Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio:
mega.nz/#!dNtARY5Q!bfm7xOeRcRilrs3qkP-DAFUUKBW4DEcGQ_IR_PWkYo0
Mixing Engineers Handbook:
mega.nz/#!YUkgCJpR!bTX1gzqhD7fozTipk4XsRNiWQmHQXBx0T4pHMRvaURw
The Secret of the Mastering Engineer, Bob Katz
mega.nz/#!ZAE2EBCb!r0Hf0gho8pL7BlBJ6-6rJznB9SEhCG31NzNJUJX34tU

Audio Engineering and Acoustics ebook bundle
mega.nz/#!wEVAVbgB!hwd7vmzaZ9C6wAnVbqIQt37pNUpfpn0t2ecSjZGRNe4
(Bobby Owsinski - The Mixing Engineer's handbook 4th edition, The Recording Engineer's handbook 4th edition, The Mastering Engineer's handbook 4th edition. Timothy Dittmar - Audio Engineering 101, William Moylan - The Art of Recording, F. Alton Everest - Master Handbook of Acoustics, Rod Gervais - Home Recording Studio: Built It Like The Pros, 2nd Edition, Philip Newell - Recording Studio Design

Theory and Composition:
Music theory for musicians and normal people:
tobyrush.com/theorypages/index.html
tl:dr Music Theory:
gumroad.com/l/tldrmusic

Synthesizers and synthesis:
www48.zippyshare.com/v/20999348/file.html
youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M
youtube.com/watch?v=NMF8F9z7Zr8
beausievers.com/synth/synthbasics/
analogindustries.com/b1764/

Free VSTs:
bedroomproducersblog.com/free-vst-plugins/
bedroomproducersblog.com/2014/12/29/free-vst-plugins-2014/
Other VSTs:
pastebin.com/cCA5in17

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/3zb1c1gg?token=8f53e92aadca4826acdfd4b2f97c3320
vimeo.com/223378825
clyp.it/3edsoke5
clyp.it/5fmyzs2c
clyp.it/kajjhgds
clyp.it/jxjvgd5x
clyp.it/fpzajmcx
tho.mn/fi/m_audio_code_25.htm
clyp.it/bkmehzs2?token=d81c9b27ab89a794b3ce83437b375525
clyp.it/005pwigu
clyp.it/qsbgwt1t
clyp.it/oics4rmv
clyp.it/fn3b3n2b
youtu.be/UN_9nB37O_U?t=4m17s
clyp.it/syiqt3el
clyp.it/c2qn0wdn
clyp.it/z1nxr0fh
clyp.it/j4h3sn1u
clyp.it/o5cyyx13
clyp.it/5pcmuzbm
clyp.it/sqnnnaav
clyp.it/c0jsp3rl
clyp.it/53dacgvu
clyp.it/tmd0ikey
clyp.it/kwvgj301?token=62e7c38e489bdb07daeb41c4f2dd2564
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

clyp.it/3zb1c1gg?token=8f53e92aadca4826acdfd4b2f97c3320

First time working with vocal, friend of mine sang. We're halfway done with working on it. Any thoughts on mixing, the beat, and vocals?

video of how richie makes a track
this is official not a remake btw

vimeo.com/223378825

sounds kind of telephony and in the first part its being stepped over by other instruments, then it kinds of sits well but i still can't make up the lyrics think you should play with more than one track of it

haven't mixed it yet, but should i just ctrl+n?
clyp.it/3edsoke5

no it's going fine. I'd add more variation to the drums.

Anybody have trouble making good chord progressions and melodies that make you feel something? Do you think it's because of sucking, or just that there's no magic because you're the one making it?

I don't have trouble with it and I think it's because of my musical influences. Lots of vidya and anime music in there, which is very melodic and feelsy. Naturally, I struggle much more at sound design.

