AOTYSF

We're halfway through the year. What are the best albums of 2017 so far? Pic possibly related

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yEYQtURgI5g
youtube.com/watch?v=ZcoqR9Bwx1Y
youtube.com/watch?v=WL-8rU8ltA4
youtube.com/watch?v=VK_mZFdo-hY.
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

My AOTY so far too. Best comeback album in recent memory

Has to be my fav too.

this is only temporary, the new alvvays is probably going to blow this out of the water for me

probably the best this year

it's a grower

roCket

YO

Pic related. I don't see this album talked about much on here anymore.

Slowdive is definitely up there for me too, I wasn't too keen on the last track though.

Mac Demarco's album also deserves a mention.

Everything Everything are releasing a new album soon, so I'm sure that'll be a contender too.

there hasn't been any great albums released this year

This
You're Not as ____ as You Think
WYW
Or Crack-Up

this

and i just saw them at FYF this weekend, fucking incredible

i'll be seeing them in October
really fucking excited already

I hate Slowdive but the new album is cool and I love reverb/delay in live settings. How are they live? They're playing close by in Oct. Are they really loud or jammy or do they just replicate the studio versions?

will be my first time seeing them in october but why would you even think of going if you hate them?
surely theres other bands with reverb/delay that you can go see

Because the venue (Pappy & Harriets) is amazing and they have an outdoor stage which is where they are playing.
>surely theres other bands with reverb/delay that you can go see
Not at all m8 I live too far from L.A. and it's all just burger records rock bullshit in so-cal

tha emptyset album so fuggn goo mang

Remo Drive, Rocket or A Crow Looked At Me are my picks

Definitely. Kinda bummed it wasn't released on Subtext though.

Both of my AOTY came out on the same day

have you told your parents you're gay yet

Damn that's a cool cover. Reminds me of Currents.

oh they get real loud live, i think it's fair to say they are a lot more "shoegaze-y" when they play live

World Eater
No Shape
Black Origami

>implying indie garbage is AOTY material in 2017
kek

Pygmalion > Souvlaki > Slowdive

>World Eater
>implying video game music is AOTY material in 2017

De La Soul and the anonymous nobody

Algiers - The Underside of Power
Japanese Breakfast - Soft Sounds From Another Planet
Big Thief - Capacity
Blanck Mass - World Eater
Do Make Say Think - Stubborn Persistent Illusions

/thread

Bold

Wait did this leak already? I don't usually listen to leaks, but Idk if I can wait 'til September.

Did Sup Forums like Hug of Thunder?

Probably the new Avey tare album for me. I get that it's cool to hate on AC now but it's honestly on par with any acoustic Anco release, maybe even better in some ways.
Besides that I think the new fleet Foxes is up there too.

Apparently on some sight called my pet spider id like a link
I think its good but im sure there are more contenders for AOTY

I did, it's not AOTY material imo but it's highly enjoyable

Bro I like capacity as much as the next guy but holy shit how do you get over that stupid indie girl voice

Yes, but they still don't believe me

don't wait, it's really good, one of his best

Got a link?

these are all still my favs. the new ariel pink and slowdive are becoming favorites as well

youtube.com/watch?v=yEYQtURgI5g

>NoRedeemingQualities
Is it really that good? I haven't bothered with it yet.

Hate the person, love the album.

Post-rock flavored with mathrock and emo, the final 20 minute track was great.

yeah definitely worth a look if youve liked any of bones' other stuff
his releases this year have been pretty consistent

easily a 10/10

Either this or Rocket by (Sandy) Alex G

still this for sure

Honestly, it's probably this.

For sure it is. It has a variety of hip electronic genres all happening together to create something that isn't tired old indie shit.

between this or eucalyptus

best indie record in a loooong time

this or flower boy

it's nice to see a lack of DAMN in this thread

if I like Gas and the whole minimal genre what else would I like from this list, friend?

Really dig this.

>tired shit
>uses indie to describe music

Indie covers everything from garbage like that new Slowdive to the new Fleet Foxes to the new Mark Kozelkek to the new Phil Everum.

wtf i love indie now

hey friend. please name a vidya with music similar to World Eater. i know you can doubtlessly name several, otherwise your comment would be retarded, so please just name three for me. thaaaaaaaaaanks.

First song sounds like Banjo-Kazooie trying to sound vaporwave.
Second sounds like the boss battle for any metroidvania game.
The rest sound like your standard nintendo platformers with more percussion.

If you can't see it, then I doubt specific titles will really help, seeing as you've played very little games. But if you need specific track comparisons due to that, I'll get some.

Just going to list albums that are noteworthy this year to me

Mount Eerie-A Crow Looked At Me
Sorority Noise-You're Not As ____ As You Think
Father John Misty-Pure Comedy
Big Thief-Capacity
Kendrick Lamar-DAMN
Jonwayne-Rap Album Two
Remo Drive-Greatest Hits

I've also really enjoyed Saturation by Brockhampton but it's not in that list for me. And although these aren't really albums in the traditional sense, the scores for War for the Planet of the Apes by Michael Giachinno and Dunkirk by Hans Zimmer are both fantastic.

>it's a grower

aka its not that good buts its current aoty

sauce? sorry i'm lazy.

so you named a single game, and then an entire genre, and then said "et cetera" for your third answer. then you closed with asserting how i simply don't understand enough about video games to comprehend the true power level of your answer.

can you come up with specific track comparisons? i'm very happy to be wrong about this, because it's fun to trace lines about where artists draw inspiration from. but please take half a moment to put yourself in my shoes -- it sounds like you're just a shitty backpedaling liar who didn't expect to have his position even lightly challenge.

>Remo Drive-Greatest Hits
Not really noteworthy

Lmao, get fucked. If you can't hear how some songs sound like other songs without looking at the fucking song structure, you're retarded.

I'm not listing things because I expect my position to be entirely obvious. Take the tempo and instrumentation of Rhesus Negative. Compare it to this youtube.com/watch?v=ZcoqR9Bwx1Y which by title, is a direct reference to the style of music of an entire genre of games.

Compare the composition of these tracks, particularly The Rat and Hive Mind, to any game soundtrack that accompanies fast-paced gameplay. Games like youtube.com/watch?v=WL-8rU8ltA4 or youtube.com/watch?v=VK_mZFdo-hY. I'm trying to use recent examples as to not draw from countless metroidvania titles. Tell me you don't see it?

Underrated.

Do you honestly not see how World Eater sounds like it fits in a video game? Have you only played FPSs?

i wrote a long, snotty reply to your post calling you a retard. and then i deleted it because, because you answered very sincerely, you deserve a fair response, and i don't want to be MAD ON TEH INTERNETS.

so instead of being a dickhole, i will very politely say that the things you linked to all sound like warmed over KMFDM or b-sides from Fear Factory.

i think the vidya music you're referencing draws heavily from industrial influences from the late 80's into the early 90's. and Blanck Mass is what passes for contemporary industrial these days.

so, respectfully, is it perhaps more concise to just say that World Eater just rehashes industrial tenets from 20 years ago, than to espouse some roundabout position that it's crib'd from video game music that ALSO stole from the graves of Ministry?