This is to the user who was just "diagnosed" with anhedonia by fellow Sup Forumsros. Thread 404'd before I could post

This is to the user who was just "diagnosed" with anhedonia by fellow Sup Forumsros. Thread 404'd before I could post.

OP, I'm in the same boat with you. I've been told I have "depression" based on my symptoms. But I've never really felt depressed per say. There have been periods where I am sad, yes, but for me the main problem is a general lack of feeling / care about anything and a constant lack of energy. I have no fear, which is the worst part, because emotional pain no longer bothers me. In general, I am numb. Of course some days are better than others but the little enjoyment I do get out of things does not last for long.

But I do not want to be this way so I am trying to make things better for myself. Here's my advice which I've learned from my own journey. The hard truth is that life is what you make of it and true happiness can only come from within. I know this sounds gay, but it's true. I'll leave you with this link because when I read this article it had a big impact on me:
scienceandnonduality.com/?post_type=post&p=93935

Also, general depression thread. Discuss / trade stories.

bump

OP here. Not sure if you're serious. I've thought about this a lot. The thing is, I don't really have a reason to live. I'm not super sad or anything, but I also don't really care about anything. But I live for others because I could never put my family through that.

pretty much in the same boat as you except i have every reason to be sad and depressed, yet i find myself fighting to live another day the best I can.

i have a well paying job, parents, few friends, good colleagues, but when I'm in my room, alone, it just hits me hard - how long will this charade last? how long till I stop lying to myself that I'm okay

Seek professional help, that is all

Yeah, I spend most of my time alone too and that's when it's the worst. But it's not like I'm some autistic neckbeard fedora faggot. I know my life could be sooo much better if I actually put some effort in. But I just lack the motivation.

I do see a psychiatrist and I'm on a CNS stimulant. It definitely helps to give me energy, which in turn makes me more productive and happier. But I think I'm developing a tolerance and it really only masks the problem instead of solving it.

See a psychologist or an lpc or an lcsw, psychiatrists are just big pharma shills

I've been sick so long. Involving so much physical pain. That when I crashed my motorcycle (not my fault) the doctor asked me how was the pain and I answered "still not as bad as a bad day of IBS." His respose "ibs isn't this bad though." I sat there blankly...

I don't get how its so much pain daily.. And yet docs can't even understand it.

Honestly I've been thinking about that. He doesn't seem to do much besides give me pills.

That sucks dude. I've got a bike as well but I haven't crashed her yet. And idk... I've come to realize that not all doctors are of the same caliber.

I got one of those too. First day I met. I got prescribed pills. Took them 1 night and that was it. Gonna go back to him one more time but that's probably gonna be it.

They're not trained to do anything else

If you go see a psychologist, you're gonna pay the same amount of money and see them at least 3X longer for a single session than you would with a psychiatrist

A lot of people want an easy way out by taking pills, but sometimes there isn't an easy way

That was 2 years ago. After already have ridden for 4. So. Yeah.. Drivers here are just bad. I still ride. But my current bike is out for the count. I think a blown main bearing. Seems fixable just need to tear down the whole engine... *sigh*

I mean, the pills do help. But I do feel like something is missing or there's more that could be done. Personally, I'm pretty good at self reflection/ analyzation so I don't think "the talking cure" would really benefit me at all.

Ex heroin junkie here
Yeah turns out I was using to self medicate I have depersonalization disorder and I'm bipolar.
So they got me on 60mg Prozac 7.5mg busperon 200mg of seroqul and now since I'm off the suboxone (still dealing with the minor withdrawals) I'm taking 50mg nalextron.
I have stopped feeling strong emotions now thanks to Prozac. Sometimes I stare at my med bottles and think what went wrong?

This was meant as a reply to

And that's the other thing. The DSM5 is kinda fucked because literally any little thing can be classified as a "mental disorder".

Is your name Peter?

It works for some, doesn't for others. Gotta be open to it. You might be good at self reflection and analyzing but it's always good to have a second opinion or someone that can look at your situation from a different perspective.

Well that's the nice thing about bikes though, they're easy to work on! Mine's an '86 so I've had to do plenty of maintenance on it. I love riding it though, honestly because it's one of the few things that gives me an adrenaline rush and makes me feel alive...

Yeah it's not that I'm against the idea. I just don't really see how talking to someone is going to help me, or bring me to any conclusion that I don't already know...

Naw man Tyler

Technically you're right, but at the end of most diagnoses there's usually an extra line that says that these symptoms must significantly impair your functioning in various areas (social, occupational, etc.)

The dsm is fucked in general but that's a discussion for another time

Well this particular bike is an 05 gs500. I've been into the engine fully twice already. And this is a third time....so it's just one of those things. I got a lemon I suppose. I wanna go back to an sv650, or maybe try a 636. Or if I can make some money a nice big highway bike like a goldwing or something.. I like long trips. Comfort is key. Lol

Haha ok, well you've just got a similar story to someone I know. I wish you the best of luck man. I know addiction can be a hard thing to deal with.

It doesn't hurt to try it and see. You'd be surprised at how many people come into therapy and don't really think they'll get much out of it, but leave weeks later feeling much better

>implying significant impairment isn't a subjective measurement
>implying this somehow averts the massive amount of misdiagnoses

I've been to a couple sessions. I can't really make a general judgement based on that. But no one has ever been able to give me an answer as to how talking is supposed to make me feel better.

Ah yeah mines a Shadow 1100, so pretty similar to the Goldwing's. Carbs are dirty so it always misfires as I accelerate and there's been several other issues but it's still rideable.

It can help you explore sensitive topics, gain a different perspective on a topic, help you learn something about yourself you might not have known before

There's lots of different exercises that can be done, depending on the theoretical orientation that they use

Got any examples?

Socratic questioning, identifying and changing cognitive distortions, keeping logs of thoughts and feelings, etc

Sheeiiit negro, I alredy new dat shit!

Give them a try, can't hurt

Also, if a therapist just isn't working for you, get another, no big deal whatsoever