I'm not good at sound design either, but I wish I could at least be good at writing. Which is most important. I don't know. I don't watch any tv or play video games. I just try to make something that feels good, but it doesn't really work out.

i on the side can play leads but struggle to come up with original progressions

i think i like this greg universe guy too
clyp.it/5fmyzs2c

are the vocals cringeworthy guys, or i can post the track on the internet
clyp.it/kajjhgds

Tbh I can go for months playing the guitar every day trying to come up with a good idea and fail. Good ideas come all of a sudden. Having knowledge and skill allows you to expand on that idea and turn it into a whole song, but that is easy and can be taught. Getting the good idea in the first place is the tough part.

how do i get ableton to work with maschine, it wont show in the controller menu and its frustrating

More mediocre than cringeworthy.

wow great, thats where i aimed at

clyp.it/jxjvgd5x

Sup guys, i just wanna get roasted.
Criticism is highly appreciated!

Cheers!

it still fucks my brain that the dog just noclips the stick through that bottom right part

I think the vocals do sound too brittle in places. I'll try and decrease some effects, clean up the tracks, and mix it in nicer. Thank you.

Kind of the same. It's difficult to create a good progression for a good and worthy overall mood.

What was a point that you had some sort of "breakthrough" (in understanding something) that you use to better your music writing? Because you mentioned knowledge and skill.

I've mostly just been trying to get ideas and feelings down, but I think I'm missing a lot that could really fix my shitty ideas.
I need to learn more, because it's disappointing wanting to express yourself, but it just sounds boring or bad.

>What was a point that you had some sort of "breakthrough" that you use to better your music writing?
Learning to play classical guitar. Song structure becomes very evident in terms of bass - chords - lead, so then by just having one of those three elements you know what to do with the others.

It makes progress easier as well. If I'm stuck a the chord progression, I'll work at the lead melody and then fill with the corresponding chords, or I'll switch to the bass and see where that takes me. Likewise, if I don't know where to take a lead I can focus more on the chords, etc.

Also learning how scales work. I guess that's basic stuff, but it's crucial.

Bridge outsmarted

One of the most intricate album on the market was made mostly with tracker software, and there's still people who think they are some kids toys.

Anyone want to give me some feedback on this song? I'm still doing more with it, but this is where I'm at right now.

clyp.it/fpzajmcx

I got a question about midi controllers. There's a lot of 25 key controllers on the market and I am thinking of making a modular setup with two separate controllers, making the key count 50.

Full-sized keys with semi-weighted action plus aftertouch. example: tho.mn/fi/m_audio_code_25.htm

Will this work or will there be a conflict? I use software that is capable of accepting 4 midi devices at once.

Gets old pretty fast. Drums are decent.

Thanks. Would you recommend changing up the melody or adding more chord variations or just kind of everything?

Use it as a plug in?

Chord variation would probably help. I like drum variation too. Maybe adding another instrument or elements to retain the listener's attention through the track. Fast tempo is ear catching at first but gets monotone quickly.

Kinda struggle with musical terms in english, hope it's understandable.

Thank you for taking the time to answer.

Which do you usually start with? Bass, Chords, or Lead?

If there's anything else you can add, I definitely could use the knowledge.

Yeah, I see what you mean. Thanks for the advice, I'll see what I can do with it

clyp.it/bkmehzs2?token=d81c9b27ab89a794b3ce83437b375525

Does anyone know any good tutorials for making a groovy chillax track in fl? im looking for a scum fuck flower boy sound and literally all the tutorials ive seen are for house and techno music

clyp.it/005pwigu

i already posted this but i was thinking of going back and rapping over it, what do you guys think about it?

Lead.

Mood comes first though. I find it hard to be creative when in a very neutral mood. After you play an instrument for a while it's easy to express how you feel through it, so if you're very emotional it's simple to be melodramatic. A neutral state of mind is a boring state of mind so it takes more concentration. No idea how people who don't play instruments work.

Coming up with lyrics, even if just temporary, shitty filler lyrics help me as well. It sort of gives you a sense of direction when you've got a story to tell.

I'm usually lovey dovey, angry, or sad. So that's what gets me going.

