Hey Sup Forums, I'm starting college soon. Anyone have tips for surviving and maybe even doing decently?

Hey Sup Forums, I'm starting college soon. Anyone have tips for surviving and maybe even doing decently?

Go to class. Study. Do the homework. Use a tutor if you start slipping.

it's just like high school. if you did well in high school, just do whatever you did. If you didn't do well, get a liberal arts degree.

if your roommate asks if you want to do shrooms the 1st night you are there, do it. trust me.

yes. take notes in class, do all reading, and constantly check the online posts daily. Nowadays teachers are lazy pieces of shit and will not tell you shit in class, but just last minute post it online instead. Its super easy to fall behind or fail tests because the teachers forget to tell students that everything you need to know is being posted on the internet instead of told in class. Had a couple teachers pull this horse shit on me and i failed one of the classes because of it. Her final was like 50% random questions from tiny little quote boxes in the book she had just picked out, 40% random shit she had posted online, and 10% actual source material or lecture material she had given in class

Shit, I didn't know that. Thank you!

go to class

smoke weed everyday

If you wanna become a Sup Forums or Sup Forums person, skip class, smoke weed, drink alcohol, go to parties, and get below a 3.7 gpa

If you want to devote your life to academic pursuit and become a /sci/entist, then go to class, read the textbook, don't smoke weed or drink alcohol (both are distractions), take a 4-year leave from Sup Forums and when you go to Sup Forums, limit yourself to /sci/ and /lit/.

I don't like this advice so I'm gonna ignore it

yea i thought i was killin it with perfect notes, studying, and doing the reading she assigned in class. Turns out i missed half the assignments that were being posted online and when wed get weekly/biweekly tests i wouldnt know shit on them. The incorporation of internet with education is an abysmal failure. Therye still fine tuning all the bullshit apps, and they pretty much look like a 1st year CS student programmed them still

>i dont know how to work internet
>i blame society for my failures

see u around my Sup Forumsuddy

About to start my 4th year of engineering. It's different than high school in that they spoon feed you small steps in high school and college lectures are a metric fuckton of information that you don't get as much exposure or practice with in class. So, you need to spend much more time studying and reviewing material outside of class than you did in high school, and this does not include time spent doing homework. Also, don't be afraid to get to know your teachers and even go to their office hours for help. But, if you do go, have specific questions for them. They don't like vague students or students that waste their time. Just study a lot outside of class and I made it a rule awhile ago to do at least one assignment every day, even if I didn't have to.

be on top of registering for your next classes. If you miss your day then the classes you need gets impacted and you will either be in a waitlist or beg for the class by crashing the class. Basically, learn when and how to register before hand or ASAP so you wont fall a year behind in college. Also make sure you know what classes to take and make sure you make a backup list of classes if the classes you need become full.

That's a little intimidating as focusing is not my greatest skill. Thank you for letting me know; I guess I'll just have to make sure I'm reviewing on my own time as well so I don't miss out.

That's a great reminder, thank you. I did okay this year but I need to be on top of it during next registration.

most colleges have a rate your professor site thats affiliated with your college. Check the reviews for your professor to see what is in store of the class before hand as those reviews usually talk about the workload and what is important in the tests also useful when choosing classes in the future

Oh, good to know! Having a good teacher is usually a big help for me when it comes to getting through a class.

Yes, register as early as you can and choose the best teachers you can from their reviews. That's important. Also, the advisors can be very very helpful in getting you into classes you need. Try to get to know one of your advisors well and definitely ask them questions and stuff. It's their job to help you.

It wasn't mine either. I learned the hard way. By realizing I need to step my game up or I'm gonna drop out. You'll be okay. I found the library on campus to be a great, distraction-free place to sit down and review material in between classes. Also take care of yourself. Like eat decently so you don't gain 20 pounds freshman year like I did and go to the gym when you can. Another thing is make friends. Friends become a HUGE support system for getting through classes, especially later on in the degree as the class sizes get smaller.

Yes, I'm already working on healthy eating habits. Or at least not eating completely shittily :P and my best friend will be up there with me! Th

(cont., sorry, Sup Forums fucked up)
e library sounds like a great place to study. My uni does have a pretty nice one. Thank you!

the books you need and shit, rent it on amazon for cheap. My bookstore sells my textbooks for fucking ridiculous prices depending on the book. Amazon usually has every textbook you need that you can rent out and give back later. There is also digital copy shit but some people are not good reading on a screen but can be like half the price. oh and make sure you get prime or order early. it kinda sucks when you dont have your boooks in the first week and fall behind in readings or work

Or you could not be a spaz and just plan out what days you could party and what days you should study. Its like you have to be a complete forever alone virgin nerd or a complete chad thunder cock what the fuck

Get off Sup Forums.

Dropped out; went back and graduated. Biggest lesson learned is focus on your teacher. A teacher is like a boss; pay attention and be conscious of pet peeves and what not. Put in the work while simultaneously appeasing the needs of your boss.

For example--my last semester, my teacher told the class "I would really appreciate it if you turned in your papers a week before class officially ends; I have other courses I'm teaching and I'm getting swamped"...everyone basically ignored him, but not me. I was the only one who turned in all requested work on the date given. Got an A. Listening and responding goes quite far in college. Put in the work and show that you've listened attentively. Slack will be cut in your favor...