic trends. For example, with trap music you they use 808's that with portamento to slide to other notes, they use minor keys, half time beats at a tempo of 130-160, lots of call and response ad libs, etc etc.. The thing you should be learning by yourself is sound synthesis and keeping up with all the modern trends therein.

The fundamentals of music should easily allow you to transpose whatever you here easily. You should be learning an instrument along with the basics of classical music first e.g. functional harmony, part-writing, voice leading,... and then jazz theory which expands upon classical theory and veers off on its own way. You may think you don't need to know about parallel fifths and shit since you're going into jazz, but it's important to have this knowledge. Anyone who is taking music seriously should have an instrument to do scale reps and jam, and they should be working on singing, not really to sing in songs but because relative-pitch is important to producing and song crafting and vocalizing intervals will help your brain memorize and recall them far easier. And this is something everyone can do. Once you have a decent ear and can jam on an instrument you'll experience a freedom in music making, it's like turning on a light because without you're in a dark room just hoping for the best. It's a completely viable and achievable goal and will make you all the better.
Hip-hop, r&b, house, and pop music is jazz with contemporary production

so i gave in and clicked on it. my verdict: it's mediocre. i won't comment on the rhymes since it's not my field of expertise.
your delivery lacks punch, your flow is way off-rhythm and doesn't sit well with the beat. the beats are nice but nothing special.

but here's the main problem: you have no defining quality, no unique selling point, nothing that makes you stand out against the millions of other wannabe rappers in the game right now, and if you wanna get famous based on the merits of your music, you better work one out asap. the market is saturated as fuck and you need to step it up, big time.

and needless to say, your attitude is horseshit. your music should mean more to you than fame and glory, and if you go into with this mindset without any sort of artistic edge, then it's pretty obvious why you lack originality and depth.

here
yep, i pretty much agree with everything you've said. the main things that differentiate genres are very specific and nuanced.
i have a decent working (although not comprehensive) knowledge of music theory and i'm trying to read up on jazz theory so i can add a bit of a creative flair to a genre that's dominated by harmonic and melodic simplicity. even some simple jazz harmony like m7 chords are very common in music nowadays so i want to take it in a new direction by using more daring harmonic changes while at the same time trying not to scare off the average listener.

my endgoal of making music is to slowly but surely bring the average listener away from the pervasive and simple 4-chord pop song structure and into a mindset where they can grasp and appreciate the nuances of more daring and complex music. in short, i'm trying to make plebs patrician. although i wouldn't know how to handle myself if this pipe dream actually came true.

>even some simple jazz harmony like m7 chords are very common in music nowadays so i want to take it in a new direction by using more daring harmonic changes while at the same time trying not to scare off the average listener.
Any kind of harmonic stuff you can think of is already well established. The weirdest shit you can imagine is already common in jazz or film music. If you want to do something different you should look into microtonal music.

this is great feedback. I appreciate it.
I'll re-record the whole thing, it's barely a song at this point anyways. the guitar is recorded trough an iRig and the bass is actually a digital synth. I don't think I can do much about the guitar sound, but I'll turn down the gain a bit and see if it'll clear up. I'm not sure what you mean by the bass notes colliding with the top notes - are you looking for some separation? will sing with more stomach. I recently started trying to sing, so the advice is much needed.

gibe feedback pls

thanks man appreciate ya. I'll definitely be adding some vocals and more guitar work. i'll tinker with some keys and see how it sounds. thanks for the input

clyp.it/ozfi1yd1

i only have shitty headphones right now, so I'd appreciate some help from people with good sound systems.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I've been learning music theory recently in order to know what chords to use when playing a song by ear. However, having learned basically every chord there is, I'm still clueless when it comes to adding chords. How do you go about doing this?

Pop music is employing jazz harmony, they're not simply. Especially genres like r&b, which a lot of pop music these days is. I remember chance the rapper's latest album and how influenced it was by gospel which IS jazz.

Anyway my autistic wall of text can be summarized as:
1. The production side of a genre has tons of material on the internet, but the music side does not because of reason 2.
2. Learn basics classical theory, then focus on jazz because it will make learning the musical side of any genre easy since everything has been done in the past within jazz. 3

3.Learn an instrument to do scales because western music is completely scale based and having these as muscle memory will enable you jam.