I've never thought of lyrics. I just try to match lead or melody to the thought and rhythm of someone saying some words.

busy works beats made video on it.

anyone use any of these

URS Plugins
Waves SSL Plugins
Slate Virtual Mix Rack

how to sample with reaper

clyp.it/qsbgwt1t

drums exist

clyp.it/oics4rmv

how's the drums on this

why would you do that panning thing

Bark im a cat, mostly concerned with the muddiness of the low end and arrangement (specifically when the vocals get brought in). Any feedback that comes to mind is appreciated. Thanks y'all

clyp.it/fn3b3n2b

>clyp.it/jxjvgd5x
Is that UHHH sample taken from this? I don't even know how I caught that.

youtu.be/UN_9nB37O_U?t=4m17s

cause i thought it sounded cool

duh

I imagined seeing a show in which the drum is rotating around the audience while the rest of the band is in the stage.

yea

pretty cool right

somebody help me.

I got so frustrated mixing this shit, I'm going on a fucking walk to calm down.

Does it sound as bad as I think, or am I just overreacting?

clyp.it/syiqt3el

Synth is breddy dope, id just turn down the clap a lil and soften the snare with a bit of reverb or light filtering

Aight thank God. I thought I spent a big ass chunk of my day making garbage.

I got you on the clap and the snare though. I agree they're too loud.

clyp.it/c2qn0wdn
edgy music. Feedback appreciated.

Need advice. Not sure if i want to go to school for audio production. Part of me wants to go because i'll get the chance to meet people with the same interests, learn the proper way to do things and i'll be able to network with other artists but i also know it could be a waste of money and i would be better off to just learn by myself and buy my own equipment

Go for it. I'm sure bored as hell studying business. You might die any day, might as well do what you like.

clyp.it/z1nxr0fh

hows this
would rapping over it ruin it

this. literally making music/working in the industry is the only thing getting keeping me from become an hero. FUCK ACCOUNTING

Go for it.

Any of you know a place where i can get a lot of samples?

what samples

What's the easiest DAW to learn?

what kind of samples

I feel you user

is the beat itself decent?
just tryna get a second opinion on it

Probably fruity loops. It's pretty much the standard beginner DAW.

It's not really interesting. I don't see why not add some lyrics, it's pretty much background music.

in the last two days i did this
clyp.it/j4h3sn1u
which is a rework of the assault on precinct 13 theme done in a nin/health loud electronic style

and this
clyp.it/o5cyyx13
which is a straight up attempt to make something that sounds like health or something like that

would love some feedback, cos i'm thinking of doing an ep or an album all like this

i'm very pro ableton cos you really dont need to know a lot to start making stuff

any tips on making it more interesting

>clyp.it/3zb1c1gg?token=8f53e92aadca4826acdfd4b2f97c3320

christ, this is awful. vocals are completely overpowering everything, you need some bass melody in there

>clyp.it/jxjvgd5x
the guitar/bass sound in this is great.

drums are slightly too perfect/programmed for me but i get what you're doing and it's great.

I'd try adding sounds to the left and right, high and low. With that carousel drum it'll probably create a weird perception of space.

This is really good. Well done.

just have them both plugged in and set the octave setting on the controllers so it is how you want

rutracker

clyp.it/5pcmuzbm

Just finished and updated the song. What do you think?

can someone educate me on studio monitors?
can i get something that doesn't suck for under $200?
do i even """need""" them yet if i can just check the mix on several different speakers/headphones?

dont cheap out on monitors friend, i think starter good ones go at around 650 usd

you can wing it with several speakers/headphones while you get the money

That's way too much for starter speakers. Go with JBL LSR 305's.

i have the 8 inch version and i like them ive only been able to compare them to krk rokits though

how are the krk rokits

>krk rokits
rokit 5 are fire for the price point, usually around $150

i liked them while i was using them ive read alot about they dont translate your mixes well but i dont know if it is true or just shills

i ended up buying the jbls because the store gave me a better deal on the price

started this today
not that happy with it really
clyp.it/sqnnnaav

>way too much for starter speakers
>the spend cheap for noobs meme

if anything new producers need accurate monitoring more than anybody, if they have the money there's no reason to not go higher other than being a jew

lol

>can i get something that doesn't suck for under $200?
no

>need

the "anything is possible despite your shit gear" meme is a feel good angle to encourage new musicians not to make excuses or feel like shit about their budget setup- monitors are supposed to provide the biggest "window" into your sound. Think of those several reference points as tiny peepholes- the answer is no, it definitely matters to get good monitors. keep saving or get good headphones if you can't wait.

