Has a film ever changed your life, drastically altered your way of thinking about the planet...

Has a film ever changed your life, drastically altered your way of thinking about the planet, or made you experience ego death?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BpaRouocBes
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Seeing Adaptation as a young man had a pretty profound effect on me. made me a lot less scared of other people and the world.
Lawrence of Arabia had the same effect in a smaller way.

Waking Life somewhat changed me back in high school. Now I deal with my existential crisis that hits me hard every once in a while and don't know how to get over it

Well, user.

That is pretty hard to achieve without certain substances, or meditation.

Enter the Void, in a sense, depicts that process in an interesting way.

>Waking Life
Good choice user.

As for your existensial issues, I can recommend (as Waking Life does), getting into lucid dreaming. It allows you to consciously confront your fears in a safe, blissful and loving space (your inner consciousness). Start by writing a dream journals, doing reality checks, suddenly you'll realize you're dreaming. Ask the dream "How can I solve this thing I'm struggling with?" and the answer will be given to you.

inb4 heebie jeebie bullshit, it is legit and it works. Requires dedication and practice, but it works.

Dream caused my ego death. Or 8 months of very lucid dreaming. Was very dank.

I suppose Malick spoke to me in some way that changed my thinking : ) Probably the only director.

BvS made me into the masculine man I am today

BvS: The Ultimate Edition

I've had some very lucid dreams before but I'm not fully conscious in them. I make my own decisions in them but I don't realize I'm dreaming. Idk it's weird. I will try what you said, having a dream journal and shit. I really wanna have a full lucid dream because flying in your dreams feels fucking amazing.

Mind sharing some highlights from your time with LD? What were some of the most 'inspring' moments and how did you achieve them?

Also, do you meditate? If yes, which practice do you do?

Is that an Evans tornado?

i have never had lucid dreams in my life no matter how hard i try. i did instead cause sleep paralysis which is one of the worst things i have ever felt now im too scared to try again, would not recommend.

I'm still a neet, but now I feel even worse about it.

youtube.com/watch?v=BpaRouocBes
Saw this from VHS when i was like 7years old.

"Satan" part gets me still, but what really destroyed me was how he created the claymen and killed them without consience. It is what got me most and made my parents hate themselfs for showing it to me, as it lead to many bedtime questions about how futile whole life is and why would God create us just to suffer and die.

Lives of Others. There's good in all of us.

>I've had some very lucid dreams before but I'm not fully conscious in them.

My friend, what you are describing is a vivid dream, not lucid. Once you have a lucid dream, you'll know it in the core of your being. It is a euphoria unlike anything else I've experienced, the realization of ultimate and boundless freedom. You can literally do anything, you are free from fear and darkness, and you can, in this space, summon that one nagging cloud that's been bothering you for all those years, and confront it.

My experience, dealing with heavy social anxiety during a time of my life:

I realize I have a lucid dream, I feel the rush and euphoria of total and utter freedom. I tell myself "I want to be rid of my social anxiety". Suddenly, a group of my friends show up, and I am giving them a lecture, but instead of my fear (that they would reject it and/or laugh at it) the response is a caring, accepting look from them all.

Next morning, I take the initiative and go out to meet my friends, I talk and share and communicate like I've never done before, it was literally like magic. However, this confidence might wane with time, so the trick is to make it part of your routine. But it is truly some powerful shit, and it's a shame it's not an obligatory part of ordinary education IMO.

Anyway if you have any questions feel free to ask.

There's also evil in all of us.

12 Angry Men.

Life is worth it.
Stand up for your beliefs.
Apply logic.

There are a number of lessons I learned from, and continue to learn with each viewing of this movie.

I didn't meditate. I never asked for the lucid dreams. I dreamed of dying for about 8 months, it was rather.. weird. Every night, the moment of death in my dreams. Driven over by truck, pierced by metals, getting shot and I was aware of it yet I couldn't change it. It was always the 'moment' of death I dreamed of. The dream of getting shot to head was really weird as I felt I lost control of my body and how it shut down. Was seriously fucking weird.

It was sort of a fear for me but now, not at all. I died so many times, might sound pretentious, but been there done that for hundreds of times now.

This sounds amazing but i have never been able to have a lucid dream it's sound like fantasy to me since you have control how long do these lucid dreams last?

You're right, I guess they were just really vivid dreams. I hope I get the same luck as you because I'm also struggling with some bad social anxiety. Wish me luck man, I'm gunna start my dream journal tonight.

No, but a few films had very slightly altered my way of thinking about certain things.

