Do you believe in God why/ why not

Do you believe in God why/ why not

Personally I don't
Often all i see in religion is
> an excuse to do horribly fucked-up shit to other people
> a social crutch to help people who are having problems, which is not a bad thing
> a way to control people and bend them to the will of a specific person, For Better or For Worse

Also I think one of the reasons why people may have created religion was it was a good way to create laws and convince people to follow them without having to enforce the laws

Of course not. Gods are for the emotional. To make them fear to do evil and feel good actions will be rewarded.
Gods were stories passed down from elders to children for time untold. Our way of explaining a cruel and indifferent universe.
We now have tools to determine the nature of that universe, and the need for religion lessens with each generation. It is becoming a relic for those that lust for unearned power and prestige, and those that fear, either because they cannot understand the universe around them, or will not.

I'm an atheist. I think the idea of God, as classically described, is self defeating. It's internally inconsistent. God cannot exist, therefore, he does not exist.

god-belief is a remnant of Bronze Age methods to control tribes of violent, horny men, allowing them to release their violence on the tribe next door. Fuck god-believers.

I do. We've met. Kinda hard to not believe when you're lookin at someone face to face, ya know?

Inb4 edgy atheists demand proof.

Silly rabbits, that's not how it works...

did you ask why he's such a royal faggot? what kind of douche creates a universe to house a tiny planet full of monkeys he wants to worship him, but only if they believe con-man level "not seeing and believing is even better" type bullshit?

From my point of view, the more we learn about our world and the universe we live in, the more glorious it's creation becomes

>claiming to have met god

Time to change your meds.

Do you by chance own a fedora?

Also no I don't believe in God. Made up by people a long time ago who couldn't come with the fact their life was shit and they were going to die

Yes, actually. The answer is pretty simple. Faith is a power source. All through the Bible, but especially in the NT, faith is described as being the real power.

Knowledge that something exists removes the faith in it's existence.

That's the best you got? Go to bed, grownups are talking.

Own a ball cap and a pretty nifty motoring cap, but no fedoras or related headwear

>Faith is a power source
ha. how do we concentrate and burn you fucks to power our rockets?
the more I know about the world, the more incredible it becomes, and the more I understand that at no level did it require a hand to craft it. knowing how energy moves, how the ripples and eddies of non-closed systems can create replicant patterns that transform through iteration and error. it's beautiful.
But there is no god, no matter how many gaps you look into.

Well looks like the thread is already decaying into nothing but insult, cant you guys just like a conversation without insulting each other

Physicists and others say it's possible that our universe as we perceive it is but one of an infinite number of universes. If this is true, is it not possible that God exists in one or more of them?

it's hard to have a rational discussion about what people imagine without proof to be truth

Order in the universe, especially order out of chaos, is not a "naturally" occurring thing.

Which is easier to believe, that all that we are is naught but the result of winning the most unlikely streak of lotteries ever, or that there is some force that designed and created all that we know?

Much of what we "know" in the more esoteric sciences has never been proven, empirically. We just accept it because the math adds up.

Yes but we dont know what rules would govern these alternet universes. An example would be we don't know if it's possible to cross from one to another it could be impossible or it could be possible we don't know so it's hard to assume whether or not a God could be in one of these universes

Which is easier to believe, that after billions of years and untold trillions of combinations, some simple elements created patterns that chain together, eventually leading to replication, or that a full-on intelligence popped out of nowhere, invented the universe and hated fags.

order out of chaos is a completely naturally occurring thing. because there is no chaos. only rules you don't know and can't follow. and the rules can create patterns between them, and those patterns persist so long as external sources of energy flow.

I believe in something like God and it probably thinks OP is a faggot.

One thing that hampers most of you non believers is something that a good theorist would never overlook. God might actually exist.

Most of the science community just accepts as part of the Central Dogma, that God does not exist. But what if they're wrong?

Lets face it, science has, over the centuries, made some pretty big blunders. Flat earth? Alchemy? Astrology?

These were all, at one point, the cutting edge of science.

What if God is real?

Believing in God doesn't answer that many interesting questions. It just means that you think God could answer all your interesting questions but since you can't talk to him it doesn't matter. It's a head-fake, just dodges anything meaningful or important.

Who says we can't talk to him?

the central dogma of science is to accept nothing without proof. so, yeah.
>Flat earth? Alchemy? Astrology?
They knew the first was BS in greek times. The others were attempts at a natural understanding of the world. As people understood their flaws, they moved on. Those that cling to them do so for the same reason people cling to religion. The idea of special magic knowledge makes them feel good, and they simply do not care if it is true.