the guitar's not working for you at all
the keys should be an interesting synth patch
same for the bass
it bothers me that the kick isn't bitcrushed and you still called this edgy music lol

alright idea m8, pretty cool

>I'm going on a fucking walk to calm down.
sorry i lol'd good idea

why'd you make the kick so flat? I think that lead synth should be quieter

>Bark im a cat
T^T user no

vocals are definitely too quiet. the mud needs to be eq'd out, not made all quiet m8

bad sorry

some brushed snare or bass would be nice

i like the song but hate that disotortion on your voice wtf. not a fan of the piano either. reminds me of blur in the first half. try a bandpass and overdrive instead, no need to hide your voice...

boring but try rapping anyway man

yeah those synths sound hella out of place

why not just play it on guitar lol

then don't post it!!!

Im debating between getting a motu 624 or an apollo 8. RME is out of the picture because there are way to expensive for a rack mount unit. Which one should I get and why?

clyp.it/c0jsp3rl - kinda dunno where to go with the melody on this one. The chords are ok and the drums I tried finding something that kind of had a bossa nova feel to it but wasn't one-to-one. Do quite like the bass, though.

>it bothers me that the kick isn't bitcrushed
I'm sort of a newfag so I didn't know this trick. Just downloaded a bit crusher and it's definitely an improvement.
I like the bass a lot, I'd like to know what you'd change about it.
It's my first time recording guitar parts of such length so I'm having a lot of trouble getting it right, I'd appreciate any tips.

Thanks on the feedback btw.

clyp.it/53dacgvu
drums are placeholder atm and the guitar has terrible intonation but its a work in progress

Please critique I need it thank you

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ thanks user, any tips on how to get the bass to stay when exported from ableton? it keeps wiping it

bass isn't bad or anything but i think it should at least be sidechained or have an lfo adding a little movement to it. i would have put a more complicated patch there in place of it is all. just a style difference

i'm not at all a pro at nailing guitar sounds. until 0:55 i'd definitely go with a room mic/reverb, and a much darker tone

after, i'm not sure if it's the arrangement or recording, but it's definitely lacking something there.... maybe try changing the bass to match

>stay when exported
you fucked something up...

make sure you're exporting the arrangement and not the clip, everything's highlighted etc.

Alright. Thanks.

>lol
are they actually shit?

>the "anything is possible despite your shit gear" meme is a feel good angle to encourage new musicians not to make excuses or feel like shit about their budget setup

this, the first stuff you make is gonna be shit anyways, but you should really start now, ultimately what you are doing is making it sound good (on your shit speakers/headphones) and is practice nevertheless

at some point you gonna realize the technical limitations

>clyp.it/tmd0ikey
look guys i added another shitty beat to the garbage pile

(pls r8)

>at some point you gonna realize the technical limitations

desu i'm still mad as fuck that i got tricked into buying a 2i2 -____________________________________________-

see yeah they're shit, but nothing's great that cheap. jbl lsr and the yamaha hm/h series are what you might want to stretch for. those aren't great either but they're less shit. if that's all you can afford fuck it, just get crackin until you can do better man.

clyp.it/kwvgj301?token=62e7c38e489bdb07daeb41c4f2dd2564
What is wrong with this ?
Why does it feel like it doesn't lead anywhere ?

He seems to have a nice voice, why all the effort tying to hide it behind all the fx's ? Is it just for it to suit your desired aesthetic ?
Prod is pretty clean, just not my thing

Yo this is nice, me likey.
Would try to soften the keys a bit

Good ideas, maybe too early to get some constructive critisism if it's that much of a wip

>Why does it feel like it doesn't lead anywhere ?

it's cause you don't have any contrasting ideas. it's just full throttle the whole way after the 'drop'. try adding some more interesting chord ideas, periods of quiet, and/or stopping and starting. CONTRAST is key to get flow.

What's /prod/'s opinion on busy work beats?

Never watched any of his videos and he looks retarded in his big suit