Just started teaching and realized I haven't got a clue how to do most of it and that I may not be cut out for it...

Just started teaching and realized I haven't got a clue how to do most of it and that I may not be cut out for it. If I quit, a lot of people whose opinions somewhat matter to me will be disappointed, but I have seriously been contemplating entering the next plane of existence via shotgun blast just to get out of it. It isn't

that I wouldn't love the job if I knew how to do it well. I would. I just don't and may not even be suited to it. I don't have the work ethic, for instance.

I fukin' luv sukin' my uwn cuck.

Also, I will probably have difficulty paying off my school loans and the car I just got to get back and forth to work. The main thing is all the people who--some in spite of the fact that I told them me trying to become a teacher was a bad idea--put their faith in me and supported me, including my Principal. She is a truly wonderful and good woman and I hate letting her down.

That I frequent Sup Forums and am asking such a question on here may be an answer in and of itself as to whether I should be a teacher.

I don't believe any adults deserve to live, but thanks for the quote.

>Just started

aw the millennial tried to do something and is giving up

If you're going to quit, at least fuck a couple of your kids on the way out.

Actually, I am about to turn 44. Worked 19 years in a warehouse and ended up going back to school. Thanks for playing, though.

Thanks for the kek

What are you teachin OP?

How many years have you been teaching? At what level?

Actually, none have offered. I guess they are not into 44-year-old fat men. I never understood why the guys on "To Catch a Predator" believed that they might be an exception to that rule.

>worked in a warehouse for years with assholes
>one of the best work environments socially for men
>sad he works with kids

Well no shit, OP. I work in a warehouse in the mornings until 10am just for the fucking social aspect and from 11am on to 6pm i work with a bunch of coding fags with no idea how to socialize. I do this specifically for the benefits the warehouse job offers and the dudes are real bros who conversation isnt based on what they read on reddit.

Find balance.

if you're waiting for them to offer you're not doing it right. You have to use your position as an authority figure to pressure them into it.

Science.

Maybe you just aren't cut out for the grade level you're teaching...they're all very different and most teachers can only do one.

This would be my first year of teaching in a high school and my first year of teaching period.

What exactly is stumping you man? Don't you love working with the kids?

Probably because there was an entire agency dedicated to entrapping them.

Thank you for your advice.
I am fairly certain that would also disappoint a lot of people.
It is possible I would be more cut out for teaching college if I had a doctorate. It may be that I am not cut out for teaching at any level.

Teacherfag here. I'm into my 10th year and hate it. Tried doing school counseling and while it's better, it still sucks. The kids are cute but that's it. Money is terrible, insurance is awful, retirement is decent, kids and parents are fucking retards. I don't want to start over in another career because I can retire when I'm 54. I'll put up with it but you should get out while you can.

Don't bother with college..the student loan bubble is about to burst and a lot of colleges are getting ready to go bust. Trump probably won't save them.

Just the sheer weight of my ignorance of things I'm supposed to already know and my tendency to procrastinate and be unorganized. I love working with the kids but I am not good at it.
True dat.
Thank you very much for your learned input. Truly.

Good point and I think that would be a great thing. Many colleges desperately NEED to go bust so that something better can replace them.

Sauce of the girl? I need an HD picture of her and make an cum tribute video.

None of this is doing me any good.. teaching kids is my only real talent. I love it, but I don't want to WORK at it, if that makes any sense.

School systems are fucked. Public schools have almost zero support from parents, they somehow manage to squander billions in taxpayer dollars every year and still plead for more, the unions fight to keep shitty teachers in and the good teachers have to work twice as hard to take up the slack, and the kids have no inspiration at all and turn into miserable little fucks for the last two years of high school.

It's daunting. I prefer to teach at the volunteer level, as a tutor or an aide running programs and the like.

An example of why I perhaps shouldn't be a teacher: My lesson plans for the next week were due Thursday evening--This afternoon at the latest--and I haven't got the first one done. I have to do 15.

YO! I'm another teacher here. I'm starting my six year. It totally does get better. If This is your first year, ride it out. Establish yourself some healthy habits for eating and exercise, and sleep. If you don't have those, ask some friends or colleagues to help you out. This is a VERY stressful job, and your colleagues are there to help you.

You're second year will be SO MUCH EASIER than your first year. You will have establish yourself in the school, the community will respect you, and students will look forward to having the "cool new teacher." If your dude, you have an advantage there.

For real man, treat all the women and girls you work with with respect. Sup Forums is a piece of shit. Reddit is a piece of shit. Be real. Be good. Ask for help when you need it.

What state are you in? If you teach something currently in demand in NY you're pulling close to 100k with amazing benefits and pension. Factor in vacations and in-services and low stress and you're pulling the equivalent of someone making 150+ in terms of lifestyle.

Mind you I still got out because Socratic method is actively discouraged, "active, inquiry-based learning" means let 85% hang themselves and consult at arm's length with the 15% that don't need you, and IEP proliferation makes your room a ticking time-bomb. You ignore them based on time constraints and hope you never hit the perfect storm where parents of damaged goods actually want paperwork showing you're following the recommendations.

Teaching is shit but it's mostly incredibly easy shit. If you don't have the work ethic for this you're only going to go down the ladder. Take an overdose of pills, you likely lack the fortitude for anything messier.

Don't live your life as someone else told you to. You only have 1 life so do whatever the fuck YOU want to. Stuff like depression wouldn't be a thing if everyone just learns to not care about other peoples expectations and opinions.

The only opinions and expectations that matters in your life is your own opinion and whoever the fuck is currently putting food on your plate. Everybody else and fuck themselves.

and here you are on Sup Forums

I just googled "teacher".
Unfortunately, volunteer level won't pay my bills well enough.

