"Rock is a dead art form in a lot of ways...

"Rock is a dead art form in a lot of ways. I just remember being so excited that we were playing with [Pearl Jam] and Smashing Pumpkins, because it was just an exciting time for rock music. A lot of times, especially recently, I look at rock music as kind of a dead form in a lot of ways. Nothing to take away from us and [Pearl Jam], because obviously I believe we’re relevant bands that come with a real energy," he continued.

"But if you’re a kid today, and you get in a rock band, it’s like – when we were kids, when I said I want to be in a rock band and that’s what I'm doing for my life, that’s what I was going to do, no question. You’d get: ‘You are a fucking lunatic, you are crazy. You’re never going to get a decent job in your life. What are you doing? You’re ruining your life.”

“I was like fuck it, I don’t care, this is what I want to do, this means everything to me, I found a home. I’ve been a weird, neurotic, loner kid all my life, I was always the kid you called fag in high school, punk rock gave me a home. But nowadays, you decide you want to be in a rock band it’s like, ‘Oh great, let’s get you an image consultant, and a lawyer, and a manager, and let’s see what we can do here. It’s a great money-making opportunity for you.”

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=album&year=2017&genre_include=1&include_child_genres=1&genres=&include_child_genres_chk=1&include=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=
rbt.asia/mu/thread/74120682/#74121668
twitter.com/AnonBabble

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg

damn
really made me think

>Nothing to take away from us and [Pearl Jam], because obviously I believe we’re relevant bands that come with a real energy

>RHCP
>PJ
>relevant
>2017

sure op, except no one believes you can actually make money playing rock

I feel like Rock in a classic/90's rock sense is pretty much a dead stagnant genre, and that progressive metal kind of took its place. Maybe not in popularity, but in experimenting with different things and coming up with new sounds

>Rock is a dead art form
>Implies grunge bands were saviors of it
Oh, boy.

See, the mistake he makes is implying that Smashing Pumpkins and Pearl Jam are interesting.

Butbutbut muh evul hair meytal

this

this quotation must be really old. i'll agree that rock is definitely dying, but not in a commercialized way. it's dying because guitar music isn't cool anymore. even listening to imagine dragons instead of the xxl c/o 17 makes you a hipster to most people

>it's dying because guitar music isn't cool anymore
Well yeah, no record label promotion and all that.

Actually it's dying because of old faggots like Foo Fighters and RHCP who won't go away.

>it's dying because guitar music isn't cool anymore
>"Guitar music"
Please tell me you're not actually serious with this. Either way:
rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=album&year=2017&genre_include=1&include_child_genres=1&genres=&include_child_genres_chk=1&include=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=
Plenty of "guitar music" here.

^This.

>It’s a great money-making opportunity for you.”
Flea confirmed for downs syndrome

this quote is a good example of how becoming a millionaire dipshit completely disconnects you from reality

>You’d get: ‘You are a fucking lunatic, you are crazy. You’re never going to get a decent job in your life. What are you doing? You’re ruining your life

Is he implying that this isn't the case today?

It's been so long since RHCP were gigging in Los Angeles clubs during the early 80s that Flea has completely forgotten where they and all bands start.

>Rock is a dead art form in a lot of ways
why is it always buttrockers saying this

Yessum, everyone gets old and cynical when they realize that corporate America will inevitably co-opt whatever music you make and we end up with Nickelback and Staind.

>‘Oh great, let’s get you an image consultant, and a lawyer, and a manager, and let’s see what we can do here. It’s a great money-making opportunity for you.
The average suburban kid playing in his parents' garage doesn't have access to this shit.

this is a terrible list and using rym automatically makes you a trendy pleb

Flea lives in a mansion in Beverly Hills surrounded by image consultants/lawyers/managers, he doesn't remember the real world anymore.

i mean RHCP is definitely relevant, they're probably the only mainstream rock band that people of all ages still care about

>when we were kids, when I said I want to be in a rock band and that’s what I'm doing for my life

What if he didn't make it and was in his 40s, would he still live for rock?

>i mean RHCP is definitely relevant
>entire decade now without a charting hit

I took it as he's saying that the business aspect is more important now.....which is weird because thats how it was back then when everyones main goal is to get signed, be on MTV and get rich doing it.

But i dont even see how thats a bad thing. Most smallish bands that get to actually tour all over the place and be somewhat succesful have great Management and marketing.

and rock music is fine, its just not mainstream as fuck anymore. Agree hes kinda detached from reality. Also, you get old and get that "well back in my day" syndrome.

>implying they don't sell out stadiums regularly
ask any under 21 kid what their favorite bands are. I guarantee you RHCP will be mentioned by most of them.

People care about them the same way they care about their other favorite 90's/early 00's bands.

Nobody is going to their show hoping they play stuff off The Getaway.

