Best music player for the current year

My ipod classic has shuffled off this mortal coil (to an earned rest eternal). Im considering a new Sony NWA-A17 as replacement. Is there a better model out there for audiophiles or would a real nigga invest in repair options for their classic?

check out the products from FiiO. very affordable

You won't find anything with a higher capacity for a price that isn't a total ripoff (thanks Apple for not allowing microSD on the fucking iPhone, thereby slowing the evolution of portable flash memory!). iPod classic HDDs are replaceable but getting harder to find as they're now discontinued. I say invest in an Android phone and install Poweramp.

They seem to be the best vlue for money, but im tempted by the 128gb expendable memory and 70 hr battery life on one of the sony models, but boy do they extract a premium.

Im kinda looking forward to not having to convert .flacs to apple lossless all the damn time. Does the phone strat work for android?

You're on the right track, but mSATA SSDs up to 1TB are readily available (if a bit pricey at the higher range). My setup is an iPod classic 5.5, 1TB samsung 850 evo mSATA ssd, and Rockbox firmware. Plays 30000 hours of FLAC.

Oh, and with this method you can cheap out on an iPod with barely any storage and upgrade it yourself. Just don't buy an upgraded iPod, mine cost me about $400 total to get the iPod and upgrade and equivalent players are on sale for $1,000.

A phone.

I'm the proud owner of 2 iPod Classics. I girl i knew repaired one of them in front my eyes. They are extremely easy to repair and replacement parts can be ordered no problem over the net.

I'm sorry for your loss OP.

Also try to see if you can buy a used classic in good shape.

RIP

t. dirty, dirty phoneposting plebian

16gb ipod nano 4th generation is still the best media player Apple ever made
No disrespect to the Classic however, but the portability of the 4th gen nano relative to the Classic is what makes it so good

Not OP, but I have a classic (works perfectly fine, for now...) and your post has reassured me that there is hope if something were to happen to it.

I mean seriously, I feel so bad for someone who's owned one of these and put so much time (and possibly money) into one of these and then boom, it's fucked.

I can't imagine any person actually needs more than an iPod Classic's worth of storage, no matter what we tell ourselves. Samsung Galaxy S8's now come with 64GB built-in and up to 256GB expandable so the people saying use use phones aren't totally off the mark.

the FiiO DACs no longer work with windows 10 after an update and FiiO don't want to fix it and it's pissing me off

I just bought the x5 3rd gen on amazon
laptop runs windows 10
am I fucked?

The Onkyo DP-X1 seems like the best out there, anyone here tried it? How's the software?

I had mine for about 6-7 years and for a few years I was using for hours each day, the harddrive finally gave up. I could fix it, but it looks like a huge hassle.

I think you might be, if for some reason in the next few month anything that plays audio stops working (like yourube and winamp) now you know why.
something to do with device signatures

I bought this to distract myself from suicide brb an hero

iktf, got myself a really nice knife to cheer myself up for blue times, it was taken by the police and I got in trouble with the law

L O N D O N?

England is my city, not London but close enough

you can still get a new iPod classic provided you already own one and it doesn't work at the Apple Store. If the warranty is expired, you pay $150 or $250, which is relatively cheap for a new one. I replaced mine 2 years ago, and it was totally worth it.