Thank you for the advice. I may heed it.
Nowhere near 100k. That might actually inspire me to try harder. Thank you for the advice, though I am not an overdose sort of person. I would want to be conscious up to the point of actual death.
My wife is the one paying the bills the last two years while I go back to school and she is the one who pushed me to go back to school and become a teacher to begin with.
Exactly. I asked my wife which she would prefer between me killing myself and quitting and she said she would prefer I quit given those two options. Of course, my current predicament is nowhere near the only reason I would consider suicide.

give it time, fgt. you'll get used to it.

What bills?

Thank you for that. I may.

Any of you teach in florida? i'm debating teaching high school english here or pursuing a phd in the same out of state.

Rent, two car payments, school loan acquired becoming a teacher, etc.

Dictation results in beat up Martha.

I love my wife too much to beat her, but you have a good point. She is a pushy bitch sometimes.

>Just now realizing I may not be cut out to be a role model and instructor of children
>posts of Sup Forums
No shit nigger, anyone who posts on Sup Forums is not cut out to be a fucking teacher

The fact that you're still yammering on about work six weeks into your vacation should indicate to he that you're not happy in getting "pushed" into this.

faik it til you maik it

awl teechers due

I said I teach science, not fucking.

Thank you.

10th grade English teacher here.

The trick is to find a poor area that needs teacher's badly. My principal doesn't really care about how well the kids score as long as things remain calm and the kids aren't fighting each other. It's super chill. Because it's a title 1 school they pay off your loans after 5 years.

If you teach in a nice area there's less crime, but the rich kids are worse than the ghetto thug kids when it comes to behavior. And the rich kids parents are always bothering you.

Also check the pay rates. I teach in GA and make 48,000 a year, but my buddy in Florida only makes 36,000 and he's a math teacher (who usually make much more than English teachers)

Honestly it's the perfect job if you can get yourself at the right school. I mostly teach hispanic kids. They're really well behaved, and their parents rarely bother you because they often don't speak English.

Sounds like good advice. Thank you.

Just work on your lesson plan and deliver it as best as possible. What else are you expected to do? Teaching is cosy job unless you're emotionally involved in raising these fuckers, that's not your job by the way. Deliver the lesson plan, then go home and plan your holidays - that's your job.

If kids have serious problems, push them onto a counselor or the vice principle. If they don't have a serious problem, tell them to man up.

Stop getting emotionally involved with other people's problems.

I heard Hawaii is desperately looking for teachers right now.
If you have the courage to up and move to an island paradise, they pretty much pay for everything.

just teach a few children you like but don't make it look like you favor them.
For the rest just blame the parents, tell them their kids have an attention problem or autism or something but are otherwise exceptionally intelligent. The parents just have support their children more. Take the few kids you actually teach something as and excample to show off its not your fault for bad teaching

That might be a valid point of view. I find it hard not to care, though--about people in general.

No one ever has any idea what the fuck they're doing, especially if they just started something. We're all pretending to not be massively confused about everything. So just pretend in front of the students and ask for tips from your fellow co-workers.

Not the OP, but also a teacher.

I made that mistake the first year. It would bother me if the kids got an attitude and leave me in a bad mood. Now I'm a stone cold killer.
I used to do anime club because I though it would be nice for the nerdy kids to have a club.

Now I don't even do that because honestly fuck staying late after work for free. My time is simply more valuable to me than their time.
I don't dislike the kids, but they don't have to be the center of your life.

you're on the wrong website, buddy. This is misanthrope city.

good advice user. you can't care too much or you will burn out. ultimately you can't make anyone learn anything and you're not a surrogate parent.

I might actually consider Hawaii if this year doesn't go well but I don't want to leave my boss in the lurch. She is one of the coolest bosses possible.

This is terrible advice. Telling a parent that there is something wrong with their kids is a sure way to start trouble.
Just keep proof of their test scores and say something positive like "I know Timmy could do much better if he tried" Even if you're lying it makes them feel like you're on their side.

teachers are retarded lol

easy money, they just babysit retards

parents teach kids

I will attempt it to some extent.
I do sometimes feel misanthropic. I get discouraged concerning humanity and want to walk into the fucking woods and never come back occasionally.
That is what I've been thinking for a while: You can lead a horse to water and try to beat him into drinking the shit, but he still might choose to die of thirst like a dumbass.

If parents taught kids they wouldn't be such retards,would th--oh, wait. Nevermind.

he said he just fucking started, are you stupid?

sounds like you can be a teacher

>You can lead a horse to water and try to beat him into drinking the shit, but he still might choose to die of thirst like a dumbass.
yeah but i should mention that i'm a graduate teaching assistant at a university so because i'm teaching adults they have the right to not pay attention and fail the course. in some states though, you can't be that hands off because if your students fail the standardized tests that reflects on your performance as a teacher and you risk being fired.

If someone is on the autism spectrum, can they ever be a good teacher?

are you trolling or is that a real question?

Real question, but think "pretty high-functioning".

>I asked my wife which she would prefer between me killing myself and quitting and she said she would prefer I quit given those two options

Jesus dude. Just fucking quit after the whole semester. You have a degree at least.

Depends on what level. You need enough social skills to know when to keep your mouth shut. The less you say outside of the lesson itself, the better.
It took me a while to realize that most of what you say isn't important and can only be used against you somehow.
A robot shut in can be a functioning teacher, but a legit autist could not .

idk much about autism other than that i browse Sup Forums but i can tell you that i have social anxiety and it never really gets in the way of teaching. there's always material to be covered. i don't see my students as friends or potential fucks (well i try not to do the latter). socializing with other graduate students is a lot more difficult for me than teaching undergraduates.