>ask any under 21 kid what their favorite bands are. I guarantee you RHCP will be mentioned by most of them.
Is this 1992?

you're genuinely incorrect.
Most of the parties I've been to this year have played songs off that album. I have friends who are only into hip hop and they played that album a lot. I understand you spend all your time on Sup Forums but if you took a step outside you'd see that people do actually listen to RHCP.

I honestly couldn't even name a song from IWY or The Getaway.

He's right. Rock died when the Telecommunications Act of 1996 passed and the (((record labels))) themselves were able to decide what became popular by playing their own hand-selected trash so much that people just get used to it and buy it up.

You can still go online and find good stuff through considerable exploration but the days of NEET losers who dedicated themselves to finding and playing good music from their basements ended and along with it the culture of being able to go out and see that amazing local band you just heard over the air.

>and the (((record labels))) themselves were able to decide what became popular by playing their own hand-selected trash so much that people just get used to it and buy it up
That's how it always worked though.

Speaking as someone old enough to remember Mother's Milk, RHCP should have quit after John Frusciante left the first time. I can't imagine that if I were 14 in 2006, I would have found the bloated dadrock mess on Stadium Arcadium cool.

lmao go away Anthony Kiedis you should've retired after Frusciante quit. Did those parties take place in mall food courts?

It's the same guy from yesterday trying to convince everyone that Fallout Boy and Blink 182 are still relevant.

>this is a terrible list
Of course. I just provided an example. And how did you possibly deduce I listen to artists in that list?

>he thinks a band being relevant means that its good
get over yourself buddy, quit jacking off to Sup Forumscore and go socialize.

>everyone on Sup Forums is the same
how new are you?

The album tour for TG supposedly is the last big world tour they're planning. I guess the market for big stadium rock just isn't there anymore.

rbt.asia/mu/thread/74120682/#74121668

This is him.

Tom Petty is on his last big tour as well but he's close to 70 so I'd understand why he wants to retire. RHCP are only in their 50s though, Paul McCartney and the Rolling Stones sure had no sign of retiring at that age.

McCartney and the Stones were in their 50s during the Clinton years; rock was still huge then. The market for big rock has shrunk dramatically since the late 2000s.

I was about 14 and I found some songs horrendous but some godly.

I was into dad rock at the time though tbf.

Nah man, nobody from the 90s-early 2000s is still relevant with the strange exception of Beyonce.

I was 13 when Stadium Arcadium came out and the solo on Dani California instantly made me a fan of them. I didnt like them before that because i had heard give it away on guitar hero and thought they were some party bro type band.

Stadium Arcadium is one of my favorite by them, Frusciante kills it with the overdubs on that album.

Not that guy but i saw them ~2011 on the IWY tour and there was a shitload of middle schoolers that were into that album. Extremely diverse crowd in all aspects.

Wether you think they're crap or not is an entirely different issue, but those dudes def get a shitton new fans with every album.

>and the solo on Dani California instantly made me a fan of them
Nice stolen Tom Petty song btw.

Get offa Sup Forums, Anthony.

It's more so the case today, I mean he just fucking said rock is dead hence compounding the ruining of the aspiring rockers life. Does he have fucking dementia?

>Does he have fucking dementia?
Must have been the years of smack and nose candy.

Looks like I don't have to listen to any of your shit

>they're probably the only mainstream rock band that people of all ages still care about
Don't you mean Foo Fighters?

Nobody likes FF except 10 year olds and fat lazy 30-40 year old men with beer guts, ie. the Homer Simpson demographic.

Nah, no teenage girl cares about the Foo Fighters

not an argument
RHCP is still relevant fucking hell is everyone on Sup Forums autistic? RHCP goes on global arena tours every year and make millions.

He never implied that once.

You're right, they like an industry plant fake indie chick like Lana Del Ray.

>RHCP is still relevant fucking hell is everyone on Sup Forums autistic?
They haven't had a charting hit since John left.

Yeah this. Rock in any form hasn't been mainstream for nearly 10 years. You can make an argument like this but at the end of the day all those people are their old fans or Tumblr/internet kids, Green Day, RHCP, Fallout Boy, etc are all done as viable commercial acts, none of those bands are putting out good new material or making new fans. Kids in middle school aren't losing their shit over them in masses like they're the coolest thing ever and talking about how relatable their lyrics are. The only music acts that come close these days are 21 Pilots and a couple soundcloud rappers like xxxtentacion.

Who cares? Charting hits are not an indication of relevance. Iggy Azalea had one in 2014 and how is she doing?

>Equating 21 pilots and X
No. I'd give you 21 pilots making waves and garnering tons of fans but X isn't even close. He's a young thug type famous right now.

>implying tumblr and internet kids don't make up the majority of the generation

>Charting hits are not an indication of relevance

Speak of the devil.

For a pop rock/hits band like RHCP they sure are and they haven't had any in how long?

Yeah, that. The whole problem with Sup Forums is that it's filled with tryhard fedora indiefags who snub any artist that gets radio play.