4. Learn to sing solfage because interval recognition allows you to do incredibly useful things such as transposing music and chord recognition. For example, you find the key of a song is C, you hear an interval of a descending fifth and it sounds absolute and is played at the end of 8 bar phrase boom you know exactly that is a G to C(V-I) authentic cadence. You can reverse engineer songs like this and before you know it you actually have an ear for this stuff and transposing songs is easy as pie, now you have the ability to look under the hood and figure out what they're doing harmonically. And since you have a knowledge of jazz you can figure out "oh this sounds like the latin jazz tune in my fake book. Eventually you'll build up a mental repertoire of any genre and won't need to be spoonfed how they get their sound.

When I was new I used to focus on the melody. If your melody starts in A, then the chord is likely gonna be A, D or F.

alright prod I need some serious help

clyp.it/lmoo3wvt

>What time signature is this / pic related
>Should I make something out of this chord progression, or is it too generic

FUCK

wrong picture

it's 9/8

it's kinda generic, yeah

don't go to bleep for actual good dance music, just listen to it and try to make it instead. Bleep post some god awful stuff, from shitty electronic prog stuff to grime which absolutely no one likes. Moodymann is also the best house artists

thanks for the feedback ive been feeling the same way. the tracks recorded thus far are just rough samples of what i plan on creating. I just bought this nuemann tlm 102 and those were basically me testing it out. but honestly ive been feeling the same way.

im bout to pull some rae sremmurd drake shit.

>I'm still clueless when it comes to adding chords
just do what sounds good, but if you want to go deeper:
This sounds like a theory problem. Learning only chords is like learning only the English alphabet.... you need grammar which is music theory in this analogy, otherwise you wouldn't know about things such as functions, which can help guide you to the next place. They're like road markers to me that help me take a path in a fork in the road.

Let me try and write how I think about it:
" oh so the F chord in the the context of C major is a pre-dominant, well you know a predominant has all the same notes as a D, and and I know the dominant of G is D, so perhaps the next chord should be a G since this F pulls towards it, na that two consecutive major chords is too happy and I'm going for a more melancholy feel - well I know that E minor chord is in this scale, and has all the notes of a G( G being G-B-D, and E containing E-G-B-D=Em7) oh yea that sounds just as good, and hey E pulls to A chord" another minor chord" etc...

This is good advice too, you can just use the same chord as the notes that are playing in the melody, but in my mind if you don't know what chord to play next, then how can you know what note to play next? You do what sounds good most of the time, apply the same thing to chords.

Do we still do that instrument co-op thing where anons who own and can play certain instruments will record clips for people?

not at all

>going to school for bleeps
>not buying xox meme gear then having your talented producer friend compile it into workable material
wew lad
youtube.com/watch?v=oFgir1SuFUM

I'm pretty sure I'm going places guys.

Like I'm not the shit, but I'm not shit, and I know how to market myself.

Now I just need some friends

can you tell me if im going places?

instaud.io/17wY

can you tell me if im going places?
youtube.com/watch?v=wfutKZijcbU

music production teachers are total blaggers who havent put in the hours

you can learn more from the internet, books and artist tips especially old archives of artist forums before they blew up where they would blab to fans about techniques

also if you like an artists production you can literally just get in touch and try asking them, sometimes you get ignored sometimes you get a fucking essay where they tell you the exact fx chain and the exact decimals they used on which device

r8 my first beat guys, only constructive criticism :)

clyp.it/zeul5pkf

This is really good user. You gotta make a song. This is legit dope as fuck.
I think you'e on the right path. That's gonna sound great after mastering with the right vocals on them. I don't like the snare though, but that's just because I'm picky with my drums

Tips for making a wall of sound with a simulated guitar? Think dream pop/shoegaze.

Lmao I forgot edm kiddies still post here

clyp.it/wdffyoq5
Is this worth fleshing out?

Chorus flange distortion overdrive reverb eq delay compressor
Rly just the whole shebang imo
not necessarily in that order

interested as well

I wrote a bluesy riff using the a minor scale. What kind of chords should I use to make a song out of it?

E-------------------------------------
B----------------------------5ph8p5
G-----------------5--5--------------8-7-5--
D-------------------7--7-6b----------
A------------5ph6-----------------------
E-----5ph8----------------------------