Any good new music being made on modular? I can only think of like 4-5 people who are any good

Any good new music being made on modular? I can only think of like 4-5 people who are any good.

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/ourexitbag/so-so-sufferers
youtube.com/watch?v=nFjTVpx2pYA
youtube.com/watch?v=x6hJa2lRRgM
youtu.be/9YYzx5PJIrg
youtube.com/watch?v=QD7ptOY1IvM
documenta14.de/en/public-radio/14719/based-on-a-true-story-chapter-ix
youtube.com/watch?v=DtP9OZFg4u4
feraltapes.bandcamp.com/album/the-hydra-studio-time
entertainment-systems.bandcamp.com/album/confidence-intervals
youtube.com/watch?v=3G1hRNLlYpg
soundcloud.com/umor/brett-naucke-executable-dreamtime
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitts's_law
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

People that spend thousands on modular gear rarely make music.

soundcloud.com/ourexitbag/so-so-sufferers

I produce and perform pretty much exclusively with my modular.

Everybody I've known who has one makes more music than any other artists I've personally known, they just don't record it.

is it music if it isn't recorded?

bump

All music gear is basically a conspicuous consumption thing anyway. It's not unique to modular.

yy... yes

This is pretty cool. So you take all of that to gigs?

what is that left case?

J Isaacs Hamilton puts on a dope modular live set.

no, smaller rigs always, essentials only

Enclave 12u flight, I dont recommend it. The make noise board inside is super clean though.

Meanwhile, with Ableton Live..

and max4live...

that shit is really as powerful as anything you could ever want

I'm not sure why you're assuming I can spend 15k on modular gear but can't afford to torrent ableton.

Base Ableton isn't really on the same level, but yeah Max is more versatile and powerful as a platform. I'll give a shit when it starts coming packaged with a piece of uranium with a geiger tube to derive random voltages.

>'ll give a shit when it starts coming packaged with a piece of uranium with a geiger tube to derive random voltages.

Why are modularfags such massive nerds?

cause your iq must be 120+ to get on the ride

For me, it's the opposite, I hate working with computers, I like something I can take away from a screen and work with hands. Uranium is just cool because it can kill me

youtube.com/watch?v=nFjTVpx2pYA

>mcdonalds commercial music
now i see the true power of modular

neck yourself, friend.

t. director of ads at mcdonalds

>I can only think of like 4-5 people who are any good.
Names please.

I can't really think of a nice tune that's come from a eurorack set up for like 2 years now.

Everyone's devolved into cliches.
For all the talk of 'muh endless possibilities' eveyone sure does like to play it safe - even the people operating off the deep end: they're the worst about it.

Jim Thirlwell just dropped this like two weeks ago. It's pretty good

That seems like a huge handicap honestly. Computers are much more powerful.

Yeah, that's why they handle audio rate modulation so well right

disasterpeace?

youtube.com/watch?v=x6hJa2lRRgM
I like what this guy gets. I'd still rather use software for this kind of thing.

Richard Devine is okay too but kind of samey.

Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith and Alessandro Cortini kind of bore me. I'm not into the minimal ambient thing.

>eveyone sure does like to play it safe
What the fuck does that even mean here? 90% of modular music is hopelessly inaccessible to most people and totally outside of traditional western scales despite there being very little modular music in the first place.

>Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith and Alessandro Cortini kind of bore me
That's why you're posting this fucking wonky elevator music garbage?

Audio rate filter FM is a weak point but I'd take a computer for literally anything else.

You can make 100 oscillators if you want, or 100 sequencers, or a 100 band filter bank, or a phase vocoder, or whatever you want. If you don't have it you can make it.

Wasn't even thinking of dudes in eurorack lmao.

that's neat i guess, but seems like a bit of a waste of a modular.

>What the fuck does that even mean here?
it means the scene is self referential and conservative in that regard.

>90% of modular music is hopelessly inaccessible
mostly because it's poorly conceived wankery.
people will walk away from it not for the reasons they'd walk away from a stockhausen piece.

>totally outside of traditional western scales
oh fuck off.

how is that even being a massive nerd.

This album is all modular
youtu.be/9YYzx5PJIrg

The newest Tobacco album has a lot of modular on it also, but it's definitely not 100%. Anything Lichens (aka Robert Aiki Aubrey Lowe) does is all modular, plus his voice through the modular. I've seen him live a handful of times and it's pretty mind blowing watching one dude make that kind of music live. Sure, there are a lot of rich nerds out there making fart noises with their modular, but I can guarantee if you listen to music that isn't just guitar, bass, and drums you've heard way more modular than you are imagining. The thing is most people don't feel the need to run around announcing it.

You think Richard D. James isn't using a shit ton of modular gear?

the argument that it could be done in ableton live makes absolutely no sense. ableton could be done on a modular synth too?

>v.snares and aphex twangs
i have no interest in 00s has beens recycling their trash for the 100th time on a different set up, thx.

>it means the scene is self referential and conservative in that regard.
Relative to what, nothing else? You're not making any point that can't be made about anything in a vacuum.

This is an important point. Most artists just don't talk about the shit they use unless they're trying to wring money from a vocal minority of the community with too much money and no talent

>mostly because it's poorly conceived wankery.people will walk away from it not for the reasons they'd walk away from a stockhausen piece.

Yeah, I think that's a major problem and it's primarily because of the focus on performance/improvisation over composition. If you recorded a bunch of farts on a modular, even with no plan in mind, and then arranged them into a piece of music, the results would be a lot more interesting than the typical formless wank jam thing that usually happens. I don't think there's enough reflection on that. In the end having two hands and 200 knobs means you're extremely limited.