Anyone who takes what they know and DRASTICALLY alters their entire mindset because of a movie is a fucking idiot.

Conan the Barbarian

Also I think that needed a crutch to improve yourself is pitiable

this probably sounds fucking stupid but i watch limitless any time i want to feel confident.
and it works for me, which matters most i guess.

This

>You ain't me

>how long do these lucid dreams last?
It depends of your ability to 'stabilize' the dream. Remember that scene from Inception where the dream 'breaks down'? That also happens during lucid dreams. Basically, you have to maintain a very high level of focus to keep the dream going. Longest I've gone is up to 1 hour (meaning that the things I am experiencing in the dream feel like they last for approx. 1 hour, although dream time is fuzzy, it's hard to say specifically.

Think of it as balancing on a rope, the rope is the dream, your balance is your lucidity. Masters of this skill (dream yogis) are able to go full nights completely lucid, and not lose it all. They literally use it as a practice for the 'bardo'-state, which is the intermediate state which you enter when you die (this is basically what the Tibetan Book of the Dead describes, hence my recommendation to watch Enter the Void).

Thing is, it's doable for anyone. You don't have to be a practitioner of some esoteric shit, you literally start writing down your dreams, start counting your fingers during the day and ask yourself "Am I dreaming?", and it will happen to you. It might take 2 weeks, it might take 1 month, it might take 1 day.

If you're interested in the stuff, there's tons of guides online, but pro-tip: Stick to the basics; dream journal and reality checks.

If you wanna go further down the spiritual rabbit hole, you can check out this book:

The Tibetan Yogis of Dream and Sleep by Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche

Happy to hear it buddy, and good luck.

No film has changed my life beyond how I watch other films, and I doubt any film has actually changed anyone's life in any significant way, unless you make films.

I didnt experience anything in the OP,however, withnail and I allowed me to look at life in a much more calming way and ultimately allowed me to be at peace with distancing myself from my friends.

>doesn't understand how muses, inspiration, insight, Shakubuku, or any other means of enlightenment can occur at any time.

Sorry to be that guy but... how do you know it's you controlling the dream and not the dream controlling your desires? In other words, it could be that you're not really lucid dreaming, just really enjoying a very vivid dream in which you are experiencing immediate wish-fulfillment. Then upon waking the idea you were in control seems very certain etc.

what you should actually draw from it is not to listen to liberals because they'll browbeat anyone into submission with emotions if you give them the chance no matter how guilty a minority is.

matrix... the part of the pills really made me think...

The Tree of Life

Thank you for your question user, and a very good one at that.

First of all let me clarify one thing. The amount of so-called 'control' you can exercise in a dream is limited, based on your expertise. So a person who has just gotten into lucid dreaming and experiencing it for the time, will most likely be so mind-blown by the realization of complete freedom, that it will toss him right back into either waking state, or 'unconscious dream-state'.

Secondly, how do I know that I am indeed the one controlling the dream, and not the dream controlling my desires. Well, I do not know how familiar you are with the phenomenon, but when I have a lucid dream, this includes that I am fully conscious, meaning that I have the realization that my physical body is actually lying in bed, sleeping right now, but I am currently walking around in this dream-world, fully aware that I am dreaming.

You point out something which is vital to the practice of LD, which is that your desires can indeed be your 'enemy' in the dream. If you desire a sexual act, this in turn can lead you to getting so absorbed in the experience that you actually lose your lucidity (awareness that you're dreaming) as a result.

But basically, the reason I know, is the same reason I know that when I in the waking state step into a blue car, I find myself in a blue car. It is extremely intuitive and simple when you have the experience. To a person new to the subject, it sounds more abstract and weird than it is.

In reality, the dream world has it's own kind of rules to it. Electronics generally don't work, time is weird, faces morph and change if you look away and then back at them. When you start learning about these different rules, it aids your ability to keep up the awareness that you are in a dream. The reason we do not have lucid dreams, is that we never question our day-to-day state of mind, we take it for granted that we know our current state of mind.

I'd say most of those things aren't as significant as people think. Films are replaceable variables in these instances, and do nothing but cater to an existing bias or thought that's already within. They may have influence, but it is minor and has less to do with the film than the individual.

Watching Inception while high on MXE.

I truly woke from that experience

Got capped out on my writing there, wanted to answer the second part of your question as well:

>Then upon waking the idea you were in control seems very certain etc.

