Anyone wanna talk guitar shit? pic is mine. Fender Duo Sonic from 1960's...

anyone wanna talk guitar shit? pic is mine. Fender Duo Sonic from 1960's. Admittedly its a student model but it still has a great tone.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=U0KKftW8K0k
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Love the look of that guitar. Well worn. How long have you been playing? also
>tube
>solid state
>digital
pick one

Very nice! What strings you got mang?

just generic ernie ball 9s. i dont really consider strings to have the craziest influence on tone so i just go for something easy and cheap.

Beginner guitar player here. I bought off an rg350dxz from a friend who apparently didn't like it, and i have a used Vox VT20+.

Side note apart from the rig, anyone have any playing tips? Like what should i develop/make a habit as a beginner.

i've been playing for about a two years. and tube. its what i've always been used to, in guitar stores when trying out amps i've just enjoyed tube amps much more. never enjoyed digital that much. but i dont mind solid states.

2001 Parker, pre-refined master race

voxs are nice. not too bad for beginner. and tips i would reccomend just do scales. constantly. just always try to learn scales. it lets you improvise and make up licks so if you get lost in a song while performing you can just do some shit in the appropriate scale and just play your way back in the part.

sexy

it's relative tho, tone comes 90% out of your fingers and 10% out of your tools and as far as i'm concerned, heavier gauge of strings produce more tension on the guitar thus a richer more dense tone considering that more energy has to be put into the attack to make them vibrate

speaking of vibration, thicker/heavier gauge tend to produce a louder sound because of the extra amount of material and velocity produced from the tension they put on the guitar

SRV in his prime used to rock .014's strings(taking into consideration that 0.009 are ultra light gauge, 0.10 light and 0.11 medium gauges) and that's one of the main reasons he used to have the fat tone he had

but Tommy Iommi had an injury to fingers which led him to play 0.008's and he still had a great tone so it depends on a bunch of factors

Practice muting the strings you're not playing with the palm of your picking hand.

your guitar looks cool OP

are bassfags welcome?

A few of mine.
Dean dimebag rebel

>bass guitar
in theory, yes

Bad pic, but the Gretsch Streamliner, and the Breedlove Pursuit

of course

Anyone know anything about Takamine EF340SC '03 limited edition?

What it's worth? I can't seem to find any info on it

These are fun, good for finger exercises

Roadhouse Strat, Epi Les Paul semi-hollow, and a cheap Ibanez acoustic. A good acoustic is my next purchase, since that's what I play 90% of the time.

My first guitar was a re-issued duo-sonic from the 90's. This Kay Silvertone is my current guitar.

what's a student model?
instrument rookie here

Thanks user, ive actually been looking for something like that since i still dont have muscle memory over frets.

Check out the Breedloves for acoustic. The one I posted a little way up was about 500.00, and everyone that plays it loves it.
Has the built in tuner/amp as well, makes it nice not having to use the snark.

>Heavier gauge needs more energy
You just confirmed that you know nothing about what you're talking about and your post may be disregarded.
The thinner the string the easier it is to bend, but the lower the volume since it won't vibrate as much because of the lesser tension.
Obviously a higher gauge is the complete opposite of that.

SRV also tuned down to Eb. Fat strings and down tuning is the secret to good Strat tone.

Welcome.
I assume you are doing the minor pentatonics as well?

Here's my arsenal.

what i meant by energy is that you'll have to attack the string twice as hard as the thin string because of the tension it produce on your guitar

And here we go, the arguments start

exactly as the name implies. a guitar designed for students and practicing. but fender still made these guitars really nice so the still sound great. they're also smaller.

Sweet as fuck!

Indeed but still, even if he'd had played in E standard he probably would've stayed with 14's or worst case scenario 13's which is still impressive with the amount of feel and sound he could produce, dude had mad wrists and well developed elbow, arms and forearms to be playing this hard

sexy af. More!

Anyone play guitarsmith?

I've been dicking around with the guitar for a few years and just got it and I feel like it's made me a lot better in a matter of a week.

I always just played acoustic but now I'm getting more into electric and I'm wondering if any of the modeling amps are any good. It would be nice to just dial up the tone for a band and jam instead of needing 500 pedals.

Not saying Eb made it any easier to play those fatties. Just pointing out that down tuning a Strat has a huge impact on the tone.

Strat copy I built.
Was fun, but the painting part totally sucks.
Plays really well though, I'm happy with it.

I use the Fender Mustang V2.
I don't need anything large or expensive, and for a hundred bucks, it's great.
You can use the amp or the software to model and save to presets.

fucking awesome. i've always wanted to build my own guitar. i just get overwhelmed with all the electronics you need to buy. plus other shit

What kind of pickups did you use?

I'll never build another one, I'll put it that way.
End of the day, you don't save much money. And factoring in your time for labor, you don't save anything at all. The painting was ridiculous, I used lacquer. Lot's of gloss, lot's of hand polishing.
But you get the satisfaction of doing it yourself, so there's that.

why thank you

Texas Alnico Swaggers from Guitar fetish

i've been looking into learning guitar recently but can't decide if i should go acoustic or electric, and to learn on my own or pay for lessons. any opinions?

