What is more dangerous? driving above the speed limit, or below?

what is more dangerous? driving above the speed limit, or below?

Depends on traffic and weather

above. that way you spend less time on the road.

it's a general question to allow room for a bit of discussion. Can you please elaborate?

My girfriend was making fun of my driving, saying that she is genuinely scared because I drive below the speed limit. But I was tired after 9 hours of work and driving 2 hours to her, plus driving in a new area.

Meanwhile she likes to do racing and says she always drive above the speed limit. 70 and such in 50 mile zones.

Broad question here but likely below given all possible scenario.

As a person who literally just drove 3 hrs running mostly 80-90mph, i can tell you its the slower drivers. More specifically, slower drives that clog.up.and block the faster lanes of traffic and prevent the faster drivers get around them... This leads to the aggressive and wreckless maneuvers that sometimes cause accidents. Yes, the aggressive may have caused the accident, but the root of the problem was the slow driver. There's a few studies that prove this, search for it and read them

well if you just drive 100 mph in a 30 zone for 1 minute, it will be the least dangerous because once you die, you can never have an accident again. Right? Right....

>Sup Forums

this is like saying ''the cause of rape is the women who are attractive''. No, the cause for rape are the rapists. Being an attractive woman increases the risk sure, but it's not her fault.

I'm new, I drive 40 in a 50 zone, but if someone else decides to make a dangerous manouver, it's their fault, not mine. They're not the police/firefighters/ambulance, where are they in such a rush to go to?

>Being an attractive woman increases the risk sure

That's exactly what he was asking. Who's fault it is has nothing to do with it. Is it more or less dangerous to be attractive? Is it more or less dangerous to drive faster than the speed limit?

yeah, it's better to go 50 in a 50 zone, but my point was to make the analogy that it's not the driver's fault just because he was going 40. It was the fault of the person who was impatient and started overtaking.

I hope it makes sense?

only if you STAY ABOVE 50 so the bus doesnt explode

We get what you're saying. It doesn't make sense because what you're saying is stupid. If you can't drive the speed limit, stay off the road.

I'm with you. Just thought it was a bad analogy since who's at fault is not really the question. I guess if you factor in the 'danger' of being at fault and thus fucking your insurance and everything else then maybe it should be considered.

well excuse me, mister F1/nascar expert, but last time I checked... you don't own the road. Not everyone was born an expert like you, and some of us work unlike you, at stressful jobs, and have long commutes. Some of us are new drivers. Deal with it, the road is public. Where are you in such a hurry to go to, anyway? You're in a hurry to go home to post on Sup Forums?

It's a speed limit, not a speed target.

Weather is a huge factor in traffic injury rates.

I think the statistics support that slow drivers are disproportionately the cause of pileups, as the cars around them tailgate and undertake risky maneuvers to overtake the slow driver.

Someone speeding and/or DUI is the still the leading cause of two or single vehicle accident fatalities.

You're right. The road is public.
So follow the publicly accepted etiquette.
You're not a special snowflake that has the right to be an inconvenience to others. Drive with the pack or get the fuck out of the way.

Slow drivers that block up the fast lane and make traffic bottle neck behind them and ride right beside of the other slow drivers in the other lanes are the "problem causing slow drivers".. If you want to run slow over to the right lanes, great. Fast lane "squatting" is actually illegal here in NC now

I drive the speed limit in the passing lane to watch the face of the angry redneck behind me sometimes

who is she???

oh well I'm so sorry to be an inconvenience to you milord, let's just kill all the handicap and elderly people since they're an ''inconvenience'' to the rest of us. I mean who gives them the right to be an inconvenience?

I think you got a bit too much testostorone there, kiddo. Learn to chill a bit, the road is not yours. driving 40 in a 50 zone is well within the law, so I think you need to recheck the law. Law, not ''etiquette''.

How about... it's the accepted etiquette to allow other people to drive on the road as well without harassing them? Kinda makes you look like a hypocrite.

Does a 2 lane mostly residential area still have a fast lane or is this just the highway? According to your NC law or whatever the fuck.

But women are fast drivers
The rapists are the slow drivers.
Because rape is for cowards.
If they wanted us to go slow they wouldn't make vehicles that go fast. :p
Obtain better training and level up or stay the fuck out of the fast lane.

Speed limits were based on car technology in the 50's + traffic patterns + reaction times. if weather is not a factor you should be driving 5-10 over. you are far more likely to get pulled over and even written up for impeding operation if you are going under the limit.

An american schoolteacher I believe, but she has the world record for 'most balls held in mouth at one time'.

Sorry pal. Hate to knock you off your moral high ground here but if you drive 10mph below the speed limit, you're the asshole.