That's where dream call comes in. The crucial part of the practice is to keep a dream journal, which gradually improves your memory of your dreams. Ever thought you had a long night's sleep but found it weird that you didn't dream at all? Well, you did, you just don't remember it. You might be surprized as to how small a detail one can actually recall from each dream when dream recall improves. The subtlest of emotions (even in non-lucid dreams) can be remember clear as day. So when you wake up, instead of that fuzzy feeling of "man that was a weeeird dream", and then going about your day, ultimately forgetting all about it, you are, with a better dream recall, able to remember each individual part of the dream, and whether or not it was lucid or not.

Another thing, immediate wish-fulfillment is not always the case in LD. I've had LDs where I wanted to summon a sniper rifle so that I could shoot at things for fun, instead I was summoned a toy water gun. Brute force wishing is not the way to go (in my experience) if you want something achieved in a LD. Instead, it is about visualizing (to teleport in a LD, you visualize yourself on that mountain top, then you're there).

While the practice of lucid dreaming can be used for awesome sex, fighting dragons and exploring space, it is also a vehichle for great spiritual development. It's an ancient tradition that's been widely recognized in eastern teachings for thousands of years.

I am by no means an expert, more of an eager practitioner, but I do have alot of experiences with the subject, and consider myself fairly familiar with the basics of the practice as well as the dream-world.

Anyway thanks for your question and sorry for the walls of text. I am maybe above average enthusiastic about this.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
Enemy
Children of Men
Eyes Wide Shut

The wind carries easier a leaf than a tree

also I too lucid dream, its pretty great

Fight Club really made me think about my life and its meaning.

this actually changed me. Not just "bruh fuck captalismz XD" but it actually changed my behavior and made me into a critical thinker. It got me in the way to learning other philosophies and I would be a swag fuckboy today if it wasnt for it

forgot 2001

Altered States. I'm now an ape

The Master
A Serious Man
No Country For Old Men

It's 'It ain't me'

And it wasn't even in the movie you cretin

Not a exactly a movie but NGE changed my life

Evangelion

>original series
>End of Evangelion

It killed cinema for me because I know I will never see anything else like it, ever.

>hard every once in a while and don't know how to get over it

Make sure you aren't "Gifted" before suffering too much. Look it up, it's not what you think.

Thats not egodeath

What is so good about this? People talk about it like it's the greatest thing ever made. I've never seen it but want to.

Don't know if you're still here LD sensei, but I wanted to ask: are there any risks or consequences to Lucid Dreaming? For example would it start to mess up your sleep cycle if you did it too frequently? And if there is risks/consequences to doing it recklessly, how do you go about it in a safe fashion?

To reiterate my point, if a movie has changed your life, you probably don't have much of a life in the first place.

Why can't some art change your perpective on things or move you in some sort of way?

watch the 26 ep series

Original series plus End of Evangelion. You'll understand.

It is the greatest thing I've ever seen.

Then the EoE movie. The series has a fake ending due to budget cuts. The film makes up for it and its ending will just obliterate your soul.

>ywn experience Evangelion for the first time again like this lad is about to

why live

the series ending is a lot stronger than the movie, which is simply the physical manifestation of something much bigger than that

Enter the Void
Princess Mononoke
Aguirre the Wrath of God
Last Year at Marienbad
Stalker
Faust
Koyaanisqatsi

Unironically this. It really helped me appreciate being alive and taught me to stop worrying about the lack of purpose. Probably helped that I really hated my job at the time.

Enter the void for sure

mfw I watched that entire movie sharing a bed with my cousin because somebody else was using the spare

0/10.

That sucks. Sorry to hear. Not a movie I'd like to watch with a relative

hippy faggots

Still here buddy, let me do my best to answer your questions:
>are there any risks or consequences to Lucid Dreaming?

No risk to your health whatsoever. One thing worth mentioning, which another user pointed out, is that you sometimes can experience sleep paralysis. For the unfamiliar, this can be quite the unpleasant experience, basically it entails that you feel like you're awake in your bed, but you are unable to move, and may experience difficulty of breathing, and sometimes even a scary presence in the world. While scary at first look, this is actually a great gateway into lucid dreaming. Essentially, it is a fail-safe mechanism in your brain, which blasts adrenaline into your body which in turn will cause you to wake up. It is an intermediate state between waking and sleeping. However, once you've experienced it, and learned what it is (a trick of the mind), you can use this to realize that you're breathing. The reason it frightens people is because they do not know what it is. When you know it, you instantly go "a-ha, so this is a dream!", and you get swooshed into dream land while being conscious of it.