Based Billy saw the writing on the wall when he broke up the Pumpkins originally back in 2000

RHCP should have quit the second time JF left.

Bebe rehxa has charting hits and I know an astounding 0 people who talk about her irl

RHCP were already washed up momrock by the 2000s, let alone now.

This, a lot of notable rockstars say stuff like this but in a more sensible and thoughtful way, making it more about the state of pop culture instead an obvious bias against things that were made after they stopped being teenagers/young adults.

It's happening just like in the early 90s when a lot of artists from the 80s didn't managed to stay.

how early 2000s are we talking about here
The College Dropout came out in 2004

Fall Out Boy should have stayed dead after Folie a Deux

How the fuck are Kiss, Springsteen, AC/DC, U2, etc not still relevant? They fill up stadiums and tour everywhere.

Nah, just his shitty over the hill band.

>Rock is a dead art form
Cliche alert. I've been reading old Bowie interviews from the 70s lately, and he's said that several times so far. I vaguely remember Thom Yorke saying it years ago, too. Hell, Marilyn Manson even did a song about it over twenty years ago.

>not an argument
The OP contained no arguments lol.

went to one of RHCPs shows in NC back in april. theyre still great, i think the getaway was pretty good. they just are a shell of their former selves. its going to take a fucking miracle to remake what under the bridge, californication, etc did in terms of relevancy.

>its going to take a fucking miracle to remake what under the bridge, californication, etc did in terms of relevancy.
Yeah, it's called John Frusciante rejoining the band.

>But nowadays
>It’s a great money-making opportunity for you

Is he retarded?
Everything he said is backwards.

Frusciante's real gift, more than his guitar skills, which are decent but not amazing, is his songwriting/pop sensibility. Without him, they just can't figure out how to write a good song. Back in the Hillel days, they were just mediocre funk jam shit and since he's gone, sort of same thing. He could take Anthony's lyrics and form them into a proper song with melodies, and sometimes also add his own lyrics, particularly on By The Way.

>i think the getaway was pretty good

The album is mostly Anthony musing about whether he's too old for this 19 year old gf he had. Whatever else you can say, it gets points for sincerity while most bands their age would just be trying to make paint-by-numbers versions of their old albums.

Yes I will give RHCP credit for avoiding becoming a nostalgia act. They don't generally play their old stuff that much.

#1 on the "Rock" chart means nothing, it's just one of those sub-charts that exclude everything else so there's a specific context where you can claim something is a "#1 hit." A bad excuse for publicists to lie.

>rock
>art form

So do The Eagles, that doesn't make them relevant.

Yeah any bands like the Eagles, Springsteen, AC/DC, etc just play to the same crowd of 50 something dudes with balding pates and ponytails who pretend they're still 17 and the band is still cool and relevant and they'll pay to see the same show with the the same Greatest Hits setlist ad infinitum.

typical "back in my day I had to walk uphill in the snow both ways" bullshit

every generation has unique challenges to face, he's just talking shit because he's losing relevancy and wants to seem superior

it's a lot easier to make music now, but that means there's more competition.

Every genre eventually sells out and something new and fresh takes its place. Most recently, it was hip hop. Previous to that was rock.

Of course, but not in the top 40 realm. Progressive rock and its subgenres along with experimental rock and its subgenres have been recognized and analyzed by the academia.

Kind of. At first he sounds very aware and accepting of the state of the music industry. But then he ruins it at the end by bitching about labels manufacturing artists. Which, is true to some extent, but it's been going on for decades and has always existed beside more genuine and boundary pushing artists.

So I guess perhaps you're right.

>Relevant=Teenagers listen to it
It's funny how this is always the point in that "argument". relevancy is always equated with "the youth".

same age, and I totally feel this way, too. It's bizzare to me how people generally are into their current albums, but especially young folks. I mean, I liked plenty of "old" bands when I came up, but when I got into the Stones, I didn't run out and buy Steel Wheels, I bought Some Girls and Let It Bleed. OTOH, I did buy REM Green when it was current as my entry to them and I still dig it, but that was my cut-off, Out of Time sucked. So I get how maybe a new record can be an entry. But it seems RHCP fans are all on board for the wack shit. And I was really into them for Uplift Mofo-BSSM, it's like a betrayal almost. I ain't mad at 'em, but I cannot listen to them anymore.

everyone listens to RHCP, that's the point. They have such a wide range of fans, both the youth and the old

The mistake you make is implying that SP isn't the single best rock band of the 90's. You literally cannot name a rock album since MCIS that is unarguably better.

No, its dying because nobody will step in to replace them. The number of rock bands who are actually good and make accessible music is almost zero. Every good rock band, of which their are few, around now has either no talent or doesn't make music that could ever be mainstream. Besides RHCP have actually released some pretty great tracks on their last several albums. SA is amazing and their two albums since then have some gems amidst the fluff.