So Frank Zappa was the most important person in rock music right? He pretty much turned it into high art

So Frank Zappa was the most important person in rock music right? He pretty much turned it into high art.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/1GXHjxvSi24?t=78
youtube.com/watch?v=MS82nF85_gA
youtube.com/watch?v=Eab_beh07HU
youtube.com/watch?v=EDlogCcye98
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I hope you're not the same user who was sucking Zappa dick in those Beatles threads a while back

Rock was high art in the 50's, when it still had links to traditional music.

It became lower art with people like Zappa and McCartney.

I always see Zappa as kind of a US King Crimson. Started out a lot of great musicians careers. But musically I don't see his legacy having a lot of influence.

And I like Zappa. A lot.

>Rock was high art in the 50's, when it still had links to traditional music.
Yea Elvis Presley and Chuck Berry are as high as Zappa

Idiot

Rock has never been high art, which is why Captain Beefheart and Zappa are so important.

>I don't see his legacy having a lot of influence.
Are you serious? He made the first progressive and jazz fusion albums

They are much better than Zappa because they pioneered a new form rather than watering down classical music into a weaker form.

>Zappa
>Wankery

Have you ever listened to any Zappa album that is not his jazz fusions albums?
I don't remember any wankery in Freak Out! or We're Only In It...

Zappa was really a rare sort of musician and cultural figure, I think of him as sort of like the Mark Twain of rock music, where he decided to interweave disparate aspects of American culture, and musical culture together with a strong satirical bent.

hes fuckign lowbrow as all shit

That stuff is pretentious because it assumes it's "Art-Rock" or particularly "Conscious" rock while being incredibly overbearing and uninspired.

>Zappa is the Mark Twain of music

Holy shit that actually make a lot of sense.

>WHYYYYYYY DOESS IT HURT WHEN I PEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Yeah real high art there

>Zappa is the Mark Twain of music

Best analogy since Salsa King Crimson.

You didn't answered my question.

And Zappa's music isn't boring. There are so many things happening in his music that I can't imagine anyone getting bored of it.

>what is Miles Davis

Here is music where a lot is going on:
youtu.be/1GXHjxvSi24?t=78
youtube.com/watch?v=MS82nF85_gA
youtube.com/watch?v=Eab_beh07HU

Damn. This nigger knows what's up. Good toast.

No - Chuck Jackson is the most important person in Rock history and turned it into a high art without the gimmickry and before it was on trend - along with Fahey he was most influential

youtube.com/watch?v=EDlogCcye98

I honestly think OP is mostly right on this one
Maybe Zappa wasn't "the most important person in rock", but he was definitely one of its most groundbreaking figures, and one of the primary catalysts in pushing it to become so respected
Freak Out! is often listed alongside Pet Sounds as rock's first concept album, and alongside Blonde on Blonde as its first double album
Absolutely Free was one of the first albums (if not the first) to utilize long-form, multi-part suites in a rock context, and basically invented prog
Uncle Meat was massively influential in the development of avant-prog
Hot Rats was massively influential in the development of jazz fusion
He was even one of the first Synclavier owners, which puts him pretty far ahead of his time as far as electronic music goes

Good analysis

>zappa made the first prog and fusion albums
THIS IS WHAT ZAPPA FANS ACTUALLY BELIEVE

>people like Zappa and McCartney.
What, whites? I can't see any other connection between them.

>literal musical genius
>waste all that talent on shitty meme music

Both of their music was based around bringing classical music to rock.

McCartney sought to bring Beethoven, Zappa sought to bring Varese.

>owning a synclavier puts one ahead in electronic music
>despite electronic going since the 50s
stop that

shitty doo wop parody isn't high art, and after freak out many others had already done arty things in rock music before zappa caught up

>He was even one of the first Synclavier owners, which puts him pretty far ahead of his time as far as electronic music goes
His electronic music is better than a lot of his rock or jazz or classical music. It's extremely complex and very difficult to get into.