This is true. What is missing from your argument, though, is the sense of community that people of a religion often find with other members. Brotherhood/sisterhood under god and all that.

l believe there may be one but l don't believe in the judeo-christian-muslim mythos

>God might actually exist.
anything might exist. this is why science requires a burden of proof

Yes but often what we consider Cutting Edge science is basically the theories that explain the most things. And have the most evidence pointing towards them. God could very well exist it's just that we don't currently have any well-documented replicable evidence towards his existence. So we assume that he is not real.

The central dogma accepts many things without empirical, hands-on, eyes-on proof.

Black Holes, Dark Matter, Dark Energy, are all good examples of things we "know" only through the mathematics that describe them, and all three were only used to balance the equations physicists used to describe everything

Lacking the means to accurately describe something does not mean it can not exist.

The "We can't prove it so it can't exist" crowd didn't accept subatomic particles for the longest time either, until our science caught up with our theory

In many cases, what proof exists is little more than an equation somebody figured out.

Another part is accepted theories, we accept the things with lots of evidence are true but these theories can imply things and we generally accept the entire Theory to be true because it works well at describing whatever is the theory is talking about so we generally accept that whatever the the theory implies but does not have evidence to be true until we come up with a better Theory to describe whatever is happening, an example of this is special relativity and quantum physics they both work incredibly well at describing the universe around us and how it reacts but they don't necessarily really fit together and there are some contradictions but we accept both of them to be true because it's the best theory we have

It really doesn't matter if there's a God or not, honestly. Whether there is or isn't the situation doesn't change based on what you personally believe. What's far more important is that religion gives a society cohesion; it usually provides a basic moral framework and gives people a set of common beliefs and traditions.

Modern fedora-tippers think the ideas they've come up with about God and religion are new and innovative and will solve all of the world's problems by eliminating conflict, but honestly this discussion has been had over and over by every civilization that has ever existed. Whenever a culture loses or abandons its religious beliefs and traditions it always signifies the beginning of the end for that culture. People start doing whatever they want to, social institutions break down, people stop giving a shit about their families/communities/nations/whatever and start living like hedonistic fuckwits, and eventually they either get invaded and conquered by barbarians.

nigga. what is punctuation?

an equation that can be used for describing and predicting a system
god is nothing but a hunch. an idea with no equation at all

Sorry I use voice to text so if I ever want to make punctuation I have to say the punctuation out loud

I don't think a lack of belief of god solves anything. People hiding behind religion when committing atrocities, perhaps, but they'll find other reasons to do so if religion is gone. I am concerned only with the truth of the matter. There is no evidence to anything supernatural. No magics, ghosts, angels or devils. The world is filled with cameras now. Not a single imp has been seen sneaking about.

because they do not exist.

I never said he existed and I never said he didn't exist I'm saying I don't know and when I don't know something I assume what seems to be the most reasonable answer to me to be true until I see an argument or evidence that shows why it's wrong

>Being that edgy

Millions of people from peasants to intellectual believed in God, there hundreds of arguments from early christian father that proved the existance and divinity of Jesus

2 thousands year later an edgy pathetic shithead like you tries to degrade and disbelieve the divinity of Jesus on Sup Forums, a board for retards and insanes, nobay can take you seriously.

belief is not proof. arguments are not proof.
my being an edgy shithead isn't proof

if you want to convince somebody of something it's usually best not to insult them

They aren't looking to convince. They are looking to insult. They claim edge on my part for not believing in the same thing they do, and then denounce me for not falling in line. They fear to be wrong, and the idea that others disagree bothers them. Exactly the kind of person that needs religion, rather than seeing it as a nice social kind of thing.

The truth of the matter is that you'll never know. I don't find the idea of a supreme being or a prime mover or something like that existing to be all that farfetched, honestly. Whether or not that entity gives a shit what I'm masturbating to I couldn't tell you. But whether God exists or not doesn't really matter because your vote doesn't count either way. Either there's no God and this discussion is pointless or there is a God and this discussion is pointless.

I'm agnostic. I havent completely ruled out the possibility of a god, but as our understanding of the world around us furthers, and even nignogs and shitskins are born in 3rd world countries to die, the possibility of a god told by most major religions beomes laughable.

That is a very nice thing and as one of the reasons why religion can actually be a really good thing to have but also when I said can provide social crutches I meant this same thing to it can provide communities societies with a kind of thing to lean on

Yes cause I believe in a meaning in life. No I don't need God cause I'm scared of stuff. No I don't believe in God cause of somehow I need an explanation of things. Like how atheists claim.