*stagger

a e s t h e t i c

electric because the strings are harder to play and bend so you develop better finger strength. then if your happy with it you can move on to electric and make it your bitch because of how easer the strings can be.

hnnngg

youtube.com/watch?v=U0KKftW8K0k

you said electric twice, clarify please

Start on acoustic. Take a few lessons do get you pointed in the right direction.

ew

Heh, we got's us a snob here.

lol

I'd say electric as well.
But I'd have to disagree with the other user who said the strings are stiffer. This all comes down to how the guitar is set up, and in an electric you get to have a say on how it plays.

Electrics are also a bit more forgiving for beginners, you can set them up with high action if you like to strum hard, or low action if you have a light touch and like to shred. In acoustics, unless you're a builder and know what you're doing, you're basically stuck and have to stick with how it was set up from factory, action and intonation wise.

Just because you don't like em'

lol @ u 2 >;^)

Thanks. Still don't.

hap p kids 2011 great sound also got a brio kiddocaster from 1998

Then you aren't shit with guitars. Anything that anyone enjoys playing is a good guitar, to them at least. And that's the only thing that matters.

There's one of you on every thread though, has to shit on everything. All good though, wouldn't be Sup Forums without your type.

this is my autistic guitar

As somebody who's been playing professionally for 6 years, you faggots like to hear yourselves talk about the "tone" of a body and your neat little vintage setups. Strings, pickups, preamp. Unless you're talking about acoustics, that's all there is to it's raw tone.

ok, cool. I'll stick to my tele.

>Admittedly its a student model
Yeah fuck off.

i assembled some strat model today still have to finish the headstock
if someone has a suggestion what i can write on the headstock let me know

that's... actually kind of amazing.

Framus BL-10, built in 1969.

Custom P90's. BL stands for Billy Lorento (Will Lawrence / Willy Lorenz ...) who designed both the guitar and pickups.

Great, great instrument!

even in acoustics, the wood type doesn't matter much (to an extent of course), it's all about the soundbox and how its joined to the body.

me and my guitar i mostly play spanish guitar

False

Nice!

avarage guitar player

My stuffs.

Fair play to you but seriously: who builds a strat copy? I mean every other knockoff guitar looks like a strat.

>tele
You just proved the point, good job.

thanks, honey

explain

i build a guitar not because i needed a good guitar or whatever i just felt like making something and making my own paint design etc

>make a habit as a beginner
perfect practice makes perfect, lazy practice makes crap.

Comes down to neck, bridge, and pickup choices.
You won't find near as many options with anything except strat style.

Okay. I get your point.

Still would choose a different design.

good body on that thing.

stop being so gay first post boi pussy now this nobody wannalook at this shit

Where my autistic metalheads with expensive gear at?

what does metal mean to you meshuggah and disturbed?

Here is what has an effect on sound:

1. Wood (basswood and bubinga aren't the same)
2. Pickups (no name pickups are shit)
3. Strings (Pure nickel for me, not steel)
4. Cables (cheap cables cut high end)
5. Overdrive pedal (The standard is the Ibanez 808)
6. Amp (this is the obviously very important)
7. Speaker Cabinet (low end or no end, your choice)
8. Speakers.(read Celestions have much larger magnets than even low end Celestions)

I had a friend once that had no idea pickups make a guitar sound different. My mind was kind of blown, he had been playing 7 years but never compared a Strat to a Les Paul.

I like a lot of melodeath and swedish stuff like opeth, bodom, amon amarth, entombed, carcass etc.

wow i wanna live your life amazing story bra

Looked like a balloon guitar in the thumbnail kek

I spent $800 for my bass but new it's like fucking $3400.

I had a Mustang from the same era, spangly tone and fun as hell to do all the EVH stretched licks without raising a sweat.

sexy as fuck

kek
the guitar of stachel

1. Wood does not make an audible difference on an electric guitar. Wood doesn't have an effect in the disruption of a magnetic field, which is what an electric guitar sends a signal of, a disruption of its magnetic field.

2. I will agree on the pickups, they do matter, but to say that no name pickups are shit is an understatement. Of course if you mean generic $10-15 a pair pickups, then yes I can agree, but it's all dependent on their magnetic and electrical properties.

3. Agree.

4. Cheap cables do cut high end, but this tends to happen more on the longer side of cables as well as passive pickups. Try using an active pickup with a cheap long cable, while there is some loss of signal, its very minimal because of the preamp.

5. Same is true for any other effect being applied.

6, 7 & 8. Agree.

You my niqqa.

This is my edgy piece of beauty

i'm a metalhead without expensive gear.

pic related, thats my axe

Wood has an effect on the way the strings vibrate.

A three piece neck through guitar with alder wings is going to be more responsive than a basswood guitar with a maple neck.

The biggest thing you will notice is "attack" when you hit the strings with a pick.

Basswood and bot-on guitars often have a "dull" attack compared to guitars made of harder woods.

Harder woods don't just add more clarity to attack, but they also result in more sustain.

I have played the same guitar with a mahogany body compared to a alder body and the attack was noticeably different, without the guitar even being plugged in.