>He pretty much turned it into high art
I would also include other progressive rock subgenres and RIO, avant-prog (which Zappa was also one of the pioneers of).

Which isn't saying much because his Jazz especially is absolute shite

>Bach and Boulez in the same list as the Beach Boys

He wasn't a jazz musician. What are you even complaining about? Where's his Kind of Blue?

Beach Boys are just an example of more complex popular music.

>many others had already done arty things in rock music before zappa caught up
No one implied progressive rock pioneers are worthless because Zappa was ridiculously proficient and influential.

Oh, I know, I'm not saying he was on the absolute cutting edge or anything
But the fact that a well-known "rock musician" was working with a digital sampler in the early 80s deserves at least a little recognition

Oh boy, isn't the internet just great? Everything is a meme! I know you're just shitposting, but we're not talking about Filthy Frank and Poppy here.

What are you even talking about?

Well, the Beatles hardly pioneered anything other than popular music. How are they even comparable to Zappa?

please read posts before replying to them

>rather than watering down classical music into a weaker form
Alright, so "watering down classical music" is worse than jolly pop songs for teenagers?

Smile, Frankie!

ily smileposter

based smile poster

>hurr durrr to inteligent i only listen to classical music :-}

Not all music is about lyrics. Try listening to genres that aren't pop.

>WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTTT WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII PEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>Zappa fanboys actually think this is high art

what's your favorite album

There's something about his facial hair. Hypnotic.

I'm waiting for you to respond you Zappa loving faggot. Or are you too busy gargling his rigor mortis inflicted wiener?

>Dick, dick, dick, dick, dick, dick, dick.
>Lol Reservoir Dogs is such a shitty movie, can't believe Tarantino fanboys think he's talented

sorry I was doing something else
terrible taste

you happy now?

not him but based on the time difference between your post and his question it just seems like you were looking for some random obscure album to seem patrician

literally my most listened to album, Se Me Fue La Montuna is my favorite track, but ok boy, I'm sure your little mind can't comprehend the idea that someone would know anything more than what Sup Forums tells them to listen to.

Tarantino is trash.

and bitch did you even listen to it? I know it's a bit more than Peaches En Regalia but I think you can handle it

I actually like Tarantino a lot, Inglorious Basterds is his best, idk why you would bring him up

explain why you love it so much
I listened to a couple of tracks and it just sounds bland

I was trying to point out that it was a stupid argument
Taking one humorous line from a larger work and trying to claim the whole work is trash, ignoring the overall concepts/execution

Wow... I never think of it like that.

the album has more soul than most albums I've heard. The jangly guitar, combined with the more classic latin brass instruments and the percussion that is reminiscent of that in flamenco music, except heavier and louder, gives the album a very unique sound. Plus the harmonization on tracks like Suavecito is beautiful. The album also has a very raw sound to it, as if it's being preformed in real time right next to you. It has such a unique atmosphere to it that you are unable to find in other albums of its genre. To a casual listener, the likes that would think Zappa is high art, it might sound bland, but to the ear of a patrician it is a masterpiece. I don't know how anyone could hear Lejana Campina and not be entranced.

Please... staph.

>To a casual listener, the likes that would think Zappa is high art, it might sound bland, but to the ear of a patrician it is a masterpiece. I don't know how anyone could hear Lejana Campina and not be entranced.

>I don't see his legacy having a lot of influence.
He's probably the single most acclaimed avant-garde musician of his time, what the actual fuck are you talking about

Tons of musicians and fans today still listen to him and love him

classic Zappa faggot, unable to respond in the face of a true patrician, going for reddit tier memes to cover up for their lack of an argument, all the while ignoring the fact that the man who they fellate regularly was responsible for quotes such as this

What's wrong with that quote?

reminder that your argument against zappa is

you didn't listen to that record, and if you did you only listened to it today. it's generic cuban music that you dug up from sone random blog and wrote a half-assed review about to seem patrician.
just give up, no one is taking you seriously

Bad example, Tarantino is a really shallow director, artistically. A better pick would be Scorsese, who's still entry level, although much more acomplished.