Fluoride in drinking water
Fluoride in Teflon coating
Lead contamination in soil
Lead paint
Estrogen in drinking water
Radionuclide contamination in high phosphorus fertilizer
Slag exposure
Food shortage
Over population
Eugenics
Civil unrest
Boredom
Pathogens
World peace?
Aliens
Aliens
Dark wizards
Psychics
Class warfare
Class warfare
Supervolcanoes
Accidental injury
Depression
Criminal behaviour
Fluoride in toothpaste
Under exercise
Tooth decay
Poor oral hygiene
Coconuts
Ragweed
Fire ants
Killer bees
Climate change
Stagnation
Illegal dumping
Orbital drift
Greed
Xenophobia
Corruption?
Gender warfare
Black widow/brown recluse
Gamma radiation
Seismic anomaly
Political warfare
Degradation
Devaluation of human life
Drug abuse
The after life

The after life is not a danger unless you are a bad Jew

Wtf is this is it like a meme now or something

I belived in god when I was younger and while I think I eventually would stop believing (agnostic atm). What got me in a early age was the fact that feelings are a sin. Actions I can accept but feelings is not something you can control in the same way. Hence forth it made no sense and I said well fuck this shit then.

So you don't believe in God cause the way how God is depicted from certain scriptures doesnt make sense to you? Let's say you rule out religion but believe in a sole creator overall now what

I'd consider myself agnostic. I believe in a creator but he's not some dude sitting in the clouds playing a game of Sims.

I pray and I hope someone is listening. If anything, it tends to help and I have faith in it.

>2017
>still meming

It's called temptations and it's your free will that enables you to act or not to on them. This will test your will as a person.

we tack him up on a cross for creating disease and misery among our race
> also for creating a race that enjoys tacking people on up crosses

Sorry missed the refrence that post was meant to be headed with

torturing people by giving them desires that will harm themselves or others if acted upon is considered something of a dick move in birdperson culture

I'm asking you lets say we rule out religion. And just see God as a higher entity in life would you still believe?

We all have anger (an emotion we can't control) but it's up to you on how you deal with it

For the sake of argument, let us say god exists. To what purpose would we worship him? Just because he created us? We are largely an evil and indifferent race, why does our creator deserve our adoration? To act in accordance with religion merely to gain heaven or avoid hell ? Why would you want to spend eternity singing the praises of a god that creates people only to torture them forever? Why would you sing the praises of a creator that creates worms that live in the eyes of orphans? This world is filled with horrors. It is through the ingenuity of mankind that we have cast off many of these horrors today, and see only their vestiges wreaking havoc in the third world. If there is such a god, we have no obligation to it. We did not ask to exist, and god refuses to be present in our lives beyond vague emotions while singing songs together. That isn't enough.

So, assuming a creator, fuck that creator.

assuming there is a god, it creates the little children, and then men that rape them. this is not an omnibenevolent act.

When has God ever asked to be worshipped? Yet again you're relating to certain scriptures when saying that and referring to heaven and hell too. Good and bad are man made emotions.

those acts are based on freewill. And God can't be all great if he is all loving.

Here's an idea I've been thinking about recently what if there is a God and he is all-powerful but not all-knowing. What if he designed the rules of the universe and then created some matter the Big Bang and watched how it played out the cuz that's the only thing you can do he's all-powerful but he doesn't know everything so he's finding out things so we're being watched by him. It would explain him not caring whatever happens to us since he's just simply watching and for all we know he could have created a universe with different laws an insane number of times and who knows maybe in some of those universes he is there and he's tangible and you can talk to him and he makes a very big difference but at the end when everything becomes an interesting and everything stops changing he just changes the beginning rules and creates a new universe to watch play out

If god exists but religion doesn't, and god is an indifferent and abstract bastard that never checks in, then god is irrelevant.
basically Deism.

not a lot of point in worshiping or hating fags on his almighty behalf then, is there?

But if God is all-knowing but not all-powerful then there might as well not be one he's just an entity out there that we can't talk with

Only depends on your interpretation of God if he does or doesnt get involved in life.

Just so you know, the guy who you've been conversing with isnt me, the one you replied too ...

That's why im agnostic, I havent completley ruled out the existance of a higher power. However, we have no evidence to prove ones existance. When we accuse someone of murder, evidence is required. Why is it not the same to treat 'god' the same?

But if God is all-knowing and all-powerful I never see anything pointing towards God being benevolent and see things pointing towards God being non benevolent so this leads me to believe that in this case God would either be evil or uncaring

if god depends on my interpretation, he's fucked.
either there is an objective god that there are facts about or there is not.
a subjective god is just a lie by another name

Yeah i see what you mean. But the question for me has always been a meaning in life. What a the point of everything if it's all for nothing.

>Do you believe in God
You mean A god? No, no reason to think thats a thing.