If you're going 40 in a 70 >you deserve to die

I'm going 1 in a 100 mph zone

neither really
studies comparing the German and US high speed road systems show that speed is a very minor factor in causing accidents, and is only a major factor in accidents after they have started as a damage multiplier

good traffic behavior is by far more important in driving safety
>signaling turns and lane changes
>maintaining lane integrity
>route planning
>proper following distance
>allowing traffic to merge
>keeping to the right hand lanes except to pass slower traffic
>not creating rolling road blocks (aka not matching speed to lateral traffic)

Applesauce

Caveat then; I live in Altanta, where we have a minimum highway speed limit of 45. Our interstates say 55, and everyone drives 80-90. I exceed 100 consistently on my bike. Now, there is a perfectly good lane to be a slow piece of shit in off on the right. Two of them, maybe three depending on the size of the road. Why the hell would you block our couple passing speeding lanes when you're the exact kind of person even normies pass around. Be courteous, and give space to pass on the left.

He did a poor job explaining but in the US slower traffic is suppose to keep right. In some states it's illegal to drive in the left lane if you're not passing someone.

A good rule of thumb is never drive the same speed as cars next to you. Always stay a few mph away from the speed of cars in the adjacent lanes. This way cars can still get around slow drivers without having to get too aggressive. It sort of creates opportunities for passing.

You should also consider this in a more pragmatic fashion. Sure, the moral responsibility for causing accidents is on the aggressive driver that's speeding, but that's a poor justification for increasing the risk to yourself and others. It's like antagonizing the big idiot at the bar because it's illegal for him to hit you. He will still hit you. But to make it a fair comparison, he's going to hit you so hard you die and potentially a few other patrons. And also some children and a baby that didn't do anything wrong. You could save those lives by expending a modicum of effort. Don't antagonize the big idiot. Keep right if you're going to drive slow. If somebody wants to get around you, let them. It's hardly any effort for you and you can prevent people from dying.

The world is how it is. People are the way that they are. There will always be crime and evil. Take a moment to assess your priorities before you make decisions to spite those that are comfortable doing wrong. A lecture about moral responsibility never stopped a rape. Walking around rapesville is probably more wise than walking into rapesville armed only with a lecture about who ought to do what.

It might save your life and the lives of others if you let the speedy drivers pass. Alternatively, if you don't, you'll at best get some emotional gratification. You are risking lives for gratification.

Such a badass. I keep broken pieces of porcelain from spark plugs from work in the ashtray of my truck, and for the extra special fuck tards like you who either do it intentionally or are just too ignorant to realize what they're doing, I'll throw a few pieces into the air once i ever do get around them and in front of them... porcelain makes very easy work of windshields. And no, that doesn't make me a badass, just an ass

A two lane road (one lane both directions), no. A four or more lane road (two or more lanes going in the same direction), if you paid attention in driver's Ed you will remember that the left lane (s) are for passing (faster traffic), and slower traffic is supposed to stay in the right lanes. Some of the highways even have signs that say "slower traffic keep right", because it's how it's supposed to be, because it's safer and causes less accidents

Driving below for sure. It impedes traffic and other people have to make quick, faster moves to get around whoever's being an asshole.

On the same token driving fast in bad weather is dangerous as well.

Just so you know. If you were doing your Driving License Exam in the UK they would have failed you for doing that.

You are supposed to keep with the flow of traffic but not exceed the posted speed limits.

If there's no one around then its fine however if you in traffic you should be going with the flow not causing tailbacks.

You are just as dangerous as those that drive over the speed limit.

Finally, to awnser OP driving below the limit is more dangerous.

Good man.

Is a bolt action rifle more dangerous than a shotgun?

above is more dangerous. faster crashes have higher rate of injuries and death.

obviously driving way to slow on the highway makes it likely you will be hit.. as long as they arent going way above the speed limit no ones going to die.

>Such a badass.

getting mad and assaulting someone because someone is following the law... all my wut. probably full of shit tho.

Driving under the limit is not following the law.

No person shall drive upon a highway at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation, because of a grade, or compliance with the law.

Technically you're wrong. Most speed limits are upper limits. Some places have lower limits though.

speed limits are arbitrary, they should not exist

On perkhele liian montha muuthtujaa täshä nythe.

I'd say below, but it depends on how much of a difference we're talking. Going 5 or 10 under is more dangerous than over but going 20+ over is just dangerous. The most dangerous thing on the toad though is a lack of situational awareness. You can't just expect everyone around you to drive correctly. I's consider myself a very safe driver because I drive a piece of shit. I always have to know how much room I have, where all the other cars are, who's way I might be in and how to safely get out of the way. Then you have jaded soccer moms in brand new minivans not even using signals, mirrors or proper acceleration, while making liberal use of their anti-lock brakes while dictating to facebook.

This so fucking much.