It's pseudo-intellectual nonsense. If you think about the quote it genuinely means nothing. It holds no water. All it takes is a basic understanding of government to know that what he's saying is retarded.

>being so much of a pleb that he thinks Septeto Nacional is obscure in any way
Please, I understand the only afro-cuban music you've ever heard is Chan Chan by Buena Vista Social Club, but try to educate yourself. I understand that this is difficult for someone who takes a man like Zappa seriously, but if you start here eventually your mind will open and you will no longer care about that dumb dumb

AGAIN, THIS IS THE MAN YOU ARE DEFENDING

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII PEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

please dont do this

You don't actually like that album. You're trying way to hard to look like a "patrician" so you can justify your blind hate of a popular musician. You're embarassing youself.

>he still thinks that Septeto Nacional is some obscure band
aye aye aye, this poor boy, who let him have internet access? When will summer be over so he can go back to middle school? Was your computer science teacher the one who told you about Zappa? Is that where your love for him began?
I know that right now you're saying all this, but once you are back in school you'll be pretending that you love Sones de Mi Habana. You'll throw Joes Garage in the trash (where it belongs) and you'll go on to let your friends know how mature you are. Septeto Nacional will be your new favorite band. You can thank me now, for turning you on to music that isn't made by some retard who learned how to use big words.

I don't like Zappa you fucking pretentious piece of garbage, I came into this thread to tell you how much of a cocksucking faggot you are.
I don't care how obscure you think the record is, it's a random album you picked to seem more knowledgeable than you actually are and justify your hate of a musician you have no reason to hate other than "LOL HE WROTE SOME GOOFY LYRICS WHAT A DUMB PERSON AMIRITE".
Now fuck off back to whatever hellhole you cam from.

>getting baited this hard

I like getting into pointless arguments to practice my writing

i like getting into pointless arguments

this

Ugh, the classic response for people who take the bait. Notice how both of you said it? Jesus.

what a butthurt Zappa lover, so upset that he's now trying to deny the fact that he licks the butthole of Zappa's rotting corpse daily. Go listen to Machito, his work is a good entry point for Afro-Cuban jazz, from there you'll begin to understand what a real musician sounds like

we both said it because we're brothers. we have two computers and we like to browse reddit and Sup Forums together. we give each other karma too - Sup Forums should have an upvote system. it's the only thing that's missing

whatever makes you feel superior

>taking the "i'm so goofy, I was just fucking around the whole time" route
we can all see you were swallowing the bait, it's ok

im not convinced that isnt his favorite abum

It is my favorite album. My second favorite album is Pure Guava by Ween.

you dont actually like that album, you're trying way too hard to look like a patrician

I've never heard this before. Why must it have links to traditional music to be considered high art?

I think he pushed forward collage, comedy, and jazzy prog tropes forward at a time when they were not as common. He is influential, but maybe less so the more commercial an artist becomes.
These are three different things. Elvis basically was only famous because he was pushed by the industry, and Chuck Berry did a very particular thing that became huge later (use of electric guitar and riffs); but I think it was coming anyways. Zappa was obviously a much more innovative composer and conductor than either of them.
Beefheart and Zappa are probably more innovative than past artists, but calling it "high art" is dumb and a bugaboo term. "High art" isn't real.
Berry, and ESPECIALLY Elvis, didn't pioneer a fundamentally new type of anything. It very slowly evolved from the boogie of Louis B. Jordan. How does one "water down" classical with the material that Zappa was doing?
Great analogy
Laughed at the Beach Boys inclusion
>shitty meme music
And he still produced more important works than if he would have composed standard classical works.

This, but unironically.

I genuinely do. I also like Freak Out, Apostrophe, and Joes Garage

watch out where the huskies go and dont you eat that yellow snow

I absolutely despise this defeatist argument
Any attempt at making complex music is just watering down classical, clearly, the only purpose that popular music could ever serve is to be mindless entertainment, I know this because Adorno said so.

lolol