What I believe is that there probably is no greater meaning to life we're just here so we might as well make the most of it and spend time being happy instead of sad cuz as far as I know once you die it's over there may not be some great thing out there for us to accomplish or some greater meaning behind it all but I know that I'm alive and that some things feel good and some things feel bad so why spend all my time thinking about the bad things and why not just enjoy the good things

> not who you responded to
there is no point. everything just is. however, we have things we value, people we value, cultures and art and wonders of mankinds creations that we value. even just pets and videogames we value.
because we value them, we create a point of caring for them, working for them, fighting and dying for them.
we are the story and the teller.

Yes, of course op. Who else created the earth, the trees, the oceans? They can't come from nothing. Besides, without God there would be chaos. No morality, just people raping and murdering.

Its the only logical conclusion.

>They can't come from nothing
>but a magical allpowerful intelligence can

Sometimes I think if there is no meaning then there is no wrong in murder. We're all just animals and since a lion has no sympathy for murder why should humans? I mean the world is getting over populated a genocide might be necessary (kinda random comment)

but who was gods phone??

Like Zeno from dbs?

I believe in God. I think he is wrong in offering me salvation though. I shouldn't be able to get away with all I've done just by accepting Jesus's sacrifice and confessing my sins.

I know it's wrong to question his judgement but I think I deserve Hell.

Life might be easier if I just didn't believe and lived my life without caring, but I can't just shut off the "belief" switch. To me it is obvious there is a God and there is evidence everywhere if you look hard enough. Of course I can't prove it, part of religion is faith and there's no getting around that. Unlikely atheistfags though I don't have a problem with that.

The thing that bothers me about your statement is your saying it's the only logical solution I mean it is a solution but that doesn't mean it's the only one it may be the one that you find to be the most true to you but I honestly don't know why I'm making this post it just seems like I should say that don't discredit others ideas which is probably not what you meant it all but still

Why would I? I see not even a trace of evidence, nor any reason to force myself to blindly believe. Religion only works by indoctrinating children who just do what they're told.

Also it boils down to everything being created. You take the big bang theory for example and it explains the stars and planets you sort of end up with nothing when these things are taken out of outer space. And it ends up being everything literally came from nothing. Just a big black empty room. There is no good no bad. Just a human perception

>Sometimes I think if there is no meaning then there is no wrong in murder
The wrong in murder has nothing to do with god, it is an agreement between humans.
We value each other, and we value ourselves.
We value living.
We do not wish what we value.
So we consider it something of a dick move to kill someone. It deprives us of friends and family ( or our own life ), and it keeps people from pursuiting their lives and goals
We give up the right to kill for the right not to be killed, and punish transgressors to impress upon potential murderers that there are consequences.
But killing itself is not frowned upon, generally. After all, if I held a gun to you, and you struck me down to save yourself, or someone else, few would rebuke your killing me.

GOD has always existed. Just like outer space has even before the big bang

we, as yet, lack the knowledge to know what may cause something to be instead of nothing.
believing fables doesn't help.
even if god is, it doesn't help.
why should there be god and creation instead of nothing is just as hard a question

I don't mean certain incidents of death but overall wars and genocides. If necessary then it needs to be done. Like with overpopulation. Demographic shifts where the fate of a country is left. A genocide might be needed

space is a function of the big bang, it didn't preexist it. by our best theories that explain our observations, space itself expands at an exponential rate.

actually the big bang created space. and incidentally, time. so yeah.

I agree. Either route you take it makes no sense, why would God create us? Why did the big bang exist if there is no purpose in life. It makes no sense

it won't be for a long time. we have plenty of resources for the moment. and if we bring the world up to US/euro standards, population will stabilize.
there isn't a moral way to purge. it will be a massive war for resources at that point.

When looking at the color scale it kind of relates to outerspace. Black usually represents nothing but on the color acale it still means something. Outerspace before the big bang is what? A big empty room? Saying it's rapid and expanding just simply implies that if you let's say for example go faster than the rate of expansion you will reach what? A wall That wont let you go further?

Everytime people talk about population stabilizing it's always first world countries. Africa for example is breeding so fast that they will be heading towards europe. European birthrates are fine but Africa's is out of control. Which would incline a demographic shift and genocide would be appropriate

cri moar faggot

i would prefer to have an afterlife instead of a black void

if we can bring the african continent upto euro standard of living, it will settle off. if you're just here to go "nigger nigger" in kinder language, allow me to offer indifference and a suggestion for your own thread. it's a popular topic.

Of course that would be the reasonable solution but I don't think that's possible

you wouldn't have a black void. you'd have what you remember from before you were born, nothingness. only you'd never again exist to perceive it. you wouldn't be.
> that said, this comment is the main driver of religion. death is scary, yo.