As for sleep cycle, some techniques advise things such as waking up after 3 hours into sleep (this is when you usually enter deep sleep), and then re-focus your attention to "I will know that I am dreaming when I fall back asleep". This can naturally have a negative effect on your sleep if you are unable to go back to sleep, but is by no means necessary to attain lucidity.

The safest way to do it is the simplest way.
>Start a dream journal.
>Do reality checks
>Read up all you can about the subject (just reading about it, talking about it like you are now, actually improves your chances of attaining lucidity
>Find a technique you are comfortable with and which does not interfere too much with your sleep pattern
>Set your intention everynight before going to bed "When I dream, I will know that I am dreaming." or some other mantra that you like.

I think it impacted the viewing a bit. I wouldn't say we have the same relationship as the two main characters, but there are similarities.

Overall 10/10 would reassess my primary motives for existing again.

I doubt many films actually change a person's perspective. They can articulate and express and manipulate. A piece of art can be moving too. That isn't life changing.

>Overall 10/10 would reassess my primary motives for existing again

Yeah, I definitely agree with that. Glad you still had a good experience

Cool, I'll watch it soon

Surely it can't be that good... can it?

I fail to understand why you rate a fact that low.

It's pretty intense and unique, you'll be amazed. Don't read about anything before watching.

>Surely it can't be that good... can it?

It can. It was to me.

It's just fucking amazing. And yes, it all makes sense, though you may have to do some research afterwards.

I envy you. I'd pay loads to relive this experience.

Furthermore, when you actually have a successful lucid dream, you might be surprized how much more rested you will be upon waking. It's kind of ironic, that by being conscious while dreaming, and your mind being active, actually results in you being more rested and sleeping better.

If you're thinking about doing it, go right ahead. It changed my life, and many other people, for the better.

Sup Forums-related, I can strongly recommend watching Waking Life. I actually had a lucid dream the night after watching that film. PTA actually captures elements of the dream world very vividly, as well as the physics of it all.

how exciting!

Thanks man I really appreciate the advice, it was really helpful!

don't you mean Richard Linklater?

Chungking Express did.

Shame really made me take a look myself and I was unhappy.

The Comedy made me stop being such an ironic prick, really sobering film.

dont fall for the meme

>Synecdoche NY
>0 results

That along with Evangelion and The Master were my personal existentialist carpet-bombings

You sound like a fag. What movie will make you stop being a fag?

It depends
You'll probably enjoy it more if you're depressed or socially anxious/awkward

What's so deep about evangelion? I mean, isn't it some animu with giant robots fighting giant monsters?
Feel free to use spoilers, I don't mind.

Yes, my bad.

A biopic of you because he'll know what happens

>isn't it some animu with giant robots fighting giant monsters?

yes, at first. The thing is it takes a nosedive and takes you along for an existential ride that can't be quite clearly transported to words. In the end the epic fights are the least interesting part of the story.

No they themselves aren't inherently life-changing but they can certainly inspire a change in one's life. It all depends on what works for different people. Whether you believe it or not doesn't matter to me, but Casablanca inspired me move on from my ex-girlfriend and gain some perspective on our relationship and how I was behaving after we broke up. Rick Blaine's character arc in the movie helped me to be able to let go of her and I'm in a much better place than I was just a few months ago. Maybe that seems childish to you but it really did help my situation.

Synecdoche NY made me depressed. I still don't understand it completely but it is one of the best films I've ever seen.

>getting meme'd on
wew

To add to this, I binge watched the whole series in a night and after that I didn't get out of my bed for two whole days. I'm actually serious, that's how traumatizing it was.

Too late

I am both of those things

You'll find a lot of movies are "life changing" if you're depressed and have social anxiety, because you're not really living life - you live vicariously through a life of films, convincing yourself you've achieved something, while others have real experiences and form relationships and take risks and reap rewards.

Thanks again senpai, I'll follow your advice and hopefully it'll work out and I can gain some insight on what it is I truly want out of life.

Tarvosky's stalker really did a number on me. Especially the dream scene with the girl narrating in russian about the bible.

damn...

Can you give any details? I really wanna know what I'm getting myself into if I'm gonna get through all the robot fights.

>"It ain't me" starts saying

Do tell me, how Civil War and BvS changed your life user? It'd be eye opening to hear.

read the wiki if you wanna ruin the experience, be my guest. The big appeal of Eva is its sinister ambiance, ambiguous storytelling and not really letting you into things until the very end (perhaps not even after that)

95% of people are barely experiencing anything beyond their work and family life with an occasional """night out"""

It's not.