That's why Subotnick is good, he approaches it as a composition, not a "jam".

>The thing is most people don't feel the need to run around announcing it.
Half the point of having a modular is advertising that you have a modular. Half the interest in modulars is because they look neat.

>ableton could be done on a modular synth too?
in practice, no, not really, you're going to run out of modules pretty quickly if you try to do anything the least bit ambitious

mine looks like shit

so that renders the entire format useless?

so what are you looking for then, mr. contrarian?

it means I don't buy that most people would use a modular without announcing it as loudly as possible

just like "no DAW, all hardware" is code for "look at all the cool gear I have"

people are going to look for any angle possible to make themselves seem special and unique

most underground circles in electronic music at the moment, but largely because everyone seems to be stuck in a rut right now. point was, eurorack scenes should be spawning a greater amount of diversity because of the principles somewhat inherent in the flexible nature of the hardware itself, let alone the mental autofellatio performed by most in those scenes espousing that very idea.

sounds that i've never heard arranged in such a manner that they appeal to my sensibilities. the last time this happened was rashad becker's first album - and lord only knows what he made that thing on.

>in practice, no, not really, you're going to run out of modules pretty quickly if you try to do anything the least bit ambitious

Why do you hate modular synths so much? There are only 16 posters in this thread, and 42 comments so I'm going to go out on a limb and assume at least 50% of the hate is from you (or the OP, if that's not you).

that Rashad Becker album is a classic. As far as recent stuff goes I liked that Matt Carlson album from last year a lot.

>sounds that i've never heard arranged in such a manner that they appeal to my sensibilities.
okay, I don't think you can expect anyone to infer what you have and haven't heard and what your sensibilities are, and complaining when something isn't what you're looking for doesn't really help

if you want to actually communicate with someone, maybe you should be more specific

also you can see what Becker is using here youtube.com/watch?v=QD7ptOY1IvM I think that's a nord modular of some sort right?

>I liked that Matt Carlson album from last year a lot
i'll check that out, thanks.

>I don't think you can expect anyone to infer what you have and haven't heard and what your sensibilities are
nor can i give you an exhaustive list of everything i've heard. just assume i've heard more than you, because it's probably true.

>and complaining when something isn't what you're looking for doesn't really help
helps me feel better tbqh.

>you want to actually communicate with someone, maybe you should be more specific
if i could specifically describe things i've never experienced before i'd just go make them myself.

it's mostly just playback of recorded material there. little to no insight into the process.

No, I get that, I just don't get the geiger tube and uranium shit, but fair enough.

The thing is, people using modular shit now usually have an aversion to multitracking and careful arranging and editing. In general the whole point of it is to have a fun workflow. Of course Tomita got good results with not very much gear, but he did like 60 overdubs to get string sounds. And that's not fun. That's far more tedious and labor intensive than software.

>can't comprehend knob per function

>sounds that i've never heard arranged in such a manner that they appeal to my sensibilities.

Did you listen to anything by Lichens or Tobacco from my earlier post ? Or did you just go to the easy dismissal with the two most well known artists?

>just assume i've heard more than you, because it's probably true.
actually no, it probably isn't

>non-sequitur dumb assumption

nice non-argument my man

oh and speaking of Rashad Becker this is also really great documenta14.de/en/public-radio/14719/based-on-a-true-story-chapter-ix

tobacco is garbage.
robert lowe's aright.

also, i like richard's music. still, it's hardly new.

what argument did you make?

This guy is GOAT

youtube.com/watch?v=DtP9OZFg4u4

This is garbage

A perfect example of exactly why everyone hates on modular these days

here's another modular recommendation, I don't know if it'll meet the high criteria that's been laid out but I think the execution of it is really outstanding feraltapes.bandcamp.com/album/the-hydra-studio-time

also just listened to this album last night and it was interesting, need to spend more time with it but I think it's worth checking out entertainment-systems.bandcamp.com/album/confidence-intervals

>I'll give a shit when it starts coming packaged with a piece of uranium with a geiger tube to derive random voltages.
>he doesn't know that the universe is fully determined and randomness is just a temporary lack of knowledge
loling at you f@m

it's impressive that you can cultivate a setup with so much potential and use it to make dull trash that would only take a setup about a hundredth of the size to replicate

I think you need to work on expressing yourself better. You sound like a whiny child.

It's okay but I have heard better and more interesting music from a famicom soundchip, this comes off a little as wankery.

>he thinks they look neat

underatted

Bump

yo bros
post me sum cool recs

youtube.com/watch?v=3G1hRNLlYpg
the classic meme

cool recs
cool recs
cool recs
cool recs

what part of cool recs dont you faggots get?
SERVICE ME
uhn tiss uhn tiss uhn tiss uhn tiss

guess what me n my mates want?

cool recs

cool recs

soundcloud.com/umor/brett-naucke-executable-dreamtime

hmmmmmmmm

i think i need some cooler recs

cool recs

cool recs

>much more powerful
Using a mouse to manipulate virtual synth parameters is literally Pic related.

i agree
but whats funny is that its like analogue but you use your fingers so its digital

WHOS GOT THE COOL RECS?

So? How much can you do at one time with two hands anyway? Knob per function isn't a good interface.

DA FUK MUH COOL RECS?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitts's_law
4/10 made me meaningfully reply

fuck you no cool recs

You're making a blanket statement using a term you don't really understand